• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 875 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 875

Act 3: What do you Believe?

ACT THREE

The images skipped then to the day of the trial. It was a very hot day, as it was summer, and the Pegasus Ponies were performing their weather duties elsewhere as was arranged by the Cloudsdale council. There were other places all over Equestria that needed rain and strong cool breezes more than Canterlot did.



Still, it was only the first day of court, and in those days of Equestria, the Jury was selected by interview in court itself, cross-examined by the prosecution and the defense.



Many ponies from all over Canterlor wowed and cheered for Shady and his Prosecuting attorney pony as they proceeded to the courthouse, while many ponies booed and taunted at Drummer as he approached the courthouse alone, as he was the defense attorney.



“Blasphemer!”



“Take you science stuff, and go home!”



Drummer merely took the insults with humor, “If I didn’t know any better I’d say they didn’t like me.”



He didn’t let it discourage him as he preferred to concentrate on his case.



The courtroom was a simple place. Many ponies in town wished to attend, greatly siding with the prosecution, but the defense was not without its siders as well, and mainly a bunch of students, teachers, and even colleagues at the firm of science and technology, angry at the way people were scoffing at science being an enemy of friendship.





Reporters for the papers were busy taking photographs and working on their typewriters, which were special enchanted with magic not to make noise as the ponies typed, but much to the Judge’s displeasure.



She was dark grey unicorn with a light brown mane, but very strict and determined to maintain the order of the court.



She used her magic to bang her gavel, “You will kindly desist with the taking of pictures for the moment.” she ordered. “We shall proceed to select our twelfth and final juror. Is the defense ready?”



Drummer nodded, “Ready your honor.”



“The prosecution… Mr. Shady, are you ready?”



Shady’s attorney stood, “Proceed, your honor.”



Shady nodded in agreement.



The last pony to be called to be questioned for jury duty was a simple White Unicorn, with a golden yellow mane, and his name was Night Light.





Much to Twilight’s astonishment, “Night Light…? That’s my father’s name!”





Celestia nodded and confirmed, “That, Twilight Sparkle, is your father’s grandfather, and your great-grandfather.”





Twilight was ever so astonished. Her great father was already deceased before she was born and she never knew much of him from what she studied form her family history. Only that he was a simple farm pony from Canterlot.



He even had his picture taken by the reporters, forcing the judge to bang her gavel angrily, “I thought I had made myself clear about those pictures?! I will not say it again!”



The photographers put their cameras down, while the other reporters worked on their silent typewriters.





“Shall we continue!” shouted the judge.



Shady then stood, “Your honor, before we continue, I would like to present a small gift to this court, as a motion to a matter of procedure.”



The judge adjusted her glasses, “And what sort of gift is this, and how is it a motion?”



Shady stated, “Due to the sweltering heat outside, this courtroom has become rather steamy for proceedings. Therefore, out of the goodness of my heart, and a gift to all, I shall like to present the courtroom with these…”



He motioned towards the door and several unicorns came in presenting large electrical fans, much to the pleasure of the crowd, and even the judge was touched by this gift, and she allowed the motion to pass, as she herself was discomforted by the heat.



The crowds cheered and blessed shady, much to the chagrin of the defense. “Case hasn’t even started, and already it’s like he’s trying to bribe everyone to think his way.” groaned Rates.



“Don’t worry about it.” said Drummer “It’s against the law to bribe the court anyway, and besides it’s better than sweltering.”



Rates sighed, and then looked over his shoulder at his beloved Petal Dance, who was sitting in the crowds, on the side of the prosecution with her father. Most likely, Preach Choir demanded she show her faith and side with him, but she gazed lovingly at him, giving her all her best hopes, much to the charge of her father, and other members siding with a the prosecution.


Once the fans were plugged in and switched on, the courthouse felt a little cooler. The judge then declared, “Now then, we shall proceed in the selection of the final juror.”



The two represent ivies nodded, and the belief approached Twilight’s Great Grandfather. “Sir, your name and occupation please.”



“Name’s Night Light, I am simple farmer, but I wish it to be known, I believe in the faith of Celestia. I believe in magic, and I have more than a lot of belief in the power of friendship.”



The crowds were bedazzle by his speech and cheered him on, until the judge banged her gavel demanding silence.



Shady’s attorney stood, “Well, I believe it’s safe to say the prosecution deems this pony acceptable.”



“And may I add… Bless you sir, for your kind devotion in our cause.” Shady added. Night Light nodded thankfully.



“Mr. Drummer…?” the Judge called.



“No questions.” Drummer simply replied, and without much hesitation, much to the confusion. “I see him fit. I have nothing to question him about.”



There was an outbreak of chattering, and the judge banged her gavel.



“I object to this.” said Shady “I find it quite baffling to the defense attorney rejecting to questioning a noble citizen without questioning.”



Drummer turned and gazed at Shady, telling him, “Unlike yourself, Mr. Shady, I choose not to judge someone simply of their beliefs, as the way you and your followers have at us scientists.”





“The objection is sustained.” The judge declared “You should at least ask the witness one question, Mr. Drummer, in view of proper proceedings.”



Drummer sighed, and complied, “Fine, I will ask him a question.”



He approached Night Light and asked him simply, “What’s one plus one? There, I asked a question.”



Everyone burst into laughter.



The judge demanded order, and the prosecutors were outraged, but Drummer repeated, “As I have said, I have no objections to this pony being on the jury, just as I am not protesting to his beliefs and faith.”



“Your honor!” snapped Shady “In the case of which, I will not hesitate to ask questions. If you will permit so...”



“Very well; Proceed, Mr. Shady…”



Shady stood up, and approached Night Light. “Mr. Light, you have a family I presume?”



Night Light nodded, “I have a wife, and she expected to give birth in few months.”



“Well then, tell me sir. When your children are all born, how you rather they be brought up: Either basking in the glories of friendship and magic, or learning of fancy science tale…”



“Objection!” snapped Drummer “We’re supposed to be selecting jury members, not denouncing them. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was telling you of earlier.”



“Objection sustained.” declared the judge.



With that, Shady asked a different question, regarding Rates, “How do you regard the defendant?”



“Dr. Rates? Well… I hardly even know him. He came to my farm to buy vegetables, and paid his bill normally. I can say he’s an honest and hard-working individual.”



Some of the crowd began to think differently about Night Light. He had stated he was a faith believer, and yet he wouldn’t hold Rates in any contempt.



“Well, I can see Mr. Light here is an honest and faith-fearing pony himself.” said Shady, “I still accept him.”



“Very well, Mr. Shady…” said the Judge, “Mr. Drummer, do you still wish to ask no actual questions?”



“No, your honor. I shall ask...” replied Drummer, and he approached the witness, “Now, sir, you have stated that you are a faith believer, yet you don’t hold the defendant in any contempt whatsoever. Is that true?”



“Well… yes, I can’t really say much about a pony I don’t even know.”



“Tell me, something… do you know how to read?”



Night Light felt stunned…





…Twilight felt just as stunned.







“Why… yes I know how to read.”



“What sort of things do you read? Poetry, engineering, math, history; or maybe even science…?”



“I… uh… I’m not sure.”



“Did you ever curl up one night in bed, unable to sleep, picked up a book of science, read it and found its passing and teachings to be somewhat fascinating?”





Shady wasn’t going to take this standing down!



“Your honor… the defense attorney is deviating from the issue at hand with all these hypothetical and irrelevant subjects.”



Drummer sneered at Shady, “I am merely trying to establish what he believes in the form of science, just as you did with your questioning him in his faith, and you have already accepted him… haven’t you?”



“All I wish is a fair trial, and a good jury to make it.”



“…And so do I, Mr. Shady, but it seems to me you are only interested in finding supporters to your own cause. What, you wish to pass every-pony through inspection, keep all the ones you like to yourself and disregard all the rest over petty and illogical reasoning?”



The Judge banged her gavel and sneered, “Gentlemen, you are both out of order! I hereby rule that jury has been selected.”



She banged her gavel hard, and at the precise moment, all the lights went out. The electric fans and all their plugs overloaded the circuit-breaker in the building.



The maintenance ponies jumped straight to work and promised to have everything working and much better soon.



The judge decided, “Due to this power failure, and the incoming the intense heat… court is adjourned until tomorrow at midday.”





Ponies began file out, and Petal wanted to go over the Rates and talk with him, but the belief already took him along, to take him back into custody. As he walked off, he looked over his shoulder at her, with a comical look on his face; a look of hopelessness.



As he was removed from the courtroom, ponies began to slur at him.



“We’ll fix you, Rates!”



“We’ll run you out of town!”



“Fascist!”





Ma Wool took a moment to slander at Drummer, “You scientific scoundrel! We’ll burn you at the stake!”



“On what law, ma’am…?” Drummer sneered at her “I do not believe they burn ponies at the stake anymore. Now, I suggest you leave before you are charged with threatening.”



Ma felt insulted, but left graciously.







The friends watched as Rates was taken away, and they all felt a mixture of sadness for him and Petal, and anger and outrage at the proceedings. “Well was pathetic…” snapped Starlight “All they did was pretty much act like spoiled ponies arguing over a bright shiny toy.”



“Poor Rates…” cried Fluttershy “He seemed so helpless. I wish I could be there to comfort him.” she knew she couldn’t as Rates was just an image, but the others all shared Fluttershy’s idea, feeling Rates really needed a lot of comfort.





Suddenly, Petal couldn’t take it any longer. “Wait! Hold it!” she called as she dashed up to Rates, much to her father’s disapproval, as hinted by his shaking his head.



“Beck… Beck, please… I can’t bear this anymore; you have to call this off right now.”



“And, who are you?” Drummer asked.



“This is Petal Dance, my fiancée.” replied Rates “She’s the daughter of the Preacher.”



“You mean Preach Choir?” asked Drummer “Oh, boy, this puts a big explanation on some things.”



Ignoring Drummer’s slandering, Petal begged her fiancé, “Beck, I can’t stand the way others are looking at you, and they might turn on me next. Can’t you see, they’re just using you as an excuse; a pawn to turn you against your country-ponies.



All you’re doing now is just making things worse!”



Rates felt shocked that she said such a thing to his face; and he wondered if perhaps her father had something to do with it, knowing what kind of pony he was!



It was Drummer who spoke up, “My dear, you must understand, the world we live in is shrouded in mysteries waiting to be realized, and understanding in those makings.”



Rates sighed, “Well I don’t seem to understand anything anymore. All I tried to do was teach about alternative idealisms, different choices, but no… every-pony looks at me like I’m some kind of murderer! All because I was trying to open their minds; give them a little knowledge they could use!”



“Well they are using it…” said Drummer “They’re using it against you, or at least trying to. After all, in a way you are murdering their beliefs, their fairy-tales.” he chuckled “Well they seem to be acting accordingly; they want to bring down a wrath of protest and stones upon your beliefs like they did to ponies of the past for their ways.”



“Please, stop!” cried Petal “I can’t stand the way you speak of it, you make it sound like it were all a joke.”



“My dear…” Drummer said, and he looked her deeply in her eyes so that she would pay attention, “I’ve already seen enough to label this whole as ten jokes, but I understand what Dr. Rates is feeling. I know what it feels like to be shunned, to be ridiculed, poked and prodded at for what you believe in and what you wish to stand for.”



He stopped and then looked at Rates, “Well sir, that’s what I’m here for; not to change ponies’ minds, but to defend you because you got yourself into this. You were standing up for something you believed in.



But what happens if someone walks up to you and offers you shelter and food, but under the notion, “Sir, I ask you to think like me. Believe what I believe in. Like what I like, hate what I hate, and never question why.”



Petal and Rates both felt struck by his preaching.



“Well, it’s up to you, sir.” said Drummer “But consider this… Look at me…! I have works published in a order of scientific education, I’ve defended many like you before when they were down and had no-pony else to turn to…





…And did I get here because I let other ponies push me around and tell me how to live my life, and what was right or wrong?”



A moment of silence followed as Rates thought it over hard.



“Well, think of it.” said Drummer “Is the law right and are you wrong? Just say so, we can change the plea, the whole thing ends and you go right on with whatever you think is right…



…Unless of course, you know the way they think is wrong for you.”



With that, he said no more, and packed up his briefcase to go prepare his case.



Petal knew there was only one thing to say to Rate now…



“Beck, listen to me. I love you… and I want to be with you, and raise a family, but how can we if things stay the way they are now? I want our children to grow up not being hated and scorned, but well respected and understood among others. But if things stay the way they are now, I don’t know what to think.”



Rates hated what he was about to say, but ultimately it came out, “Well what kind of life could I give them if I gave up?



I told you before, Petal… I can’t live a lie. I won’t do that. Plus, if I quit now, nothing will really have changed for the better. Every-pony would still hold it against me, they don’t forget things like this, and what about others who are with me by my side; those who want to think like I do and bask in the glories of options?”



Tears were flowing down Petal’s face. It was as if he was trying to make her choose, and this was ultimately confirmed as he said earnestly, “Petal, I can’t live how you want me to, or how they want me to. That’s not even friendship or magic, it’s nothing more than blatant dominance.



It’s your choice, Petal, but you need to pick your side.



What is it going to be: Living in ignorance and lies, or standing up for rights and freedom of knowledge?



Is it me or your father, Petal? …You cannot have both.”





Petal stood where she was, feeling her heart-breaking.



“Let’s go, Rates. You’ve taken long enough.” the bailiff said, and he took Rates off with him back to the jailhouse, leaving Petal all by herself in the empty courtroom.







The other six friends felt as heartbroken as Petal looked. No one said a thing, it was just so heart-wrenching to see a mare torn between her family’s beliefs and the one she loved.



What was Petal going to do? ��ި�"