• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 876 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 876

Act 6: Wishing for Fairness

ACT SIX

Poor Petal, she softly stepped down from the witness stand, and excused from the court so she could recover.



The friends were all outraged with Shady. The way he had just behaved, he was starting to show his true colors. “He’s no scholar, he’s a loudmouthed control-freak!” grumbled Starlight.



Twilight and the others agreed, and Celestia was infuriated with what she had seen. Even though she had seen this before when revisiting the images, it still burned her greatly inside she had not been their live to witness it all.



“Had I been here…” she stated “I would have personally demanded that Shady being held in contempt for his behavior and actions, and charged him with offenses!”



It also brought on great shame to her, remembering it was the fact she couldn’t really raise the sun being discovered that all this began, not to mention how she passed the law.





The trial continued…



“Does the prosecution have any other witnesses?” asked the Judge.



“No, your honor.” replied Shady’s attorney “The prosecution rests.”



“Very well,” said the Judge “We shall proceed with the defense’s case… Mr. Drummer.”



Drummer stood up, and maintained his calm demeanor though he was highly infuriated with how Shady had behaved. Still, he felt that without Petal’s testimony, he could still win the trial with other witnesses he had called in that day.



“I should like to call to the stand a friend and colleague of mine from Ponyville. Dr. Rocky Roads; geologist from the university--”



“Objection…!” Shady cut in “I think I speak for all of us when I ask… How does a geologist fit into this case, and what possible relevance he has?”



“And just what do you mean by that?” snapped Drummer “My client is on trial for teaching sciences and naturalisms. Surely any testimony to this so-called infringement of the law must be submitted by that of an expert.”



Shady shook his head, “It is irrelevant… impossible… improbable.”



Drummer tried talking to the judge. “Your honor, I wish to call my colleague to the stand to demonstrate to the jury the actual meaning of sciences and naturalism. Surely judgment cannot be passed if the jury is not shown this evidence.”



Before the judge could even speak, Shady stood and declared, “Surely we must not forget the law in which we are surfacing excludes such teachings in methods that are used to go against the prophets of magic and friendship.”



He then turned to address the crowd, “You all made it clear that you do not wish any of this scientific hogwash going around town. I refuse to allow any such agnostics to be allowed to preach of any such information.”



Drummer felt shocked at what Shady had just said about science, but unfortunately the judge ruled in his favor, “Mr. Drummer, the objection is sustained. The court rules that Geology is irrelevant in the matter of this case.”



Drummer glared sternly at Shady, “…Agnostics, Mr. Shady? Is that what you think of them, or me?”



Shady didn’t respond and merely stood by his pride and sat down again.



“In that case…” said Drummer “I call to the stand, Professor Cumulus White, from the department of meteorology in Cloudsdale, and teacher of philosophy and zoology of aerial-creatures.”



“Objection!” snapped Shady.



“Sustained.” declared the judge.





Drummer was losing his patience, and he spoke to the judge, “Do you mean to tell me that you also rule out any evidence presented in zoology and meteorology?”



“I’m afraid so, Mr. Drummer. This court will not be submitted to any evidence that is not relevant to this case.” She handed him a list of all the things that were ruled out.



-Archeology

-Biology

-Ecology



…Just those and more practically ruled out every single witness Drummer had intended to call to the stand, and didn’t leave much for him to defend his case with.



“Your honor, I protest to this!” he sneered “How am I to defend my own case if you will not allow me to call forth my own witnesses, which I have called at great expense and inconvenience to bring here, and present my own evidence.”



“As I have stated, Mr. Drummer…” said the Judge “The court will not be submitted any evidence that is irrelevant to this case.”



“Well I fail to see what makes it so irrelevant.” said Drummer, and he turned to address the entire courtroom, “I also fail to see what makes science and its teachings such a crime in the community or why it is that ponies like Mr. Rates and myself and those like us should be treated unfairly for being a part of that world?”



Shady’s attorney chuckled at such an inquiry, and replied “This community, Mr. Drummer, clear knows what it wishes, and the voices of the law are quite clear! We do not wish to have these experts here to tell us anything that questions the law or those wishes.”



“Well what do you wish?” sneered Drummer “Do you wish for; a giant guillotine to lop all our heads off with?”



The attorney’s features hardened, “How dare you make such an insult to this community!”



“Well how dare this community behave in such a deserving manner!” snapped Drummer, which made the crowd gasp and chatter in outrage.



The judge banged her gavel to quiet the crowds, and then Drummer proceeded to tell her, “I wish to declare a mistrial!”



The crowds gasped again, and even the judge was shocked, and Drummer already began to pack up his things.



“Mr. Drummer, you can’t!” cried Rates “You can’t quit now.”



“Why not…? You were about to a few moments ago, and it’s clear they don’t care about what we have to say, and I’m not pleased with the attitudes going on around here. I’ve seen kangaroo courts that were more merciful than this.”



Pretty much everyone heard what he had said.



Shady stood and asked, “Are you saying, Mr. Drummer, everyone here is unjust and ignorant over simple expressions of emotion?”



“That and more!” snapped Drummer “You are not only abusing the law, but destroying it, punishing it, and more!



You’re all making it a crime to be able to learn things, or understand how life works. Today you forbid science, next you may forbid art, and before you know it, you’ve banned books, newspapers and even shut whole schools down from their systems…



I submit to you all; continue on this path, and you may very well send us all backwards… BACKWARDS from the paths in which we came to our modern ways, and reduce ourselves to the way our primitive ancestors lived: a world of ignorance and suffering with no light at the end of the tunnel!”



By this time, even the judge was losing her patience, “I sincerely hope, Mr. Drummer, that you are not implying that this court is bigoted!”



Drummer shot her a straight look, “If your honor wishes to think so, that is your right.”



The judge cringed angrily, “It also not only my right, but my authority to demand to know why you should not be held in contempt, Mr. Drummer! I hereby order you to show cause tomorrow at Noon, and until then I hereby place you under house arrest, confined to your hotel suite!



Court will reconvene tomorrow at Noon.”



With that court was dismissed, and Drummer felt a deep inner sense of hopelessness strike him, but as the ponies exited the courthouse, one particular mare among the crowd; a light green Earth Pony with a puffed up pink mane-- gazed pitifully at him, and she reached into her bag and pulled out a book, thinking perhaps there was a way to get past all of these unjust and horrid displays of ignorance... maybe even for both sides.







Meanwhile the friends couldn’t possibly have been more outraged, “I’ve never seen so much stupidity and unfairness.” said Twilight.



“Urgh!” growled Spike “That Shady really boils my blood. I’d like to set his tail on fire.”



“Now, that will do, Spike.” said Princess Luna “While I agree that many actions and attitudes of the trial may seem unjust, two wrongs would not make a right.”



“Princess Luna is correct, Spike.” agreed her sister “However, it may interest you all to know, there was a small light at the end of this tunnel.”



Everyone’s heads perked up with interest, and Celestia changed the images again.





That night, things were absolutely horrendous.



Many of the ponies in town, supporting the prosecution, felt that the case was already won for them. Pep rallies and mobs were all in the streets gloating over their assured victory.



Some even made large straw dummies of both Drummer and Rates and set them ablaze rejoicing how lovely it would be if they could have them hung for their so-called “heresy!” even though modern day laws forbad such draconian procedures.



Still, that didn’t excuse them from happily rejoicing, not to mention standing outside the jailhouse, knowing Rates was there in his cell, and taunted him mercilessly.



“We’ll burn you, Rates!”



“And your miserably lawyer too!”



“Friendship always wins!”



Rates could only look through the window in horrors, and feel so defenseless and sore when a rock came, pitched by a protester, at his cell window and struck his forehead!





Petal Dance, she lay wide awake in bed, unable to sleep due to the heat, and also due to all the noise outside from those awful gloaters, but also… her mind didn’t stop haunting her the way Shady had badgered her that day, even after she actually tried to confide in him her troubles.



Now she had already lost more than just her faith in him…!



The door to her room opened slightly, and her father peeked in, “Petal… are you alright?” he asked softly. He could tell, even with her backed turned to him she was still awake, but his daughter would not answer or even look at him.



“Petal, please…”



No response!



Her father hung his head sadly, in deep regret and shame, and left his daughter in peace, while poor Petal shed a few tears, for herself, for Rates, and the over-zealousness of all those horrible voices she kept hearing in the streets below.





The friends observed everything and Starlight complained, “Um… I wouldn’t exactly call this enlightening.”



“Oh, trust me, it happens…” said Celestia, and she told everyone to follow her to the hotel… where Drummer stood by his window, sulking miserably. The hotel building was surrounded by police officers to ensure he didn’t leave the premise.



He sighed heavily as he heard the sound of the protesters denouncing him so heartlessly, as if he weren’t already upset enough! He had never been so upset with a community for putting science down like that, the very subject he devoted half his life to and studying.



It was usually times like this when he was feeling down he would read a science book, or even look at his own published works, but this time even that didn’t help him.



Who could blame him? The way his case was looking more hopeless by the minute and with no way to even speak a word without it being objected.



He felt so alone, that he broke out into a song to help comfort himself, and maybe even… wish for some help.

Ever since I was a foal,
Studying has been by goal,
Now that things have gone so wrong,
…I’ll make a wish

Laws with science did it clash,
Regarding such works as trash,
Can’t it all just get along…
…I’ll make a wish

Things could be fine,
If both way could combine
But such thing wouldn’t do
If there was some way to get through…
…Every pony’s mind.

He paused and peeked through his own published science books, and used his magic to transport himself into the book, like a kind of fantasy. He rode on the stars… flew through the air… swam in the seas… and stood on a hilltop surrounded by many ideals and methods waiting to be learned and understood.

Though it goes against logic,
Maybe it can do the trick
Send me something to help my case…

…I’ll make… a… Wish…!

The song ended, and he went back to reality just as there came a knock at the door. “Who is it?” he called. “Room service.” called a feminine voice, and the server came right in; it was that same pony that looked at him at the trial.



She came in pushing in a trolley cart with a meal atop it.



“I didn’t order any room-service.”



“I know, but you should eat something for the trial tomorrow.”



“Oh, what’s the point?” groaned Drummer “Everyone already seems so sure I’ve lost anyway. Huh! They didn’t even let me say anything or present anything, why; because it was a whole bunch of “scientific hogwash” to them.”



The other pony sighed, but she reached underneath the trolley and pulled out a small book, “Maybe this will help you?”



“What’s this?” Drummer asked as he examined the book’s title: “History of Friendship and It’s Uses” and it was written by “Pendulum Swinger?” Drummer exclaimed softly.



Her turned to the other pony, who nodded almost sadly, “He was my husband. He wrote that book and had it published just before he died. He would research friendship and magic and question them through science. I thought maybe it would help you.”



Drummer said nothing, but stood where he was with a look of curiosity on his face.



“Goodnight sir.” said the pony, and she left, leaving Drummer to eat his meal and go through some portions of the book he was given, and what he read… made him smile.



Perhaps his wish had been granted, and he had been passed the miracle he had asked. He couldn’t help but look out his window, up and the night sky and smile in thanks.