• Published 21st Sep 2017
  • 874 Views, 34 Comments

Friendship is Failure #9: Inherit The Sun - DakariKingMykan



Celestia reveals to Twilight and friends a shocking secret about her that once nearly destroyed the balance of Equestrians

  • ...
67
 34
 874

Intro: Tears?

INTRO

Summer Sun Celebration, the longest day of the year in Equestria-- there would be more daylight hours before dark than any other day, and all over Canterlot, many ponies had gathered by the royal palace to await Princess Celestia to do her most noble duty, and raise the sun at the crack of dawn to welcome the new day.



Princess Twilight Sparkle, and all her friends, including Starlight Glimmer were given special front-row seats to witness the event close up.



“Ooh, this is so exciting I can hardly contain myself!” squealed Pinkie.



“Take it easy there, sugar-cube.” said Applejack “We don’t wanna be makin’ a scene now.”



Rarity had on a pair of silver-glittering shades, very expensive as well. “What are they for?” asked Rainbow “The sun’s not so bad to look at, even when the princess raises it.”



“Really, Rainbow Dash…!” snapped Rarity “Even you should know how important it is that one keeps a fine exemplary of elegance and grace on an event such as this, and I just love the way these sparkles glitter in the pre-dawn light.”



Spike couldn’t stop lookin at Rarity, “I think they make you look beautiful.” he said silently, not wanting to be overheard.



Soon the royal fanfare sounded, and the two Royal sisters were announced. “It’s starting!” cried Twilight.



Princess Celestia and Princess Luna appeared, and Luna welcomed everyone to the event. “All you whom have gathered here today are about to bear witness to the princess, my elder sister, as she once again raises the sun to honor our noble tradition of the celebration of the Mid-Summer…”



She then nodded over at her sister, and Celestia nodded back in response, taking her place beneath the sun structure.



Her horn began to glow brightly as she declared “…And now… I bring the sun forth!” and she hovered up, as the bright sun rose over the horizon, creating the most beautiful warm glow that cast across the land, wowing the crowds.



“Incredible!” cried Starlight “I’ve never actually seen this before. Now I see why every-pony loves it so much.”



“It’s one of the most magical sights in all of Equestria.” agreed Twilight. She still remembered the time when she had to absorb Celestia and Luna’s powers to help raise the sun and moon while Equestria was suffering from a dark curse.



Fluttershy thought the sight was absolutely breath taking, however… as Celestia touched down on the stage, she couldn’t help but catch a glimpse of what looked like tears in her eyes.



“She’s crying…?” she asked herself, still unsure of anything.





Applause erupted over the crowds, cheering for another successful sun-raising, and Celestia bowed to all her wonderful subjects, “My subjects… my friends and country-pony… to a brighter, and better future.”



More applause came, and soon everyone was off to enjoy the funfair, party games and other celebrations. “WHOO-HOO… PARTY!!” Pinkie shouted as everyone dashed about and had a ball, but Fluttershy was still concerned about Celestia and what she thought she saw.





“Are you okay, Fluttershy?” Twilight asked.



“Huh? Oh… um… I’m… fine, nothing’s wrong. No ma’am, nothing at all.”



Twilight, Spike and Starlight were far from convinced, knowing she only acted like that when something really serious was up. “Come on, Fluttershy… What is it?” said Starlight.



Fluttershy quivered softly, feeling a bit nervous to say, but before she could say anything, the royal sisters approached the gang. “Why are you all still hanging around” Celestia asked “Go on and join the celebration. Have some fun.”



“Aren’t you two coming with us?” asked Spike.



“Oh… we shall, in due time.” said Luna “But we have some important business to tend to and then when shall return.”



“Yes… quite right.” agreed Celestia “If you’ll excuse us then…” she quickly turned, but Twilight looked up and managed to see a small tear in Celestia’s eye before she turned completely away and walked off with her sister.



“Was that a… tear?” Twilight asked.



“You saw it too?” asked Fluttershy, “That’s what’s bothering me.”



Spike and Starlight didn’t see the tear, but felt Twilight and Fluttershy were onto something. “She seemed rather desperate to leave, now that I think of it…” said Starlight.



“Do you think maybe she’s hiding something?” asked Spike.



All of them cast a look at Twilight, and she thought it over deeply. “If something’s bothering Princess Celestia, I think we should find out what it is, like good friends should.”



The others agreed wholeheartedly.







An hour later, Celestia and Luna returned to the palace, and adjourned to Celestia’s private bedroom, unescorted, from their private outing. Celestia, was wiping her eyes with a handkerchief and she blew her nose softly.



Luna was very concerned. “Sister, you must not let this get to you like this.”



Celestia sniffled softly, “I’m sorry, Luna, but I can’t help it. It was just as much my own fault, and not a day goes by that I don’t think back to it.”



Her sister sighed in sympathy…





“…Think back to what?” Twilight suddenly asked. The sisters looked and saw the four friends standing there, waiting for them. “What are all of you doing in here?” Luna snapped. “How did you even get into here to begin with?” added Celestia.



“That’s not really as important as what we wish to know.” said Starlight.



Twilight agreed, and asked calmly, “Princess Celestia… we know that you’re upset about something. Will you please tell us what it is?”



Celestia knew she couldn’t deny her emotions, being caught red-hoofed, bus she turned away and snuffed, “That is my personal privacy if you please, and I don’t wish to discuss it.”



Spike tried to speak, “But if you could--”



“No!” Celestia snapped, making all of them, even her own sister jump in fright. “Oh, I’m sorry about that. Please forgive me.”



Fluttershy approached her, “Your majesty… you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to, but… don’t you think… maybe… it’ll clear the air a bit?”



Twilight agreed, “Besides, then maybe we can try and help you… like good friends would help other good friends.”



Starlight and Spike nodded.



Celestia smiled at their innocence, “I appreciate your concern, but I’m afraid that even friendship cannot fix this problem I have. It happened far too long ago…”



Luna tried to protest “Sister, you said that you didn’t wish--”



Celestia held her hoof up, “No, they’re right. I should explain.” She then gazed deeply at the others, “What am I am about to tell you all may shock and amaze you, but… I suppose you should know the truth, but you are not to tell a single soul of what you are about to learn… understood.”



The friends solemnly swore not to tell anyone anything, not even their other friends.



“Very well…”



Celestia’s horn glowed brightly, and she shrouded everyone around her, even Luna in a veil of bright, sparkling lights, and they all felt themselves faded away. “I’ve seen this before…!” cried Starlight.



“It’s… Time Magic!” yelled Twilight.



Poof! They were gone!