• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,987 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,987

Epilogue: Happily Ever After

The screen projector played on as a group of friends gathered to watch it.

"Can you believe it's been two years since Applejack and Spike's wedding here in Ponyville!" Pinkie mentioned.

"It does seem rather surreal." agreed Rarity.

"It was even more surreal when it actually happen." said Spike.

Applejack said to her husband, "Not like the first one…"

He wrapped an arm around her for comfort as they looked at the screen.


Applejack was standing in front of her mirror that was in her room at Sweet Apple Acres while looking at the dress Rarity made for her. It was simple, white, and had no sleeves. Her hair was down and her veil was attached to a jeweled headband made of emeralds.

"Darling, you look so beautiful!" Rarity squealed.

AJ chuckled, "All because of your design."

"But it was made especially for you!"

Pinkie jumped, "She's got a point there!"

Fluttershy cooed, "I think you look lovely with or without the gown."

"Aw, shucks…" Applejack blushed.

Twilight came in then with a checklist, "Okay, so far everything going according to schedule, we should…" she trailed off when seeing Applejack, "Oh, Applejack! You look absolutely stunning!"

Rarity looked smug, "See? What did I tell you?"

Applejack laughed, "Okay, okay! You gals made your point!"

Pinkie mentioned, "And if Sunny were here she would totally have told you the same thing."

Applejack turned to Twilight, "Any news from her by the way?"

The unicorn nodded, "She sends her love and wishes she could be here but she expressed how busy she was settling into her new life." she giggled, "Then she made me promise to give her every single detail of the wedding."

AJ smirked, "Which you will, of course."

Rainbow Dash came into the room complaining, "Ugh! Can we go now? This dress is starting to get on my nerves!"

Rarity motioned, "What's wrong with it? I thought I made it flexible enough for you to wear?"

RD pointed, "Yeah, but the fabric is itchy!"

The fashionista sighed deeply, "Well it's too late to make adjustments right now."

A knock came at the door and Big Mac entered wearing a tux, he stated, "I believe I must escort a bride to the altar?"

Applejack smiled, "You're just in time, Big Mac. Rainbow Dash here was starting to lose it."

Rainbow added, "More like I would have lost the dress…"

The girls giggled.

Twilight mentioned, "Well if the brother of the bride is here, then that means I better get going to where the groom is. He'll need his Best Mare after all."

Applejack gave her a quick hug before she went out of the room. Then the wedding march sounded off outside the bedroom window. The girls knew that was their cue and left the room, Big Mac then held his hoof out and his sister took it as they slowly went down the hallway and down the steps before going outside. They walked past the farm and into the orchards where the wedding party would be waiting in the grove beside a pear tree and an apple tree that entwined with each other in the shape of a heart.

It was Applejack's idea to hold the wedding in the very same place her parents had exchanged vows. It made her feel that her parents were there with her on her special day. Everything was decorated in a simple yet elegant way. Looking ahead she saw her groom was waiting with the mayor with Twilight right beside him. The girls were in position as her bridesmaids. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were right next to them after having to be the flower girls. Mac escorted her down the aisle passing the guests as they went. The entire Apple clan was presented with Granny Smith and Grand Pear in front of them. Their eyes brimmed with tears as they watched their granddaughter go down the aisle. Then there was Ember and Thorax (with his changeling subjects) as well as Discord, Fancypants, Flash Sentry, and even Cheese Sandwich. Gilda was even present as a goodwill gesture to mend the dragon-griffon relations.

Coco Pommel and Silver Shill were there of course, along with Night Gilder and Sugar Belle to which Big Mac gave a quick wink to as they passed her. She blushed in response. And naturally, the princesses were there too and Shining Armor as he and Cadence had Flurry Heart in a baby carriage.

Finally they had made to the end as Big Mac handed Applejack's hoof to Spike. The males exchanged a respectful nod before Mac took his place next to Sugar Belle. The bride and groom stared at each other lovingly before they turned to the mayor.

Mayor Mane spoke out, "Mares and gentlecolts, friends, and royal majesties… We gather today to bind these two loving beings in marriage… As you all know it has taken them quite awhile to get to this most important moment in their lives. For every obstacle that had stood in their way, they had managed to overcome it. Applejack, Spike? Are there any additional vows you would like to make?"

Spike went first, "Applejack… since from the first moment I laid my eyes on you, I knew you were something special… Even if you were scolding me for most of the time…" he smirked causing everyone around him to chuckle. He continued, "We were friends first and foremost, but that later changed and I am so glad that it did… Admittedly, during the time we were apart, I should have tried harder to get to you and I will forever regret not doing that. For everything that we have shared lives on in my heart and I don't plan on ever letting it go… Because I will always love you."

There were awes from the crowd.

Applejack smiled at him and took her turn, "Spike… You were unlike anyone I have ever met in my life… When you had corrected me when we first met, I still get embarrassed of how I opened my mouth like that without thinking… But when you forgave me and decided to keep it between us, I was downright stunned by your kindness. And as such you did a lot of kind things for me since… Your noble heart kept me close to you… and it still does to this day… When we were separated in that one moment, I was afraid we had lost all that we had… But by some miracle we did come back to each other and I made sure I wouldn't lose you again. When you came close to death, I was ready to join you… But you stopped me and once more you were my hero as you saved me from a huge mistake."

Spike added, "When the magic of the Bloodstone Scepter controlled me, and I was this close to killing you, I couldn't do it… I wouldn't do it… Killing myself was the only thing I could do to prevent such a fate upon you… Especially when you meant so much to me…"

Sniffles were heard from the crowd.

"I meant what I said when you came close to using the dagger on yourself… But now as we are both still alive… I want to spend the rest of my life with you… To grow old together through the good and bad… To raise our family… To do everything with you… For without your love, I have nothing…"


Pinkie was bawling away with waterfall tears coming out her eyes.

Everyone turned away from the screen and on to her with Rainbow yelling, "Pinkie! Cut the waterworks will you?!"

The pink mare cried, "Sorry! But this part always gets to me!"

Fluttershy mentioned, "I know what you mean, especially with what comes next with Applejack saying…" she pointed to the screen and they turned to it.


"And I'll love you until my last breath. Every beat of my heart is yours for the rest of your life. If I'm gone, then you must live on… for the both of us…" she slightly smirked making him smirk in return. As he remembered those were the very words he used on her when he was dying.

At that point, everyone around them was blubbering and the mayor had to wipe away her tears as she addressed Twilight, "May we have the rings now, please?"

Twilight magically lifted two golden rings-with one of them on a chain-and her friends took them as they exchanged the rings. Spike put the chained ring around his love's neck and Applejack put the band around Spike's claw finger.

Mayor Mane declared, "I now pronounce you, Husband and Wife. You may kiss the bride."

Thanks to Pinkie and Cheese, bells rang just as the newlyweds shared their kiss to seal their union.


The screen played on showing the wedding reception that was held at night just outside the barn. The group watched on with laughter seeing how silly they were acting on the screen.

Rarity commented, "I can't believe you look so different as a unicorn then compared to how you're an alicorn now!" she looked to Twilight who was sitting next to Flash with their wedding rings being fairly noticeable around their necks.

Twilight shrugged, "It is a strange thing, but when Celestia made me a princess, she insisted that I moved to Ponyville to be closer to my friends. Naturally, I couldn't go against her wishes but at the same time I was glad."

Flash smirked, "And as the princess's personal royal bodyguard she couldn't go anywhere without me."

Spike mentioned, "Thus you two shortly got hitched after Discord and Fluttershy did."

Discord said behind the projector while looking at his wife, "Well, I couldn't wait any longer. You remember how I made my proposal, don't you sweetheart?"

Fluttershy giggled, "How could I not? You made it shortly after Applejack and Spike got back from their honeymoon."

"But of course! After all, you caught Applejack's bouquet so I had to get a move on!"

Fancy Pants mentioned to his wife, "And it was because of their weddings I knew I had to hurry and proposed to you without a second thought."

Rarity batted her eyelashes, "You must have been pretty sure of yourself to do that, given we had only dated for about five months…"

He wrapped an arm around her, "That I was dearest… After I got to know you more I knew then you were the one for me… The right one for me…"

She went, "Ohh…" and nuzzled his face as she told him, "And I'm so glad we decided to move here after our wedding. Opening Carousal Boutique was the best business move I've ever done and it gave us the chance to stay close to all our friends."

Pinkie looked at her husband with a grin, "And then we got married, right Cheesy?"

He grinned back, "That's right, my Pinkie-Winkie." he bopped her nose making her do the same to him.

Rainbow Dash laid back and said, "Well while all of you decided to settle down, yours truly went on to become a Wonderbolt and succeeded too! Yup, this Wonderbolt is going to stay in the skies for the rest of her days!" there was a pause before she inquired, "You didn't buy any of that, did you?"

"Nope!" the girls replied back with giggles.

"Okay, fine! I am more or less currently dating Soarin' but that doesn't mean we're going to end up together!"

Everyone draw out with coy smiles, "Right…" making them laugh.

Suddenly Sugar Belle came into the living room of the farmhouse and told them, "Sorry for interrupting but I wanted to let everyone know it's almost close to dinner time."

Discord summoned a pocket watch, "My goodness so it is! Fluttershy, darling, we better get going so we don't have to pay the babysitter another hour!"

Fluttershy pointed, "I'm more concern on how well she was able to handle Screwball these pass few hours…"

Discord chuckled, "Our little bundle certainly does love to cause trouble, doesn't she? Just like her daddy!" he stated proudly.

Fluttershy shook her head and sighed, "Yes, just like her daddy…"

Twilight inquired, "Are we still up for that playdate, Fluttershy? I know Fire Spark enjoyed playing with Screwball the last time we got them together."

The pegasus replied, "Oh, but of course!"

Rarity touched her budging abdomen, "I can't wait until my little one is born then we can get together for playdates all the time too!"

Pinkie gasped, "That reminds me!" she asked her husband with a smirk, "Should we tell them, Cheese?"

Applejack furrowed a brow, "Tell us what?"

Cheese responded with a mischievous smile, "I don't know… Think they can handle it…?"

Spike questioned, "Handle what?"

Rainbow gestured, "Yeah, handle what?"

Pinkie and Cheese exchanged a look before exclaiming, "We're having a foal shower!"

Excitement filled the room as they congratulated the couple. When it died down, Applejack and Spike said their good nights to their friends as they left. With a happy sigh the couple turned to each other.

Applejack spoke, "We sure are lucky to have friends like them…"

Spike agreed, "That we do… Had we gone to Dragonia, we never would have had this kind of fun and happiness."

They started to go upstairs with her saying, "True, but we would have made it work as long as we had each other and Celestia's potion…" she gave him bedroom eyes.

He smirked back, "Remember how after we got back from our honeymoon, she had it delivered to us and we decided to try it?"

AJ chuckled, "I remember reading her note how she warned us about the taste since she didn't know if it would be good or bad…"


They were in Applejack's room after Spike made sure the door was locked so they wouldn't be disturbed for the rest of the night. The potion was on the dresser with two empty glasses.

Applejack read the note, "'I must warn you, the taste of the potion might be left as undesirable, but it's imperative that you drink it all or it won't work…'"

Spike poured the potion into the glasses and walked over to her giving her her half of the potion.

She took it and sniffed it, "Well it doesn't smell bad."

Spike suggested, "Just think of it as medicine that's good for us."

AJ chuckled, "It practically is!" she raised her glass and stared at him lovingly, "To us."

He smiled, "To us…" he tapped his glass with hers and they began to drink.

But to their complete surprise the fertile potion actually tasted good!

Applejack exclaimed, "Hey! It tastes like apple cider!"

Spike inquired, "Really? Mine tastes like amethyst."

"Huh, I guess the potion works to the drinker's tastes."

"I think you're right."

They continued to drink until it was all gone and then a strange warm feeling overwhelmed them both as they stared at each other.

Spike slowly made to his wife and uttered, "Applejack… I don't think I'll be able to contain myself for much longer…"

She confessed, "Me neither, hon… So I'm goin' say this right now…" she gradually grabbed his face, "Don't you dare hold back…" and firmly placed a kiss on his lips and he returned it fervently.


As they continued up the steps, Spike had a goofy grin from the memory, "Best… night… ever…"

She smirked at him, "And it was because of that night, I got pregnant. Remember how excited we were when the doc told us we were expectin'?"

Spike sighed happily, "Do I ever…"

Suddenly there came a wail and both Applejack and Spike rushed to the source and opened the door to their room as Apple Bloom was overlooking a crib and told them, "I don't know what's wrong! I tried to calm them down but they won't stop cryin'!"

Both Spike and AJ approached the crib to see their fraternal twin dragon-pony hybrids bawling away. Applejack grabbed for their son, Pear Jam who took after his father with his purple coat and had a bright green mane that was spiked up, he looked mostly like a pony but he had scales, a dragon tail, and paws. He also had his father's draconic eyes but instead of green they were teal. Spike had grabbed their daughter, Apple Jewel who was the spitting image of Applejack except her coat was a tad darker but her eyes were exactly her mother's. Apple Jewel may look like a complete pony but she was more dragon on the inside with her fire breath and love for gems.

The twins kept on bawling until Applejack spotted the problem, "Uh-oh, I see something growing in their mouths."

Spike said, "Uh-oh is right. They're teething."

"And judging from the sharp corners, I say those are fangs growing in."

"Dragon fangs… Yup, those are really going to hurt."

Apple Bloom asked, "What me to see if I can find somethin' to help them with their teethin'?"

Applejack replied, "That's okay, sugar cube. Just tell Big Mac, Sugar Belle, and Granny we're goin' be a bit late for dinner."

AB proudly responded, "You got it, Sis!" she ran out of the room.

Spike went to the closet and pulled out a diaper bag, "Luckily, we knew this day would come and have teething rings at the ready." he unzipped the bag and took out two teething rings and handed one to Applejack. On cue they put the rings into their toddlers' mouths and the crying stopped as they sucked on the chewy toys.

The parents sighed in relief. Spike then kissed his daughter's head making his wife smirk at the sight. He saw her look and inquired, "What?"

She stated, "I seem to recall a dragon fretting about how he would make a terrible father…"

He slowly smiled, "Well, his concerns were valid; after all he never had a father to show him how to be one. He was lucky enough to show a caring side to those he loved… But he was even more lucky to have a partner for life that was just as caring as him…" he planted a kiss on her cheek.

She gave one back and asked, "Ready?"

He nodded and they carried the twins down to the dining room and placed them in their high chairs before taking their seats at the dinner table. Sugar Belle helped Granny serve the food and the family soon went into a lively chatter. A family that has grown since Applejack filled out that Selection form. Once upon a time, she saw it as a curse, but now she was proud to call it a blessing. Something her husband would agree on, for this was their happily-ever-after and it will continue to be that way for many, many years…

Author's Note:

Wow… I can't… wow… I honestly thought that I would never ever get this done at such a fast pace when I first started this. But I think it's all due to the recent episodes of MLP so far. Season 7, you were a HUGE help in making this story. And yeah, you know this was a very interesting experience for me, not only was I able to finally write a fanfiction with Applejack and Spike as the main couple but to write in a sense where Spike first meets the girls at a more mature age. It was definitely an interesting "what if" scenario. I was worried at first that I wasn't keeping him in character enough because of his whole crush on Rarity when he first saw her in Season 1 but I had to remind myself that he was much older in this case so he would have set his sights on the broader side. Just had to make a point of that before I leave here.

Also, as much as I changed things from Kiera Cass's book series I did keep certain scenes from them to help keep the story going or that they were needed even if some of it was unpleasant to write. You would have to read the books yourself to see which scenes I've kept and only then will you understand why wrote the story the way I did.

There are two books that serve as a sequel to the original trilogy and it's hard to say if I will write a sequel on those books. Maybe if the right storyline comes, sure, why not! I absolutely adore the Selection series and I would love to write about the kids here since the book sequel is about Maxon and America's daughter having her own Selection so it would be interesting to try and spoof that with Apple Jewel, but like I said I need the right storyline for that.

It truly is amazing how much AppleSpike has grown on me, when I first started out in the fandom I was a Spirarity fan but as time went on, my heart leaned more toward AppleSpike as I realized just how compatible they can if given the chance. We briefly saw it in 'Spike At Your Service' but there hasn't been that much interaction with them since. And I can relate to Spike personally when it comes to having crushes but I outgrew them and I hope Spike will do the same when he gets older because his crush on Rarity is not realistic enough, at least that's what I believe.

So I will keep on writing AppleSpike stories in the meantime and thank you to all of you for reading and for giving your support! Bye!

Comments ( 14 )

Great story all around.

This was a good read. Sad that its over but as the old saying goes, "All good things come to an end!"

great story. happy to see it come to a good finish.

Such a great story! I literally read this in an entire day and couldn't put it down! I look very much forward to your upcoming works

It was such a great pleasure reading this. Now I'm off . . . I've got a book series to hunt down.

I love love love the changes you made to the original trilogy, and would love to see a sequel or two in the future!

I haven' t read this Story yet. I just want to know if there is Fluttercord?? If there is, I'll read it right now!!!

8502629
Yes, there is Fluttercord, not much but it's there.

8502672
yay!! and it's obvious that yhere's Applespike ship also right?
Then I'm gonna read it!!
I love your stories!!!

Still waiting for "Heart of Gold"

That was great! I loved it. Keep writing stories. you are good at it.

I JUST READ THE HOLE STORY AND I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT .... IT WAS AWESOME!!!

YOUR SHIPS ARE AMAZING!!

FLUTTERCORD AND APPLESPIKE!!! YAY!!!:ajsmug::yay:
:pinkiehappy:Keep waiting for Heart of Gold and Fluttercord moments!! take your time!! you're awesome!!!
:pinkiehappy::rainbowwild:

8631457
That's what happens when you spoof a book series, so many chapters to go through.

This was pretty good. Definitely darker than your fairytale-based stories, but still a good read.

9509478
Keep reading, eventually you'll be pleasantly surprised. :raritywink:

Login or register to comment