• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,991 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,991

Chapter 8

Author's Note:

One more before things get hectic for me, I actually had this written out beforehand because it's one of my favorite scenes from the first book and you'll soon find out why.

As Applejack made her way in the ballroom, heads turned her way in either awe or disdain. Sunset was wearing a deep red dress and gashed her teeth at cowgirl when she passed by her. Rarity and Pinkie seemed to be in deep conversation when their eyes caught Applejack.

Pinkie exclaimed, "Wow! You look great, Applejack!"

Rarity looked uneasy as she tried to put on a smile while saying, "Yes… you do look stunning…"

"Aw shucks, thanks, but you two look mighty fine as well."

Rarity primped her mane as she said with an alluring smile, "Oh thank you, I was hoping someone would notice."

AJ playfully rolled her eyes at the dramatic unicorn.

"Good evening, ladies." came a familiar voice.

They turned to see Spike approaching them and they bowed in respect while saying, "Good evening, your highness."

He chuckled, "None of that, girls, tonight is suppose to be your night and-" his eyes widen when he realized who was next to him, "Applejack? Is that you?"

She lifted her head and slightly blushed, "It is…"

He stammered, "I… I didn't even recognize you for a second…"

Pinkie motioned, "Yeah! Usually she just keeps a low profile but tonight she's really outshining the rest of us!" she said that last part a little too loudly causing the other mares to turn their heads at Applejack.

AJ felt uneasy by the gazes she was given especially from Trixie and Starlight, but Sunset gave off the most deadly of stares. But once her eyes met with Spike's eyes as it seem they couldn't stop staring at her and her heart was beating more rapid than before.

But their moment was short-lived when Ms. Harshwinny called out, "Places, ladies!"

Applejack quickly made it for the risers and sat next to Twilight followed by Flitter, Cloudchaser, and Moon Dancer. She noticed Spike took a seat on the stage so he could watch the whole thing and his eyes kept wandering over to her. She looked away but found it hard to do so.

Finally the lights dimmed and the voiceover announced Discord in and the chaotic being appeared in a bright flash this time wearing a bright red jacket with sequins around the collar. He said in his thin microphone.

"Good evening, Equestria! Tonight is the night we finally get to know these exquisite mares of Prince Spike's Bride Selection! So let's get started shall we?" he twitched his eyebrows before he turned to the risers and eyed each girl on who should be his first interview. Finally he settled on…

"Miss Sunset Shimmer! Come on down!"

The unicorn didn't waste a moment as she went down to him with a smug look on her face. She acted sexy as she took her seat across from Discord.

"Now Miss Shimmer, tell us about yourself."

Sunset was able to answer his questions with ease, she made it look so easy, and Applejack noticed most of the girls like Fluttershy were quivering in their spots just by watching Sunset acting so professional. AJ felt bad for them and ended up glaring at Sunset.

Over time, Discord called more girls down, such as Flitter, Trixie, Starlight, Amethyst Star, Twinkleshine, Moon Dancer, Minuette, and Cloudchaser. Then when he got to Fluttershy the poor filly was trembling in the bleachers that for a brief moment Discord had seemed to pity the mare that he decided to help out by teleporting her to the spot in front of him much to her surprise.

"So Miss Fluttershy, you're originally from Cloudsdale, correct?"

Fluttershy looked him and slightly nodded.

He poofed up what Applejack recognized was the Selection form they all had to submit. Discord looked at it then said, "And you have a mother, a father, and a little brother, correct?"

Fluttershy felt a little more calm and nodded again while saying, "Uh-huh."

When Discord kept asking her about her family and what her hobbies were, Applejack noticed how the usually timid pegasus lit up with enthusiasm making the cowgirl smiled at how well Discord handed the interview and call her crazy but it seemed he was giving Fluttershy a few adoringly looks. And it seemed at this point Fluttershy's interview was taking forever until she noticed Spike was trying to get Discord's attention and pointed to the other girls.

The draconequus realized this and quickly said, "Just one more question Miss Fluttershy, have you kissed the prince yet?" That was a common question the draconequus had asked with the others along with… "I was going to ask you if you were the one who yelled at the prince but I find that so hard to believe given you're such a sweet thing…" he slightly smirked.

Fluttershy blushed and stammered, "N-no… I haven't…"

Discord looked over to the dragon in frustration, "Have you kissed any of them yet?!"

Spike retorted, "No! They've only been here for two weeks! What kind of prince do you take me for?!"

But Applejack could see how uncomfortable that was for him to admit that.

I wonder if he's kissed anybody before…

Her train of thought was interrupted when Discord called her down.

Once she faced the draconequus, he began asking, "So, Miss Applejack, I understand from your resume that you were Ponyville's rodeo champion five years in a row!"

She smiled, "That's right!"

Discord slightly smirked, "It's not easy being a rodeo champion is it?"

"Sure as heck no! It takes a lot of practice if you want to win that blue ribbon!"

"Hmm… then would you say that you have to fight to keep the title: champion?"

She rolled her eyes, "I get what you're gettin' at… Yes, I'm the one who yelled at the prince."

There was a collective gasp and she could hear Trixie saying in a near whisper, "Trixie knew it!"

Discord exclaimed, "Ah-ha! Finally! Now we can get the whole story, what exactly happened that made you yell at our dearly beloved dragon prince." he batted some eyelashes he made.

Applejack sighed, "I was… feelin' constricted within the castle so I spotted the garden outside my window and decided to go there hoping it would calm me down but when I tried to get past the guards they wouldn't let me though, so I ended up struggling with them until Spi- uh, the prince gave a command to let me by."

Discord gushed, "Aww… How romantic!"

Applejack quickly glanced at Spike who was smiling. She smiled in return as she continued with the story, "So I ran into the garden and when the prince tried to ask if I was okay, I ended up yelling at him and accusing him for being shallow."

Discord let out a guffaw and many of the other girls who spent some time with Spike giggled as well.

Discord tried to catch his breath, "You… you thought he was… Oh, that's too priceless!"

Applejack quickly added, "But I soon realized I was judging him without getting to know him."

Discord turned back to the interview, asking with smirk, "And have you…?"

She beamed, "I have. He's not like anything I thought he would be."

Discord led her on, "Such as…?"

She could see the other girls particularly Sunset wanted to hear this answer, she glanced once more at Spike and he seemed anxious to hear it as well. Given she was on the spot she had no choice but to give out her most honest response.

She took a deep breath, "Prince Spike the Dragon is the epitome of all things good… He's generous, kind, and noble. His selflessness knows no bounds as he only thinks of others before himself. Any mare he marries will be lucky to have him. I can only hope that he will be just as lucky with that same mare because he deserves a good one."

There were mutters around her and it seemed both Discord and Spike were stunned by her answer. Then the draconequus shook out of it and asked with sly grin, "And… are you that mare?"

She simply replied, "I can't say that. Only Spike has the decision of who he takes for a wife."

There was another gasp and Applejack realized all too late she used Spike's name. Oops… She could see the look on Discord's face that he was enjoying this a little too much. Then he said, "Well, Miss Applejack as much I would love to hear more about how close you are to winning this competition I must move on the other girls who've not been interviewed." and mumbled under his breath, "Though I'm not sure it matters at this point…" then he proclaimed, "Now on to Miss Berryshine!"

When Applejack made her way to her spot she noticed how most of the girls were glaring at her. Thankfully Twilight wasn't glaring but instead she seemed rather hopeful… That was a strange reaction to be sure given Discord gave her a reason to hate her since Twilight was still competing for Spike like the others. But what was even stranger was that Spike kept giving her looks throughout the rest of the interviews and she didn't know what to make of it.


Applejack let her hair down the minute she got back to her room and dismissed her maids for the night. She still wore her dress and was about to take it off when there was a knock at her door and she shouted, "Come in!"

Spike entered in with a smile once he saw her and said, "You look so beautiful right now."

Applejack couldn't help it, she blushed.

Then he stammered, "Not that you weren't beautiful before! But let's just say it's a good thing you tend to downgrade your looks, because if you looked like this all the time…" he snarled, "Stallions who are mere scumbags would be going after you for one thing…"

She rolled her eyes, "If that ever happened you can bet they would be in for a world of pain."

He frowned and stated in serious tone, "But what would have happened if you were outnumbered?"

She took a moment to think about it, sure she would be able to fight off quite a few stallions but had it been more than that… she shuddered at the thought.

He went to her and gently ran his claws through her hair causing her to be surprise but she welcomed the touch. He softly spoke, "I could never do that to you or the other girls it's wrong to do that to a lady, to anyone really…"

She nodded her head not being able to find the words due to his soft strokes.

"But if I am ever going to find a wife I need to make sure she's right for me… which is why I need to take it up a notch."

That got her out of her trance and asked with a raised brow, "What do you mean by that?"

He stopped touching her hair and twiddled his fingers in uneasiness, "I'm trying to take it to the next level with some of the mares and since Discord asked if I have kissed any of you yet… it was very embarrassing to admit I haven't."

She uttered, "I figured as much…" giving him a sympathetic glance then asked, "So why are you telling me this?"

His face flushed as he quickly said, "I-I know we're friends and you have no romantic intentions toward me…" he added in his thoughts, Though your interview may say otherwise… "But do you think maybe you could give me an idea what it feels like when someone kisses you?"

She blinked in bewilderment, as much as she liked the idea of the dragon kissing her she knew she couldn't be too emotional right now even if the atmosphere was perfect between the two of them, then she inquired, "What about Twilight? Maybe because you knew each other longer it would be better to have your first kiss with her…" she felt the prick in her heart but she ignored the feeling.

Spike replied, "I did think of Twilight at first but tonight in the ballroom she seemed distant from me so I figured it would be too awkward to ask her if she wasn't in the mood. But… when I saw you… You looked so gorgeous that it was hard keeping my eyes off of you…"

She turned her head to the side trying to hide the red on her cheeks.

He slowly questioned, "So… with your permission will you allow me to kiss you?"

She turned back to him to see his pleading green eyes. She thought, Come on Applejack you have nothing to be afraid of! He said so himself he was trying to take it to the next level to find a wife that he feels right with and what better way to do that then with a kiss? All the books say it's a way of knowing who your true love is… Now you promised you would help him and by golly you're going to keep that promise! And one little kiss is not going to change anything.

She gave him a nod and was pleased to see the smile on his face. Then he took a deep breath and slowly led her onto the balcony where the cool breeze was blowing on them. Good thing too, because from what she was feeling right now she needed the cool air. He gently held her but she could tell he was shaking so she helped him ease his nerves by cupping his face and slowly moved it toward her face. They lingered there for a moment until she slowly closed her eyes and he copied her, their lips made contact and Spike's eyes widen from the impact before reclosing his eyes and held her closer to deepen the kiss.

When they took a breath, Applejack felt her heart racing like never before with her thinking. Sweet Celestia, that was amazing! Never had I had a kiss with so much intensity in my life! I would love to have that again and- She stopped when she realized, Oh no… Oh no… That did it… I actually want this now!

She looked up to Spike who seemed to be lost in a daze himself until he said, "Applejack…"

How it made her heart jump just by hearing him say her name like that.

"Yes, Spike…?"

"I'm not stupid enough to believe that you would leave your family just like that after one kiss… But I can tell from your face that you felt something just as I did…"

"You did?" she asked in a near hopeful tone.

He nodded with a smile as he stroked her mane again, "I want you to know that I will not force you to choose right away. I will give you all the time you need to figure this out and to do that I'm cutting our agreement about you trying to find suitable mares for me to date."

"Thank you…" she breathed.

He smiled, "I've liked you from the moment we've met but I knew I couldn't stand in the way of the happiness that you have with your home and family. But now… I have to know… is it possible? For us?"

Applejack was uncertain by the question but she didn't say no right away. She still loved her family and Sweet Apple Acres and she knew how important it was to be there. But… how wonderful would it be to have the one thing that was missin' in her life? To have a best friend and husband that would love only her for the rest of her days. She knew deep in her heart Spike was everything she could want in a mate so why not see if they had a life together?

"Yes, Spike. It is possible."