• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,984 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,984

Chapter 2

The day of the choosing had finally arrived. Every mayor or leader of a town or city in Equestria would be announcing the names of the mares that will be participating in the Selection. Everyone in Ponyville had gathered in front of Town Hall as Mayor Mane stood at her podium to address her citizens.

"And here they are!" she held up a long list, "The names of the chosen 35 mares competing in Prince Spike's Bride Selection!"

There were some cheers but some like the Apple family didn't rejoice in the fact that a mare would soon be force to marry for the sake of peace.

Mayor Mane started reading off the names, "From Baltimare: Miss Twinkleshine! From Las Pegasus: Miss Minuette! From Fillydelphia: Miss Moon Dancer!" then her smile widen as she shouted, "From Ponyville!" every girl but Applejack as she gave a weary expression held in their breath. The Mayor slowly said, "Miss…" then she shouted out, "Applejack!"

The crowd gasped as they turned to the cowpony. The Apple family was stunned but Applejack herself was the most stunned as she tried to wrap her head around the fact her name had indeed been called.

How…? How…? was all she could think of before she felt woozy and fainted.

The Mayor had saw this and uneasily said, "I guess she is just so overwhelm with excitement." she nervously chuckled.


Applejack woke up in the hospital with a young voice saying, "She's awake!" Apple Bloom went up to her sister asking, "How you feelin'?"

AJ asked, "What happen?"

Granny pointed, "Gosh darn it, you fainted!"

Mac stated in affirmation, "Eeyup."

"I… fainted?"

AB said, "Yeah! All because your name was called out and now you're part of the Selection!"

It all came back to her then. The Mayor had announced her name publicly which means there was no getting out no matter how much she wanted to.

She exclaimed, "Land sakes!" she got out of the bed and began pacing, "How in the world did this happen?! I'm one of thousands of mares out there! I mean what were the odds that I would get picked?!"

"It's a mystery all right…" said a voice.

Applejack saw Sliver Shill by the doorway and felt a little calmer, "Shill, can you believe this?"

He shook his head, "Honestly, I can't. I didn't think our talk would become a reality."

"Me neither… I just… I never wanted this and yet… here I am…" she shook her head that was still processing from all that happen.

Just then doctor came in with some nurses carrying baskets from flowers to fruit. "Well, how is our Selected mare doing this evening?"

Applejack felt herself boiling over and she just wanted to explode but kept her cool as she said through gritted teeth, "Just… fine… Doc…"

"That's wonderful to hear!" he turned to the nurses, "And I can see you have quite a number of admirers ever since your name was called."

The family gawked at the baskets with AB asking, "Those are all for my sister?"

"Indeed and there's scores more out in the waiting room!"

Applejack started to feel dizzy again but kept standing as she didn't want this Selection to get to her like this. She scolded to herself.

No! No more fainting! So what if you were chosen?! There's still a chance you won't get picked in the end. All you have to do is go to Canterlot, wait for the dragon to boot you out and you'll be back home putting this Selection nonsense behind you! You got nothing to worry about! Right? Right?! RIGHT?! Right…

But then why did some part tell her to worry? Something in her gut was telling her this was no mere coincidence that she just suddenly got chosen out of blue like this, what could it all mean? She feared the answers she was seeking weren't in Ponyville but Canterlot… No going back now…


Applejack stood next to the mayor as the entire town was giving her the biggest send-off she ever had. Sure they gave her send-offs before when she was about to compete in the big city rodeos but nothing like this. The ponies cheered her on but some mares were still disappointed from not being chosen while families were relieved it wasn't their daughter going.

Mayor Mane announced, "And Ponyville will be cheering on for our champion mare: Applejack!"

There were more cheers as AJ tried to smile but it was hard to.

"So please join me in sending off our dear Applejack as she competes for the heart of Prince Spike the Dragon!" she then turned to the country mare, "Is there anything you would like to say, Applejack?"

"Aw, gosh, I don't think I could… but… I just want you all to know that this is my home and that I could never forget any one of ye and that is the honest truth."

Applause went through the crowd as the Mayor exclaimed, "What a wonderful sentiment by our dear Applejack! I'm sure she'll make us all very proud!"

AJ thought to herself, I wouldn't count on that, Mayor… seeing how I will back by the end of the week.


Saying her goodbyes at the train station was heart wrenching as her family were emotional about her going, especially Apple Bloom who was worried that she would never see her sister again but Applejack quickly reassured her that she would be back home in no time as she would make sure the prince will never chose her. The ponies of Ponyville cheered on for her as they waved her off when she boarded the train and it began to chug away.

She ran all the way to caboose to savor one last look at Ponyville and her family. The gut feeling she felt after the choosing came back and it was growing more and more within her. She wasn't going to be back anytime soon…

The train stopped in the Canterlot station where it was empty except for a slew of guards. Applejack got off just as a castle official she recognized from after the choosing was made and he came to visit her to give her the rundown of the rules to the Selection said to the guards, "Here's the Selected mare from Ponyville."

Applejack frowned at that, I guess mares don't have names anymore once they competing in the Selection…

The official, Fancypants, told her, "The other girls are inside, we just need to wait for one other girl then we can escort you to the castle."

"Uh, thanks." she said uneasily as she made her way into the station and found two mares, a pegasus and a unicorn chatting when they turned to her and the lavender unicorn greeted her.

"Hello! I'm Twilight Sparkle of Canterlot and this is Blossomforth from Hollow Shades." The pegasus nodded her head.

Applejack slightly smiled at the pleasantness of these mares, she was afraid that she would have to deal with fussy, spoiled fillies during her time at the castle but Twilight seemed like quite the opposite of what she was expecting given the greeting she just gave her. She felt an instant kinship with the unicorn. But then a question plagued her and asked.

"But if you're already living in Canterlot, then why are you at the train station?"

Twilight replied, "They told me it would be easier to keep the girls straight and that it wouldn't mess up the schedule had I arrived at the castle before the rest of you."

A voice called out, "More likely it's so you wouldn't get a head start over the rest of us!"

They turned to see an orange unicorn walking to them with bacon-like hair and they noticed her cutie was like a setting sun. She had an air of certainty about her as she made her way to them.

She pompously proclaimed, "Sunset Shimmer."

"Applejack." AJ slit her eyes.

"Twilight Sparkle." Twilight stated.

"B-Blossomforth…" Blossom said quietly as she felt intimated by the new mare.

Sunset smirked at this which made Applejack and Twilight insistently dislike her. They could tell right away that Sunset was trying to prove she was better than the rest of them and that she would be the winner of the Selection.

AJ thought, So she thinks she can act like a bull and buck us all off, eh? Well she's about to learn this pony's about to take her by the horns and ride on her as long she can!

But before Applejack could say anything Twilight beat her to it.

"You seem pretty confident that Prince Spike is going to choose you just like that."

Sunset smugly replied, "I am. There can be no doubt that he will choose me as his bride."

Applejack said with a doubtful look, "Well, we'll just have to wait and see if that's true. The competition hasn't started yet, you know. It could easily be anyone of us." Except for me… she added in her thoughts.

Sunset seemed annoyed but didn't say anything.

The cowpony inwardly smiled, Good. That got her off her high horse…

Fancypants approached them then and said, "We're ready for you, follow me." he lead them out of the station where they started parading down the street where they were greeted by a mass of ponies with signs of their favorite Selected mare and it seem Twilight had the most signs which did not bode well for Sunset Shimmer.

She whispered loud enough for Applejack to hear, "What did she ever do that's so great?"

AJ shrugged, "You knows, but this is her hometown after all, so maybe a lot ponies knows who she is."

Sunset humphed.

When they finally had reached the castle a mare that was dressed in a purple business outfit had a stern expression on her face but perked up when the girls reached the front steps of the castle.

"Welcome! I am Ms. Harshwinny." then she turned serious, "Now, as the Selected mares of the competition, you are expected to be on your best behavior while living here in the castle. You already know the rules especially the one where you cannot fight or sabotage each other, to do so results automatic disqualification but other than that only prince may dismiss you. Now, you will be escorted to your rooms where you'll have maids meeting your need until I summon you to dinner where you shall meet their royal highnesses, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna but you will not meet the prince until tomorrow morning. Is that clear?"

The girls nodded their heads in agreement before Ms. Harshwinny escorted them into the castle.


The moment Applejack entered her room she was quickly greeted by three maids who introduced themselves as Coco Pommel, Sugar Belle, and Night Gilder. AJ was overwhelmed with their questions about where she lived, what her family was like, why did she sign up for the Selection, what did she think of the other girls so far, and was she going to meet the prince tonight?

Applejack answered the best she could, then said, "I'm pretty tired right now, it has been long day for all of us, so why don't you get some rest yourselves and let me know when dinner is ready."

They seemed uncertain about the order but they obeyed her and the moment they had left the room, Applejack scurried to the balcony window and started breathing heavily. This was just too much for her as the rules and constrictions of the castle caught up to her and she could see out in the distance of her hometown. It was close yet so far away… How she longed to run pass the Canterlot gates just to return there. She then looked down to see a large garden next to the castle and decided that would be more of a ideal place to go to, that way she wouldn't have to leave without breaking the rules and she would be outside the castle.

She ran out the room and went to find the doors that led to the gardens and when she did, she was stopped by two guards that used their wings to block her path.

"Miss, you need to return to your room." one guard said.

The other said, "The Selected are not allowed outside the castle."

Applejack felt her head spinning, This can't be happening! She then did something she thought she would never do her in lifetime. She actually begged. "Please… you gotta let me out, I just need some air."

The first guard shook his head, "I'm sorry, miss."

Applejack panted and in a desperate attempt tried to push past them, but even though they were pegasi they had enough strength to keep her away from the doors, she struggled with them until a loud and commanding voice shouted.

"LET HER GO!"

They turned to the voice and saw a dragon that was just as tall as these stallions.

One guard sputtered, "But your highness, our orders were that the Selected cannot leave the castle."

"I said… Let. Her. Go…" the dragon repeated with authority. They did as he said as Applejack stood there in stun silence. "Now, open the doors."

They do so without hesitation and Applejack seized the moment of running out into the large patch of greenery feeling the cool breeze on her face. She took in a breath of the fresh air and sighed in relief. But the peace did not last long when she heard the dragon's voice.

"Are you alright, my dear?"

She barred her teeth when hearing that and faced him with contempt, "I am not your dear…"

Author's Note:

Reviews are much appreciated.