• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,984 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,984

Chapter 1

"I ain't filling out that form and you can't make me." Applejack stated in a hard tone in her family's farmhouse while they gathered at the breakfast table.

Granny softly replied, "I know youngin'… But by law you're required to."

Big Mac said, "Eeyup." but he wasn't happy about this either.

Apple Bloom shouted, "Law or no! My big sis shouldn't have to compete for some dragon prince just to keep peace in Equestria! My sister should be free to marry whoever she wants!"

Applejack smiled at her sister's words and hugged her.

Granny said, "Now look, we have nothing to worry about, only 35 mares are going to get chosen out of this whole darn thing so chances are Applejack won't get chosen."

"Or I simply won't fill out the form and just let it the whole thing pass me by, whose to know I didn't sign the paper?" AJ gave a sly smile.

Suddenly a letter popped out of nowhere as it began to form into a mouth and begin to speak!

"Please note: If you do not fill in the form for Prince Spike the Dragon's Bride Selection at the appointed time, we would have no choice but to declare war on Equestria once again." the letter then ripped itself up leaving the family to gawk at the remains.

Applejack swore under her breath. This was a complete nightmare for her. The Selection was something that happened every generation after the Great Fire War that took place a thousand years ago. Princess Celestia and Princess Luna wanted no more bloodshed between the ponies and dragons so they appealed to the dragons' nature by offering them gems but that wasn't enough for the Dragon Lord, as he demanded for a pony servant to go with the gems. The princesses didn't like the idea of a pony forcing to serve in the Dragon Lands but luckily it turned out the Dragon's Lord youngest son fell in love with a mare and she returned his affections thus with both the Sisters' and Dragon Lord's blessing they were wed and it was agreed from that day on that the youngest son of the royal dragon line would have a Selection of mares to chose as a wife to keep peace between the ponies and dragons.

Applejack thought the first wedding between the prince and his mare was completely out of love but the weddings after that were arranged marriages. Oh, sure they say they're in love, but how can anyone fall in love under such conditions? Every eligible mare in Equestria that was of age had to fill out a form that was given to them in the mail because it was the law. Thirty-five mares would be picked out of the bunch and would go to the castle in Canterlot where the prince who was the youngest of his line would choose a wife and take her back to his homeland. That's romantic, right?

The cowgirl couldn't help but feel that the mare was the loser not the winner in all this. It was the prince who would get to have everything he wants including a brand new wife! It just wasn't fair…

Granny looked at the form again and read off, "Families of the chosen will be generously compensated for their services to the royal family of Dragonia and the kingdom of Equestria."

Well at least that was one good reason to fill out the form. As much as they were able to meet the bills and have enough food on the table, having some extra bits wouldn't hurt, especially where Granny's health was concern and for Big Mac to be able to make repairs around the farm. All and all it sounded pretty good but she had to remember why the families were being compensated, as it was likely their daughter would be sold off into a marriage most would not want. She couldn't speak for the other mares that were entering a form in but for her personally, she would fight against this until her last breath.


When Applejack begrudgingly finished filling out the sheet, she headed for the local post office to mail it back where to her surprise saw a lot of mares waiting in line while holding the same form she had.

One girl told her friend, "This is so exciting! How amazing would it be if one of us was chosen?!"

"I hope it's me, I would make an excellent princess!"

"You?! Ha! Don't make me laugh!"

The two friends started bickering making Applejack scowl.

See?! This stupid Selection is already messing up ponies' lives! I have every right mind to throw this paper aside and forget the whole thing! Were not for that creepy letter we got… I would do so in a heartbeat!

As she had waited in boredom for the line to go down, she spotted a certain stallion selling costume pieces and wigs. She called out to him in a cheery tone.

"Howdy, Silver Shill!"

The gray stallion saw her and smiled. He and Applejack went back to the time the Flim Flam brothers tried to sell a tonic that could cure any sort of aliment and Granny got sucked into their scam and when Applejack had to save her from a reckless stunt, Silver spoke up the truth about the tonic and ever since then Silver set up business in Ponyville and stayed close friends with the Apple family.

"I see you got one too." he motioned toward the form.

She deadpanned, "Yeah, I'm just overjoyed about it."

Silver chuckled, "I thought as much."

"It's all just one big arranged marriage!"

Silver pondered, "I don't know about that… I mean, sure, it's lousy that the prince can only choose from 35 mares and can't marry someone his own species without breaking the treaty…"

Applejack never thought that but kept frowning as Silver continued.

"But from I heard about the past Selections, the prince and the mare he chose would be in love and were happy together."

AJ countered, "But the mare is force from her home and all she knows! How do we know these mares even remained happy in their marriages?"

"Hm… Good question. Maybe once you're chosen, you'll find out."

"Don't even joke like that! I won't get chosen despite me handing in this paper! No, I'm staying right where I am and no form, no contest, and no dragon prince is going to change that for me!"


Prince Spike sighed deeply as he sat beside his sister, Princess Ember who was talking to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna over the Selection arrangements that would be made over the next couple of weeks. The forms had already been sent out to every eligible mare in Equestria. The choosing would be made within the week. The thirty-five mares will arrive the week after as of that moment room preparations and meal selections were being made for them.

Everything was for them. And no one had bothered to ask if he had even wanted this in the first place. From the time he was very small no bigger than a filly or colt he was told that from the moment he would reach eighteen he would have to wed a pony to keep the peace treaty intact with Equestria. Oh sure, he knew from his uncles that they were happy or pleased with the mares they chose during their bride selections but he wasn't sure he would have the same success as them. Sometimes he wished he was the eldest child instead of his sister then he wouldn't have to worry about this whole thing.

"Is the young prince not excited about finding a wife?" Luna asked him, getting him out his thoughts.

He nervously chuckled, "Wife… that sounds so strange to say…"

Ember knew her little brother wasn't exactly thrilled with this whole arrangement, neither was she for that matter. Her brother was too kind for this sort of thing to be happening to him. He deserved to have some say in his fate and choosing from thirty-five mares wasn't going to cut it. She spoke up, "Our father gave strict orders to find a suitable bride and Spike is making sure that he keeps to his duty."

Celestia gave a concern look, the past dragon princes she had hosted for were either anxious or ecstatic for this but if Prince Spike felt otherwise then maybe it was time for a new peace treaty to take place but Dragon Lord Torch would play hardball with this. The Selection had been happening for over a thousand years now and for that to suddenly change would break any peace over the dragons and ponies. It was a very precarious situation.

So instead she asked Spike, "What does his highness wish for in his bride?"

Spike looked at the princess with uncertainty, "I'm afraid I don't even know… This is my first time of seeking a mate and I just don't know how to look for her."

Luna and Celestia exchanged troubled looks, the other princes knew what they were looking for but this was the first time that a dragon prince was at a loss of what to do or how to look for love. It was very sad.

Luna casted a spell so she could telepathically talk to her sister without their royal guests overhearing them.

"Sister! We cannot let this poor dragon marry someone if he can't fall in love with any of them!"

Celestia thought back, "Agreed. But we will wait until the Selection is underway, who knows? Maybe something will happen that will give the prince a chance at happiness…"

"I pray you're right, Sister… for coming up with another peace treaty with the dragons makes me shudder."

"You are not alone. Torch is as ruthless as his great-grandfather was… We barely reached an agreement with him when it came to Prince Matchstick and Lady Brambleberry's wedding. He insisted that the youngest of his descendants be wed to a pony to keep the tie to Equestria."

"And we only agreed to that as long as there were thirty-five mares to choose from and that they were willingly to participate in the possible chance of marrying a dragon prince. Needless to say, that was no trouble, though it baffles me how so many mares can sign up like that without a second thought."

"Well, don't forget we do offer payment to the families of the Selected."

"Ah, right. That would be a good motivation."

Ember spoke to them causing them to end their telepathic connection. "Princesses, as sister of the prince about to choose his bride and spokesdragon on my father's behalf, I ask that you give me access to the forms once they have been sent back to you."

Celestia and Luna were hesitant about this but as is this was Spike's Selection, the royal family of dragons was entitled to its progress, Celestia stated, "Granted."

Ember looked at her brother with empathy as she thought, Don't worry little brother, I promise to find you some good candidates… I hope you can find some mare to be happy with but if not, I will take this fight to Dad and I won't care how it ends so long as you are free…

Unaware of the allies he had, Spike was still sad from this whole ordeal and he recalled what his father told him before he left for Canterlot.

"Remember, face this with confidence as you are the prince and you are a prize that must be won over. They are competing for you, not the other way around."

He could remember asking, "What if I don't like any of them?"

"Then pick the one you least hate! And make sure she's submissive. We don't need any mares that are willing to challenge our authority here."

"Yes, Father…"

Spike sighed again. This Selection wasn't his idea in the first place and it was hard to be excited for it. And yet… for some reason he felt a glimmer of hope that things will turn out alright in the end. He held on to that feeling, praying that it would never leave his side for he was going to need it within the next few weeks…