• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,987 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,987

Chapter 37

Spike ran all the way back to his guest room while panting heavily. It was too much to wrap his head around. That fact that Applejack thought of him as adopted was absurd and yet… was it really? Looking back now, he didn't look anything like the rest of his family. His coloring, his physique, even his character. He was different from them and growing up, he had no idea why. But now… maybe… just maybe… But he didn't want to consider the possibility. Why would he want to? He had all he ever wanted as a prince. Then he realized that wasn't exactly true.

Sure, I have my sister, Pee-Wee, and all the gems and comic books I could ever want. But I don't have the rest of my family's respect… That's something I always wanted since I was young…

He rubbed his temple, this was so confusing for him that there was only one thing he can do. He went straight to Ember's room.


When Applejack went into the leisure room she told the girls about having a spat with Spike, and right away they try to cheer her up.

Rarity assured her, "I'm sure it won't last long. You two have been through so much already that it's impossible for you not to make up with him."

Sunset agreed, "Right, so try to stay calm in the meantime as you wait for him. This isn't your first fight, and it won't be your last…"

Applejack sighed, "I guess you're right… but I still worry that I pushed him away for good this time."

Fluttershy motioned, "I'm not in a relationship yet but from what I understand… that if you truly were meant for each other then he will come back to you."

Rarity exclaimed, "Absolutely!"

Fluttershy added, "But right now if I was in your place I would sing myself a song to lift my spirits."

Applejack smiled, "That's not a bad idea, sugar cube."

Rarity went, "Ooh! I know just the song, it's from my favorite Bridleway show: Hinny of the Hills!" she went to a nearby grand piano and began to play. Then she sang, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens… Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens… Brown paper packages tied up with strings… These are a few of my favorite things… Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels…" She winked at Fluttershy and Applejack making them blush, as the unicorn kept singing, "Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles… Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings… These are a few of my favorite things…

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes… Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes… Silver-white winters that melt into springs… These are a few of my favorite things… When the dog bites… When the bee stings… When I'm feeling sad… I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad…" she addressed them, "Now you say what your favorite things are."

Sunset stated with a smile, "Learning magic!"

Applejack beamed, "Apple fritters!"

Fluttershy proclaimed excitedly, "Cute furry animals!"

Rarity gestured, "Now sing with me!"

They sung together, "Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens… Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens… Brown paper packages tied up with strings… These are a few of my favorite things… Cream-colored ponies and crisp apple strudels… Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles… Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings… These are a few of my favorite things… Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes… Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes… Silver white winters that melt into springs… These are a few of my favorite things… When the dog bites… When the bee stings… When I'm feeling sad… I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad!"

After the last cord they laughed and started to play around.


Spike knocked on the door, once his sister answered; she could see the sad look in his eyes and permitted him in.

"Spike? What's wrong? Did you and Applejack get into another fight?"

"Somewhat… Applejack brought up something that I don't know if it's real or not."

"What is?"

He grew serious and told her, "Ember… Am I…?" he paused then stated, "Adopted?"

Ember's eyes widen before she sighed deeply, "You better sit down…" she led him to the bed as they sat together.

Spike was growing more confused by the second, the fact his sister didn't outright deny his question made him on edge.

Ember sighed again and looked at the floor, "My mother was dying… we didn't know how much longer she would last… But I was determined to find a cure for her. So when I set out to the boarders of Dragonia, I couldn't find anything useful until one day I was exploring a volcano and I spotted this purple spotted egg floating down a river of lava… I brought the egg back to Mom and she told me that we needed to take care of this lonely egg especially since it would hatch into a dragon like us… So we presented the egg to Dad making him believe his mate laid it. As time went on, the egg finally hatched and that's how you were born, Spike, my brother."

Spike's had tears coming out of his eyes, he couldn't believe it… it was true. He really was adopted. He was no prince of Dragonia. He was an orphan with no parents. It was no wonder he and Applejack were so alike.

Ember shook her head, "That mare of yours is a smart one, she figured out unlike the rest of our family. Which was a good thing because had they known, you would have been treated far worst… But I wasn't going to give them a reason to, so I kept it a secret from you."

He slowly said, "So… Everything that I thought… Everything that I am… was a lie…"

She wrapped a claw around him, "No. You are my brother… and I… I love you."

He gaped at her, "Whoa… you never say that word…"

"Well it just shows much you've meant to me these last eighteen years. But you have to promise to keep this between us."

"Of course…" he sighed, "I just wish a certain mare would tell me she loves me…"

"She would, weren't not for father's disapproval of her…"

Spike slowly lifted his head to give off a determined look and stood up. He made for the door making Ember bewildered of his actions as she asked.

"Where are you going?"

"To do something I should have done in the beginning…" he went out.

"Beginning? Beginning of what?!" she ran after him.


Applejack had returned to her room after the girls' fun-fill afternoon. It did cheer her up till the fun was over and they went back to their rooms. She sighed on the bed, hoping that Spike would come back to see her. The fear of not seeing him again made her heart ache. She couldn't take it anymore, she needed him.

Spike… please come back soon, I need to tell you something… Something I can't hold off any longer…


Spike faced the mirror much to Ember and Garble's surprise. This was a new behavior coming from "little" Spike. When Torch's face appeared he was just as surprised to see his son had summoned him.

Spike gave a firm look, "Father. We need to talk."

Torch's brow lifted, "This is unexpected coming from you… You're usually hiding behind your sister and keeping quiet."

"Yeah, well, maybe it's time to change that…" Spike said in strong voice, "I'm tired of waiting for your approval… I'm in love with Applejack. I've been in love with her for awhile now, and I can't just sit and wait until you decide to let us get married. I love her. Do you hear? I love her."

Ember gasped as Garble was smirking uncontrollably with a look that said, Oh, he's going to get it now!

Torch gave off no emotion nor did he say anything. Spike didn't budge from his spot and kept a hard face.

Suddenly, the mighty dragon began to laugh!

Ember and Garble exchanged confused looks while Spike slightly furrowed a brow.

Torch's laughter slowly began to die down, as he wiped a tear away, declaring, "Finally! It's about time you showed some backbone! I nearly gave up on you!"

All three of the young dragons gawked with Spike voicing, "I don't understand…"

"It's very simple, Spike. You were always the runt of the family but I have seen how strong you can be with all that you have endured. But it disappointed me greatly how you wouldn't dragon-up. As my son it was expected of you. It's one thing for other dragons to dare challenge my authority but if my own son can't even stand up for himself then he becomes a lost cause. Though I don't exactly like how it was a mare that made you speak up but at least you finally did it." he said in exasperation, "Go ahead, marry the pony, end this Selection and come home. And that goes for you two as well." looking at Ember and Garble.

Ember smiled as she put a claw on Spike's shoulder, "You got it, Dad. We'll make sure the wedding happens within the next few days, you know how the ponies love to make a big deal out of these frivolous ceremonies."

Torch nodded, "Quite. Just make sure you follow the tradition of the last Selection weddings."

Ember smirked, "But of course."

Spike couldn't believe what just happened. Torch just gave his blessing without a second thought! Happiness overwhelmed him so much that he was sure he was going to topple over.

However, neither Spike or Ember noticed Garble looking rather peeved by the whole thing as he slipped out of the room to who knows where…


Applejack was just about to get to bed when suddenly her door burst opened and two strong pairs of arms grabbed her up to spin her around.

"It's over! It's finally over, Applejack!" Spike cried out in excitement.

"Whoa! Slow down, Spike! What's over?"

He held her up while saying, "The Selection! He finally gave his blessing!"

Applejack gasped before going, "Hee-haw! Can it really be?!"

He set her down as he softly uttered, "Yes…"

"Oh, Spike…" she set her head on his chest, "I was so worried…"

"Worried? About what?"

"I thought… I might have pushed you away again…"

He smiled at her as he whispered in her ear, "Never… I'll always come back to you…"

"But the way you ran out like that this afternoon… I was scared you wouldn't want to see me again given how I might have hurt you about possibly bein' adopted…"

"I was hurt, yes… but when I talked to Ember about it, she told me everything… How she found me as an egg and brought me back to her home… I was raised in Dragonia's royal family from that moment on… It's amazing, really… You think you know who you are until something like this brings it down… I can't help but wonder what other parts of my life have been a lie…"

Applejack looked up into his eyes and took his chin so he could face her. She told him, "I can tell you this… our relationship will never be based on a lie… because I love you…"

His eyes went wide as dinner plates as he uttered out, "What did you say…?"

She smiled lovingly and proclaimed, "Spike, I love you."

He was on the verge of happy tears as he lifted her up again and declared, "And I love you, Applejack! You are the apple of my eye!"

Now her own happy tears spilled as she chuckled from his declaration. They moved in for a kiss, but upon impact, the kiss grew deep to the point they were lost in passion. Without breaking the kiss, Spike moved her to the bed to lay with him on top of her. His claw settled to her thigh, and the touch alone made Applejack pull his face closer to get every taste of her love. When they took a breath, they stared at each other with bedroom eyes. Spike resumed kissing her, from her lips, her cheek, her neck… All the while his legs shifted to sync with hers.

Applejack could feel something hard around his lower waist and it brought her out her heat-filled trance. She uttered, "Wait…"

Spike stopped kissing and looked at her in concern, "What's wrong?"

"It's just… well, I've never done this before… and… it terrifies me…" she confessed.

Spike understood when he felt his lower half being more hot than usual. A small blush crept on his face, "Sorry… I didn't mean…"

She quickly said, "It's not that I don't want to do it with you… I just… don't know how…"

"It's okay, it's my first time too…" he nuzzled his head to hers.

She caressed his cheek, "Maybe we should wait until we have better knowledge of pleasuring the other…" she said with a small smirk.

"That's a good idea…" he smirked back.

"But will you stay with me tonight?"

He held her face and kissed her lips, asking, "What do you think?"

She beamed as she cuddled closer to him with his arms wrap around her making her feel safe and loved.