• Published 9th Apr 2017
  • 2,980 Views, 185 Comments

A Dragon's Selection - CartoonNerd12



A Selection AU. 35 mares. 1 dragon. The competiton of a lifetime.

  • ...
9
 185
 2,980

Chapter 7

Applejack was sleeping peacefully till she felt something touching her nose. Her eyes slowly opened before they widen and she sat up in her bed to find a tree sapling hanging over her bed and estimated that the leaves had been touching her nose.

"What in tarnation?" she muttered then she found a note hanging on one of the sapling's branches, she read it out loud, "This is my gift to you for all the help you've been giving, whether it was helping me set up dates, giving advice, or simply just listening to me… I hope this gives you some comfort of home. By the way, how do you like the name, Bloomberg? Your friend, Spike."

She was speechless. She didn't know what to say, this was the most generous act by the dragon prince aside from him letting her stay to give her family money. The beating in her chest was slowly growing more rapid by the second. She quickly touched it to stop its pace as she said to herself.

Easy there, girl. Don't let yourself get lost to this kind gift, you made a promise to yourself and you're going to keep it! Your family is counting on you to come home and Spike needs you to help him find a wife! You must not lose control over your feelings!

She was trying but after every single thing Prince Spike had done for her and shared with her, she couldn't maintain the emotions that were raging through her.

Sweet Celestia, I'm in trouble.


"Are you okay, Applejack? You seem distracted." Twilight asked the cowgirl once they were in the girls' leisure room that afternoon. The other twenty-seven mares were there as well having downtime or talking to the other girls. One of the conversations was being held by Sunset and Junebug who seemed to be in a heated argument with the unicorn.

"Uh? Oh, sorry about that, I was just thinking about something, anyway, how are you doin'?"

Twilight gave a timid smile, "I've been better."

"Anything you want to talk about?"

"Well… you said you weren't interested in Spike and yet I saw you with him last night in the gardens when I was looking out my balcony window."

"Oh! That? That was just two friends talkin', nothin' more." She added in her afterthought, I think…

"In a garden at night?" the unicorn raised her brow.

"I know how it looks, but I swear nothin' happened between us."

"Oh…" Twilight sounded disappointed.

Now it was Applejack's turn to raise her brow, she heard the disappointment in her friend's tone and it had risen her curiosity, she was about to ask Twilight why she sounded so dejected when suddenly there was a loud smack and they turned to see Sunset was rubbing her cheek while Junebug looked mortified.

Sunset shouted out, "She hit me! She totally hit me!"

Cloudchaser called out, "That's because you provoked her!"

Sunset retorted, "But she still hit me and that is against the rules!"

Tears welled up in Junebug's eyes and she swiftly left the room. She was gone before dinner.


The next few days slowly went on and Applejack had not seen Spike since their time in the gardens not that she cared but it did make her wonder. But at least she got to spend more time with Twilight as well as some of the other girls like Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie. She still wanted to know why Twilight sounded disappointed on the day Junebug was force out but decided to let it go for now. Poor Junebug, everypony in that room knew Sunset said something to make Junebug lash out like that. This was all part of the unicorn's plot to get rid of her competition sooner but unfortunately no one could prove that without making it seem they were sabotaging Sunset instead.

All the more reason you have to make sure Spike stays away from her… She doesn't deserve Spike at all. Her eyes widen. Whoa. Getting a little overprotective there, aren't ya, filly?

She sighed, her emotions were getting worst and worst. She then spotted Rarity, Minuette, Starlight, Trixie, and Sunset were talking among themselves in a frenzy. The country mare had to ask, "What's goin' on here?"

Minuette replied, "It's Lightning Dust, she just been eliminated."

"What?" AJ was surprised by this, all she could think about was, Spike was out on a date with Lightning Dust? But… I thought Spike would ask me who he should date… At least I thought that's what he was getting at when we made the deal…

Her thoughts were broken when Rarity said, "And it is rather mysterious as to why she left."

Starlight pointed, "I was the last one who saw her before she left and she gave me this warning, 'be careful with what you say'. Then she left in a huff."

Trixie motioned, "Obviously the prince was insulted by her words to him and that's why he dismissed her. Good thing too, she was such a blowhard." she flipped her mane, "Not like the Great and Powerful Trixie who is so humble that no one could possibly not love her."

Rarity and Applejack exchanged weary expressions just as Sunset bluntly said, "Expect the prince."

Trixie glared at her, "Prince Spike does in fact love Trixie! Trixie was with him last night after dinner and he absolutely loved how Trixie performed for him!"

Sunset scoffed in amusement, "Ha! He's looking for a wife not a show horse. Obviously the prince is looking for a companion that can provide him with the right kind of intimacy… If he was really serious about you, he would've had you in bed already."

When hearing those words, Applejack felt herself boiling over and ended up stomping her hoof and shouting, "Spike is not that kind of dragon! He wouldn't just pick some random mare and sleep with her in one night!"

Rarity spoke up, "I must agree. Prince Spike is much too refine for that sort of thing."

"He wants love!" AJ insisted, "And he's not going to get that just by sleeping with several mares, there's more to a relationship then that and he knows that!"

Sunset narrowed her eyes at the cowgirl, "You seem to know a lot about the prince… not to mention you're going on a first name basis with him…"

The girls stared at Applejack curiously and the earth pony felt cornered.

Aw, shoot… how am I going to get out this…? I can't lie but telling the truth might things worst… They don't know I'm not pursuing Spike but they might think I am…

Sunset kept speaking as she pointed with an accusing hoof, "What could he possibly see in a country bumpkin like you? You wear that ridiculous hat every day, and you don't bother putting on any makeup so you're far from gorgeous… So what's your secret?" she demanded that last part.

The other girls leaned in so they could hear Applejack's answer.

AJ stated, "There's no secret, Spike just likes me, that's all."

The orange unicorn declared, "There you go again with the name! None of us have been able to use his name without his title! Now you are up to something and I'm going to find out what!"

"And I kept tellin' ya, there's no secret. And I always tell the truth so just drop it already!" she rushed pass the girls not seeing the menacing stare Sunset was giving off to her.


Tonight was the night that Discord would be interviewing the remaining twenty-five mares. Applejack was in her room with Sugar Belle helping her with her mane as she gave her a list of possible questions that Discord would be asking tonight. Like how was she enjoying palace life? What was the most romantic thing the prince has done for her? Did she miss her family? Has the prince kissed her yet?

Applejack turn to her in shock, "Why would he say that?!"

Sugar shrugged, "It might come up. Sir Discord is known for asking embarrassing questions and he loves to find any type of gossip."

AJ grumbled, "Great…" Coco and Night Gilder came in then with a rack of dresses and Coco grabbed a dress that was teal and pink with diamond imprints on the back, she inquired, "Uh, isn't that dress a little fancy for me?"

Coco said, "But it'll look perfect on you for the interview!"

"But why…?"

Night Gilder piped up, "Listen, as maids we eyes and ears on everything that goes around in this castle. And the other maids have told us how the prince seems to favor your company above the rest, given the other girls of the Selection were complaining about you being close to him."

Applejack started, "That's not-" but was cut off when Coco pointed.

"I also heard from the maids that used to serve Miss Lightning Dust that she said some mean things about the other girls particularly you."

AJ's brow lift, "Me?"

Coco nodded, "And that's why he dismissed her right away."

Night Gilder gestured, "And that's why we're sure you're his favorite."

The country mare shook her head, "It's not like that." but a piece of her heart betrayed her when she felt a prick of sadness.

But the trio seemed to ignore her protest and kept insisting she wear the dress but wasn't convinced until Sugar Belle said.

"I have just the hair accessory that can go with it!" she held a pink and teal jewel barrette. "It be a shame to let it go to waste."

Applejack sighed, "Alright, but just this once. I'm not the type that gussies up a lot."

The girls giggled with NG saying, "We figured as much."

In minutes, Applejack was in the dress with her hair styled up in a way she would never wear around the farm or Ponyville. When she looked at herself in the mirror, she was awestruck by the change and her maids were equally as stunned before letting out huge smiles.

"You're definitely ready." Night Gilder smirked, "We should give you a new name like 'Apple Jewel'."

AJ shook her head and chuckled, "That won't be necessary cause after tonight it's back to plain old Applejack."

But what she didn't know is that later tonight her life would change forever…