• Published 5th Mar 2017
  • 3,359 Views, 227 Comments

Princess Flurry Heart Versus the Mud Monsters - kudzuhaiku



To save Ponyville, Flurry Heart may have to destroy it.

  • ...
13
 227
 3,359

Either get busy princessin' or get busy dyin'

Princess Flurry Heart channeled the chill of winter into the mud monsters’ hearts. The big ones were slowing; one day, she might freeze them solid in an eyeblink, but today was not that day, and that was fine. Twilight was flying in a protective circle around her, but Flurry did not see her. She was too caught up in the glory of her magic.

The muddy poo monster and the muddy compost monster merged, like two great masses of mucky molasses, they melded together, becoming larger, stronger, and more powerful. Flurry was already nullifying them, her storm was driving the dust from the air to purify it. The little alicorn filly was filled with cool confidence. Not only was she finally getting her time to shine, she was with her friends, and they too, were getting their moment of glory.

For once, they hadn’t screwed things up too badly.

Down below, Flurry could sense a rush of warm, cosy love, and she knew that her tutor and Starlight Glimmer were having a bit of a snog. It was like a spark or a match that lit a fire and Flurry manifested a cold that was proportional to their warmth. The ginormous giant of a muddy poo-compost monster now moved with comical slow motion, and the smaller, far less threatening mud monsters had stopped moving altogether.

Borne upon the winds of winter, Flurry swooped down, leaving behind a wake that smelled of peppermints, of spice, of gingerbread cookies, all of the scents associated with the holidays. She flew up to the massive mud monster, the disgusting creature made of filth, and she heard its burbling roar that was growing weaker with each passing moment.

Wings flapping, she placed a hoof upon it with a light touch and a blue glow radiated outwards from where she had tapped it. It froze, becoming hard and brittle, thunderous crackling sounds like the movements of glaciers filled the air. In that moment, for that second, Princess Flurry Heart was the majestic princess that she had dreamed of being. She had nullified a credible threat and she had saved her subjects.

Okay, maybe they were Twilight Sparkle’s subjects, but she had saved them.

The day, now grey with snow clouds, was being saved. Flurry, waited, patient, as the liquid mass of the muddy poo-compost monster froze. This was more like freezing custard, due to the thick consistency, and she had a lot of experience doing this. She realised that her mother and her tutor had trained her well. Freezing them was not enough though, and she knew it.

“Where is Tarnished Teapot?” Flurry asked in a booming voice, a mighty display of her princess power.

“He’s coming,” Twilight replied. “That’s all I know. He’s coming. The last message that came out of the magic mirror said to sit tight until he could arrive to nullify the bad magic in the dirt.”

Tapping her hoof against the now frozen mud, Flurry nodded. This soil, this earth, had been tainted with bad magic. Malicious, malevolent magic, the kind that only Mister Teapot could deal with. This walking chunk of garden fertiliser needed to be purged so that it could be used to grow fruits and vegetables.

“Bashers!” Flurry boomed in the voice of a commanding holiday spirit. “Destroy this abomination! It offends your princess!” Flapping her wings, she rose, moving away from the mud monster that was now frozen solid, unmoving, a thing now as hard as stone. Flurry knew exactly what to do with a hunk of stone that needed destroyed.

Below her, Olive lifted up Pebble in her telekinesis, and then round and round Pebble went over Olive’s head. Crazy, insane amounts of momentum was built up, something only an alicorn or a stone pony might survive, and then with a banshee scream, Olive launched Pebble, turning friend and fellow Basher into a ballistic missile of mass destruction.

Pebble went streaking away, once again moving at around three-hundred metres per second or so, just under the speed of sound, just as Flurry had seen her do once already. Pebble was the bomb and just like her mother and her father, she was classified as a living weapon of mass destruction. She was a being of immense physical power who was just coming into her own as she was graced with adolescence.

A mere fraction of a second before impact, a heavy shield surrounded Flurry and Twilight could be seen gritting her teeth. Olive had thrown a Pebble at their enemy, and now, the enemy was about to go away in a dramatic fashion. Flurry, capable of dealing with time in a way that normal ponies could not, watched all of this as it played out, her eyes taking in every detail, she was capable of seeing everything.

Pebble had adopted her ‘superpony’ pose, one front hoof forward, one reared back, and she collided with the frozen fifty foot tall behemoth with terrific force. There was a sound like glass shattering, but worse. A shockwave of energy buffeted the shield around Flurry and then a second later there were a thousand impacts as shards of frozen filth pummeled the shield that Twilight had projected.

Houses toppled, a water tower leaned over, its metal struts bending, creaking, the sound of metal fatigue filled the air, and the resulting explosion sent an immense shockwave of devastation radiating outwards from the epicenter where the Pebble-bomb had struck. The great muddy monster was now nothing more than freeze dried slivers and shards of nastiness. The sound was indescribable, other than it was the noise of utter and complete destruction. The big mud monster exploding caused the smaller, less impressive mud monsters to also pop and shatter—along with pretty much every window in town.

Winter had come to Ponyville and unleashed its destructive fury. In its wake there would be a fertile spring, the soil renewed, revitalised, rich in compost and fertiliser. Such was the way of things, such was harmony. Flurry knew her place now, she understood, and her mind knew a peace previously unexperienced.

She was Flurry Heart, Alicorn Princess, the Heart of Winter, and the leader of the Wipe-Outs.


Seeing her tutor, Sunburst, and Starlight Glimmer wrapped up together in a blanket made Flurry’s heart feel warm and squishy. Both were holding mugs of warm cocoa, which was fine for them, but Flurry wasn’t in the mood for cocoa after fighting a mighty excremental monster. She flinched and let out a hiss as the nurse drove yet another staple into a very delicate place on her southern reaches.

“Meouch!”

Nearby, Megara too, was being stapled and glued back together with body spackle. Flurry braced herself, knowing that more staples were forthcoming. She was tired, but satisfied. There was a tremendous feeling of euphoria from her victory, a sense of accomplishment. The Wipe-Outs had saved the day and Flurry hoped that whatever punishment was coming for their escape would be minimal.

“Ow!” Flurry let out a hiss as the staple gun made an ear-raising metallic clunk and a stabbing pain went shooting through her backside. The gash in her dock had to be closed and Flurry was having a hard time maintaining her princessly demeanour. Not far away, Olive’s whimpers could also be heard, as she was being sutured as well while Pebble was holding tight to her hoof.

Heroism had a cost in staples, stitches, and body spackle.

Turning her head, Flurry looked over at Sumac, who had escaped unharmed, for the most part. For once, their adventures didn’t involve him getting his head stapled back together or being mummified in bandages. He was smothered by his mothers, all three of them, and somewhere in that mess of overprotective mares was Boomer, buried.

With a click, the door opened and Flurry glanced over to see who it was. Twilight Sparkle came in, looking only a little worse for wear, a little dirty, a little damp, and she had some cuts that needed tending to. Biting her lip, Flurry choked back a cry as another staple went in, and one fat tear rolled down from the twitching corner of her eye. Flurry was determined to take this like a princess.

“Tarnish has arrived and he is purging the area of bad magic,” Twilight reported as she came over to where Flurry Heart was being tended to. Drawing herself up to her full majestic height, the regal alicorn and aunt looked down at her niece with a smile. “I owe you a debt of thanks, Princess Flurry Heart.”

Heart thumping, Flurry hardly even felt the next staple as it pierced the tender flesh of her damaged dock. Nearby, Megara yowled and let out a snarl of pain. Flurry’s ears pivoted towards the source of the sound, but her eyes remained on Twilight, who had just addressed her as a princess, and not in a teasing way.

“You’ve grown so much, Flurry,” Twilight said as liquid pride shimmered in her eyes. “Because you saved Ponyville, I’m willing to forgive you for wrecking my castle. Again.” A broad smile crossed Twilight’s face, and she beamed down at her niece, her face like a miniature lavender sun. “You did very well. Destruction was minimal and acceptable. You kept the smallest, most vulnerable members of your team safe. Sumac is unharmed, as far as I know, and that’s not how these things usually end.”

Flurry nodded. Typically, these adventures ended with Sumac and her other teammates in the intensive care unit. Twilight was right, this had gone well. Pride burned inside of Flurry’s little alicorn heart like embers in a furnace.

“You actually worked with Olive and Pebble, and didn’t compete with them, trying to show them up. That shows maturity… you put the safety and security of others ahead of your own glory and the need to prove yourself.”

Again, Flurry nodded, and she winced as another staple pierced her dock. A tear spilled from her eye and she squirmed a bit, but not too much. Things had gone better, Twilight was right. This time, there had been no silly contest to prove who was bigger, better, faster, stronger, or more capable.

“Are you… are you gonna… will you tell Sleet that I was bad?” Flurry asked, her voice hitching somewhat from her hesitation.

“No.” Twilight let out a resigned sigh. “Sometimes, the most important lesson that a princess can learn is when to cause trouble.” Reaching out a wing, Twilight stroked her niece as the final staple was applied to close up the horrendous gash in her dock. “You had the right skills for the job, and the right team, too.” Drawing in a deep breath, Twilight continued, “It’s a hard lesson to learn, knowing when to rebel. It took me a long time to learn this lesson, when to break away from my mentor Princess Celestia and do things my own way. It caused me a lot of fear, worry, and doubt, but as it turns out, Princess Celestia wanted me to defy her… it was the final lesson that I had to learn and truly become the princess she believed me to be.”

“Really?” Flurry tried very hard to understand what her aunt was saying.

“Really.” Twilight gave her niece a nod. “In fact, I found out after the fact that Princess Celestia would put me into a situation with a set of instructions that made it almost impossible to achieve the desired results. The instructions made it very difficult, very dangerous, and in many cases, made the situation so much worse, but I followed those instructions, because Princess Celestia had given them.” Blinking, she let out a sigh of regret and then added, “I was so eager to please.”

“Princessing is tricky,” Flurry said to her aunt as the nurse began to wrap gauze around her dock.

“It is,” Twilight replied with a nod. “But you have your Wipe-Outs. They’re your best friends, Flurry, your accomplices. Being your friends, they’ll be very forgiving if you make a mistake, and they’ll steer you in the right direction. Everything you will ever need to know about princessing, you will learn from your friends, just like I learned how to be a princess by being with my friends.”

“Yeah, I guess the four of us are pretty special.” Flurry squirmed a bit as more gauze was applied, the pressure pushed down on the staples and brought some serious discomfort.

“Six,” Pebble corrected.

“Huh?” Flurry looked away from her aunt and stared at Pebble.

“I propose a merger. Olive and I were outclassed today and I think the six of us stand a better chance in future engagements if we work together.” Pebble gave Olive’s hoof a squeeze, and Olive nodded. “You didn’t screw up today, Flurry.”

Pebble’s compliment almost floored Flurry, and she felt a lump grow in her throat.

“Hey a group of friends and a dragon,” Twilight remarked as she began to chuckle. “That’s all you need to change the world. I know, because I’ve done it. You’ve got everything a princess in training needs, Flurry Heart.”

“I do, don’t I?” Shifting her weight a bit, Flurry wiped her eyes with her foreleg and began to sniffle. The team was going to need a new name, or so she thought. Feeling eyes on her, she looked around the room and found that everypony was looking at her. Everypony. Trixie, Lemon Hearts, even Twinkleshine. Was that pride that she saw in Twinkleshine’s eyes? Acceptance? Like her beloved pink cherry blossoms in spring, Flurry felt hope blossom.

“Congratulations, Flurry Heart, you’ve proven your worth as a Princess of Equestria.” And with that, Twilight bowed her head.

Others followed suit, some sitting, some standing, but all bowed their heads, even the nurses took a moment to do so. Flurry felt a peculiar sensation, one of worry, and she realised that now that she had their respect, she was going to have to work even harder to make sure that she did not let them down. As Twilight had once said, a princess’ work was never done.

Flurry’s work was just beginning and the little princess began to make plans.

Author's Note:

And so ends our tale.

But our hero's story is just beginning.

Tell me what you think in the comments. :heart:

Comments ( 55 )

Is Grogar already dealt with at this point?
I kindof expect yes and no.

be neat if The Wipeouts could join in the buttkicking of Grogars Minions.

8009081
excellent
that means you have plenty of author tools to make flurry and friends also suffer character growing trauma :scootangel:

Well, that was pretty good. I hope we see more of this age group of heroes, it was great.

This is some of my favorite writing you've done! You made Flurry into a real character

Really liked it. Always good to see the next generation taking charge. :twilightsmile:

This was fun, and an interesting look into the mind of Equestria's youngest princess. It'll be fun seeing more of the Wipe-Out's shenanigans.

8009120

Oh, there is a younger princess.

I wasn't expecting to like the next generation as much as I liked Tarnish, Maud, and the rest of their crowd, but this story really shows them coming into their own. Excellent job as always!

I'm looking forward to the further adventures of this group.

8009124 Oh yeah, I'd forgotten Cadance was pregnant again at the end of Perilous Romance of Swans. (I am remembering the right thing...right?)

Let's go, Twilight. Actually recognizing the first natural-born alicorn as a Princess. And Flurry saves the day... While causing acceptable collateral damage.

"Strategy dictates that there will be damage and losses. The trick is managing these factors to minimize them."

Interesting twist now will the two groups combining make people rest easier of be much most scared.
Though if Flurry had thought of it sooner the snow and ice would help contain the dust. Again with hints of past adventures for the various charecters

8009289

At some point, you need to visit your local Highland games. :trollestia:

Ok the Kaber toss was hilarious. The x-men like fast ball special just made my week.

The entire group and story was an excellent break from the dark and serious tones the rest of the weedverse was going threw.

I absolutely love how we got to see what each member brought to the table in this.

That was cute. Reminded me a bit of Bucky.

The Lord of Winter, not his ancestor that got his brains splattered by a pistol.

8009124 *Gestation hype intensifies*

8009440

Cadance was pregnant again, if you recall, in the end of The Sun Also Surprises.

That was a very good time, I never thought I'd say this but more Flurry please~! :yay:

Something that wouldn't get out of my head:

"Okay, okay, the last order of business before the Bashers and the Wipe-outs are officially merged is what our new name will be, any ideas?"

Boomer lept up. "The Boomers!"

Megara nodded sagaciously. "Things often go boom around us."

Pebble released a faint sigh. "While that may be true, it would get confusing using the same name as one of our members."

Flurry fluffed her wings. "Pebble's right, anyone else?"

There was a long pause.

"We could always use my idea." Sumac interjected.

Groans were heard from Flurry and Pebble. Olive raised a hoof to her mouth as she suddenly began to spasm all over.

"No Sumac." Pebble replied, fixing her special somepony with a glare.

"Aaaw, why not?"

Flurry let out a huff. "Sumac, we are not going around Equestria as 'The Shit Kickers', it's silly."

Olive's spasms broke free into laughter as Megara and Boomer joined in. Sumac struggled against the growing grin on his face but ultimately failed.

Flurry growled and her perfect, square teeth ground against each other. "Come on! This is serious! We need ponies and everyone else to respect us, even the ones who only hear stories or read about it in the papers. They need to know that every time a storm of trouble rolls through that we'll be there to help." Flurry tilted her head. "Judging by yesterday maybe even with a bigger storm."

Sumac began to open his mouth only for Pebble to interrupt with a stony glare. After a moment Olive cleared her throat, the room immediately looking in her direction.

"Um, well, if we focus on the storm part of the idea, what about 'The Stormriders'?"

Everyone around the room took a moment to consider it and Flurry, seeing generally positive facial expressions swiftly raised her forehoof.

"I like it! Let's try it, sounds good to everyone?"

And with nods all around, 'The Stormriders' had officially begun.

8009443

Oh right~! Thanks for the reminder.

Very satisfactory character development all around.

This needs to be a comic book! "Princess Flurry Heart and her Sensational Wipe- Outs"! Excelsior!!!!

A fastball special, with Pebble as the fastball. Damn.

Six friends, long known to be a magical number.

On to more shenanigans!!!! :pinkiehappy::pinkiecrazy:

So wait, did Sunburst just completely postpone the proposal? I would've thought we would see that.

I love it when a plan comes together.

I really enjoyed this story and look forward to more editions to it. :twilightsheepish:

8010129

I don't see the problem.

In one instance, she is mentioning Sumac. In the other, she mentions her own innocence.

Again, Flurry nodded, and she winced as another staple pierced her dock.

What is the dock ?

Didn't Pebble used to hate being levitated? Glad to see she got over that.

So, Flurry Heart's status concerns me. In a world where alicorn princesses ascend after being found worthy, how does a natural born princess fit in? Does she get the title just because?

Also, it really concerns me to hear a child talk about ponies in terms of 'assets'. Logic me out the necessity of it all you want, it'll never make me feel anything other than deeply uncomfortable.

So, Spike's giant again. Neat. I can't help but wonder how the first time went. I mean, Spike's greed growth was a major thing. How did they know that growing him with a spell wouldn't make him go nuts again? With how mysterious his biology is, I wonder how bad things needed to be for them to even consider it? Unless the Mount Maud incident was the first time. I might have just answered my own question. Fair enough. I can't help but remember that Spike did not grow giant during the harpy attack on Ponyville. I'm actually really glad to realize that. He's still a child, kinda, and using a child as a instrument of mass death really would be screwed up.

So, I get the impression that this is after Twilight's "crisis of faith". I dunno, I was kinda hoping it would be an occasion in which Celestia was genuinely wrong, allowing them both to grow together. Or maybe I'm jumping the gun, hard to say. We'll see, I suppose. I wonder if Celestia knows about Sumac's desire to be a mortician, yet? Yet another thing to find out in the future.

I have some other stuff to say about Trixie, but I'll do that later. I feel a proper rant coming on. :pinkiehappy: A good one, I assure you.

This was a fun, if incredibly gross story. I guess I like Flurry Heart, now.

I've been meaning to ask: should I have any idea who Silver Lining is? I've got nothing.

8010566

Silver Lining is a griffoness.

8010576

Huh...I think I actually remember that one. Vaguely. Is super shy, or something.

...Sumac's tastes are varied. He clearly does not discriminate. :rainbowwild: I only kinda feel bad for making that statement. :twilightblush:

This makes me flush with joy. In loo of that, have a yay!

:yay:

Bashers!” Flurry boomed in the voice of a commanding holiday spirit. “Destroy this abomination! It offends your princess!”

Destoy yon beasty, for it offends our delicate eyes. :raritystarry: OFF WITH ITS HEAD! :flutterrage:


This was a brillant story Kudzu. Have as much ice cream as future you can tolerate :moustache:

Flurry Heart for president 2020. I'm sure she will leave her opponents frozen by her princessly nature.

Okay, so this story was quite good, interesting to see Flurry Heart growing into her power and position, as well as finding out what their generation of heroes are doing to save the world.

Only question I have now is, did Sunburst get to ask? Did Starlight say yes? Inquiring minds want to know!

8050765

I'm laughing too hard to type! :rainbowlaugh:

What a shitty story. :moustache:

Hm right so Cadance was pregnant with another alicorn filly.
Do we have any more info on her? She should be something like four or five at this time right?

I didn't think it was possible to make me like Flurry Heart, that eldritch spawn forcing us to deal with 'baby episodes'. But here we are.

8389315
I am and I'm like, "Holy crap that's a lot!"

Threw a pebble... So Olive is basically like David right now? That's cool.
I'm guessing the whole reason for a division of teams is a clash of egos. Flurry with Pebble and/or Olive. Kinda surprise Sumac would split with Pebble, though. Besides, the Bashers seemed terribly unbalanced as a team with two tanks and no support.

8520445
No, threw a Pebble. :trollestia:

Delightful story in every way! Also filled with great reveals, like how Sumac was healed from Belladonna's little attack. Its wonderful to see this little generation of heroes grow up together!

9051302
I hear about Belladonna's attack over and over again, what book is it from? I'm reading every book in order from the timeline but I'm still missing things somehow
'

9094502
I'll be writing it soon.

Ok. I like it.

Still, I need a cast list. I need to know who the hell all of these new ponies are. Like, who is Boomer? Sumac? Is one of them a fucking Manticore!? I don't entirely know who's who.

Login or register to comment