• Published 22nd Dec 2016
  • 2,571 Views, 33 Comments

Farewell, Spoiled Rich - deadpansnarker



On her deathbed, dying of an unrevealed illness, Spoiled Rich shares her last moments on Equestria with her now older daughter. That's about it... Handkerchiefs are entirely optional, but recommended.

  • ...
2
 33
 2,571

Goodbye, Mother.

A small gust of wind blew the curtains of the dimly lit mansion room where she lie dormant. A fashionable blue dress, long since exchanged for pale hospital robes, hung from a chair, a stagnant reminder of better days. The intermittent beeps from a nearby privately-owned life support machine could be heard, representative of the wealth of the bed's occupant. Aside from the hollow, mechanised beeps of the soul-preserving device, the atmosphere was silent, funereal even.

It had been this way for a while now, as even the most elite of the medical profession had told the stricken mare's family that there was nothing else that could be done. Death comes to us all, it doesn't discriminate by the size of the wallet or how lofty the reputation. All you can do is wait for the inevitable, and hope that when your time arrives, you've had ample chance to make peace with those you wronged or wronged you during the living years, and said goodbye to the ones you love and cherish the most.

Somepony was about to get that opportunity. Spoiled Rich may have been as weak as a newborn kitten, and barely even able to turn her head on the pillow, but even she couldn't fail to recognise the telltale clip-clops of her all grown-up now daughter, as the pink mare softly made her way over to her dying mother's side. Despite their often fractious relationship, it had been progressively difficult for Diamond Tiara to witness her female parent's gradual decline over the months that led up to this: her final moments on Equestria.

A once proud, independent lady, now reduced to having her soiled sheets changed and given bed-baths by the regular servants she'd always looked down on and despised when she was still a sprightly young thing. The fact that none of the attentive staff had ever held a grudge and carried out their thankless tasks with creditable professionalism, perhaps said a lot more about their strength of character than Spoiled's bitterness, but that was up to the individual to decide. They were still getting paid, after all.

Hearing her mother cough hoarsely on her approach, Diamond wordlessly reached for the ever present bottle of water on top of the nearby bedside table. Inserting it directly into the patient's mouth and squeezing the plastic so the fluid could gradually work it's way down her esophagus, the whole procedure was akin to feeding a little foal milk. Such indignity had long since ceased to trouble Spoiled though, as lately she'd even forgotten what day it was, and even her own name. Some equines of a nastier disposition might call it karma, but those among that number did not include her daughter, who'd moved past such petty feelings of vengeance a long time ago.

Maybe it was the bleak sight of Spoiled looking so weak and emaciated that did it, as first the patient began to refuse any solid food, then even feeding her via drip became an ordeal in itself. Maybe it was when Diamond became a virtual stranger to her own mother, as the terrified older mare shrieked like a banshee and even almost jumped out the window at her very presence, before being restrained with a sleep inducing injection.

Or perhaps, it was just simply that the younger pony was a better animal than her formerly hateful, twisted female parent could ever be, having been saved from her own self-destructive path by a trio of determined fillies when she was still just an elementary student, and with their invaluable assistance learned all about the hitherto unheard benefits of love, friendship and self-sacrifice. Rare commodities that she'd certainly never been taught at home by either her often absent father, or the almost comatose mare half-choking in front of her. She was so grateful to the now world-renowned Cutie Mark Crusaders for setting her straight, they'd all be maids of honour at her upcoming marriage to one Pipsqueak esq, with her longtime bestie Silver Spoon being the pony to lead the procession of bridesmaids, obviously.

Spoiled would, of course, never make to the special day, and would have probably turned down the invitation in any circumstances. Not only had she thought the very idea that the fruit of her loins could tarnish the family name by marrying a spotted commoner was 'disgraceful', she'd also been horrified by the notion that the ceremony itself would be carried out in an inconsequential local registry office, instead of in the grandest cathedral in Canterlot. "You'll never get in the society pages there..." she'd huffed when the announcement had first been made a year ago, as if the loving couple cared about anything more than their upcoming nuptials going off without a hitch, along with the subsequent honeymoon in Trottingham.

In other words, she'd been completely isolated in her heedless vitriol, with even father beginning to tire of her constant demands and negativity. Yet, even when things got so unbearable he was forced to lock himself in the office and bang his head repeatedly on the desk late at night, he still persevered. Out of some masochistic sense of loyalty, or some misguided zeal that he could change her ways, nopony would ever know. Still, the option to leave her now had been taken out of his hooves permanently, and whatever happened in his future would not involve his current wife. There were unsubstantiated rumours circulating in the press that he and Rarity have been caught on a few secret late night rendezvouses, but nothing had been confirmed yet. Perhaps something would be announced at a more opportune time, after a respectable grieving period had elapsed.

Regardless, Filthy had already said his final farewells to his ailing wife, and had departed the cold, sterile room in tears. He can stare down the most fierce of competitors in a boardroom, but when it comes to seeing his life partner slipping away, he just couldn't handle it. Go figure... Diamond Tiara thought, as she gently mopped her mother's brow with a warm flannel. The older mare's eyelids were beginning to flicker, and the readings on the machine were beginning to fluctuate between mild and faint. It's now or never... she realised in a moment of epiphany.

Taking Spoiled Rich's flaccid hoof in her own, and drawing her muzzle closer to the stricken pony's ear, Diamond Tiara relayed what were surely to be the final words her female parent would ever hear in this world. "M-mother, I know we've had our differences, and you haven't exactly approved of many of the lifestyle choices I've made since I was a filly, but I want you to know two things. First of all, I forgive you. Putting up with your impossible expectations of me has turned me into the strong-minded, independent mare I am today. Even if that was entirely unintentional on your side, I thank you for that."

"The second, and I mean this from the very bottom of my heart, is that I still love you dearly. We were never close as a mother and daughter, and that is something I truly regret. But there were tiny moments, even when you were trying to be as aloof and difficult as possible, when I caught you looking at me. Sometimes, with a hint of pride, other times, with a joyful half-smile at what you'd helped create. Of course, you soon covered up your actions with a curt remark or a petulant humph, but I know what you were thinking, and I was truly moved. Those'll be the occasions I cherish the most. And of course, there is always this..."

She elevated a piece of jewelry tied securely around her neck, a silver tiara attached to a long golden chain. "Do you remember when you gave me this, the day I received my cutie mark? I was so happy, I ran around the entire mansion, knocking over all the servants in my jubilation, including Randolph, who I still dearly miss. Say hello to him for me if you see him up there for me, will you? Anyway, you might have lectured me at the time to stop 'rushing around like a blind pegasus' and told me a lady does not behave in such a 'rough manner', but even as a child I couldn't fail to spot the goofy grin you hid under your mudpack at me finally discovering my true talent. When you had this tiara especially made afterwards, it became my greatest gift ever, and I never took it off for years. Nope, not even while washing my mane. I can't tell you how hard that is, but I managed somehow. In fact, the only reason I removed it later is because alas, it was becoming way too small for my growing head, and cutting off the circulation to my brain. Which, when you're trying to work your way through business school, is a little inconvenient..."

Realising she was getting a bit off-track and rapidly running out of time, Diamond decided to get to the point. "Anyway, do you like what I've done with it? I had a little hole put through both sides of the crown to insert a golden cord, and now it's become a necklace! I shall be wearing it on my wedding day, in your honour. Even though you won't be there in pony, I know you'll be present in spirit, and this necklace shall be testament to that. I'll even leave a seat free at the main table with your name tag on it... won't that be nice, mother? Later, we'll tell our children only the best things about their late granny, and make sure we raise them in the right manner. Please look down on us from time to time and protect us mother, and in return I'll be sure to keep your memory alive. I-I l-love y-you M-Mum, I-I k-know I-I n-never s-said t-that e-enough, b-but..."

BBEEEEPP!!

That was it. Flatline. Spoiled Rich's final seconds on the planet, heralded by a non-stop cacophony of noise. Diamond sat deep in thought for a moment, before prising her hoof from her mother's own lifeless one, and slowly made her way outside, glancing around briefly for one last look, before closing the door behind her.

.................................................................................................................................

A clearly emotional Filthy Rich waited for her reappearance. "I-Is s-she...?"

Diamond Tiara only nodded gently in response. Her mind, for now, still seemed to be elsewhere.

"Listen, sweetheart..." Filthy attempted to comfort his daughter. "She's in a better place, believe me. She wouldn't want either of us to be sad, either... so if you ever need anypony to talk to, I'll be right here for you..."

"I-I spoke to her, before her spirit flew far away..." Diamond Tiara finally replied, a glazed apparent expression in her eyes.

Filthy looked at the pink mare wistfully upon hearing this, and lovingly stroked her mane. "Darling, so did I, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that she understood anything. The illness spread to her brain a while ago, so it's questionable how much she even heard..."

"I reached her..." At this point Diamond Tiara turned to face her father with a sombre smile on her face, and a single teardrop running down her cheek.

Filthy looked down at her puzzlingly, before asking in confusion. "Whatever do you mean, dear?"

"The last thing she did... was squeeze my hoof..."

Author's Note:

In between non-stop plays of various Christmas related songs on the radio, I happened to hear 'One Sweet Day" by Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men, and that formed the main inspiration behind this fic.

Hope you enjoyed... and again, happy holidays.

Comments ( 31 )

I hate you. This made me feel bad for Spoiled...WHY?!?!?!

Curse you deadpansnarker! Curse you!!!

Good little one-shot either way.

7811310 Well, I figured I'd been giving her a bit of a raw deal of late, so this is my attempt to redress the balance. Glad you liked the fic... :twilightsmile:

7811321 I prefer when you take huge dumps on Spoiled.

7811332 Nah, everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves, even Spoiled. Or perhaps I'm just feeling extra generous this time of year.

Either way, it was nice to write her in a mildly sympathetic light for a change. I may even do it again, if the fic demands... :raritywink:

7811340 Eh, I still prefer when you make her look horrible. Oh well...

My feels just died reading this.....:fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry::fluttercry:

I dobn't feel anything, Spoiled Dead and rotting in the bowels of Tatarus, she anin't going where Randolph is.
a bad parent is the worst thing to have, still Daimond showed real character when she forgave her.

so good story.

7811379 I like to think every mother loves their child in their own way, even if it in in a misguided fashion as Spoiled's affections clearly were.

Especially in the optimistic world of MLP: remember, it wasn't so long ago people were saying the same things about Diamond Tiara after she picked on Scootaloo. Now, it's hard to find anyone who has a bad word to say against her.

Perhaps the makers of the show will follow a similar route with Spoiled... only time will tell... :raritywink:

7811393
I can only hope. But i won't hold my breath.

7811393

I actually hope they don't. The only reason Diamond's reformation worked at all is because we were able to blame all the horrible things she's done on Spoiled, since Diamond was, herself, a victim of Spoiled and essentially a sock puppet for her evil mother. Also because they don't go into the fact that the CMC would have some very hefty psychological damage from everything they've endured at DT and Spoon's antics, the kind that flies under the radar but damages personalities and growth potential, changing who they otherwise would have grown up to be.

Tiara, also, would realistically (fanfic-mode/real world-mode) be suffering from severe mentally and emotionally crippling issues due to Spoiled's blithering incompetence and vicarious living through Tiara, allowing her own hatreds to spill forth and corrupt and hurt her family due to her own selfishness and stunted world-view.

Having an antagonist BE an antagonist and not just sweeping all that under the rug, for once, would be something I really want to see. You don't have to be a dark god to destroy lives, and it'd be nice to see them handled as a bad guy rather than just 'someone who needs to learn friendship'. Spoiled is the quintessential abusive parent. Having her being treated as the abuser she is - or even trying to reform her and failing because she's just that deeply twisted and stubborn would be welcome from the show. Granted, they'd never do that, but that's what we have fanfics and psychoanalytical anal psychos like me for.

7811587 I point you to my answer 'maybe I'm feeling extra generous this year'. I have a great Christmas to look forward to, some New Years resolutions I finally intend to enact in full... I just don't have the heart to write anything negative at the moment.

Realistically, you're probably right, but if you can't think positively around Christmas, even about somepony as obviously as loathsome on the surface as Spoiled Rich, then when can you? I'll give her a break... till the end of the year, at least... ;)

7811595

heh, nopony can be 100% evil/negative right? I like the fic and good to see you see you again deadpansnarker. Have a Merry Christmas follow. :twilightsheepish:

7811587 Spoiled didn't reform in the end. To the last even when she got sick she still was full of herself. However said she still valued her daughter; For all the wrong reasons, mind. And even if she and Diamond had issues to put it mildly, she was still her mother, and parents can mess up there offspring like nothing else. After all, children are mostly hardwired to want their parents to think highly off them.

7811595

Oh, no. It's perfectly fine for you and your stories. I'm just giving my thoughts on the canon Spoiled and hoping they don't reform her.

... I kind of like having someone to hate eternally? :trixieshiftright:

I don't know how you did it, but you actually made me feel sorry for Spoiled. If it were me in Diamond Tiara's position, I don't think I'd be at all willing to go back and do much besides say goodbye.

7811912 Something tells me you won't be the one employed in engraving her tombstone... :raritywink:

7811880 Everyone needs a nemesis. Superman, Batman, me...
What? Oh, just some dude who lives nearby, who puts his garbage in my bin every Sunday morning. I got my eye on you, mister... :trixieshiftleft:

7811731 My present to you... a follow in return. And you didn't even have to unwrap it... which is just as well, considering how terrible I am at that ... :twilightsmile:

You have very eloquently captured every aspect of the bittersweetness of this moment. A lovely read.

By the by, the word "virile" has strong connotations of "manly" so you may consider picking a different word for youthful vigor.

7811912
There IS good in her, don't you see?

"You were right, Diamond. Tell your father... you were riiiiight"

7811890 Well, that was my intent. I'm glad at least some people seem to have thought I achieved my set goal. :scootangel:

BTW I want to wish you especially a Merry Christmas... if it wasn't for your deployment of me as editor for some of your fics, I don't think my output right now would be as much as it is. Doing that also helped me through some very tough days this year, so I really appreciate that. Thank you. :raritystarry:

Alright, enough of the sap. Roll on 2017!! :twistnerd:

7811966 Who am I to turn down the recommendation of such a studious changeling? 'Sprightly' it is, then. :moustache:

I liked it. I liked it a lot. It reminded me of my own Grandma's passing. She was a much better person then spoiled rich...but still...I liked your story. Nobody's 100% awful, after all. Kudos!

"The last thing she did... was squeeze my hoof..."

ouch:fluttershysad: :pinkiesad2:

My only complaint is the handkerchief part in the description; it would fit far better in an author's note or something. Other than that, great story!

Death is the ultimate equalizer, it seems. And some ways of going out are even worse than others.

Don't know if Spoiled Rich deserved to pass like this, though.

7812415 Who does?
Well, I can think of a few people, although I don't know them personally... :moustache:

The laws of nature judged her.

I liked this, sad as it is. A good chance at forgiveness on both sides is great

Still sad she died, though :fluttershyouch:

Nah, everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves, even Spoiled

:pinkiehappy:

be carried out in an inconsequential local registry office, instead of in the grandest cathedral in Canterlot.

That part feels like a disservice to themselves more than anything, you should make the most important day of you life as special as possible.

That being said, this was an emotional piece, with some darkly realistic undertones. And the final bit at the end, was interesting to say the least.

And yeah... that horrible time when what month it is, what say it is... all begins to go. Dammit. :-(

very emotional l fic here

Login or register to comment