• Published 20th May 2016
  • 5,809 Views, 72 Comments

Homemade Kites and Whatnot - getmeouttahere

  • ...
5
 72
 5,809

Epilogue

“I got one! I got one!” the filly shouts, suddenly breaking the silence that had settled over the lake. She stands to her hooves, rocking the boat back and forth a little too much for your liking, before spinning around and whipping the line from the water. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a clean hit, and the hook comes undone, sending the poor fish on the end of it flying through the air to land in the lake’s opposite end with a splash.

“Whoops…”

Her older sister chuckles, careful not to disturb her own tail still resting over the side of the boat. “Ya gotta ease off a little more, Apple Bloom. There ain’t no need ta put everything ya have inta it unless you’ve hooked a big one.”

“But that felt like a big one for sure!” Apple Bloom protests. “I don’t get it… I mean, how are you supposed to know what kinda fish it is if you can’t even see it?”

Applejack closes her eyes and hums, then answers, “Well, I suppose it’s somethin’ ya just have ta learn from experience. The more fishin’ ya do, the easier it’ll be ta figure out how big a fish you’ve got by the amount of pull on your tail.”

The smaller pony grumbles and looks to you for sympathy. You simply shrug your shoulders, considering tail fishing isn’t exactly your area of expertise. Still, you try to help in the ways you’re able, and you carefully re-bait the end of her line so she can cast it into the lake once more.

It turned out that your kite fishing setup didn’t do much to improve your fishing. The final kite you made flew well enough, but despite all your efforts, the fish in the lake didn’t seem to care all that much. It’s since been retired from its primary duty and entrusted to the care of a fellow amateur kite enthusiast. She visits often, sometimes in the company of her friends, and on particularly windy days she can’t seem to resist taking it for a flight in the field. It truly has been left in good hooves, and you suppose in the end that’s all you can really ask for.

About a month has passed since that surprising first week of spring. Since then, just like you promised, you’ve been spending much more time with Apples, be it at their farm, or by welcoming them into your home. Slowly, and much to her delight, you’ve been teaching Apple Bloom about things you actually know how to do, though getting into the model rockets is still probably a ways off. As talented and as quick a learner as she is, you’re not sure if you’re ready to trust her around explosives just yet. That aside, the days have undeniably been full of joy and laughter, and slowly but surely, your heart has come to recognize that you’ve been drawn into a family that you dearly love.

The short fishing lesson ends not much later, and you row the boat back to the little dock and tie it to the pilings. Apple Bloom leaps out and bids you farewell, with a great big hug for you both, before running into town to find her friends. The pretty farmpony by your side retrieves the picnic basket she stored under her seat earlier in the day, and together the two of you rest under one of the weeping willows that grows near Ponyville Lake, enjoying a quiet lunch in the company of the birds and the warm breeze that weaves through the leaves. When the meal is finished, the supplies are packed away, and she curls up close by your side, eyes closed, attentive ears perked, and wearing that simple smile that never fails to captivate you.

As you pull the red-covered journal from your coat pocket, you catch a glimpse of a kite flying in the distance, and you watch it for just a little while, idly wondering what memories it holds, or if they’re being forged at this very moment, somewhere beyond your sight...

Letting those thoughts drift away, you turn your attention back to the journal in your hands. And after moving the torn piece of ribbon used as a bookmark safely aside, you continue on.

Comments ( 43 )

>New completed GMOH story
>High pitched screaming

YES.

Sudden 40,000 words out of nowhere, holy shit.

HOLY SHIIIITTTTTTTT

TGM

damnit dude, all of this talk of you leaving and you're still making stories...

I mean I'm happy that we still get stories from you but quit keeping me on the fence in this unsure state of uncertainty, IT'S TEARING ME APARRRTTT :raritydespair:

7233204
Some say that ghosts hang around because they have lingering regrets. For me, my lingering regret was that this story, which was fully planned out over 2 years ago, never got written.

Well, here it is. And now I'm finally at peace. :yay: No need to wonder, this is my last little story. It was a long time coming, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

This, this is too bittersweet, y'know? The fact that this is also your last story just brings it home.

There's this feeling of melancholy that somehow pervades this story, not that it's a bad thing. In fact, I think that was just what this tale needed to make it so memorable for me. That, and the little bits of symbolism I keep seeing that further cements the mood of the story.

And yet, I don't feel sad about it all. Your stories usually end on the same mold; done in a way that warrants no loose threads but open enough to let the reader think freely on their "ever after", to make it seem that their adventures haven't truly ended but it's up to us to figure out where'd they would go next.

It's the same as this one, only this time it not only feels as your last hurrah but your Anon's as well. But it doesn't seem that way for me at least. It feels like your take on his tale has ended here, and it's all on us to continue his story all based solely on our own imagination.


I think that's the best parting gift you could ever give to us as the readers. Thank you.

i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss350/maskedfangirl/calvin-and-hobbes-lets-go-exploring.jpg

Wait. Last story! Nooooooooooooo!!!!!:raritydespair:

I was just going to leave on long fuck here but..
This was really really fucking bittersweet. Cant help but tear up especially the last two chapters, yet still get warm fuzzies by the whole thing.
Love your work. Love this story.

Hmmhmm... Yes... even a story that was supposed to be done two years ago, and only just came out. It's really great, the story is fantastic and the ending leaves you able to imagine. To me it seems like Anon fell for AJ... and in a way they're slowly building a romantic relationship. And will continue to do so in the future. Once more you wrote a good second person story man. I love it.

That was absolutely delightful, and I spent more time smiling than not.

See, this is how to use melancholy. Bittersweet but so, so right. Well done. :ajsmug:

Comment posted by 593322 deleted May 21st, 2016

7233436
To hear that your intent was successfully conveyed to the reader is probably the best compliment a writer can get. (That C&H comic nails it, and to see it posted here put a smile on my face.) Thanks, man.

7234644
And thank you, random guy whose offhand comment on the original story resulted in this one being written. Hope it was worth the wait!

Short, but fun. This had something very relaxing about it, like one of those slow summer afternoons when you've got nothing to do but lay around and have a barbecue. It's a weird feeling to get from a story here, I'll tell you that much. It was weirdly nostalgic.

I have to say, that's one unhappy looking kite, though.

Well done my friend. I love it.
There is a sense of peace in this story that you can't really find in a lot of places.

7235613
:pinkiesmile: It was left intentionally ambiguous so that the reader could decide. He could indeed be either the father or the son in that story.

Great story, sad to know that it's your last.

Many writers have noted that 2nd person stories are the hardest to tell, given the innate limitations on descriptive terminology and narrative viewpoint resulting from every act being told to the reader by a narrator who's only interested in what the reader, the 'you', is experiencing.

Few writers can prove flexible enough to maintain a living, dynamic story for very long using this approach.

But you've managed to accomplish it. Quite well, I might add.

And remember, this is coming from the most unsympathetic and merciless critic on the site.

This is it. GMOH's going away present, the last story we can expect to enjoy from his consummately talented hands. It's just as bittersweet as I was expecting.

As sad as I am that it's ended, I could scarcely be happier with how it ended. It's a great relief to me to hear that you took enjoyment in writing this final story; I think it would sully the idea of a going away present if it were any other way. And I am glad that it ends here, if that's how it must be. I'd much rather remember you by the few ludicrously good stories you've written so far than have you stick around, toiling without passion or inspiration to appease a misplaced sense of duty.

That said, you'll be missed dearly. Your writing has brought me a level of enjoyment and solidarity almost unmatched in my own life. One need only glance briefly at the comments on your works or ask around for people's opinions to see how nigh-unanimously this consensus is held among others familiar with your work. One can only guess at the impact your words have had during their brief time spent with everyone who's read them. Knowing definitively that we've seen the last of them is not unlike bidding farewell to an old friend. It hurts, but it wouldn't do to focus on that and undermine the good memories.

So, though it's been said many times and many times more eloquently, thank you for everything, gmoh. I could never forget it, nor put to words just how much it means to me. You strike me as the type to always try to be upbeat, so I'll just offer my hope that you remain positive and always find the best in life.

Cheers, and best of luck to you in the future!

7236604
What a wonderful send-off! Thank you so much. It never fails to amaze me how deeply some people have enjoyed these stories. It's funny to think that something I started doing because I was bored ended up being so beloved. As our Anon in this story says, life is certainly full of surprises, and I look forward to what comes next.

>new story by GMOH

:heart::heart::heart:

>last story by GMOH

:raritydespair::raritydespair::raritydespair:

It reminds me a bit of the 'Streets of Whiterun' song, strangely enough. For some reason, it's always made me feel a weird mixture of melancholy and satisfaction.

There's nothing I can say about this story that hasn't already been said by people way more eloquent than me so this comment is more gonna be about your stories as a whole. I started reading your stuff years ago because I was looking for more quality fanfiction and your stuff came highly recommended. I ended up reading everything you wrote because it was fantastic fiction regardless of subject matter. It sucks to see you go but I can't think of a better goodbye than this. Thanks for all the stories. They really meant a lot to a lot of people and that's something I hope you take pride in.

7277123
Thanks! I'm always glad to hear that my little library of horsewords brought some enjoyment to someone.

Always a welcomed sight and wow it's been that long!? Time sure does fly don't it. Better ready my feelings and other things cos I'm ready for another dose of good readin'! Miss ya man.

Not usually a huge fan of SoL... but as usual, you pulled it off to an astounding degree. I didn't get too much of the melancholy feeling others are describing, rather a feeling of warmth. Each and every character feels central to the plot, and the way they're written gives one an almost newfound appreciation for all of them. I genuinely laughed out loud at both Applebloom's antics and Anon's responses, and the way the story wraps up gives the reader a feeling of hope that goes beyond just the fic.

This is definitely one of those fics that makes an impact and will stand out for me for a long, long time... Thanks for writing, GMOH!

I utterly love this story.

7400021
I'm glad to hear it! The subject matter isn't the most exciting (no action, no drama) so it seems to have flown under most people's radars. But I think this is unquestionably the best thing I've ever written and it was definitely worth the effort to put together.

7400034 Yeah. I can say I was moved by it.

I especially loved the idea of Anon and AJ. Not just as an AJ fan but I liked how it wasn't about anything physical. It was purely companional, just being their for each other, and that's beautiful.

I'm sad to hear your done, I would almost love to hear a story where he bonds with Mac, a sorta bromance. But time will tell I suppose.

Very cute story. Only one suggestion: trim the fat a bit. You don't have to describe or elaborate on things that should be obvious to the audience. Biggest example of this was the description of how AJ was feeling after anon said the thing about letting them fly.

Aah, and some bait to feed my inner shipper for a finish. Faved, and wonderful job good sir.

7487063
I appreciate the in-depth comments! I'll be the first to admit that second person really isn't an ideal viewpoint to tell a story. It's actually deceptively difficult to write well. This story cheats a little in that it's only half in second person since the perspective shifts between 3 of the main characters throughout, but I figured that since I started my horse words writing "career" with a second person story, I'd want to end it on one too.

Glad you were able to get some enjoyment out of it!

Wow, I never thought I'd get so invested in a story about kites. But it really wasn't the kites, huh? It just goes to show that with enough time, care, and patience, you can really bring out the most out of a simple concept.

I wasn't in the best mood, but after this, I'm now in a much better mood now. I really enjoyed this. Thanks :heart:

That was a great story :raritywink:

Great stuff, this and the previous one-shot. I'm not really a fan of 2nd person, but as with any good story, the perspective isn't as important as the story's content.

Wraps up well, in a "Seems pretty likely it will go a certain way" sort of style. Could do with a sequel of course, but that's the thing about stories that are enjoyable and tie things up in open-ended ways. They have a conclusion, but are still free to explore more, if someone wanted to do so.

It would be interesting to see AJ and Anon try out a more romantic relationship, and Anon and Apple Bloom cement their parent-child connection.

I've finally gotten around to reading this story after having it in my Read Later section for so long. I regret not reading it sooner!

I find that at the end of each of your stories, I find myself compelled to create something similar. I'm afraid I lack the eloquence necessary. But that's now. I'll keep reading, and learning, and perhaps one day I'll create something that wrests emotion out of people as this story does.

Absolutely well done. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Definitely, a story that has earned its place in my Best of the Best bookshelf. The world needs more stories such as this.

ROBCakeran53
Moderator

9351917
Wait, you're not dead?

FIMFICITON HAS LIED TO ME.

Thank you for writing this really sweet and touching fic.

Gotta say this was a nice story

Thank you for writing this!

Login or register to comment