• Published 4th Mar 2016
  • 6,291 Views, 145 Comments

An Earthly Portal - Nightmare Darkness



A boy who is abused runs away only to find his destination although not unframiliar to him is the last place he thought he would be.

  • ...
15
 145
 6,291

Clean up and Construction

I stood there slack jawed looking at the newest edition to the town of Ponyville. By the time I pulled my eyes away from the crystal castle and surveyed the devastation Ponyville was going to be a in need of support and aid. Zecora stood beside me as she gave a sharp inhale as she also surveyed the broken buildings and burning rubble.

"The destruction that he has wrote, will need some elbow grease so says the famous quote." Zecora said with a smile as she looked at me.

"That's an understatement." I agreed as I turned towards the hospital again and found the security guards helping ponies onto cots that were now being laid out in rows, and when the cots ran out blankets were placed on the ground. Zecora turned to go back to assist the nurses and doctors.

"I'm going back out to look for other people that were hurt." I stated as I looked around and saw several families who were looking over wounded loved ones. I approached the guard who had the bullhorn.

"Can I barrow that?" I asked and he looked at me quizzically.

"Names Riot he said as he gave me the bull horn." he introduced.

"Feather Beak." I said before looking at the gathered families who were looking slightly happy at gaining their magic back but worried about their loved ones.

"Anypony who is willing to help look for other ponies who may not have been able to escape the devastation. I need volunteers to help look for other ponies in need in the town." I said and several of the stallions and mares who were looking after their mother, sister, brother or friends began to approach me after talking quietly to them and soon I had a good group standing before me.

"What do you need us to do?" A lead mare asked who looked at me expectantly. I lowered the bullhorn and gave it back to Riot.

"We need to put out the fires." I began and several pegasi stepped forward.

"We can get some clouds to rain heavily on the fires." A black Pegasus with a light teal mane said.

"Names Thunderlane." He said and I gave a nod.

"Work from the left side of the city to the right." I said and he nodded and soon the pegasi were in the sky.

"What about us?" The mare asked brining my attention back to her. Her light red coat and dark red mane with a rose cutiemark.

"Rosebud." she introduced suddenly and I nodded.

"Rosebud, take five other ponies and began to go house to house calling out for survivors." I ordered and she nodded picking five others before heading towards the town. I broke the rest into three more groups and I lead the last group into the town to look for survivors.


The day was long and the groups found survivors in houses damaged or trapped. Unfortunately, we also found casualties as well. The only pro about it was how little they were. In a town of I guessed of maybe a thousand ponies there was a total count of a small number were dead, and around four hundred wounded. Wounds ranged from cuts and bruises to severed burns and mangled limbs crushed under falling debris. Twilight and the mane six after investigating the castle quickly the six of them began to help how they could. After searching the entire town and being told the numbers and that the damage to the city was not as bad as one would think. Rosebud approached me and smiled weakly.

"We finally checked the outer houses, all we need to do now is clean up and reconstruction." She said expectantly.

"You think I should be in charge of that?" I asked as I slumped with my back to the hospital tent. The tents were quick to go up after the major battle and at least the wounded were covered.

"Feather Beak?" I heard my name called and looked behind Rosebud to see Twilight with Spike beside her flashing me a toothy grin. I stood back up and placed a claw on Rosebud's shoulder.

"Get some rest and water you did great." I said as she watched me for a moment.

"You too." She said before I stopped infront of Twilight and Spike.

"So what is that about?" I asked hooking my thumb at the castle. Twilight looked sheepish for a moment.

"I don't rightly know. But I am here to help, and I've heard that you have been leading the rescue and recovery efforts." She said regaining herself. I scratched my head uncomfortable with the fact people were talking.

"I just did what I could." I said simply as Twilight gave me a thorough look over.

"You have multiple burns, cuts and bruises. If I looked at you from a distance you would look like a mummy." She said and I looked down at myself. I didn't look that bad, sure my chest and arms were bandaged with Zecora's cooling green paste and thankfully my face was spared of any damage.

"What is the situation?" She then asked seeming to become more serious.

"You want to know what we have done?" I asked and she nodded to I began to walk towards the town and began my report of sorts.

"The local pegasi lead by Thunderlane used the clouds to put out fires but some of the fires are proving a bit too much for mere rain clouds but they are doing their best. Rosebud, Soot Foot, Green Lime, Straight Sight, and myself lead teams into the town to look for survivors. We found something like over twenty five survivors trapped in houses as for the dead..." I said with a pause and Twilights throat seem to gulp as I paused.

"Seventeen." I said and Twilights eyes became glassy as Spike placed a comforting claw on Twilight's foreleg.

"Rosebud has just informed me that the damage to the town is less extensive than what one would think from a disaster such as this." I said giving her a reassuring smile.

"Seventeen dead." She said again quietly but not quiet enough for me not to hear.

"You better not think something stupid like 'if I did something sooner maybe they would be alive.' kind of thing" I stated and she looked at me suddenly and I knew then that's exactly what she was thinking. I lifted a bandaged arm and hooked her neck pulling her into me as I put her into a headlock and she began to struggle.

"Let me go Feather!" She began before I chuckled.

"They are going to need your brain Twilight. Don't spend a moment thinking you failed. If you do Ill do put you in a head lock like this and then give you a nuggy." I threatened playfully and she stopped.

"Whats a nuggy?" She asked and I balanced myself on my back hind legs and closed my other claw and began to rub her head rigorously and then she began to cry out and struggle even more before I let her go quickly. Twilight looked at me with daggers in her eyes. I lifted my claws up in submission.

"You get me though right?" I asked and suddenly her eyes softened and she rubbed her head and fixed her mane.

"I get it." She relented.

"Awesome, cause I'm handing over all support and aid to you 'princess' We are going to need someone with mad organizational skills to concentrate the efforts of everypony to rebuild Ponyville. Are you up to the task?" I asked and she smiled.

"Spike take a note." She said and like magic Spike had a scroll and quill in claw.


The next week was a blur of activity. I took up my job as a carpenter with Sand Paper who was swamped with work and thank whatever gods that the carpentry shop was spared from the attack. Gilda asked if she could help and I agreed to the grumbling of Sand Paper but who needed the extra hands to deal with the work load. The second day Celestia and Luna arrived with aid of food and medical supplies for the waiting homeless. Those who still had standing homes took in as many as they could. After everything many still came to me asking what they could do. I don't know why, Twilight was leading the recovery effort after I passed the torch. Houses went up quickly as Apple family from near and far came to help with the effort and they made short work of building houses. Applejack was in charge of construction and worked closely with me ordering specific lengths of wood. Rarity worked tirelessly creating blankets and tents for those who didn't have a shelter. Fluttershy I met for the first real time as she helped Zecora and the nurses tend to the wounded which dwindled in number daily. Pinkie was in charge of handing out food and keeping the fillies and colts happy and entertained while most of the adults worked on reconstruction. Rainbow helped out with construction but mainly helped Twilight with getting messages to and from work-sites giving an up to date picture of the overall efforts of the rebuilding. On the last day my burns were nearly healed as my feathers were beginning to mend as Applejack approached me. I stopped debarking a log and gave her my attention.

"Feather, How goes it?" She asked and I waved my claw.

"I think if I strip anymore trees that I will be cursed by the spirits of the woods." I said casually as she gave a chuckle.

"The last house is almost finished." She announced and I gave a smile.

"No way really? That's quick." I stated and she gave me a smile.

"Never underestimate ponies working together." She said with a smile. Gilda then approached me from behind and placed two finished boards on stack meant for the builders to pick up.

"So I don't need to keep sanding these boards?" She said ruefully and I smiled and she gave me a look at my chest and then my face that looked almost...predatory.

"No get back to sandin!" Sand Paper called out from the back and Gilda growled lowly but I grabbed her wrist and she stopped as she looked at me and I stole a kiss to her cheek. She looked at me and flushed red as she punched me lightly and I smiled. I looked back at Applejack who gave me a smug smile.

"Looks like ya found a keeper." She said with a smile.

"Well I didn't expect to find someone I can like but the last week working together so closely I cant deny my feelings anymore...shes still stubborn about it though." I said with a wry smile as I picked up the de-barker.

"Would ya stop workin for a tick? Come with me would ya?" She said and looked to the back of the shop.

"Sand you cumin?" She called and a curse followed by a bang was heard and he walked out with a bundle cloth in a saddlebag.

"Gilda stop sandin were takin a break!" He called out and Gilda appeared looking frustrated. I put down the de-barker and walked beside Gilda who was grumbling about the old coot not knowing what he wants. Applejack walked ahead of us and I was only a little concerned at what they whatever Applejack wanted to show me and it seemed my boss was in on it. Well I didn't have to wait long till we rounded a corner and a large crowd erupted into cheers in front of a two story home that had a balcony on the second floor and a pleasant looking rustic look. I stood stricken and confused. Twilight and Spike walked forward and she gave a smile as the crowd settled down some.

"Feather Beak, you have done so much for everypony and because of this we want to give back. Welcome home." She said stepping aside and gesturing to the newly build house. My mouth opened, I was speechless.

"I...I" I began but I fumbled for the words and Pinkie was suddenly beside me.

"I think its time fore a House warming party!" she proclaimed as the crowd cheered.

Comments ( 8 )

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!! great chapter... now i need to reread this story to refresh some details

"Well I didn't expect to find someone I can like but the last week working together so closely I cant deny my feelings anymore...shes still stubborn about it though." I said with a wry smile as I picked up the de-barker.

I wanted them as a shipping yes, but I don't remember enough of the story to say if I like it that they are like this at this point in the story, or more how he seems to have developed his feelings now.

I like that he got his own home now, I think this might be a story where he was treated like a child in the beginning, but like I said I don't remember enough, only that he got a job from Twilight in the beginning but i have that feeling.
I like to mix up some stories I had read sometimes however.

In the end a good chapter however, I noticed how much I liked seeing that update.

Update this was really good

Great story and I can't wait for the next chapter

Is it cancelled?

Oh man!
That’s a huge Breather right there.

Pleases update soon I really like this story

Login or register to comment