• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 11,350 Views, 242 Comments

The Enchanted Library: Sidestories - Monochromatic



Rarity enjoyed the simple pleasures of life. Drinking tea, fighting timberwolves, picnics with Fluttershy, meeting dragons and, most of all, spending time with an ancient alicorn spirit. She wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.

  • ...
24
 242
 11,350

Someone to Love ( Luna & Pinkie / set during Act II of TEK)

Author's Note:

I was reminded today that I entered a speedwriting contest in Feb with a Luna&Pinkie story, so since I never posted it, I figured I should!

So here it is!

Also when you’re done please look at the drawing I’m posting on a comment thank you


They sat by the edge of the lake, the stars reflected on the still-surface.

“I have something sad to say!”

Princess Luna looked to the pink mare seated beside her. She was smiling, which would be odd considering the statement she’d just made, but it was Pinkie.

And this was a dream.

“You have something sad to say?” the princess repeated, concern etched on her face. “What has made you sad, little one?”

“You did!” Pinkie exclaimed, again with that enthusiasm that contradicted her statement.

Luna’s ears perked up, instantly alarmed. “I have made you sad? It was not my intent. How?”

“I think you need to love somepony,” Pinkie continued. “But you don’t. And that makes me sad, because you’d be happier if you did.”

The princess relaxed and allowed herself a laugh. “I do not need to love anypony to be content. I have always been content by myself.”

Pinkie frowned. “Mmm. But you take care of ponies’ dreams! Why do you do that if you don’t love them?”

The princess faltered. “Ah. I do love all of the ponies in my kingdom, but that is a different kind of love.”

“That’s the one I was talking about, silly!”

“Then I do not need somepony to love.” The princess looked out towards the lake. “By your logic, I love everypony, little one.”

Pinkie jumped up, stamping her hoof on the ground. “Not the pony who matters the most! You don’t love her enough!”

The princess grinned. “Who? You?”

“No,” Pinkie replied, and she sat back down, staring at her frowning reflection in the water. “You. You don’t love you.”

A lump caught in the princess’ throat. This was not how her dream was supposed to go. It was she that was supposed to dispense harsh truths on others, not the opposite.

And yet.

Pinkie disappeared, because she wasn’t there.

The lake disappeared, because it wasn’t there.

And the lonely little princess remained, because she was there. She was there, shaken, left all alone with the only pony she struggled to love.

A door appeared in the distance, bearing a familiar design of three balloons put together. She stood up and walked towards it, her horn alighting with magic and opening the door. She stepped through it and into a bakery, where a familiar pink mare busied herself baking cakes of impossible designs.

“Little one.”

The princess’s own voice felt alien to her, still caught in her own emotions.

Pinkie—the real one, as real as she could be in dreams—looked up, delighted. She dropped her spatula and her batter then rushed over to the alicorn.

“Princess Luna! You’re here!” She skidded to a halt and looked aghast. “You’re sad!” She stood up, making the motion of rolling up a sleeve. “Who made you sad?! I’ll throw a pie in their face! But one that tastes good so it’s not too mean. Maybe a banana-cherry pie.”

“I did. I made myself sad.”

Pinkie’s horror intensified. “You did?! Why would you do that?!” She fell onto her haunches, pressed her hooves against her cheek and whispered: “Oh no. I don’t want to hafta fight you.” She looked back up. “What did you do?”

“I realized I needed to find somepony to love. It would make me most happy if I did.”

“Oh! That’s true! I found somepony to love, and I’m happy!” She giggled. “Do you want to know who?”

The princess grinned. “Is it me?”

“It’s yo—! Oh. You guessed. Hey!” She pouted. “I was gonna say that. But it’s true! I do love you!”

And if Pinkie loved such a mare, then maybe Luna could too.

Comments ( 15 )

IN RELATED NEWS

PLS LOOK AT THIS AMAZING DRAWING ISA DID BASED OFF THAT ONE SCENE IN CHAPTER 22

pbs.twimg.com/media/EZsKg2HWsAAR3dk?format=jpg&name=large

ISN’T IT GREAT

This is cute AF. Freddie would be proud :pinkiesad2:

10270279
AAAAAAA That pic is so good they love each so much!
Also this was really good and I remember thinking that the only reason it didn't dominate that contest was because of the context needed to appreciate it. Still hold that same opinion. This was such a nice TEK!LunaPie moment that felt very much on-brand for the series.

Oh, I saw the speedwrite version of this before! Still adorable. Best moment is Pinkie not wanting to fight Luna.

The drawing and the story are both beautiful, Mono!

My heart-

Your Pinkie Pie is too good for this world.

Hhnnrrgg my heart

So precious aaaa

Awwww thats so cute :pinkiehappy:

These got damn onion-cutting ninjas.... im not crying you are

This was just the kind of sweetness and charm that I needed.

AWwwww, that's adorable:pinkiehappy:

The original story is gone ! :

404 - Page Not Found

What the hell happened ?

Login or register to comment