• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 11,343 Views, 242 Comments

The Enchanted Library: Sidestories - Monochromatic



Rarity enjoyed the simple pleasures of life. Drinking tea, fighting timberwolves, picnics with Fluttershy, meeting dragons and, most of all, spending time with an ancient alicorn spirit. She wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.

  • ...
24
 242
 11,343

Before You Leave [Chapter 25 Prequel // Romance ficlet]

Before You Leave
by Monochromatic


"Is there any particular reason you're sitting there?"

Sitting atop one of the library's bookcases, Rarity fixed the alicorn opposite her with a stare, broken only by the fluttering of her eyelashes. Princess Twilight Sparkle blinked once, twice, thrice, looked down, and then back up.

"What do you mean?" she asked, as she usually did when failing to catch onto Rarity's implicit messages. "What's wrong with where I'm sitting?"

"Oh, there's nothing wrong with it, per se, but I simply wonder why you'd elect to sit there when you could sit here," Rarity replied, again fluttering her eyelashes as she patted the spot next to her.

Twilight smiled. "Why don't you come and sit next to me, then?" she asked, cheekily. "You should have no problem teleporting here. Or even jumping."

Rarity scoffed. "Jump? What do I look like to you?! I am a lady! You're the one who should be jumping to me!"

Twilight kept smiling. "I am a princess."

"Touché." Rarity sighed theatrically. "What does that make me, then? Your knight… knightess?"

"Dame."

"Your dame in shining armor!" Rarity finished, biting down a smile when Twilight giggled. She sat up straight and furrowed her brow. "How are you sitting there? You're a ghost. Shouldn't you..." She gestured vaguely with her hoof.

"I'm not actually sitting here. I'm levitating on top of it to create the proper illusion, or else..." Slowly, her body began to sink down into the bookcase until only her head was poking out. "I'd look like this."

Rarity hummed. "You know, of all the creepy things you've ever done, this might be the creepiest."

Twilight giggled again, teleporting herself next to Rarity. "Happy?"

"Very."

Silence fell between them for a brief moment.

"I don't want you to go."

Rarity turned to Twilight, finding the alicorn staring intently at a distant point in the library. Her ears were lowered, and she very briefly glanced at Rarity before looking away again.

"What do you mean?" Rarity asked. "I thought you were excited for us to go and meet Princess Denza."

Twilight's ears lowered down further. "I am! I am," she said forcefully, like she were trying to convince herself of the fact. "I'm just worried. I know I shouldn't be, because Denza wouldn't hurt you and the castle is the safest place in Equestria, but I…"

She drifted off.

Rarity sighed. "I… I have a confession as well."

Twilight looked up to her, alarmed eyes searching Rarity's expression for something wrong. "You do? What is it?"

Rarity looked at her, ears lowering slightly, eyes fluttering. "I'm going to miss youuuuu."

And then Twilight's worry faded away, replaced instead with an absolutely delighted smile as she rolled her eyes.

"See! You look so much nicer when you're smiling instead of being a silly pony," Rarity exclaimed, very pleased with her satisfactory results.

"I'm not a silly pony," Twilight weakly protested.

Rarity leaned in as close as she could, so much so their noses would be touching if they could, and despite the blush now decorating her cheeks, she asked in a sing-song voice, "Aren't you when it comes to me, though?"

Even though Twilight also sported a blush, she did not move back, and for a moment, Rarity wondered—or perhaps wished—Twilight would lean in, even if it would be a very bizarre if a bit unfulfilling kiss.

But, eventually, Twilight pulled away, looking back to her fixed point in the distance.

"Maybe I'm a little silly."

"Just a little?" Rarity asked.

Twilight glanced at her from the corner of her eye, smirking slightly. "Just a little." She looked away again and took a deep breath. "How long will you be gone?"

"Twilight, the number won't change no matter how many times you ask me," Rarity pointed out. "Five days isn't so bad, darling. Also, may I add that you've yet to say you'll miss me too, and frankly, I'm a bit hurt."

And now Twilight laughed.

"Now who's the silly pony?" she asked. "I thought you already knew that I would."

Author's Note:

THEY ALMOST KISSED AND UGH I JUST WANT TWILIGHT OUT OF THAT STUPID LIBRARY ALREADY just one more act, mono, one more act

A little something I wanted to post to set-up Act III a bit more, and also because I was having massive motivation issues with EL and the best remedy for this is to write these two being twitterpatted dorks.