• Published 10th Dec 2014
  • 2,518 Views, 15 Comments

To Touch The Stars - sunnypack



Relations between Equestria and Earth have opened up. Earth surprisingly offers a warm hand of friendship that is pleasantly reciprocated. As the two exchange science and magic, a dream is rekindled and a faith reaffirmed.

  • ...
0
 15
 2,518

2 - A Small Epilogue

Mike peered out into the void sprinkled with the lively glow of supermassive orbs of gas, gently fusing away. He felt a few conflicting emotions swirl within him and he decided that he didn't know what to feel about the situation. He scratched his beard, chuckling at the memory of seeing Twilight and Luna startled at his changed appearance. He didn't fault them, it had been a long, long time.

They were glad to see him, he had thought then. But they also seemed a little sad.

Mike had never achieved his dream to see Earth from space, but he was allowed a brief trip in Equestria's newest space-faring ship, 'the Event Horizon'. Twilight had confided in Mike that she had chosen the name, for it symbolised that when one entered the Event Horizon, there was no going back. As he looked to the planet below, he was suddenly struck by how beautiful it was. It wasn't Earth, and the topology was strange and alien, but it held a sublime beauty and grace that was on par with his beloved home planet. As night eclipsed the various cities on the small extraterrestrial world, he marvelled at how similar those lights looked, like a reflection of the night sky from a still pond.

The vision became blurred and he blinked back a few tears.

Luna trotted up to him from behind and gently lead him from the observation deck to a private chamber with a comfortable couch.

As he sat down with a grateful smile, Luna spoke to him in a voice barely above a whisper.

"A dream fulfilled, for a dream fulfilled."

Author's Note:

I've often heard the expression an eye for an eye, generally considered an expression associated with revenge and violence. It prompted me to write this small epilogue and I think I'm glad I left it here.

Comments ( 11 )

5367740
5367512
5366243

Thank you all, it really means a lot to me that the story is appreciated.

Nicely done. I'll be sure to give your other stories a look.

Sweet and adorable. I love it. Well done!

It was an amazing story

That cover art got me squealing in cute!

*sigh* It is so satisfying when I find a story with such a hopeful aire to it.

I'm not even really sure what to call it... Not adventure, because there are plenty of stories which don't convey the correct feel. Not speculative fiction or sci-fi, because they can both be bland or cynical... things like the end of chapter 1 of this and various moments in Arrow 18 which capture sort of a sense of professional optimism in our ability to peacefully strive for a better tomorrow.

Given that they're definitely correlated with sci-fi, I really should bite the bullet and get back into committing 6-hour blocks of time so I can get back to reading novels. I think this fandom is the only place I've ever managed to find this sort of thing on the fanfiction side of things.

On another note, this reminded me of a couple of verses from Lucifer by Don Simons and Leslie Fish. (Probably because I put so much thought into it when using it as an example recently)

Specifically, "A creature's sight should outrun its might, or what are the heavens for?" and "A creature's reach should exceed its grasp. What else is heaven or hell?"

D48

That was excellent. While the politics you mentioned seemed unreasonably optimistic to me, it was not important and fit well with the tone of the rest of the story which was a beautiful exploration of the power of cooperation and learning.

Hard to say if this...

This is a great story.

Login or register to comment