• Published 5th Nov 2014
  • 26,674 Views, 5,268 Comments

A little loopy. - FaelaArts



Sweetie Belle gets stuck in a time loop.

  • ...
111
 5,268
 26,674

PreviousChapters Next
L17

’Alright, skipping the attempt at Applejack’s course, I've done Zecora’s ‘being still’ class, and practicing the moves Rarity showed me. So that leaves casting the beginner spells again.’ Sweetie closed her eyes and concentrated, going through the spells. It wasn’t much progress, but now her horn was letting out a very thin trickle of water.

“Alright, time to head over to Twilight’s.” Sweetie turned, trotting downstairs. Pausing briefly at the kitchen, she held out the letter and waited as Rarity responded exactly the same as normal. After weathering the reactions, Sweetie motioned toward the door.

“I’ll be at Twilight’s if you need me.” Sweetie inwardly sighed as Rarity objected once more, and narrowed her eyes.

“Rarity, how is walking to Twilight’s any different from walking to school?” Sweetie waited, and finally Rarity begrudgingly agreed. Turning, Sweetie exited the house, and quickly apologised to Apple Bloom, before trotting away.

Darn, that way is actually slower than the other. I’m going to have to find the best way to get Rarity to let me go. Oh well, it can wait.’ Sweetie knew Twilight would have already left the house, but from the previous loop, she knew what direction she had been heading. Thankfully, Twilight was only about to turn the corner into a side street, so Sweetie was able to find her easily.

“Twilight, wait!” Sweetie caught up and waited as Twilight read the letter. Once more, her reactions were exactly the same as all previous loops. Sweetie wondered if there would be a way to at least make this quicker, but supposed there wasn’t.

“Can we head back to your castle Twilight? I need your help.” Sweetie’s ears flopped downward as she looked away. Sweetie hated to admit it, but she didn’t know everything. A lot of ideas spoke to her, but she was afraid to take a risk on the possibility they were bad. Following Twilight back to the castle, Sweetie handed Twilight’s notes off, and waited as Twilight slowly caught up with her old self.

“I was thinking, what if something that has magic but lives a very long time loops with me. Maybe the magic cuts off at 12:01, and that’s why it drains everypony before that. But I…” Sweetie trailed off, and Twilight nodded once in understanding, musing for a moment.

“What about a Phoenix? They technically don’t have an ‘old age’. When they get old, they simply burst into flames.” Twilight sat down, and motioned for Sweetie to do the same.

“But, why did Spike get a baby if they live forever?” Sweetie tilted her head, why would something that can live forever need to make babies in the form of eggs? Sweetie briefly wondered if she would ever see a pony egg, but discarded it. There were more important things to think about.

“Well, Phoenixes are hunted by Dragons. Teenagers break the eggs, and adults eat Phoenixes. With predators like that, they actually don’t live that long a life normally.” Twilight glanced toward a small photo of Spike and a baby Phoenix, and smiled sadly.

“Oh, I see. But where are we gonna get a Phoenix before the loop ends? It’s a long trip to their nests.” Sweetie put a hoof to her chin, musing.

“Oh that’s the easy part, Princess Celestia has a pet Phoenix named Philomena. If we inform her of the loop then she will probably lend Philomena to us.” Twilight smiled, and Sweetie nodded, pulling out the glowing letter and holding it out to Twilight.

Sure enough, the reply agreed to send Philomena down. However, Celestia could not send Philomena down via the mail, and would send a guard to drop her off tomorrow. Sweetie nodded, shrugging. As long as it was before Friday. Thankfully, Celestia had also given back the glowing letter, which Sweetie quickly put away.

“Alright, I’m gonna go to school now. See ya Twilight.” Sweetie stood up, waving goodbye to Twilight. Trotting out the door, Sweetie wondered if this had been a long enough time to get Diamond and Apple Bloom to become fast friends before her return.

Entering the classroom, Sweetie inwardly sighed as both were obviously not on friendly terms yet. Maybe it took a day, no matter. Sweetie would have to try it a different loop.


“Alright Philomena, you ready?” Sweetie saw the calm expression of the Phoenix sitting in a cage on the other side of the room. It was made out of metal, probably due to the fact Philomena was a fire bird, and had a door that was easy to open. Sweetie glanced toward her closed window and door, and nodded once. Turning, she watched the clock tick over.

11:59…

12:00

Instantly, Philomena burst into flames, and reformed in a blaze of fire. Sweetie looked away, rubbing afterimages from her eyes. Ears flicking, she heard the rapid sounds of two separate bursts of small flame. Sweetie scrunched her eyes, and forced herself to look over. Philomena seemed to not be in any pain, even as she rapidly resurrected.

The clock ticked over to 12:01, and Philomena stopped. Sweetie gasped, looking toward the clock. For some reason she felt light headed, and frowned as her mind went foggy. Was it just her, or was she having trouble breathing? It took her oxygen starved brain a moment to realise something important.

Fire eats oxygen, and this is an enclosed room.’ Sweetie turned and weakly raised an arm toward the window, trying to open it as she shuddered for breath. But all her strength left her, and she tried instead with her magic. Failing that, she collapsed onto the bed and looked toward the Philomena. Would the Phoenix figure it out?

No, Sweetie closed her eyes as she silently suffocated to death.

The loop reset, sending Sweetie back to her room. But she was already in her room, so it’s contents followed her though. Sweetie gasped awake, unable to breathe. Diving for the window she found herself still unable to open it.

Sweetie suffocated to death again.

Stuck in an eternal loop of death, Sweetie knew, in the brief moment she was lucid enough to think, that there was no escape. There was no way to talk, all oxygen gone from her the moment it reset. Quickly, she lost count of the loops.

Sweetie felt a tear escape her eye during one of those moments, seeing the Phoenix in the corner going through rapid rebirth as she died repeatedly. There was nothing she could do, she was stuck in a death loop.

The door to Sweetie’s room opened, and fresh air rushed into the room. Sweetie gasped for breath, launching into a coughing fit as she barely registered the window opening too. As the clock finally clicked over to 12:01 while fresh air was in the room, Sweetie collapsed in relief.

’I’m ok, I got out of the death loop. I feel so weak.’ Sweetie looked toward the door, watching as Opalescence left Rarity’s room and headed downstairs. Sweetie knew the cat slept in Rarity’s room, so it wasn’t out of the question that she made midnight trips to the kitchen. Slowly sitting up, Sweetie forced herself to calm down.

’The question is, how did I escape?

Author's Note:

Before you ask, yes Philomena eventually ran out of oxygen too and the fire would have stopped. Do you think Sweetie would have had the presence of mind to notice that?
Also, Sweetie's loop start's with her asleep. So she dies, is asleep, wakes up to find herself suffocating, and dies.
Also, I'm taking a day off.

PreviousChapters Next