• Published 5th Nov 2014
  • 26,673 Views, 5,268 Comments

A little loopy. - FaelaArts



Sweetie Belle gets stuck in a time loop.

  • ...
111
 5,268
 26,673

PreviousChapters Next
L21.2

“So you’re saying I’ll be like a cup, and there’s a hole in the side near the bottom. But because it’s not at the bottom I’ll always have a small bit of magic?” Sweetie tilted her head, it made sense. Twilight nodded, glancing to Celestia for confirmation.

“It would be too risky if you lost all your magic. Chances are extremely likely that would make the magic that is causing the loop to think you’re dead.” Celestia’s horn glowed yellow as she finished casting the final spells on the large room. They all knew what happened if the loop thought Sweetie was dead.

“Are you sure this is safe?” Sweetie bit her lip, feeling unsure about her decision, now that it was time to actually go through with it. What if it turned out badly? After all, Sweetie had drained a lot of magic from ponies due to her reset outside, surely that might be more than Celestia can handle?

“Do not worry. While I did not have the chance to take such measures when Twilight surged, there are many spells to reduce the damage it can do. One of these will funnel your magic into Luna, who has the highest tolerance for foreign magic. This way, once the surge is over, we can return what you lost, circumventing most of the problems Twilight had when she began to yearn for more complicated spells.” Celestia gently levitated Sweetie Belle’s bags off her back.

“Hey, what are you doing?” Sweetie held out a hoof in objection, and Celestia quickly brought up a new pair of saddlebags. These ones appeared smaller, and was made of a black material with pink lines going down it, the same color as Sweetie’s mane. Sweetie glanced inside, and gasped, it was nearly twice as big as her old saddlebags inside. But, how?

“During olden times, we often had to carry an army of paper with us. Saddlebags didn’t have enough room, even with how much we could carry. So we convinced Starswirl to invent a spell to help. So he made a spell to make the space inside saddlebags twice as large as the space outside, give or take a bit depending on the skill of the unicorn casting the spell.” Celestia paused, and put a hoof to her chin, glancing to Luna.

“Come to think of it, didn’t Starswirl say he had gotten the idea from a colleague of his who was in town for the week?” Celestia waited as Luna shrugged, and waved the issue away, returning her attention to carefully repacking Sweetie’s new bag. Sweetie smiled, this was great news! Not only would she now not have to carry such bulky saddlebags, they were pretty too.

“No matter, back on the the topic at hand. Even if Luna gets overwhelmed and is unable to handle the magic being sent her way, we have set it so it will instead be sent to the moon to be divided between the stars. I expect, depending on the amount we receive, the night sky will look vibrant for centuries to come. We have made every certainty in ensuring your safety.” Celestia bowed her head, Twilight looking over her notes.

Sweetie breathed in, “Alright, let’s do this.” Sweetie stepped into the center of the room, feeling the magic vibrating in the air. Forcing herself to remain calm, she waited as the other three got into position, Luna and Celestia in front with Twilight behind her. They hadn’t told her what the test would require, so Sweetie was confused when they brought in a metal pole.

“Using levitation, bend this pole.” Celestia and Luna looked seriously at Sweetie, so she picked up the pole in her magic. Maybe the test was to overcome her limits, and that would bring on the surge. Concentrating, Sweetie poured all her magic into trying to get it to bend. Grunting as the metal refused to budge, Sweetie glanced sheepishly at Celestia and Luna’s disappointed faces. Trying again, Sweetie gritted her teeth and concentrated so hard, she was giving herself a headache.

KABLAM!

Sweetie jumped, hearing something explode behind her. Giving a cry of fright, she glanced behind her to see Twilight holding a popped balloon, and quickly realised she no longer had control of her magic. The fright had removed a force she hadn’t been aware existed. Sweetie cried out, tears streaming from her eyes as a corona of energy burst out of her horn, surrounding her.

Sweetie couldn’t see, there was magic in her eyes, and pain erupting from her horn. Sweetie felt no control over her own body, and she realised exactly what a foal she had been to think this was a good solution. Her horn felt like someone was tearing it off, and her body was spread out like she was on an operating table, her voice no longer working.

Then all of a sudden, Sweetie felt something slide over her horn. It was done slowly, and Sweetie realised something she hadn’t been aware of in her head was there. It was like a-well it was as if there has been something blocking her horn that was currently locked in an upward position that was currently being forced back down.

Sweetie supposed another way of explaining it was that it was as if someone was turning a handle she had only just become aware of, that was attached to her head, and limiting the flow of magic coming out of her horn. Sweetie realised, with shock, that as the force slowly closed it, she was gaining control of it. Almost like she was growing a second horn.

As the force finally closed over her horn, and the handle clicked, telling her brain the flow was almost entirely sealed off, the magic holding her instantly faded. Sweetie felt her body slowly lower to the ground, feeling as if every nerve was alive with energy. Shivering like she had just gotten out of an ice cold shower, Sweetie looked to Celestia, whose horn was glowing.

“Stay still, we’re almost done.” Celestia’s horn gained a second aura, and Sweetie felt the force holding her ‘handle’ vanish. For a brief moment, she was worried her ‘handle’ would immediately slam back to open, but it stayed inert. Very slowly, Sweetie felt the trickle of magic being returned to her body, and looked over to Luna to see a thin stream of magic connecting hers and Sweetie’s horns. After a moment, it faded, and Sweetie felt exhausted, but not, at the same time.

“Alright, take as long as you need to recover. We can talk after.” Celestia’s words swept the breath out of Sweetie, and she fell into a sitting position. Her entire body ached, and she closed her eyes as the familiar headache returned. Sweetie didn’t want to risk casting magic just yet, so she decided to grin and bear it for now. As her head metaphorically cleared, she stood back on on shaky limbs, and nodded.

“I was quite surprised, the amount of magic being expelled was quite a lot...less than what I was expecting.” Luna glanced toward Twilight, who nodded, joining them in front of Sweetie.

“Yeah, it was less than my surge too. Uh! No offense intended.” Twilight sheepishly smiled at Sweetie who discarded it. Sweetie knew she was never going to be ‘magically talented’ like Twilight, but that was ok with Sweetie. Celestia was the only one who looked grave.

“Twilight, didn’t you say Sweetie got out of a death loop somehow?” Celestia waited for Twilight’s reply. Pausing, Twilight tried to catch up with her mentor’s thoughts. After a moment of thought, she gasped.

“Wait, are you saying that what got Sweetie out of the death loop might also be taking what energy is drained each loop?” Twilight bit her lip as Celestia nodded.

“It is the first explanation that comes to mind when I consider the fact Sweetie does not have any of the magic she should contain from draining multiple ponies for...ten loops?” Celestia glanced toward Sweetie, who smiled sheepishly.

“Uh, this is loop 21.” Sweetie saw their mild shock, and looked away. Now they probably wanted to know what she had been doing those twenty loops. Surprisingly, they simply moved on.

“So, the real question is; what do we do about it?” Luna glanced between Twilight and Celestia, and both sighed. Shaking their heads, all looked toward Sweetie Belle.

“I guess you could try to find who it is. I mean, that might even be the way out of the loop. Maybe your loop is different to Starswirl’s. Still, that presents the problem of finding them. Apparently they are also not affected by the time loop.” Twilight began to write down her notes.

“We mustn’t forget there’s the chance this entity is not actually alive, and is just the spell’s design. I understand it’s difficult to not want to put the blame on somepony but…” Luna trailed off, and Twilight nodded, putting down Luna’s notes as well.

“Either way, we are forgetting the most important aspect here; dear Sweetie had just gone through a surge and is likely worried about using magic.” Celestia had seen Sweetie holding her head, trying to ignore the headache. Smiling gratefully, Sweetie forced herself to listen despite the pain.

“It is perfectly safe to use magic, just be aware you will have trouble managing how much to put into a spell while you learn how to control your magic. Be careful of putting too much in and getting a spell to explode in your face. The same goes for putting too little. As always, we will be here if you need us.” Celestia smiled, flaring her wings as she looked between Luna and Twilight.

“Alright, thank you.” Sweetie cast the force field spell, wincing as her horn wanted to gush out all her magic. Thankfully, the spell soaked it up while Sweetie slowly reduced the amount to what the forcefield actually required. As her headache faded, Sweetie was able to fine tune it even more, relishing the control she had now.

“Thank you,” she spoke to the three Alicorns, who smiled warmly in response.

Author's Note:

Grunting as the metal refused the budget, Sweetie glanced sheepishly at Celestia and Luna’s disappointed faces.

Pfff

PreviousChapters Next