• Published 1st Sep 2014
  • 28,978 Views, 10,581 Comments

The Sparkle in his Eye - Tatsurou



Ratchet balances saving the galaxy with being the father to a purple alicorn foal. Adorable shenanigans and explosions ensue.

  • ...
73
 10,581
 28,978

PreviousChapters Next
Nexus: Gravity of the Situation

Once everyone had managed to regain their composure, the Terachnoid lab tech sighed in relief. "Thanks for the rescue!" he piped up happily. "Here, this Grav Tether ought to be useful to help you maneuver around the planet. It's what Pollyx designed it for." He handed the gun-like Gadget, glowing with purple energy in the metal cage at the front, to Twilight. "I'm sure I don't need to explain the functionality of such a device to one with your vast intellect, Miss Sparkle."

"It links two grav-targets with a uni-directional gravity well, creating a tunnel of controlled gravity - called a Grav Stream - that can allow those within it to ride from one target to the other," Twilight explained. "Rather useful, if rather situationally specific. Unfortunately, upgrades aren't really viable for it as it requires those Grav-targets to function properly. The Grav-blast from the Grav Tether will also collapse an existing Grav Tunnel." She frowned thoughtfully as she examined the device. "I did have some ideas about how multiple Grav Streams might interact..."

"Sorry, I've only got the one," the Terachnoid apologized. "But knowing you, you'll probably have built a new one for everyone in your adventuring party by the time you leave the planet-"

"Here you go, Daddy," Twilight interrupted, handing Ratchet a second Grav Tether she'd cobbled together while the Terachnoid had been talking. She then held out a computer chip and two spheres of magic. "Mommy, if you install this in your systems, you should be able to generate your own Grav Tether systems internally. Cronk, Zephyr, your non-corporeal nature should allow you to absorb the spell weave that can mimic the Grav Tether, and thus generate from your ectoplasmic states."

"...or by the time I finish talking..." the Terachnoid breathed, looking and sounding somewhere between envious and aroused.

"My boyfriend wouldn't blink twice before dissecting you if he thought you behaved inappropriately with me," Twilight warned playfully. "Mommy and Daddy might blink a few more times, but they'd still get there eventually."

"And we work for her," Cronk pointed out. "She's our Captain."

"And you saw what we can do," Zephyr added threateningly.

The Terachnoid lab tech drew in on himself. "Uh...last I saw Pollyx, he was heading for the Azeril Caverns. Good luck." He meekly withdrew.

"Accessing map data..." Clank began as he called up the information from his database. "It is on the other side of the mountains. The most direct route is through the sewers."

"Sounds like that's where we're going, then," Ratchet confirmed.

With the Grav Tether, exploration went much faster, and allowed much freer movement over the wide gaps between plateaus, especially as more chunks of ground collapsed into the abyss below regularly as the purple light flared. The only obstacle they encountered were patrols of Thugs-4-Less, though Cronk and Zephyr took the lead, both spotting the patrols and taking them out before they could become aware of the group.

Before too long, they encountered a Grummel-net holo-shop, and Twilight was able to acquire new weapons for the group. Due to the high security of the mission, Ratchet and Twilight had only been cleared to bring an Omniblaster and Fusion Grenade glove apiece. Through the vendor, they were able to acquire Temporal Repulsors - an energy-based shotgun that utilized reverse-engineered Zoni tech to amplify the discharge - and Nightmare Boxes, distraction based weapons that terrorized enemies with visions of horror before exploding on them.

"Well, there are two ways we can go from here," Twilight deduced as she examined the map Clank had downloaded into their Nav-Units. "We can either go see if we can locate Pollyx...or we can try to investigate the Thugs-4-Less activity at their outpost first. What's everyone's thoughts?"

Ratchet traced the map. "From the looks of things, if we investigate the outpost, that will loop us back here, or at least reach a dead end that will require us to back track to here. But following Pollyx means heading into several branching possible paths, as well as extending into unknown areas."

"From a tactical standpoint, we should eliminate any enemy presence behind us before exploring further," Cronk offered logically.

"Not to mention we'd feel really stupid if we went all the way out to here-" Zephyr gestured to the far edge of the path to the East towards the Azeril Caverns "-only to find out Vendra and Neftin were over here all along!" He pointed to the looping path, where the Thugs-4-Less Outpost was located.

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. "So we have every reason to clear out the outpost first. Let's go then."


The path to the Thug Outpost proved to be far simpler than anticipated. Not only was the only long part of the path along a metal path traversable via Omni-boots or flight, making travel very easy for Twilight and Zephyr, the Thug patrols themselves proved ill-equipped to deal with the concerted assault of two warbots, a heavily armed Lombax, and Twilight Sparkle. Even the Thug dropship fell after a charging assault from Zephyr's air battle mode. Clank focused on hacking the Thugs' comm signal, thus keeping accurate track of all hostiles.

It wasn't long before all hostiles had been dealt with, and the group was free to continue exploration. However, as they explored, a broadcast played over all frequencies.

"Someone out there is beating up my thugs," Vendra spoke up teasingly. "Is that you, Ratchet? Wow, you really are as tough as the stories say. That's...rather impressive. I'm glad to hear you're all still in one piece after what happened with my prison ship. So tell me, what do you think of my old planet? Nef and I grew up here." She suddenly chuckled wickedly. "As much as I hope you enjoy what we've done with the place, another thought occurs to me. I've heard lots of girls when they grow up have fantasies about what they'd do to a nice boy on their childhood bed. I hope I get you cornered there, as I have a few of my own." Her voice took on throaty, sensual overtones. "I'll leave it up to you," she breathed playfully, "to figure out which sort I mean. I'm sure at least one of us would enjoy it."

The group blinked for a bit after hearing that broadcast. "So..." Twilight began nervously. "Is she...flirting with you, or threatening you?" she asked carefully.

"With what I know of Vendra from my reading," Ratchet replied softly, "possibly...both." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Kinda hot," he mumbled under his breath, trying to keep Twilight from overhearing.

Cronk leaned close to Zephyr. "I am suddenly far less comfortable with his relationship with Talwyn."

"I'm pretty sure at this point we have nothing to say there," Zephyr countered back.

PreviousChapters Next