• Published 18th Jul 2014
  • 22,759 Views, 648 Comments

Their Knight of Scales - Radiant Dawn



Spike spent much of his young life trying to find his place in the world, only to realize it was with those who had become his family. Now, he must decide what to do with new emotions and desires.

  • ...
63
 648
 22,759

Chapter 29

Author's Note:

*Black hole: for context, even a tiny black hole would be extremely dangerous. A nickel sized black hole would have the mass of Earth, and would kill everyone. A black hole with the mass of a nickel (or a cup, for example), would evaporate extremely quickly, but would explode with the force of kilotons (or megatons) of TNT. For context, the bombs that wiped out Hiroshima and Nagasaki during WWII were kiloton bombs.

Anyhow, here's another chapter. As always, read and enjoy, and don't hesitate to point out any errors or inconsistencies I may have missed.

Thankfully, the days passed fairly easily, and before I knew it, the day to return to my beloved dragoness had finally come. As we had agreed, the entire herd would be going, meaning certain ponies had to be talked down to keep them from trying to bring their entire house with them. Well, one pony.

“Rarity, we’re spending only a few days there, and it would be extremely risky to bring this many clothes to a place that thrives on lava and fire,” Twilight advised, unwilling to budge. “Besides, unless you know how to teleport long distances without seeing where you’re going, the more things we bring, the higher the chance of something going wrong in transit. You wouldn’t want to be dumped a hundred miles away from the rest of us, now would you? And that’s even assuming nothing was lost during transit.”

Rarity tried to keep her defiant glare on her face, but the worried gulp and sweat that began beading on her forehead betrayed her. Biting her lip and glancing over the eight cases she was trying to bring, she relented. “...m-maybe I could consolidate some things.”

“Maybe you can. I’ll help,” Fluttershy said, smiling affectionately at her friend as she moved to assist the fashionista.

Twilight watched the two begin going through the cases for a moment, then turned to Starlight, who was standing nearby. “So, are you sure you’ll be okay on your own?”

Starlight rolled her eyes and shook her mane out of her eyes. “Twi, we’ll be fine. I’m pretty sure I can handle anything that might come up, and if worse comes to worst, I’ll shoot a letter to Spike to let you know. But, don’t do what you normally do and worry yourself to death if you don’t hear anything from me. That will just mean that everything’s fine.” The pink unicorn then raised an eyebrow at me. “I’m counting on you to reign in her neuroses so she doesn’t panic when it’s not needed.”

Twilight gave an offended snort from beside me, even as I wrapped her in my wing and smiled at the other mare. “Of course, Star. You act like I haven’t known Twilight my entire life or something. I knew what I was getting into from the very beginning.”

“You both suck,” Twilight grumped, though she didn’t leave my embrace and instead snuggled a bit more against my side. Just before I could fire off an innuendo-fueled zinger, Twilight preempted me by saying, “And if what you’re about to say has anything to do with making that comment somehow sexual, you’re going to find out what the moon looks like this time of year.”

While I knew the threat wasn’t real, I also knew making Twilight mad before we headed to the dragon lands was a bad idea. So, despite my innate desire to poke at her, I swallowed down the comment and just smiled at the alicorn.

“What about Fizzle?” Starlight asked curiously.

Twilight shrugged from beneath my wing. “She just had a treatment and is still taking pain meds, so she’ll be pretty quiet. Just, y’know, check on her from time to time to make sure she doesn’t suddenly take a turn for the worse or something. The chances of that happening are slim to none, but checking on her twice a day couldn’t hurt. I imagine she’ll want to be left alone anyway, so I don’t expect you to foalsit her or anything.”

Starlight gave a single nod. “Well, I guess I’ll just keep things together until all of you get back. Have a nice time!”

As Starlight walked back toward the castle, I caught sight of a cloud hovering a few dozen feet above the castle. I squinted at it, and saw just a smidge of a rainbow mane peek over the edge briefly before disappearing. I frowned at the sight before sighing and turning away.

“She’s still not talking, hm?” Twilight questioned idly as we turned back to make our way to our herd.

I shook my head. “No. Like I told you: Scoots said she’ll come up with something to shake her out of her funk, so for now we just gotta leave her be. I just wish she’d talk to us.”

“Talking has never been one of Rainbow’s strengths. True, she’s gotten better as we’ve matured, but she’s still prone to avoiding awkward situations, even if talking would help,” Twilight pointed out as we separated. “For now, I think leaving her to her own devices is best. If she doesn’t want to talk to us, trying to corner her will just push her away. What we’re going to do is focus on our trip to the dragon lands, and whatever comes of that. That’s all we can do.”

I shrugged and half-smiled. “I know you’re right, I just feel like this whole situation is stupid. Well, whatever. We’ll handle all that when we get back.” I approached my unicorn mate and grinned at her as she pouted adorably. “So, are we ready?”

Rarity just frowned harder, crossing her arms under her chest. “I suppose.”

Rolling my eyes, I wrapped an arm around Rarity’s shoulders. “Quit acting like a foal, Rares. Besides the fact dragons don’t put much stock in wearing fabric, we’re only going to be there for a few days. Who you are is far more important than what you’re wearing. Besides: in a place with lots of fire, the likelihood of your clothing getting damaged or destroyed is far higher than it is in Equestria. The less we bring with us, the better.”

“B-but what if there’s a fashion emergency, and I don’t have enough clothing options?” she weakly argued.

I just shrugged again, smirking at her. “Well, I guess you’ll just have to be naked.”

An odd choking noise came from the white pony before she slapped me hard on the arm, which only caused me to erupt in laughter. The rest joined in only a moment later, and eventually, Rarity could only smile with a blush as she shook her head at me.

After we settled ourselves and gathered in a close group, Twilight lit her horn and explained, “Okay, grab hold and huddle close, everyone. As with any long-range teleport, this is going to be particularly jarring for your stomach, so I hope all of you remembered not to eat anything.” With a deep breath, Twilight added a second and then a third layer to the glow on her horn, and with a bright flash, the world fell away.


After what was in reality only moments later (though it felt like hours), I could feel a distinct difference in the air. Each breath I took felt heavier, and the air was more dry than it was in Ponyville. As my ears stopped ringing, I carefully opened my eyes and looked around us.

We were in a cave, and under Twilight’s hooves was the temporary teleport anchor she had sent to Ember. The dragoness herself was standing a dozen paces away, but once she saw we were all safe and whole, she wasted no time in making her way over and greeting each individual. I was the last one she welcomed to her home, but the dragoness nearly knocked me over when she flung herself at me and immediately captured my lips with hers. The sheer passion and longing in that kiss made me weak in the knees, and I’ll readily admit to almost dropping her as I struggled to stay standing.

Just before my legs completely gave out on me, Ember pulled back and disconnected our lips with a loud *pop*. She laid her forehead against mine as her shining eyes looked deep into my soul and her radiant smile brightened my entire life. “Hello again, beloved.”

I wish I could honestly claim I said something wonderfully romantic and sweet, but all that came out was a goofy laugh and a dorky smile. However, if Ember’s persistent, loving smile was any indication, that was enough, and she didn’t seem to mind whatsoever.

The dragoness carefully untangled herself from me and looked once again at the assembled ponies and changeling. With an approving nod, she said, “I’m glad you all could make it. As you can see,” she gestured around the large, cavernous stone room, “this is my home, and all of you are welcome to whatever space you want. I apologize for not having something that’s more traditionally appropriate for a pony, but…well, Equestrian stuff burns pretty easily. Even the wood frames you use for beds would be impractical around here.”

“It’s okay, Ember. We came prepared,” Twilight announced just before opening a portal with a wave of her hand, sticking her whole upper body inside, and pulling out a full metal bed frame to be assembled. Said frame was quickly built with only a trifle of a spell, which left a bare bed frame now sitting against the corner of the cave furthest from the entrance. Next, Twilight reached into the portal again, this time pulling out a matching mattress, plus a bag that contained sheets, a blanket (which the ponies were unlikely to need, due to the heat), and pillows. At Ember’s dropped jaw and questioning eyes, Twilight explained, “Before you ask, all of this was bought specially or created by Rarity herself. The bedding is both highly tear-resistant, and immune to all but the most extreme of heat. While I haven’t tested it so thoroughly, I’m sure if it dropped in a volcano, it would be fine as long as the spells weaved into the fibers hold. And since I’m the one that cast the spells, I’m confident they would.”

Ember just continued to stare at the alicorn for a few moments before shaking her head with a soft laugh. “And here I was expecting you to do something normal for a change. I wonder when I’ll stop being surprised by you.”

“Normal is boring,” Twilight snarked with a matching smile at her dragoness herdmate.

Ember’s smile remained as she nodded. “So it is. Anyway, since you all are here, I figure we can get the hard part out of the way and meet my parents. I, uh, haven’t told them anything regarding this, but my father knows I’m hiding something. I still don’t think he will have expected a herd in his wildest dreams, and I’m both excited and terrified to see his reaction.” As she spoke about us meeting her parents, Ember’s face gradually devolved into a worried frown, even going so far as to nibble on her lip.

Twilight wasted no time in nosing her way into Ember’s space, settling herself under the taller dragoness’ wing and wrapping her fuzzy arm around the other’s lower back as she smiled up at her herdmate. “Hey, it’ll be okay. All of us are here to support you, and your father’s just going to need to get used to it. Like I said: you’re stuck with us, our treasure.”

While she would always deny it, Ember let loose an honest-to-Celestia squee at the pet name, and hugged the alicorn tightly to her side. It took everyone else joining in the hug for her to realize what she had done, and though a blush bloomed from within her, she didn’t resist the collective embrace from everyone.

After breaking apart, we all took a few moments to settle our things within the open space, as well as allowing time for the rest of the herd to change into more appropriate attire, before following Ember out of the cave. Upon leaving the mouth of said cave, the ponies were blasted with a wave of warm air due to the volcanic environment. Though it was winter, the dragon lands were always kept at a comfortable temperature, which meant the ponies were able to wear what was more appropriate for summer, even at the end of winter. Granted, there was a need to be wary of the lakes of lava and active lava flows, but it was fair to call the temperature “balmy”.

We all followed behind Ember, but it wasn’t difficult to see where we were headed, given that the massive size of her father allowed him to be seen for miles around. We were also the subject of stares from quite a few dragons, moreso because of the ponies and changeling than me. None of them approached, but it was clear we were going to have quite a few questions posed to us during our stay. I didn’t mind so much, but I was also kinda looking forward to when a dragon would inevitably test the boundaries of any of my herd. Even Fluttershy, who was unanimously voted to be the “softest” of any of us, was not going to accept being pushed around.

“Going from the looks we’re receiving, I can only conclude you didn’t tell any of the others that we would be visiting,” Lyla observed, though the answer was obvious to all of us.

Finally showing something other than nervousness, Ember looked over her shoulder and smirked at the changeling queen. “I thought it would be more fun to surprise them. Besides: it would be good for them to get used to visits from other races. The more comfortable we as a species become with other races, the better.”

We were silent the rest of the walk, eventually arriving at the giant crag that Torch used as a basking spot. Going off of the patient look on his knowing face, he had been watching us for awhile now, or his sharp sense of smell had picked up on the scent of non-dragons. He sent a silent raised brow Ember’s way, and though the dragoness hunched her shoulders a bit, she continued to approach the giant dragon in front of us.

“I must confess, I thought only the whelp would be joining you, Ember,” the giant dragon boomed, his deep, rumbling voice causing my bones to ache.

Ember, realizing the rest of us weren’t particularly used to having our bodies vibrated by the voice, snorted a few sparks out of her nose as she said, “Father, I asked you to speak softly. Also, ‘the whelp’ has a name. Use it.”

The sight of a comparatively diminutive dragoness like Ember standing up to her father, a dragon that dwarfed even the city of Canterlot, was downright hilarious. However, the sudden change from nervous to righteously indignant was severe enough that it snapped us out of our collective awe, and had all of us staring at the two dragons, waiting for whatever was going to happen to happen. Eventually, Torch completely ignored his daughter’s request to be quieter, and belted out a laugh loud enough to shake the numerous mountains and volcanoes that surrounded us for miles.

It took a few moments for the giant to finish laughing, but he eventually calmed down enough to say, “And here I thought all that time in ponyland made you soft, daughter! I’ve never been happier to be wrong!” He then lowered his head to look at each of us before (thankfully) quietly saying, “So, introduce me to the Equestrians then. Who are they and why are they here?”

Ember slapped her palm on her face and groaned. “Dad, can you please stop playing games? You know full well who all of these ponies are…well, except for maybe Lyla.” Ember stepped back and ushered the changeling queen forward as she announced, “Dad, this is Lyla. She’s the first changeling that became a citizen of Equestria, and lives in Ponyville.”

While he thankfully didn’t seem hostile, Torch didn’t look particularly impressed. “And why did you bring a changeling to our home, daughter? In fact, why are any of them here? I was under the impression we would only be presenting your new mate to the clan.”

Ember squirmed a bit under her father’s gaze, clearly unsure of how to word the truth. While a part of me wanted to jump in and explain everything on her behalf, I knew that Ember deserved to be the one to tell her father what was really going on. Besides that, it probably wouldn’t look good if I made it seem as if the daughter of Torch and a dragonlord couldn’t muster up the courage to speak when it was needed.

Ember glanced at me briefly. “Well, as you can see, we both have branded one another. Spike and I are mated.”

“Then everything is as it should be,” Torch surmised.

While it would be easier to just leave things that way, Ember steeled herself and finally brought her gaze up to meet her father’s. “Yes, but…that’s not all. There’s a reason all the others are here as well. Technically speaking, by Equestrian culture…th-they’re my mates too.”

Finally, that got a more noticeable reaction from the draconic giant, as he froze and his massive maw dropped open in shock. Likely for the first time she could remember, Ember got to see her father unable to say anything in response to a situation. Eventually, the dragon patriarch was able to utter, “...come again?”

“All those you see standing here are legally her mates as well, Torch,” Twilight spoke up, stepping forward to take her place at Ember’s side.

Immediately, the dumbfounded look on Torch’s face twisted into a snarl. “I wasn’t asking you, pony. My daughter is fully capable of answering questions on her own,” he then shot a look to the dragoness in question, “and I expect her to do so.”

For the first time since the meeting began, Ember showed an emotion besides anxiety and worry. Now, she snarled right back at her giant of a father. “When you speak to the ones I care about, you will do so with respect, father.”

“Respect is earned, whelp,” Torch shot right back, his gaze unyielding. “As it stands, you’re standing here with a bunch of outsiders, claiming that you’ve submitted to the whims of a nation that is not your home. A dragonlord never settles, they take what is rightly theirs.”

“Oh go stick your head in a volcano, you grouchy old windbag,” came another voice from off to the side, just as another large dragon with a mauve hide, deep blue spines, and a soft blue belly climbed up from the canyon far below us. The softer, sleeker body and face told me this was a female, and the resemblance between this dragon and Ember was uncanny. “As I recall, a dragonlord leads as they see fit, and that includes how they live their own life. Ember has earned the right to make her own decisions in life, as long as they do not harm dragonkind.”

Ember relaxed just a hair, her face forming a half-smile. “Perfect timing as always, mother.”

Ignoring the comment by his daughter, Torch turned to the elder dragoness and argued, “And how do you know this won’t harm our kind? There is a reason dragons do not live the same way as ponies!”

The dragoness smiled enigmatically. “Perhaps it is well past time dragonkind adapts to the world, instead of stagnating. If I recall, that has been Ember’s plan all along for her reign. I daresay adopting some attributes of the Equestrians could be beneficial for all of us. Ponies did not become the largest, most powerful nation on this planet by being foolish, dear. Now, go take a soak in the lake to settle yourself, lest you say or do something stupid.”

The ex-dragonlord grumbled to himself as she lumbered away from us, likely heading to the giant caldera that held an open lava lake. After watching him go for a moment, Ember once again smiled up at her mother. “Thanks mom. I was worried I was gonna have to get physical with him if he didn’t stop.”

The large dragoness lazily draped herself over the vacated crag, letting out a loud sigh. “He is my mate, and I love the brute, but your father is set in his ways. You know that better than anyone, my little sapphire.”

Ember immediately blushed at the nickname, and I chuckled aloud as I commented, “Oh, I am definitely remembering that name. It's adorable.”

Ember once more slapped a palm to her face as she whined, “Moooom! C’mon, don’t use my whelp name in front of everyone!”

The dragoness just continued to smile, gesturing to us. “So, are you going to introduce me to these lovely individuals? I don’t think we’ve formally met before.”

Feeling significantly less tense with her mother, Ember relaxed a bit more and nodded. First, she wrapped her arm around Twilight and said, “This is princess Twilight Sparkle, and she’s Equestria’s Princess of Friendship. While she has many talents, her primary calling is to foster positive relations with anyone and everyone, if at all possible. The school we sent Smolder to was Twilight’s passion project, and I know Smolder has told everyone plenty about that.”

“She has indeed,” the dragoness replied.

Ember moved over to me next. “I know you recognize Spike, but now, he’s my mate as well. While he doesn’t take a big leadership role in Equestria, he’s still an integral part of the nation, and he works with the others to ensure his home is peaceful.”

“It’s nice to meet you again, ma’am,” I greeted, smiling at Ember’s mother.

I received a smile right back as the large dragoness reached out a claw and gently poked me in the cheek. “Still such a charmer. I’m quite happy my lovely daughter managed to secure you as a mate after all. I was halfway worried she would remain unclaimed for decades to come.”

“MOM!”

Ember’s mother giggled in a decidedly feminine manner, holding a hand up to her mouth as she struggled to stay composed. After a few moments, she breathed deeply and assured, “Come now, there is no need to be ashamed. Honestly, I knew from the moment I saw the two of you together that he was your destined mate. I sensed it, and I knew the time would come at some point. I’m just happy it didn’t take centuries.”

Ember snorted hard, but said nothing in direct response to that, opting to continue the introductions. Next, she moved to Rarity, and laid a hand on the unicorn’s shoulder. “This is Rarity Belle, first of Spike’s hoard and the alpha female.”

At that, Ember’s mother raised a brow high. “You aren’t the alpha, Ember?”

Knowing things were more complicated than it seemed, Rarity decided to speak up. “Greetings. I am indeed Rarity, and as Spike’s first courted female, I am the ‘alpha’ of his herd. While that may change in time, for now, I am the one whom all decisions go through, and I have the responsibility of ensuring everyone is kept healthy and happy.” She briefly caught eyes with Ember before turning her attention back to the larger dragoness. “In an Equestrian herd, all are treated as equals. Simply being a dragon does not grant Ember the position of alpha, nor does her position as a dragonlord give her any additional standing within the herd. She will be treated with whatever respect she deserves based on her actions and behavior, not simply because of what species she is or what title she may hold in these lands. I assure you: it is no disrespect. Instead, with us, Ember can live and be cared for as a normal individual, where the only expectation is the same care and respect we offer to her. We don’t look to use her connection to her clan as an asset, and nor do we expect her to offer us special treatment within the dragon lands simply because of our connection to her.”

The elder dragoness tilted her head slightly, looking intently at her daughter before smiling a bit. “I am aware that being the daughter of Torch made your life more difficult than others of your age, Ember. While I wish you could have grown up in the common way, I am happy to see you have found individuals who offer you the chance to be cared about based on your own merits. For that alone, I accept this arrangement.” She then nodded to the group. “I see there are three other members I have yet to know.”

Applejack stepped forward next, tipping her hat respectfully to the mother of Ember. “G’mornin’, ma’am. Mah name’s Applejack, and mah fam’ly owns and operates Sweet Apple Acres, which is a farm that grows produce sold all around Equestria, and even t’ some places outside’a it. Mah fam’ly was one’a tha first t’ settle tha site that’d become Ponyville, and mah kin’re spread all across Equestria.”

Ember’s mother nodded with a thoughtful expression. “So you have a very prolific family with many connections. This is good. Family lines are very important to dragons.”

“So Ember’s said,” Applejack acknowledged. “Ah doubt there’s a single citizen of Equestria that’s never heard of tha Apples, ‘n there’s at least one’a mah relatives in every town ‘n city. Needless t’ say, fam’ly reunions are a big deal. Ah’m of tha mind that fam’ly is one’a tha most important things in life.”

The large dragoness bobbed her head from side to side, mulling over what she was told. “While I cannot say dragons place the same importance on family in the same way as you seem to, I can respect valuing family. Thank you, Applejack.”

Taking the dismissal as a cue, Ember stepped over to Fluttershy next, and gently ushered the pegasus forward. Once again, Ember was surprised when Fluttershy was standing tall instead of cowering, confidently meeting the gaze of her mother. It took a moment for Ember to mentally shake herself, eventually settling on a brief introduction. “This is Fluttershy, Ponyville’s resident animal caretaker. She might seem soft and delicate, but I’ve seen firsthand just how foolish it would be to underestimate her. She’s a strong, capable pony, and even before getting to know her as a fellow hoard mate, I respected her for her ability to masterfully deal with large predators and beasts of the Everfree Forest.”

“Really now?” Ember’s mother replied with surprise, clear in her tone. “Even the ursa?”

Fluttershy blushed a bit at the attention, but smiled nonetheless. “Oh, they’re not so bad once you get to know them. In fact, I think ursa and dragons have a lot in common: they like to eat, they like to sleep, and they generally just want to be left to live in peace. Sure, they’re big, but they’re only dangerous if you encroach on their homes, much like I imagine dragons are. I don’t think it’s a secret that any one of you would be upset if a stranger was walking around your home uninvited.”

“Yes, I suppose I can understand that,” the elder dragoness once again agreed.

Finally, Ember moved to the last member of the herd. “And this is Lyla, Ponyville’s resident changeling, and apparently a queen of her kind.”

“A queen by my form, not by title,” Lyla clarified, waving to the elder dragoness. “In reality, I’m just one of Spike’s herd, one of Ponyville’s protectors, and someone that wanted to be here to support Ember, should she need it.”

Ember’s mother nodded to Lyla with that persistent smile, placing one large claw on her chest. “It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I am Purple Spinel, mother to Ember and mate to the grump you met earlier. You are welcome here in these lands, and I for one am quite happy to meet all of you. However,” she glanced at me directly, “I would appreciate an explanation on just what a herd is, and why Ember somehow has multiple mates to present to the clan.”

Everyone looked to me now, and I sighed as I realized I was apparently expected to explain everything. Regardless, I did as I was expected to, and stepped up closer to the dragoness as I gestured behind me to the others. “In Equestria, males are expected to take multiple mates in order to keep the population growth steady. Females are naturally born at a higher rate than males, so it’s normal for males to court multiple females. Normally a herd has two or three males and six to twelve females, but…well, with me being a dragon, we’ve had to adapt things a bit differently. As for why Ember has multiple mates, that’s because Equestrian herds are one big relationship between all members. So, when Ember accepted the terms of being in a herd to be with me, she wasn’t just accepting me as a mate, she was accepting everyone else as a mate as well.”

Purple Spinel raised her brow high and looked to her daughter. “I was under the impression you only fancied drakes, daughter.”

Ember made a weird noise that was halfway between a squawk and a growl, but since she seemed unable to form words, I decided to clarify. “I’m the only one Ember has actually mated with. One thing you need to understand about Equestria is that attraction and even mating between those of the same sex isn’t stigmatized like it is in many other places around the globe. Equestrians are of the mind that you can’t force love, so if you happen to be attracted to someone of the same sex, that’s fine and you are encouraged to do what makes you happy.” I gestured to the alicorn of the group. “Twilight, for example, finds both males and females attractive, and she’s courted individuals of both sexes in the past. Some, like Rarity, are only attracted to the opposite sex, and yet others are only attracted to the same sex. And before you tell us, yes, we’re all aware that such things are taboo amongst dragons. However: as ponies are a different species, we ask that you don’t judge them the same way you would a dragon. Things are different in Equestria, and we ask that you respect that. The only way our culture impacts Ember is that she has multiple mates now.”

“We’re also aware that’s going to cause quite the stir amongst the clan,” Twilight added, directly acknowledging the possible hurdle we were going to have to navigate. “That’s also why we’re here. We will not let Ember weather this incident alone; the herd stands together.”

The elder dragoness sighed heavily again and lay her head down on her crossed arms. “Unfortunately, you are correct in your assumption. Many dragons will not accept this arrangement, and quite a few are going to be upset about it. Not that it’s any of their business, but since Ember is the dragonlord, they will assume her personal life is up for debate. I don’t personally have a problem with what any of you do in your private lives, even if I don’t understand it. In the end, if this makes you happy, Ember, then I will support you however I can.”

Ember smiled despite the air of tension that had been evoked due to Twilight mentioning the inevitable conflict. “Thanks mom.”

“There is, however, one other issue we have to address,” Lyla advised, raising her voice a bit to get the attention of Ember’s mother.

Purple Spinel rolled her eyes over to the changeling, though she didn’t raise her head. “And what would that be?”

“Sapphira,” Ember spat, knowing full well that we had to address this when everyone was here.

Purple Spinel snorted loudly. “Ah yes, I heard about that. If I am not mistaken, the issue is that Sapphira nearly caused a war with Equestria, correct?”

Twilight nodded gravely. “Yes ma’am, that’s correct. Not only did she claim land that was already settled by the nearby towns, she attempted to abduct Spike and injured Lyla.”

“Nearly killed her, iffin’ we’re bein’ honest,” Applejack threw in, crossing her arms and huffing.

“Nonetheless, Equestria demands recompense,” Twilight continued, her brow creasing and her lips curling into a frown. “As much as I want to just forget about all this, we can’t. Everyone knows what happened by now, and we need to show the people this type of incident will not be ignored by the ruling class. So, by Spike’s right as the dishonored party, we will demand a duel for the return of his honor.”

Again, Purple Spinel raised her brow, glancing over to her daughter. “I see you told them of our ways. Well done, daughter. However, as much as Spike may have grown over the years, he is no match for Sapphira in a fair fight. Sending him against her is a death sentence.”

“But, we can choose a champion to represent me, right?” I pointed out with a decidedly predatory grin.

Ember’s mother slowly nodded. “Yes, this is true. But, as I’m sure she has told you, they must be your kin.”

“And that is where magic and technicalities come into play,” I answered, continuing to grin. “I was hatched by Twilight’s magic, making Equestrian magic a part of me. Any dragon can confirm this. As for my kin, I was officially adopted by Princess Celestia. I know even dragons adopt orphaned whelps.”

“Wait, you’re not saying that Princess Celestia-”

I laughed heartily. “No no no, that’d be absurd.” At my words, Purple Spinel relaxed a bit, but I could only grin internally at the thought of what my next words would do to her. “No. My champion will be my aunt, Princess Luna.”

The large dragoness froze at the name, and her wings began noticeably twitching as she seemed to be struggling to reign in her fight or flight instinct. Eventually, through what appeared to be bone-chilling fear, she was able to utter a reverent, “You can invoke the wrath of the Mare in the Moon?”

“Well, she wasn’t in the moon per se, but…yeah, I can,” I confirmed with a smile. “Luna doesn’t get too many chances to really ‘stretch her wings’ anymore when it comes to battle, so she practically jumped at the idea. Honestly, I’m more worried about what she’ll do to Sapphira. Probably toy with her in front of the spectators, making the dragoness look weak and feeble in the face of Equestria’s guardian of the night. I think Sapphira’s gonna get a double helping of humble pie.”

“Ah’d say she’s earned it,” Applejack threw in.

Twilight nodded firmly. “Seconded. I think all of us have a personal stake in ensuring justice is meted out.”

“I suppose this Sapphira should have thought of the possible consequences before taking such a monumentally idiotic action,” Rarity spat with venom.

Ember nodded firmly, but kept the conversation moving. “However, what I need from you, mom, is help convincing the clan that some ponies not directly slighted can witness the event. Mostly reporters and such. They want proof that the problem is being dealt with.”

Purple Spinel hummed aloud before answering, “I believe that can be arranged. Our clan isn’t particularly known for violence, so I believe the only dangers visitors will need to be aware of would be the lakes, flows, and the occasional eruption. The clan members themselves will probably just ask them many questions.”

Shrugging, I suggested, “Well, we’ll handle all that tomorrow then, I guess. Let’s give it a day for the novelty of ponies and a changeling being here to wear off.”

Ember’s mother nodded slowly, letting out another long breath. “And, I suppose we can allow some time for my boulderhead of a mate to calm down so he can think a little more rationally. He’s just concerned for you, Ember. He’s well aware that something like this will cause problems for you, and this is his way of being worried.”

“Well, he’s being a jerk,” Ember bluntly stated with her arms crossed. “What, does he think I haven’t thought about all this? I asked all of them to come on purpose, because I knew both my parents and the rest of the clan deserved to know the extent of my connection to Equestria. Besides trying to forge a stronger relationship between our nations, all of you deserve to understand that this is also personal for me. While Spike may be the only one who has had the privilege of a more physical relationship-”

“A privilege I enjoy as often as I can,” I teased, smiling with a saucy wiggle of my brow.

Ember blushed again, but cleared her throat and continued. “Um…yes. Anyway, all of the individuals here are important to me. Like I told all of them when I planned this, I will not have all of them be some dirty secret I keep from my parents and my clan. To do so would dishonor both me and them, and that’s something I won’t be doing.”

The elder dragoness considered her daughter’s words for a moment before smiling wide. “It appears you’ve learned your lessons well, my little sapphire. I could not be more proud of the dragon you have grown into. And, though he doesn’t quite know how to say it, so too is your father.”

Again, Ember blushed, but looked quite pleased at the praise. “...th-thank you, mom.”

Purple Spinel continued to smile. “You’re welcome. Now, I am already acquainted with Spike, but I regretfully do not know very much about the rest of you. Ember, why don’t you take Spike and give him a quick tour while I get to know the rest of the guests?”

The sudden request momentarily put me off balance, but with a reassuring smile from Twilight, I calmed myself and nodded. “I guess I’ll go see what’s changed since the last time I was here, then.”

“Go easy on them, mother,” Ember half-warned, her playful glare and smile letting me know she wasn’t actually worried anything bad would happen.

Purple Spinel waved a claw at us. “Come now, you don’t truly expect me to not have plenty of questions for them, now do you? I was expecting you to bring back one mate, and instead you bring six. This is an exciting and interesting moment for me. It isn’t often I am surprised, and I want to enjoy this.”

Ember rolled her eyes before gently pulling me along behind her. “Fine, fine. We’ll be back in a little while.”

I thought it was a little strange we were obviously being dismissed, but mentally shrugged and followed Ember out into what was essentially the main square of her clan. It was a giant collection of crags, flat rocks, and even some shaped stone chairs, with open air so that the dragons that gathered there could comfortably bask in the sun.

There were a few already there when we walked in, some doing a double-take when they noticed me, but none saw fit to approach. I wasn’t sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, but thought no more about it as we approached a dragon I did recognize.

Smolder was relaxing on a large, flat outcropping of rock with her eyes closed and one leg hanging off to the side. The leg was swinging ever so slightly, telling me she was awake, but not particularly bothered with doing anything of any importance so early in the day. It was technically still early morning, after all.

Ember made her way directly over to the younger dragoness and lightly tapped her foot with the tip of her tail. Smolder twitched at the touch and sat up, yawning and rubbing her eyes before opening them and looking over at us. With a smile, she waved to both of us and greeted, “Oh, hey you two. Forgot Spike was visiting today. How was the trip?”

I shrugged. “Basically nothing at all. Twilight teleported all of us here, so it took a matter of a second or two.”

Smolder raised her brow at that. “Wait, all of you? I thought it was just gonna be you.”

Ember nodded slowly. “Yeah, the whole herd came.”

Smolder’s lips formed a surprised “o” as she absorbed what she had been told. “Wow…how did that go?”

Ember snorted in annoyance. “Mom’s talking to everyone right now, and my dad…well, you know how he is. He didn’t exactly make a good first impression, so mom told him to go cool off. One way or another, he’s going to have to get used to it, because I’m not excluding all of them just because it makes my father uncomfortable.”

Smolder let out a breath before shrugging. “Well, I won’t waste my time by saying how that’s gonna take time, or that he’s gonna fight it. You know Torch better than any of the rest of us, so I’m sure you already know all of that. What I will say is that I get it. My brother wasn’t exactly happy when he heard I was friends with ‘lesser creatures,’ so I understand having a boulderhead trying to make things hard when they don’t need to be.”

I smiled wryly at that. “Garble’s still kind of a jerk, huh?”

Smolder nodded with a roll of her eyes. “Yeah. Not as bad as he used to be, but that’s just the way he is, I guess. He’s a dragon through and through, but he’s still dumb and thinks dragons are all that matter.”

“If I recall, you used to be the same way,” Ember pointed out with a smirk.

Smolder rolled her eyes again, but didn’t deny it. “Yeah, but that changed. Unlike my boulderhead of a brother, I’m willing to learn about new things instead of assuming I know all I need to know. Besides: all those baddies Equestria’s been taking down, one by one, had the major flaw of overconfidence. That’s one of the things you’re trying to change about dragons, isn’t it?”

“It is,” Ember answered, glancing around at the dragons trying to seem like they weren’t watching us. “Humility would be a good quality for us to have, as well as the desire to learn new things. The world has a lot more to offer that could make the lives of dragons better, so I think it’s time to change that. Maybe a dragonlord being part of an Equestrian herd is enough to shake things up and get some of the more accepting dragons thinking.”

“In Equestria, we call it ‘planting a seed’,” I commented jerking my head toward a cliff face where four different dragons were perched, watching us. “It means that while it might not do anything right now, you’re investing in the future. Maybe nothing will happen for a while, but as long as you stand firm and refuse to budge, dragons will have to start adapting, and that’ll start with questions.”

“And as we answer those questions, they will begin to understand,” Ember continued. “With understanding comes a willingness to learn more, and even befriend. You, Smolder, are proof enough of that.”

Smolder bobbed her head from side to side before shrugging. “Yeah…I guess I am. I know I never would have gone to the school on my own. If you hadn’t made me, I don’t think I’d have ever met any of the others.”

“And though we don’t really think about it, Twilight’s School of Friendship directly fostered the alliances between the different nations that allowed us to stand together against Cozy Glow, Chrysalis, and Tirek,” I reminded, thinking back to the epic gathering of at least a dozen different races, all to fight united against the greatest threat to date.

Smolder shrugged once more. “I guess that’s true. I’d rather we don’t have to repeat that event anytime soon, though.”

“If I have a say in it, they’ll stay frozen in stone forever,” I snarled, my instincts flaring at the thought of the danger those three would pose if they ever got out. Just the thought of my home or any of my loved ones getting hurt…

“Spike, calm down. It’s okay.”

The voice of my mate brought me back to the world, and I realized I had been on the verge of hyperventilating, and I was snorting smoke out of my nose. Glancing around, I noticed I now had the attention of every dragon within view, a few trying to act like they hadn’t been watching me ever since we entered the area. Ember had a patient, loving expression on her face, while Smolder looked like she wasn’t sure of whether she should fly away or get ready to fight me. With a deep, steadying breath, I settled my nerves and gave the two dragonesses a reassuring smile. “I’m okay, sorry about that. It’s just…the thought of the damage they could do, and who they could hurt if they escaped, got me burning a little.”

Ember pressed against my side, nosing my throat lovingly as she assured me, “With how much magic they have within them, I’m pretty sure that if they broke free, everyone across the entire planet would feel it. Since that hasn’t happened, I think you can relax a little.” Both of us started when we heard a barely suppressed “aww” come from in front of us, and looked over to see Smolder blushing madly as she refused to look at either of us.

Raising my brow at her, I asked, “What was that about, Smolder?”

She stayed silent for a few moments before sighing loudly and answering, “It’s just…you both are really in love with each other. Like, that fairytale kind of love you usually only read about in books. It’s…nice to see, especially with dragons. Ember will back me up when I say it’s pretty rare around here, and it’s cute.”

While Smolder spent far more time around ponies than Ember did (and was still growing up when she attended the School of Friendship), hearing her refer to something as “cute” was uncommon, to say the least. Along with her coloration, she reminded me of a certain petite pegasus who also overcompensated for her size by putting on a tough front. When she was younger, she always wanted to appear cool and collected, and sometimes even aloof. The friends she made at the school had fixed that, but her “softer” impulses that cropped up sometimes still embarrassed her.

But, rather than embarrass her further, Ember just smiled at Smolder and said, “Thank you, Smolder. One day you’ll also find your destined mate, and you’ll get to experience the same.”

Smolder blushed a bit deeper, but smiled at us. “Yeah…I hope so. A-anyway, what are you two up to right now?”

I shrugged as I released Ember from my grasp. “Nothing at the moment, just wandering around while Ember’s mother talks to the rest of the herd. Why, did you have something in mind?”

Smolder walked past us and said, “Yeah, I figured you both could join me for a dip in the lava pits. It’ll pass the time, and I bet you, Spike, haven’t really gotten to enjoy a dip in hot magma over in Equestria.”

I chuckled at that. “Nah, not so much. We don’t have any active volcanoes in Equestria, so the best we can do is superheat some water. Even then, with how fast it evaporates, I can only enjoy it for a few minutes, and I can still barely feel it.”

Smolder laughed. “Well, I guess you need to visit more often, then. Equestria has its perks, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not exactly built for dragons.”

“Twilight’s getting a portal network together, so I will be,” I advised with a conspiratorial smile. “Once the portal gates are up and running, it’ll be a lot easier for all of us to visit each other. You’ll be able to more easily visit all your friends, and I’ll be able to walk back and forth between our two lands to make sure I’m a more tangible presence in Ember’s life, so that the dragons around here can get used to me.”

“And then you two can start popping out some whelps,” Smolder joked, only to stop when we were silent. She glanced back at us and raised a brow. “Wow, really? That was a joke, but you two are already thinking about it?”

“Guess you’ll be ‘Auntie Smolder’ faster than you think,” I teased, my smile widening at the increasingly-appealing thought of having children of my own.

Smolder went back to leading us to the lava pits as she shot back, “Ember and I aren’t related, Spike. I’ll be a friend of the family, and nothing more. Still…I guess it’d be kinda cool to get to see your whelps grow up in such a diverse family. Far as I know, no dragon before you has grown up with ponies, so this’ll be breaking ground in new territory. Your whelps will grow up in a herd with a dragon mother, multiple pony aunts, and a changeling queen. Sounds like that could be pretty cool, and your whelp will be very worldly.”

“That’s what I’m hoping for,” I agreed, giving a firm nod. “While I had wonderful teachers and a childhood friend to grow up with, there were plenty of things about being a dragon that no one could help me with. But, with me and Ember being a part of its life, my hope is that our whelp will be far better adjusted than I was, and far less awkward than Ember.” An angry snort from the blue dragoness answered me, which only caused me to laugh and bump into Ember’s shoulder. “What? It’s true, but you’re also getting better. My hope is to spare our whelps from that same awkwardness by getting them used to all that stuff early in life. With your help, they’ll still be true dragons, but they’ll also be adjusted to Equestrian life so that they can easily live in either of our homes.”

Ember squinted at me for a few moments before turning her gaze ahead of us again. “Well…I guess that’s fair. However, they’ll need to stay here until they get old enough to handle cooler temperatures. For a young dragon not like you, cold can be deadly.”

I shrugged. “I understand. I was especially susceptible to cold when I was little, so I know what that’s like.”

We continued our short journey in silence for a few minutes before coming upon a deep depression in the ground, where open lava pits could be seen. This was, of course, a very popular place for dragons to lounge about, so there were a few dozen dragons of varying sizes and colors all enjoying the relaxing heat generated from the molten rock. Off in the far distance, we could all see the massive bulk of Torch lounging in his own private lava lake, which was only big enough for him, but he wasn’t paying any attention to us, which I was just fine with. I quickly got undressed and placed my folded clothes behind a rocky outcropping before following the other two dragonesses down into the lava pits. The dragons already there were, of course, watching me intently, but I was used to the stares by now. At least it wasn’t the disdainful stare of the nobles in Canterlot, and there were relatively few outright gawking dragons. Besides that, a glare and challenging growl from Ember worked pretty well to get them to mind their own business, so our short walk down into the lava itself was unobstructed.

Immediately upon stepping into the lava pool, I released a pleased groan as heat penetrated my thick hide and warmed me to my core. The lava was hot and thin enough that I could submerge my body without popping up to the surface like a bobber, and the novelty of experiencing the dragon version of a hot tub was doing a great job of relaxing away all my woes. Not that I had many woes in life, but it was a wonderful feeling nonetheless. My comfort was further augmented by the lovely sensation of Ember mounting my lap and holding me as we sat in the pit, which made everything even better.

The quiet was only momentarily broken when Smolder half-warned, “You both are drawing quite a few eyes this way.”

“Let them stare,” Ember commented without a care. “Spike is my mate, and I’m going to treat him as such. Maybe they can stop being such scaredy-drakes and actually talk to me about it. Until then, I’m going to enjoy the moments I can spend with him.” Ember cracked open an eye to look at Smolder, who looked a little nervous, and laughed. “I’m not gonna mate with him in public or anything Smolder, so calm down. I’m just not going to refrain from touching or hugging my mate in public, simply because the clan is used to me not having a mate.”

“You know there’s also going to be a few drakes that are gonna be upset,” I pointed out, closing my eyes and relishing in the warmth of the lava, and the sensation of Ember’s body pressing against my own. “Not that I care, but I imagine they’re going to try and throw their weight around and get me to leave. Hasn’t happened yet, but that doesn’t mean it won’t happen.”

“They can shove it up their tailholes,” Ember grunted with a snort. She turned her head slightly, opening the eye closest to me as she smiled. “You’re mine, and I’m never letting you go. Besides: they’d have to contend with Twilight if they try to come between us, and she’s scarier than I am.”

“Alicorns are freaks of nature,” I commented without hesitation. “Ridiculously powerful, basically immortal, all wrapped up in a soft, fluffy package. I mean, going off of how goofy and regular my mom seemed, would you ever think she could glass an entire continent?”

“Glass?” Smolder asked in confusion.

I nodded. “Meaning she could superheat the entire landmass to a temperature that would essentially turn everything to obsidian when it cooled. She told me one time when she was younger she created a miniature black hole when she lost control during a moment of emotion and compressed a wooden cup past its schwarzhoof radius.” The silence that answered me caused me to open my eyes, and found both dragonesses staring at me with a complete lack of comprehension. “Oh, uh, the schwarzhoof radius is a volume within which, if you compress all of an object’s mass, it turns into a black hole*.” The continued lack of comprehension caused me to venture, “...neither of you know what a black hole is, do you?”

“I have a feeling you’re going to tell us,” Ember said with a smile.

I chuckled and nodded. “Okay, allow me to teach both of you about some of the things Equestria has discovered regarding physics.”


After thoroughly breaking the brains of the two dragonesses (and a few of the other nearby dragons that were eavesdropping, but trying to act like they weren’t), the three of us were again wandering around Ember’s home as she gave me a brief tour. There wasn’t much to see honestly, but only because anything of note was kept in the hoards of dragons that owned the things. For obvious reasons, dragons weren’t big on buildings or public accommodations, which would make attempts at future visits from other races difficult. Due to the lack of hotels, motels, or even taverns, any visitors to the dragon lands would need to stay with a dragon in their home, and it went without saying that most dragons were against that. These shortcomings and others were some of the things Ember was trying to change, but when working with dragons, change came slow.

Eventually however, we found our way back to where we left the herd, noticing that Purple Spinel was still resting on her basking spot, her tail lazily waving back and forth like a metronome as she focused her attention on what could only be my herd down below her. Turning the corner confirmed my suspicion, and it seemed Twilight and Applejack were regaling the elder dragoness with stories of our exploits back in Equestria. As a race that didn’t put much stock in books (paper burns very easily, after all), verbal stories were something dragons of all ages enjoyed. Upon getting closer, I discovered Twilight was telling the first story we all had together: the return of Nightmare Moon, and the cleansing and return of Princess Luna. It goes without saying that, by this point, pretty much the entire world knew the story, but it was a different experience altogether to get the story straight from the mouths of the individuals that lived it.

“And so I charged her.”

Purple Spinel gasped in genuine surprise. “You charged at Nightmare Moon? What were you thinking?”

Twilight shrugged helplessly. “I thought I was alone, and I had to do something. At the last second, I teleported behind her, and tried to ignite the Elements of Harmony with a spark of magic. But…that didn’t work. I misunderstood what the ‘spark’ actually was. The stones crumbled, and I thought all was lost. Just as I started to despair, I heard the girls coming up the stairs, and I realized that was the spark. It was the spark of friendship within me, within all of us, that was the catalyst for the Elements of Harmony, and our bond together.”

Applejack nodded with a pleased grin. “Ah’ll readily admit Ah didn’t believe all that ‘Elements of Harmony’ business until that moment, but as soon as Ah saw Twilight standin’ there, willin’ to fight for all of Equestria, alone if she had to, I knew she was a good apple. And Ah also knew Ah’d follow her ‘t Tartarus n’ back.”

“Which we have done, by the way,” Twilight added.

The elder dragoness tilted her head. “Wait, wha-”

“But, as I realized each of those mares were my true friends, the true spark ignited, and the Elements of Harmony were revealed to us,” Twilight finished, smiling broadly. “Through the power of friendship, the Elements of Harmony purified Nightmare Moon, bringing Princess Luna back, and ending the everlasting night.”

Purple Spinel noticed our approach, and slowly rolled her eye over to us. Without hesitation, she said, “Ember, these ponies are insane. They must be, to think things like this are normal.”

“Normal is boring,” Ember said, unknowingly copying Twilight from earlier that morning. Twilight’s ears perked up, and she smiled at her fellow herdmate, though neither dragonesses knew why.

From her place lounging on a stone bench, Rarity flipped her mane and smiled up at Purple Spinel. “During times of strife, heroes and heroines are born. It just so happens that we were able to be those heroines. While I would in no way wish strife upon our nations just for some of us to find the courage to stand firm in the face of unspeakable odds, I would also not trade the experiences I have had for all the gold and jewels on the planet. It made us into who we are today, so I cannot find it within myself to regret a single moment of it.”

“Granny would say they were tests of character, ‘n we passed ‘em,” Applejack added, leaning against the white unicorn as she chuckled. “Don’t get me wrong: Ah love peace ‘n quiet, but even tha hard parts were worth it, b’cause it led us here.”

“We’d have never met Ember,” I concluded, leaning over to lay a chaste kiss on my dragoness’ cheek as I smiled up at her mother. “I wouldn’t be the drake I am today without everything we went through, the good and the bad. Ember seems to think I’m worthy of being her mate, so I can’t find it in myself to regret any of it either. Even the hard parts -- especially the hard parts -- made us strong, resilient, resourceful people, and the world needs more people like that.”

Purple Spinel nodded thoughtfully with a gentle smile. “On this we can agree. I believe Ember will need your support as she works to put dragons onto a new path, and though I worry about what Equestrians consider ‘normal,’ I can also see all of you are upstanding individuals with good moral codes who want what is best for everyone.”

“We’re not perfect by any means, but we try,” Fluttershy spoke up, likely for the first time since meeting Ember’s mother. “Sometimes, just trying to help can be enough to bring others around, so we make an attempt to help whenever we can.” The quiet, demure words were completed with Fluttershy’s signature adorable awkwardness, which included fidgeting with her hands and hiding behind her wings.

Purple Spinel nodded absently as she absorbed the words, though she seemed unable to give words to what she was feeling. Eventually, she broke the silence. “Ember?”

“Yeah, mom?”

“Is it normal to want to pick up this pony and hug her like those plushies Smolder brought back with her?” Purple Spinel asked, more than a little confused at what she was feeling. I couldn’t help but smirk at the thought: no one, of any race, seemed to be immune to Fluttershy’s adorable mannerisms. If the mare had evil intentions, she truly could rule the world.

Ember outright laughed at her mother, who actually looked a bit offended at the outburst. It took a moment, but eventually Ember reigned in her giggles enough to answer, “Y-yeah, that’s normal mom. Fluttershy kinda brings that out of people.” Ember walked over to the pegasus in question and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, squeezing the mare against her side as she squeaked adorably. Ember looked pleased with herself when Fluttershy let loose that adorable little purring sound she made when she was especially happy. “Just think of what we could accomplish if we could somehow weaponize this amount of cuteness.”

Purple Spinel raised her brow high once again, clearly surprised by her daughter. “I’ve never heard you willingly call anything ‘cute’ before. These Equestrians truly have changed you, Ember.”

Ember blushed even as she continued to hold Fluttershy, but neither denied it nor drew away from her herdmate. Instead, she held her mother’s gaze and nodded firmly. “Yeah, I guess they have. But I’m also happy. Finding some things -- or ponies -- cute doesn’t make me less of a dragon, and it also doesn’t mean I’m going to go soft on my plans to push our people into a new golden age. I know most dragons don’t believe it yet, but Equestria has a lot to teach us about how to be a strong, modern nation, and we’d be stupid to ignore that. Yeah, I got a personal stake in Equestria now, but again: it makes me happy. That’s…not a problem, is it?”

Ember’s mother reached her long neck and lowered her head down to gently nuzzle her daughter briefly before pulling away again. “Never, Ember. Again, I cannot claim to understand all of this completely, but I can see how happy and fulfilled this life makes you. You’re more than mature enough to make your own decisions with your own life, and I can see that it isn’t a detriment to our people. Now,” she snorted loudly, tossing her head off to the side, toward the lava lake in the distance, “we just have to get that through your father’s overly-thick skull.”

“Do you think witnessing the fight between Princess Luna and Sapphira might change his mind?” Twilight ventured.

Purple Spinel shrugged her shoulders. “It would at the very least convince him that not all ponies are soft, delicate things, but dragons already know alicorns are not to be trifled with. I believe the best thing you can do is out-stubborn him. If he sees his disapproval does not stop you, he will have to confront you about it, and then you can make it clear that you will not allow him to dictate how you live your life. He will be unhappy with you for a little while, and he will likely bellow as he normally does, but eventually, he will have no choice but to accept this new life of yours. Whether he likes it or not, your life is your own to live.”

“And yer sure he ain’t gonna stir up trouble b’cause’ve it?” Applejack asked, which was a very valid question.

Thankfully, Purple Spinel shook her head. “No. Torch is far more direct than that. He will grumble and yell, but if that doesn’t work, he won’t bother trying to cause trouble with all of you. It wouldn’t be worth the effort, especially if it drove away his daughter. He puts on a tough front, even to his daughter, but Torch adores Ember and would rather give ground on his own beliefs than lose her. Make no mistake: he will fight this, but as long as all of you stand firm, he will eventually come around.”

Ember smiled and nodded. “Thanks for being so cool about this, mom. Did you need anything before we leave?”

Purple Spinel laughed softly and shook her head. “I have a strong, capable daughter who is happy and fulfilled. I think I have everything I need at the moment. Run along, Ember. Tend to your herd for now. Other than appearing tomorrow for you to present them to the clan, I believe the day is yours to do with as you wish. Let me handle your father for now.”

Ember held her smile. “Thanks mom. I’ll see you later, then.” As she passed me, she grasped my hand and pulled me along. “C’mon, let’s get settled in for the day. There won’t be much to do until tomorrow, so today’s gonna be pretty lazy. I cleared the day as far as work is concerned, so I’m yours to do with as you wish.”

I raised my brow at that. “Really now? I like the sound of that.”

“That’s a rather obvious double entendre there, dear,” Rarity commented with a smirk. “Getting a little hot under the collar with your mate here, hm?”

Ember defied my expectations by shrugging with no blush in sight. “What can I say? I missed my mate. I spent months savoring his touch every day, only to suddenly be forced to be without it for a week. I refuse to apologize for wanting to enjoy the presence of my mate. If I had the choice, neither of us would leave the bedroom for days.”

Everyone present blushed, including me, and Fluttershy whispered “Oh my goodness,” even as she smiled approvingly at the dragoness.

Ember glanced back at the group, smirking as she said, “By the way: I was serious when I said I wanted to start a family with Spike soon. Probably within the next few months here, we’re going to be very busy, if you catch my meaning. Basically until I can feel the egg growing within me, we’ll be mating as much as we physically can. It will also need to happen here, since I’ll need to be in my larger form to ensure the egg is created at the proper size. Needless to say, Equestria as a whole isn’t exactly built for full-size dragons mating.”

While the others worked to control their embarrassment at the casual talk of sex, I couldn’t help it as my jaw dropped open in shock. Just a few months ago, Ember wouldn’t have been able to talk about such things, especially around others, without stuttering and blushing. Now, she was doing so as if it was the most normal thing in the world.

Lyla was thankfully thinking along the same lines I was, and had the wherewithal to be able to speak without jumbling her words up, like I would have. “Y’know, half a year ago, this kind of subject would have had you practically hiding behind your wings in embarrassment.”

“I have all of you to thank for that,” Ember commented without hesitation. “You’ve corrupted a dragonlord; I hope you’re all happy with yourselves.” She shrugged again. “Any modesty I had around all of you kinda disappeared when both you and Twilight watched Spike and I mate, while giving us pointers.”

Oh right, that happened. How the hay had I forgotten about that?

“You were mating in my library,” Twilight countered, her blush deepening. “Of all the places I would go to relax, the library is number one. We have bedrooms for that kind of fun, but you all decided to use a room designed for reading books. That was your fault, not mine.”

Ember turned her head a bit to catch the eye of the changeling queen. “What’s your excuse, Lyla?”

Lyla shrugged nonchalantly. “I sensed a great deal of love, and I was interested. Once Twilight decided to start advising the two of you, and you took that advice, I decided to do the same. You can’t tell me you didn’t enjoy yourself.”

Now, Ember did blush a little. “Well…yeah, I did. It opened my eyes to a new world that’s normal for ponies, apparently. For all my misgivings, it was really nice. I will say, however, that is one aspect of Equestria that most dragons will not be comfortable with. As it was happening, it was very strange, and only Spike’s passion and reassurances kept me from leaving.”

“Which was why we didn’t join in, Ember,” Twilight explained, speeding up to stand on Ember’s unoccupied side, and wrapping an arm around the dragoness’ waist as we continued our journey. “Had either of us been so inclined, it would have been normal for us to join the two of you to make the whole experience that much better. I could tell, however, that just the two of us being there was already enough for you to handle, so we kept our involvement restricted only to verbal encouragement or suggestions, to let you get used to our presence.” She then smiled up at Ember. “However, in the future, you might find a hand or two adding some extra stimulation here and there, or some lips teasing you in places that Spike isn’t currently lending his attention.”

The blush Ember had deepened to a level we rarely saw, and she giggled self-consciously even as we continued walking. “Y-you know, half a year ago, I wouldn’t even have considered that, but now, I’ll admit that I find myself being kinda interested. You all have shown me that you’re in no way trying to hurt or use me, so I have no reason not to trust you when you say this is normal, and it could be really nice. Just…don’t expect me to return the favor, y’know. I don’t think I’m there quite yet.”

“Even if you never feel comfortable reciprocating, you are still our treasure,” Rarity purred, giggling like a filly at the adorably embarrassed expression Ember was sporting. “As what Equestrians call a ‘bent mare’ -- which is slang for a mare that is only attracted to males -- I understand having no desire to mate with another female. If you end up being the same type of dragoness, you’ll find no one here will judge you for it, and with me, you will be in good company. You will remain our treasured dragoness, and you will be loved and cared for regardless of who or what your sexual desires include. Sex is only a relatively small part of a healthy relationship, after all.”

As Ember’s cave came into view, we all released a collective sigh of relief and walked inside without hesitation. While it was nice to check out Ember’s home, the blowup with Torch left a sour taste in our mouths. There was also the fact that I believe I wasn’t the only one that wanted to ensure we were well-rested for the following day. If Torch, a dragon that loved Ember, reacted the way he did, it was a safe bet the rest of the dragons might not be so restrained in their condemnations. For all we knew, there might be an attempted attack on us for “disrespect” or something. Besides that, Ember wasn’t exactly unattractive, and it would be foolish to think she didn’t have any male dragons pining after her. And, since dragons believed they were entitled to have what they fought for, it might be that I would be challenged by a drake or two while we were there.

“Hey Ember?” I hesitantly began.

The dragoness turned her head to look at me just as we entered the cave once more. “Yes?”

I rolled my shoulders to ease some of the tension. “Have you had suitors before? Like, other drakes that never became your mate, but were interested in you.”

Ember frowned briefly as she thought. “Yeah, dozens. And those were only the ones that approached me. As the daughter of Torch and the dragon lord of my clan, it goes without saying that I’m a mate that’s been well sought-after.”

“Okay, then that might be a problem,” I said with a grimace.

Ember smiled cheekily at me. “Why, are you a little possessive?”

Chuckling self-consciously, I rubbed the back of my neck. “K-kinda, but that’s not what I was hinting at. What I’m suggesting is that those drakes aren’t likely to just accept that not only do you have a mate -- multiple mates, at that -- but that we’re all outsiders. Part of the uproar that’s likely to happen will be because you chose me, an outsider, over a dragon from the dragon lands.”

Ember raised a claw and opened her mouth to counter my argument, only to slowly lower her hand and groan as she pressed her face into her hands as I led her along into the cave. “Ugh, I hadn’t thought of that. You’re probably going to get challenged to a fight at some point.”

“Do I have to accept it?”

Ember shook her head, still frowning. “...no, but the drake that challenges you might claim you’re a coward if you decline. I know you don’t really care about that, but it might look bad if you refuse the challenge.”

I rolled my jaw a bit, thinking over the problem. On the one hand, I didn’t like fighting if I didn’t have to, and preferred to beat my opponents in less dangerous ways. On the other hand, this wasn’t just about me. I didn’t want to do anything that was going to make things more difficult for Ember or the clan, especially with the fact she was going to be revealing quite the bombshell to all of them the following day. Because things would already be tense, I had to admit it might be unavoidable that I’d have to accept such a challenge to keep things from getting worse. And, if it was an older dragon, I would need to fight dirty to win. I would feel kinda slimy if it came to that, but all that mattered in the eyes of a dragon is who won. If you were stupid enough to fall for a dirty trick or not protect yourself from a “low blow,” that was your own fault.

With a deep groan of annoyance, I rhetorically asked, “I’m gonna have to fight, aren’t I? That’s just fantastic.”

“I’m not a fan of Spike getting into a fight, dear,” Rarity voiced from her place in one corner of the room, where her bags sat and she did her best to organize them without a chest of drawers.

Ember sighed heavily and plopped down on the ground, unbothered by the bare stone. “Neither am I, and I’m a dragon. This stuff is normal for me, and I still don’t like it.” Ember graduated to completely laying down on her back, her eyes blankly staring up at the ceiling. “However, like I suggested, it could make things worse if he doesn’t accept the challenge. As I’m sure Twilight will agree, politics make everything more complicated, and that even includes dragons. We don’t have a noble class, courtiers, or anything like that, but to a certain degree, we are all beholden to the will of the clan, and honor is a big deal as well. If you dishonor yourself enough, the clan can even recommend you be exiled.”

Rarity tilted her head a bit, her lips twisting into a slight frown. “Is it not dishonorable to challenge a random dragon to a fight?”

“Not if they aren’t formally a part of the clan,” Ember explained, snorting hard enough to blow smoke into the air above her. “If it was me they challenged, or any of the other established members of the clan, that would be very rude. However, since Spike is only technically a part of the clan due to me claiming him, he is ‘up for grabs,’ so to speak. And, even after I present all of you to the clan tomorrow, since he doesn’t have any standing within the clan by his own merit, certain dragons might think it’s fair he has to prove himself.” Just as Rarity opened her mouth again, Ember added, “And before you say it, a dragon lord is not a ruler. We are guides or leaders, but not rulers. Our place within the clan is to guide it toward what we believe is the best course for our people, but no dragon is going to just follow along blindly. So, while I could voice my disapproval if and when a dragon should challenge Spike, that doesn’t mean much. I haven’t been a dragon lord long enough for my disapproval alone to deter clan members from doing something stupid.”

“Princess Celestia can do that,” Twilight commented, reclining on the bed she had brought with us. “I’m kinda jealous of it, actually. She says I’ll get there one day, but I just can’t see a pony like me having that kind of effect on others.”

Fluttershy took the seat next to Twilight, and wrapped a wing around her as she snuggled up to the alicorn. “Twilight, don’t put yourself down like that. People love you all across the world. You shouldn’t aim to be like Princess Celestia, because you’re you. You know Princess Celestia would say something along the lines of her guiding you to become the best you, not another her.”

Twilight sighed deeply as she wrapped the pegasus in an embrace, gently laying her chin atop the other’s head. “I know, but she was also my mentor for years. Sometimes I can’t help but compare myself to her, and to a lesser degree, Luna. I really try not to, but during the times I feel like a floundering little filly who has no idea what she’s doing, I look to their examples for guidance.”

While she didn’t join in the hug, Applejack plopped herself on the bed as well, laying back and enjoying the softness. “Princess Celestia wouldn’tve given all’a this responsibility to ya iffin she didn’ think you were ready. Sure, ya had tha wings ‘n ev’rything, but that don’ mean ya just get responsibility put on ya. Cadence was a alicorn f’r years before tha Crystal Empire returned, ‘n her only real responsibility was foalsittin’ ya.”

Twilight raised her finger and opened her mouth to respond, only to close it a moment later with a huff. “...yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“You don’t honestly think that all that unflappable calm and confidence just comes with being an alicorn, do you?” Lyla rhetorically asked. “No: it comes with living for a ridiculously long time, making a lot of mistakes, but coming out the other side wise and experienced. It’s going to take time for you to get to that point, so there’s no need to compare yourself with another alicorn that’s at least a thousand years older than you.”

Twilight stuck her lip out in a pout, even as she still held Fluttershy against her. “You all are making too much sense, and I hate that you know me well enough to know I respond more to facts and logic than I do kind platitudes and emotional comfort.” She then glanced at the pink mane still laid against her. “Well…mostly, anyway.”

“We call it the ‘Twilight 80/20 rule’,” Lyla said as she absently wandered around the cave, taking in the treasure hoard off to the side.

Twilight finally released Fluttershy, but remained seated as she cocked her head to one side. “And what’s that, exactly?”

“It means any time you’re distraught or panicking about something, you tend to respond best to a helping of 80% facts and logic, with 20% emotional comfort and understanding,” Rarity explained just as she finished organizing her luggage so she would be able to more easily find what she needed.

Twilight could only stare as her mouth slowly dropped open. Eventually, her mouth snapped shut, and she carefully ventured, “D-did you seriously use math to figure out how to make me feel better?”

Rarity giggled daintily. “Use it? No. And it's an estimation more than anything. I just thought it would be entertaining for you to think we do.”

Despite her previous confusion, Twilight still smiled. “...fine, I do find it a little funny. Thank you, girls.”

“It seems every day there’s a mini-friendship lesson with all of you,” Ember whispered to me.

I shrugged with a grin. “Our friendship has solved a lot of problems, and Twilight is the princess of friendship. This is pretty normal, in all honesty. Friendship and understanding has become a cornerstone of Equestrian culture, furthered by Twilight’s work directly. Sure, before Twilight we had small pockets of different creatures and cultures here and there, but only recently has Equestria become far more diverse in the races you can find within the borders. There is still a distinctly ‘Equestrian’ culture that everyone subscribes to, but Equestria is no longer only a pony nation.”

Ember was smiling in a way that she always did whenever she was profoundly pleased. She followed this with an affectionate lick at my brand, which sent electric tingles all throughout my body. I reflexively wrapped my arm around her and held the dragoness close to me, and for a few moments, we just enjoyed the mutual embrace and a return to what we now considered normal.

“I guess I can’t be too snarky about it, though,” Ember murmured, closing her eyes as she took a deep whiff of my scent. “After all: Twilight’s ideals of friendship passed on to you, and if not for that, we would have never met. Knowing what I know now, I don’t want to imagine the possibility of us never meeting at that pivotal moment in our lives. I would have never become a dragon lord, you would have never unknowingly proposed to me in front of the whole clan, and I never would have met you until years later, if not centuries.” She shivered a bit, and not because of a cold breeze. “So much could have gone so differently if not for that moment. It’s almost like it was-”

“Destiny,” I finished, nodding a bit. “I’ve seen too many things happen in just the perfect way in my life to not believe in some form of destiny. First, there was Twilight and the others becoming the embodiments of the Elements of Harmony, then there was me deciding to follow my instincts and go to the dragon lands when Torch called the dragons home, and even me being the first to befriend who would become the new leader of the changelings. All of it seemed almost preordained, like those things had to happen for the world to keep going.”

Ember hummed happily when I started running my hand down her side, ending with a possessive squeeze of her firm behind, which earned me a squeak-turned-moan that she just barely kept quiet. After taking a moment to enjoy the treatment, Ember explained, “Dragons don’t really believe in destiny in broad terms. Other than our destined mates, dragons are taught that everything in life is ultimately of our own making. As creatures that pride ourselves on strength and power, it makes sense we would avoid a concept that suggests some things are out of our control.”

I shrugged again with a soft laugh. “I don’t know, I think it’s kinda nice to know that I can never screw up something that’s meant to happen bad enough that it won’t happen. I mean, at least when we’re not talking about time travel. Bring that concept into the mix, and things get very complicated, very fast.”

Ember reached up and rubbed her temple with a grimace. “Yeah, I still remember the headache I got from Twilight trying to explain causal loops, predestination paradoxes, and so on. I’ll leave the heavy thinking to her, to be safe.”

I was well aware of the fact that when Twilight was really excited about something, she would often talk right over other people’s heads without even realizing she was doing it. I had learned a long time ago to just smile and nod until she was done, which was usually when she’d realize I had only absorbed about 10% of what she’d been talking about.

“Twilight’s always done that,” I reminded her. “It was part of the reason she didn’t have many friends when we were little. Sure, there was the fact that she had trouble relating to others of her own age, but there was also the fact that she plain just didn’t have much in common with others. For her, it was like trying to explain something like astrophysics to an ant: it doesn’t matter how simple you make things, an ant will never understand what you’re talking about. For Twilight, that’s what it was like trying to talk to other ponies about the things she was interested in.”

Ember glanced over at our alicorn mate and frowned. “That must have been very difficult for her.”

I nodded solemnly. “It was. I think all of us go through a period of adaptation early in life so that we can relate to others, but for Twilight, it’s a struggle she fights every day of her life. Twilight once explained it as being a ‘natural-born alien’: she was undoubtedly born on this planet, but it’s like her mind and very essence are alien, and she just isn’t like others. She has to make conscious choices every day in order to fit in, because if she doesn’t, she fears she’ll drive away others.” Glancing at the alicorn again, I sighed. “I think that’s part of the reason mom sent me to live with Twilight. Twilight needed someone that would pull her out of her comfort zone and ensure she didn’t forget about the rest of the world. Also, as a ‘normal’ person, I could help her learn to fit in with normal society. Had it not been for me, Twilight would have easily spent weeks or months at a time studying in isolation, unaware the world was moving on without her. I believe part of what made her the Princess of Friendship was that making friends has never been easy for Twilight. She’s unintentionally short or abrasive with people she doesn’t know, especially when she’s busy with a task, and struggles to consider or even understand how others might feel at any point in time. I think that because she has to put in so much effort, she was blessed with that title, because effort is far more important than natural talent, in my opinion.”

“But don’t cutie marks represent natural talent? Isn’t that kinda the thing in Equestria?” Ember asked, confused.

I shrugged helplessly. “Yeah, but I think the focus on what one’s ‘special talent’ is shoehorns a lot of ponies into one very narrow path in life. I’ve met more than my share of ponies that follow their cutie marks, but have many other talents that could have taken them far in life. Don’t get me wrong: a pony’s special talent is important, and one who ignores it generally ends up unfulfilled, but many ponies make the mistake of only focussing on their talent once they find it, even going so far as to forsake whatever other interests they might have had beforehand.”

Ember nodded slowly. “I see. So, in your opinion, ponies put far too much emphasis on their special talent, and often leave other skills by the wayside as a result.”

I bobbed my head a bit. “Kinda, yeah. Not every pony does so, but Equestrian culture has placed a huge amount of importance on finding your special talent and getting your cutie mark. In certain counties, for example, a pony is not legally considered an adult until they have a cutie mark. It’s part of the reason the Cutie Mark Crusaders made getting their cutie marks such a big deal.” I shrugged, adjusting my head to more comfortably rest against Ember’s horns. “I mean, I do think it’s cool that Equestria and the concept of cutie marks teaches ponies that everyone, no matter how seemingly unimportant, is unique and has something to offer the world. I just think many ponies unintentionally pigeonhole themselves when they discover their special talent.” Ember’s nearly-silent sound of confusion prompted me to explain. “It means that they quickly and rigidly assign a classification to themselves. Like, as soon as they discover their cutie mark, they lock themselves into one road in life and ignore everything that might have been outside of it.”

“You seem to feel pretty strongly about this,” Ember noted idly.

“Maybe. It’s just, as a creature that will never get a cutie mark, I’ve gotten to discover many talents I have, and I enjoy all of them,” I explained, letting out a long breath. “I don’t know, maybe I’m just being silly.”

“No,” Ember said, snuggled against me, “it shows you care. I love that about you.”

We sat in silence for a little bit, before I laughed and said, “Y’know, if nothing else, for the next few days, we’ll get to just snuggle together every moment you’re not doing something for the clan. Since Twilight and I are technically ‘on leave,’ we have no responsibilities for these few days.”

“And I love that,” Ember immediately concluded with a happy sigh. “It’s like you said: adult life can often get in the way of the things we really want to be doing.”

“Which is why we have to make sure we don’t waste the time we have,” I finished, kissing the top of her head and just enjoying the closeness.


The herd, minus Ember, remained in the cave, occupying ourselves with a little impromptu card game courtesy of Applejack. Meanwhile, we tried to ignore the rumbles that would shake the cave every now and then, and the fact they came from the booming voice of a certain dragon father, instead of minor earthquakes. Though I suppose, technically, if the earth was shaking, it was still an earthquake. Did the source of the energy matter if the ground still moved? I guess it didn’t matter in the end, but I was doing anything I could to distract myself from my instincts that were screaming at me to go and defend my mate, because I knew that in doing so, I would make things much worse. I wasn’t enough of a fool to think I could take on Torch, after all.

“Got any threes?”

“Go fish.”

Applejack sighed and reached to the deck, pulling a card. Finding a match in her hand, she laid a pair of cards face down to her side, as she wiggled to get a bit more comfortable with her head laying on my thigh. I absently reached down and gave her mane a comb-through with my claws, ending with a cheeky pinch of her fuzzy ear, earning me a squeak and a blush, which made me smile. Sure, it was foalish of me, but the little bit of foalishness helped to settle the tense atmosphere a little bit. It also helped to settle my instincts, and so kept me from doing something stupid.

A moment later, the rumbling stopped, causing all of us to raise our heads questioningly. No one spoke a word as we waited, until I finally joked, “Well, either they’re done screaming at each other for now, or one knocked out the other.”

“If Ember shows up bruised again, Torch is going to find out what it’s like to be buried under a mountain,” Twilight snarked, though I could tell she was only half kidding. The alicorn didn’t look particularly happy about the prospect of Ember being injured again, by her own father no less. I think we all knew the chances of Torch harming his daughter were very low, but never zero.

A few minutes after that, Ember stomped into the den again and paced for a minute, mumbling to herself angrily, before walking over and plopping herself down between Twilight and I. We all noted that, thankfully, Ember was no worse for the wear, but was clearly frustrated. Twilight wasted no time in cuddling up to the dragoness, and I wrapped a wing around both of their shoulders, holding them close.

After a few moments of silently fuming, Ember finally spoke. “My father is just so…ugh! I’m a dragonlord in my own right, so he has no right to try and dictate how I live my life! It…it’s not…”

“Fair?” Rarity ventured knowingly. The dragoness took a moment to meet her eyes, but when she did, Rarity offered Ember a tired smile. “When has life ever been fair, darling? We cannot control what life will throw at us, or who may stand in our way.”

“But we can always decide how we’ll face those challenges,” Fluttershy finished, receiving an approving nod from the herd’s alpha mare.

Twilight gave Ember an affectionate nuzzle before sighing. “You can’t force anyone to change their minds, but you can certainly choose how you will behave. Loving your parents doesn’t mean you must agree with everything they say or believe, and nor does it offer you those same things. Disagreements happen, even between family members, especially when the child begins making his or her own life in the world. It’s a scary time for any good parent, and while your father’s behavior isn’t exactly ideal, it’s clear his behavior is borne from love for you.”

“Love can be toxic, Twilight. Even I know that,” Ember grumped, but didn’t move away from the embrace. “He can have all the love in the world for me, but if it drives him to do stupid things, it’s not a good thing. I can certainly understand that he’s scared, and that he just wants me to be safe, but the world isn’t safe. Whether it be by a broken heart or by a meteor, something, somewhere, somehow, is going to hurt me. Suffering is a part of life.”

Applejack shifted to sit up, running a hand through her mane to settle it a bit before looking over at us. “Y’all will understand when ya have little ones’a yer own. Ah ain’t been a mama yet, but Ah helped raise ‘Bloom, ‘n Ah can confirm that love can make ya do some pretty mean things, even ‘t those ya care about. Ya gotta be careful ‘n make sure yer maternal need to protect yer little one don’t keep ‘em from growin’. None’a us are gonna be around f’rever, so our jobs are ta make sure our youngins can survive in tha world without us. Parents are just regular people like tha rest of us, ‘n just like them, you’ll make m’stakes too.”

I could tell that as much as Ember wanted to argue that point, she knew she couldn’t, because she just pouted and crossed her arms over her chest. It was downright adorable when Ember would get all pouty about certain things, and while I did my best not to poke fun at her, I enjoyed it every time it happened. Ember was far more cute than she would ever believe.

Deciding to push the conversation on to less aggravating things, Twilight asked, “So what’s the plan for tomorrow?”

Glancing up at the alicorn, Ember pursed her lips as she thought for a moment. “Well…dragons aren’t exactly early risers, so I think we’ll probably do it some time around midday. Everyone should be awake and aware by then, and will have eaten their first meal of the day. So, dragons that aren’t hungry or sleepy will probably be more agreeable. I still bet quite a few of them are going to make a fuss, but the more comfortable they are at the time, the better.”

Nosing Ember’s temple, I whispered, “I just want you to know that I’m proud of you. I can tell you’re worried, but you’re doing it anyway. That’s the kind of strength of character that makes me feel privileged to be your mate.”

I felt the dragoness warm up as she blushed, but she smiled regardless. “And the fact all of you are willing to stand beside me, in the face of a bunch of dragons no less, makes me proud to call all of you friends and mates as well.”

At least in private, Ember no longer stammered or blushed when referring to everyone present as her mates, having apparently completely accepted the fact and was even enjoying it. True, she hadn’t shown any obvious inclination of physical attraction to any of the others, but that didn’t matter. A herd, after all, wasn’t solely about sex and procreation. A herd was a family, a support structure, that made every member safer and stronger. It was like friendship, but even better.

“So, what’re we playing?” Ember continued, sitting up a little straighter to look over the cards gathered.

Twilight and I gave her some room, though we still stayed close enough to touch. The alicorn waved a hand over the circle and said, “Right now, just ‘Go Fish,’ which is essentially a simple matching card game. We know many others though, if you would like to learn. It’ll pass the time, if nothing else.”

Ember tossed a quick smile to Twilight, so the alicorn began a quick explanation of the rules of the game while her magic deposited the cards in my lap to shuffle. I went about my assigned task and mentally prepared myself for a nice night with my herd, confident that whatever might come the next day, we could and would face it together.

Comments ( 40 )

Can't wait for the next chapter. any idea how many chapters away the fight between Luna and Saphhira is?

Oh man, next chapter can't come quickly enough, but I'm anticipating it.

Pity Twilight cant get the discworld books from Sunset, might give her the link to understanding L-Space and Pinkie? :pinkiegasp:

As for Luna v Saphira? I still keep thinking of Luna treating Torch like one of her Flamingos, Red Queen style. Croquet Mallet and punting Saphira over the horizon.

Then going. huzzah, the fun has been doubled. Now, who wants to Fight. :trollestia:

Luna vs Saphhira. That will be over quick. Torch will come around in some fashion later.

I hope fizzie joins the herd!!!

Or maybe a reformed chrysalis!! I know that's a large stretch though

Great chapter, but of course I haven't read a disappointing chapter so far.

11449072

I don't think it will be over very quick. as Luna said a few chapters ago, "I haven't had the chance to cut loose in ages."

I hope we'll have a new chapter soon!

Comment posted by Red4530 deleted May 20th, 2023

Really love this story. I curious how other would react to spike being related to royal. I want to see spike use magic more. It really interest me and curious how dragon Magic can be used as fighting or other usage . Also, how do having pony magic affect his normal Magic? Will there be a villain?
I hope Spike herd grow, the main are obvious, but i wouldn't mind other species. I like Lyla (i bet she would like making fore play by tuning into other for Spike during bed), would like Trixie, Sunset shimer,zecora, skystar, autumn blaze, Silverstream, Opaline, chrysalis, what about a femal centaur ,Umbrum or a phoenix girl?( I know their animal (Peewee) in the show but i wouldn't mind if you humanised them as none has appear, in the show their where no relevant, you could make them the alicorn version of griffon, it you make it change it would be great and honestly not a big loss) . Would Ember accepte another dragoness? About the mate brand can Spike put one on each membre of his herd? I except at last some to want one. Will you introduce gen 5?
How are dragon/pony hybride? Like batpony or are they more related to vampire?
What is the lifespan of dragon like spike, Ember? Do they lives as long alicorn? Same question about Lyla and hybrid.
Hope you still update.

Juste read your fic and loved it. Is there a limite to how small or how big a dragon can be? So Spike will have to reject Sunburst, a shame but whit magic, gender swap should be possible Discord should be able to do it. I am all for Spike herd/Hoard to grow ( i hope Starlight join). Do other species have a way to ascend like alicorne and be immortal? I hope you update your story soon.

11595030
I try and keep my stories within the realm of reality (for a given definition of "reality"). This means that when it comes to bodily growth, I use the square cube law. This means that, even though a dragon's strength increases with their size, there will be a point where their body is simply too heavy to move, no matter how strong they are.

After rereading this fic, i have to ask is Atlantis in chap 12 Seaquestria or it's another land? I hope after the dragon land arc, they will go over there and other place. With that portal, traveling will be much easing. Also, I liked the relation mother son between Celestia and Spike, i hope to see more of her and you kept her single. I Hope you update soon.
Just wanted to ask how long dragon live? It's mostly to know if spike will live as long twilight. Are dragon ageless? Also do you plan to continu this fic?

I'm hoping for a new chapter soon. Please. Pretty Please with Sugar on top.

Love your story, i would love for Princess Skrystar, Silverstream and autunmn Blaze to join Spike harem. And maybe another femal dragon if Ember is willing to share him.
You could also have him meet a femal Diamond dog to join his harem or even a femal of the specie of the storm king.
I just hope to see more diversity of different race to his harem.
I hope you will still update this story.

Great story.
I love how you andle each caractère. Sad for Scootaloo parent. I love love Lyla.

I want to ask is the dreasmscape Luna talk just the subconscient and she go into the mind of poeple or is it like hollow knight and there is a whole dream realm?

I can't wait for the shotdown between Luna and Saphira. I wonder if there are other Dragon Land with différent speci of dragon on other land like aquatiques dragon or like eastern dragon whitout wing, will we see from where Spike come from?

And i hope to see Spike horde growing more. Would love for a batpony, crystal Pony or zebra to join his heard and other specie other than Pony to join his heard.
Hope you still continu this story.

Your story is amazing
I loves to see Spike learn dragon magic, i Hope to see him develop it more.
I love each caracter. I hope Trixi, Sunset, Skystar, Silverstream, Zecora and autunmn Blaze join Spike harem.

I would love for Spike to meet a femal Umbrum to join his harem, also a femal Draconequus and maybe a Breezie for me theyr the fairy of mlp or even a Kelpies or a femal sphynx or a femal timberwolf or femal Tantabusor femal minotaure.

Why not make a oc femal cyclope from the wiki i see that these existe or a femal cerberus, or femal demon and have them join his harem too.
Really hope you make Spike harem huge.
Hope your still continu this fic.

Can't wait for more. I hope to see Spike get more waifu Pony or not pony in his harem. I would love for the sphinx to join Spike harem. Hope to see a chapter soon.

It's one of m'y favorite fic on this site. It took me last week to finish it.
I want to see Spike herd grow big with more lovers and see him start having children. Please continu it.

I wonder if you bring caractère from the comic or game.
Would love princess Eris to join spike harem.
would love Alice and Bori the reindeer from best gift ever to join Spike herd.
Or a femal cat like Baast? Or Ceridwen?

This story has been a good read.
Loved to see Twilight being with Spike, i loved seeing Lyla become a Queen changeling, hope Spike get the other main in his herd. I hope Pinkie is the next one.

I know dragon are generaly monogame, but i would like for Smolder to join Spike harem. Ember could convainc her to join allong with Gilda.

I wonder if they go at Atlantis? I would love for Spike and co to meet some femal Kelpie for his harem or the Siren and have them join his hoard.

I would love also for him to have a femal Great Seedling in is harem, i would love a femal oc of it.

I hope to see more of spike getting more lady.

I like how you explain how Pony and dragon use their Magic différents. Hope to see Spike getting stronger.

I also liked how Spike and Ember are two différent Speci. Make me wonder how Celestia got Spike egg. Could there be other Dragon Land outside Equestria?
I love all how Spike IS charming each main. Dash is being Dash, hope she will still join and when will it be Pinky turn?

Even guy Can fall for Spike, a shame for Sunburst unless you genderswap him with Magic
Great that Tempête Shadow is here or should i say Fizzlepop’s, can't wait for her to fall for Spike.

I would love for you to give Spike a femal Tantabus as a lover. I would love for one to get into Spike dream, fall in love with hime and escape the dream and join his herd. Maybe it could learn to turn nightmar into dream. Would be a good reason to see Luna appear more.

11803798
Would love to see a femal oc of Great Seedling too!
Could be a nice plot for Appeljack, even better if she would join his herd.

11796660
Would also love for them to join too allong Queen Novo!

11805228
Could be interesting to see Tantabus again, if it become a femal i would love it to join Spike harem too. It say to be a parasite of dream but it could like the changeling that need love. And it would alow Spike to explore the dream scape with Luna.

Hope to see Spike explore other place in Equestria and beyond, i curious about other Land.

I hope Spike will meet a femal Umbrum and become friend with her so she could join his harem, i would love for you to explore them more and see one reformed.

I would also love to see Lightning Chill to Spike harem, would love to see a féline in his herd and will Skellinore appear?
Hoping Spike will meet and have a femal antrho phoenix girl to his harem.

11803798
I second that!
A femal Great Seedling would make a great addition to Spike harem.

11807599
Would love a femal umbrum to join his herd too!

11805228
I am with you on it. Adding Tantabus to Spike harem would be great.

I can't wait for Luna and Saphira fight.
I wonder if Spike still has dragon family still alive? And if they still look for him.
I hope Spike will collect many more waifu Pony or not Pony for his hoard.
I hope the Sphynx, Rain Shine and Sunset will appear and join Spike harem.

Damn, So Spike already got 3 Royale in his herd? Great job Spike. His rizz semble to work even on other race very well.
I wonder who Rarity has accepted in the herd beside the main. They must live in Pony ville. I hope his herd will be more than 6 and not just Pony. I wonder if Spike will have another Alicorn in his herd? Or even noble royale from other country.

Will we see the harmony tree? I wish it gain sentience and manifest as a female spirit and join Spike herd. Every member of the harmony is in love with and are part of his herd or will probably join, so why not the tree itself? The tree spirit could be like discord is the spirit of chaos.

Sad that Luna and Celestia will not join his herd. Maybe you could give them femal descendant oc that look like them so they could join Spike herd? They old enough to have great children themself.

Hoping Spike will have a lot of Pony in his herd. I hope Sunset shimer and zecora will become applicants for his herd. I would love for Allura from gen 5 Will appear and join Spike herd.
Will you give him a femal Abada for his herd? Or Reindeer or some femal antrho bird? I remember in the comics some antrho crow. Or a faun. I don't mind oc.

Hope Fizz join his herd soon. A shame trixi had to leave, but i Hope she will too be part of the herd.

I wonder what will be Saphira punishement from Ember after she will lose the duel. I kinda hope she join Spike herd too. I want her to tell what she know of Spike original dragon clan and why she wanted him.

I kinda want Spike to have a femal minotor in his harem even if it a oc and a femal draconequus.
I hope you will introduce new sentient antrho mythologie speci like femal thunderbird, or femal peryton (deer with wing), femal fenrir or femal kitsun,...

And as I see other comment from above, I too hope you will bring back character like the Sphynx or the Great Seedling, and the Tantabus to join Spike harem.
Would love for Appeljack to finaly meet the Great seedling. I hope you can bring the tantabus again, it could be see a Luna "own child" wanting to live and escape again not needing being evil , and for the Sphynx you could have Spike interact with Somnambula or her descendant.

I hope we will see Spike and Twilight travel in Equestria and outside land, like visiting crystal city and the place where umbrum live.
I hope you will have Spike explore the dragon island, will there is lava bath for dragon, there probable hot water source spring for Pony, Dragon could turn it in a touristique place and gain money.
Do dragon fire affect forging because to it Magic proprety? Could be interesting to forge a sword or armor for like Twilight, shining Armor or even Luna or Celestia that is enchenced with dragon Magic.

I hope to see more antrho femal animal for Spike herd, and he will A have a femal umbrum and a femal kelpie and a femal wendigo or even femal Elemental to his herd.

I read the comics and hope you give him a femal antrho Butterdragon to his herd to show more antrho femal dragon hybrid speci like dragon/ : hydra, major ursa(they could learn to alter their size), phoenix or even a hybrid dragon Timberwolves ( they could find one in the Everfree Forest that was kick out of her Wolf pack du to being différent and fall in love for spike) or other creature to join Spike herd.

I wonder how Luna will handle the duel. Will she win whith brut strength or use illusion and mind trike to make Saphira a fool? Hope to learn more about Spike clan.

Love that Twilight has her own lab and doing mad thing. Could she invention thing like something that use illusion or light and use it like phone or hologramme?

I wonder who will be the next mare to join Spike herd. Would love that a femal crystal Pony to join his herd. A dragon need his tresur for his hoard, what better than a Pony made of crystal?
With Spike being a hero of the city there should be a lot candidat, And it would be funny to see how Ember react to crystal Pony as dragon eat crystal/gem.
I wonder if the animal in crystal empire are too made of crystal, because dragon would love some crystal meat. Ember and Spike would love a restaurant that serve it.

I also would love a Umbrum waifu for Spike in the futur. I would love if you explore them and i like the Idea of a umbrum being linked to Spike own shadow and always appearing in his shadow/back when he call her and scaring him.
I wonder if we see radiant hope and sombra. As they where looking for the piece of Princess Amore ( former rule of crystal empire) that was turned in statue in the comics. I hope if Princess Amore appear she will join Spike harem.
Or you could have her be a actualy status that was alive and Spike free her. I hope you make her a Alicorn crystal Pony.

Will the Dazzlings appear? I hope they will join Spike herd.

11832364
Love the thought of Princess Amore being alive and joining Spike herd. It could become political over who own the throne with cadence the actual ruler and Princess Amor who is the legitimate ruler from the past. And she definitively need to be or become a alicorn.

11836613
I feel princess Amore would leave the throne of Crystal Empire to Cadance if she see Cadence do a good job and would enjoie the present. And i agree she would be a great addition to the story and being part of Spike harem.

Hoping Starlight, Trixi, Little Strongheart, Zecora, Princesse Skystar, sunset (hoping she will appear) will join Spike herd.

Can't wait for Spike to collect the whole harmony girl, i hope to see them act as a family. I wonder when Spike will wedd them.

Would love if you manage to bring the main characters from generation 5 (Sunny, you could turn Hitch Trailblazer into a femal, you could make Sparki a femal adulte dragon for Spike herd, ...), would love seeing the main generation 4 et 5 interract, along with Allura (you could even bring Twitch and turn him into a femal Bunny) and Opaline Arcana (especialy her), Queen haven( you could turn her into just a noble) and have them all join Spike harem.

I hope you can integrate them in your univers but the choice is your, it's your story after all. Having both main characters live in the same era and be in the same herd will be wild. I hope you continu your fic.

I also wonder how he handle Sunburst when he meet him. I kinda hope Sunburst in his his quest for Spike heart, choose to change his gender with magic to have Spike accept him (it's in the realm of possible with Magic right?). Surely that way Spike would be more open to accepte a femal Sunburst in his herd. Would love to see them togeter like that.

I wonder if Spike will meet Scorpan in this fic, would love Spike having a gargoyle and centaure lover. Why not have Spike meet Scorpan and Tirek descendant (Oc) as they both 1000 year? That would make them princess too as Scorpan is royal? I love Queen Haydon design for a femal gargoyle.
The same for the storm King, i often was intrigued by was he was, you could give the storm King a femal descendant for Spike harem, same for Grogar.

Love your story. I hope Pinky and Dash will soon join the herd.

And i hope you will explore the non Pony Race and have some join Spike herd/harem like a femal draconequus like Cosmos or Eris (or both) or a oc, a femal diamond dog ( you could bring some of the diamond dog Queen or a oc), Lightning Chill, Queen Novo, Rain Shine, ...

I would love a femal antrho Ursa Major oc, would love him to have a celestial Bear wife ( hopefull they can change their size like dragon). It would be awesome to have her in his herd.
I wonder if there are other antrho femal celestial créature based on constellation like a celestial femal dragon named Draco like some kind of old Dragon goddess to join Spike harem.

Also i would love a antrho Phoenix girl (like a antrho Philomena she could transform from bird form to antrho form or a oc antrho hybrid Phoenix, i find it a shame that phoenix are juste pet). Would love him to have some bird/aviant in his herd.

Spike need more specie that live lives verry long time, at the end there will only be Lyla, Twilight and Ember as he will outlive other.
I want to see Spike herd becoming big and with a lot of species.

Saphira will wish she never attacked Spike after Luna has deal with her. Don't Ember parent should know about Spike dragon clan? If he is one of the last member, they should know a bit about his clan.
I wonder what will be next, i hope they will go to crystal empire to put a portal there.

Hope to see Spike getting stronger with the new martial art he work with Ember and show more spell. I love how you have dragon use emotion as a power source. Hope to see more of this fic.

Will you bring the clone of Pinky to the herd too? I remember that one clone of Pinky survived no? Could explain how she work if they team. Spike having two Pinkie would be something.

I kinda want Spike to interact with Stygian if he appear in the story as they where both extra member of the harmonie gang of différent génération.

I wonder if you bring Moonshadow as she is Spike first, now that he know Pony and dragon can reproduce, wouldn't it be intersting if she come back with a child of his? Wouldn't a hybrid Pony dragon be a kirin? I kinda hope moonshadow is a batpony.

Login or register to comment