• Published 2nd Oct 2014
  • 4,518 Views, 191 Comments

A Prince and a Princess - TorontoFCBrony



Evil creatures raising from the underworld, a national sports event, an entire other dimension—what will cause the newly-married Twilight Sparkle and Flash Sentry to be apart next?

  • ...
57
 191
 4,518

Chapter 3: Tryouts and Preparations

"Okay, recruits, to be a member of the new Ponyville Royal Guard, you're going to need guts," Flash Sentry yelled as he paced back and forth, crunching the fallen autumn leaves on the ground. Over the previous few weeks, Twilight Sparkle prepared vigorously for her upcoming Princess of Friendship tour, while Flash advertised around town that tryouts were going to be held for a new security force at the castle. The turnout was less than ideal.

"You're going to need wits," the stallion continued as he paced in front of the eager ponies applying for new positions. Flash stopped and looked at the ponies in line. From left to right were: Big Macintosh, Spike, Rumble, Featherweight, Bulk Biceps[1], and Tom the Rock. "Which may not be your strong point," the prince continued. "But regardless, you recruits are going to have to be willing to lay your life on the line in order to protect Princess Twilight Sparkle. Is that something you're willing to do?"

--------------------------------------
[1] Or Snowflake, as he was affectionately called by his close friends and secret fillyfriend, Fluttershy. Regardless, while Flash spoke, the massive, small-winged white pegasus was examining the inner cavities of his nose and was stunned by his discovery upon retrieving what he found.
--------------------------------------

"Eeyup!" Big Macintosh replied cheerfully, while Bulk screamed like the little filly he was on the inside. Rumble and Featherweight gave each other a hoof-bump with excitement, while Spike and Tom stared back at their potential future captain blankly.

Flash facehoofed. "Slim pickings," he muttered. "All right. This morning, I am going to test your endurance, speed, strength, and smarts. First, your strength. We're going to test each of you one-on-one in a tug-of-war contest to see who is the strongest. First up, Rumble and Tom."

--------------------------------------

"Oh, darling, this dress is simply darling, darling. It really makes you look darling," Rarity complimented as Twilight continued to try on multiple dresses inside the massive master bedroom of the castle. The princess and her five friends were seeing what she could wear on her upcoming planned tour across Equestria.

"I like the way it makes your flank look," Rainbow added.

"Me too," Pinkie shouted.

"All right," Twilight replied. "This will be the one I wear in Manehattan, since they have a heightened sense of style, and it's the final stop on the tour." Pointing to a few other dresses, the unicorn continued, "I'll wear that one in Canterlot, that one in Fillydelphia, that one in Baltimare, that one in Vanhoover, and that one in Las Pegasus."

"I think it's going to be a wonderful trip for you and Flash," Fluttershy commented. "You not only get to travel across Equestria, meeting many ponies with your husband, but you also get to—what on earth is that noise?"

Fluttershy was interrupted by the sound of burly shouting and cheering, as well as colt-ish struggle. The mares ran over to the window, looking into the backyard of the castle. Instantly, Twilight covered her face with one hoof in embarrassment.

"Oh, Flash, why," she muttered to herself as she watched.

Outside was Flash Sentry, blowing a whistle, watching Rumble pulling a rope tied to a giant rock, with a number of other males watching and cheering loudly.

"Um, sorry, we don't have to watch this," Twilight said to her friends, but they all continued to look out the window, fascinated.

"There's my love," Rarity mumbled with glazed eyes as she rested her chin on her hoof. "Go Tom!" she then screamed out, startling the others.

With a confused roll of her eyes, and a slight chuckle, Twilight backed away from her spectating friends to continue to prepare for her upcoming trip.

--------------------------------------

"Okay," Flash said with his eyes wide open in surprise. "So." He paused to try and gather his thoughts. "The stallion who won the strength contest, defeating Big Macintosh in the final, is Tom the Rock."

Tom, being the relaxed-type that he usually was, refused to celebrate his victory. Besides, there were plenty of other contests to go.

"Don't get too cocky, Tom," Flash said flatly as he continued pacing in front of his prospective guards. "There are many other things I'm going to test you on today. Next, I'm going to test your speed. What if a crazed mare sneaks into this castle at night and steals the princess' crown? Will you be fast enough to catch up to her? Each of you will run down to the river and back individually, and I will be timing you. First up will be Rumble."

The colt gulped and trotted his way over to Flash. He bent down to set himself while the stallion put the whistle in his mouth and one hoof in the air. After a few seconds, the whistle blew, Flash's hoof came down, and Rumble was off.

--------------------------------------

The hours went on. Twilight sat by the window. She swapped between looking out the window at Flash's tryouts and watching Applejack and Rainbow Dash's very heated argument.

"Ah told ya, Granny Smith is the best tasting apple," Applejack yelled.

"And I told you that that is disgusting and illegal!" Rainbow retorted.

"That's not what Ah mean!"

Twilight rolled her eyes and returned to watching the tryouts outside for the Ponyville Royal Guard. Needless to say, they weren't going so smoothly. The princess sighed through her nose as she watched her husband desperately try and rally up the other stallions, who at this point were all on their backs, exhausted from the various tasks they were asked to do. Tom looked like he was about to pass out, and Big Macintosh was asleep against a tree.

For a quick second, Twilight turned back to her friends.

"Listen, Applejack, I won't judge what you do in your family, but I also don't want to hear about it," Rainbow continued. "Besides, I'm pretty sure Fluttershy can be the judge if Big Macintosh is the biggest apple." The yellow Pegasus quickly turned red and shrunk in her stance.

"Rainbow, how dense are ya? I'm talkin' about apples the fruit!"

"Ooooooooh."

Stealthily, Twilight got up from sitting on her bay window sill and snuck along the side of the room. Rarity spotted her sneaking away, but the unicorn gave her a wink and kept quiet as Rainbow and Applejack continued to dominate the conversation while Pinkie Pie chewed on her own hair. Twilight eventually made it out of her room and into the hallway of the castle. She made her way downstairs and to the open backyard of the castle.

Once there, she found Flash standing in the open, looking around at the weak contestants who came out for his tryouts.

"Hey," Twilight said as she came around and kissed her husband on the cheek.

"Hey," Flash replied as he looked down on his side.

"I take it that it didn't go very well?"

"Not really," Flash replied, scratching his head.

"That's okay. You tried. So, what're we going to do, then?"

"Can your friends watch the castle while we're gone?"

Twilight thought for a second. "I don't think they all can at the same time, but I'm sure they'd love to!"

"Great! What about Spike?"

"A few weeks in a castle, alone, except for a bunch of mares? I think he'll survive," Twilight said with a smile.

"Great," Flash said as he put his whistle into his mouth.

"No!" Twilight yelled as Flash blew it loudly with his wife right in his vicinity.

"Line up, fillies," the prince yelled out. Though all tired, the stallions, colts, and rock all lined up. Flash pondered for a few seconds on what he was about to say, and how to say it in a cordial manner, but then flicked his hoof in the air and said, "Bah. We'll be in touch." Twilight and Flash trotted side by side as they made their way back into the castle as the others all dispersed.

Author's Note:

Sorry, guys. I know I've been really quiet on here lately, and I apologize greatly for that. You're all amazing people, and I thank you all so much for being so supportive! I will give each of you an excuse at a different time. Here are my excuses lately:
-I sprained my wrist and thumb in a recent soccer match (no joke, I've only been able to work 2 days in 2 weeks). That has made using technology hard. I've had amazing ideas but I haven't been able to go with them, and that sucks royally.
-I've been working on improving my writing and writing my own novel, and I've been completely dissatisfied with anything pony I can write, because I've been working on my own characters and writing with humans and stuff. I feel like this (this chapter) is crap, but this is the best crap I could come up with for now. I didn't want to post the worst crap and rush it. I'm sorry I took so long, but it's hard posting when you feel uneasy about what you're writing about and unsure if people will like or absolutely hate your stuff.

It has always been in the plans for this story to have quite a few short chapters to start off. The next one will take place in the human world, where we will see Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry, and some things will start to make sense, and we will see some of the plot start to thicken. Twilight will not get fatter yet from eating too much cake, but the plot, as in story, will get more interesting.

Thanks to Gemstone the Unicorn again for looking at this and editing in advance. She has a FlashLight story of her own that, even though is on hiatus, is near-perfect. Check her out!

Comments ( 47 )

Great job with this chapter. I was surprised that for a comic element Tom was competing to be a guard. That and Rarity still had a crush on him. Good job with this chapter and thanks for the update.

5344815 No problem, thanks for being a continued reader :twilightblush:
Surprised I still have any after taking so long :pinkiesick:

5344821 Don't feel too bad. Once they see you starting to update, they'll come back. Just don't feel too bad about that. I have a fanfiction account, and I know what it is like to not get a few many reads.

Dammit, I was rooting for Tom to get in!

5344866 Oh I don't really care about reads, per say. I just don't want to let people down.

5344877 Hey, this way Tom can go on his own adventure!

It has been a while since you made another chapter and this was great so keep up the work and stay awesome.

A ROCK?!?! Is Rarity actually giving up just like that?!?!!!!!!

Don't feel obligated to post chapters as quickly as possible. Take your time, write at your own pace, and I'm certain, however you wrote it, the story will turn out just fine. I enjoyed the humor in this chapter (Tom trying out for the guard?! :rainbowlaugh:) and I look forward to the human side of the story. I've always wondered what happened to Sunset since you left us with barely anything in the first story, so it should turn out interesting.

Great work so far on the sequel, and good luck with your novel! :pinkiehappy:

"I like the way it makes your flank look," Rainbow added.

Is rainbow lesbian or something?:rainbowlaugh:
And by the way, awesome chapter and keep it up!

5345815 Thank you :pinkiehappy:

5345886 I... honestly don't know lol. I madly ship her and Soarin but I could see her having a mild attraction to her friends lol!

5345900 you should pair her up with soarin in the story then! The would be cute...:rainbowkiss:

5345929 Maybe I'll mention it in passing or something... I already have 3 SoarinDash stories as it is so I don't want to get too off track with this one :pinkiesmile:

5346062 Sorry, I just don't want really a major side story during the main story. Like, in my Violet Hill story (SoarinDash) I included a FlutterMac chapter, but it kind of took away from the rest of the story. I kind of regret that because, while it did add stuff to the story, it kind of distracted everyone from the main story and wasn't that important.

Really sorry, but I really am not sure if you read that one or not. A lot of people who read A Guard and a Princess did read Violet Hill first.

5346160 yeah i read it and i loved it!
But ok...:twilightsheepish:

No prob man, and that's so awesome I play soccer too!!!!

Take your time and focus on your novel! A short chapter on here once in a while is nice but focus on that for sure. Also, I want a signed copy when your done ;)

5368322 Haha people always ask me for signed copies, as if I'd actually become famous :twilightblush:

From left to right were: Big Macintosh, Spike, Rumble, Featherweight, Bulky Biceps[1], and Tom the Rock.

Yeah, that is quite sad. :eeyup: :moustache: (Technically, his name is actually Bulk Biceps, but that's not much of an issue.) If Rumble and Featherweight were trying out, why not Pipsqueak. I'm sure Twilight is like his favorite princess now.

"Besides, I'm pretty sure Fluttershy can be the judge if Big Macintosh is the biggest apple." The yellow Pegasus quickly turned red and shrunk in her stance.

Really. Bulk Biceps and Big McIntosh. Fluttershy likes the big ones doesn't she. :yay:

I don't think this chapter is crap at all. :pinkiegasp: I liked it! It's like a nice return to form to the manic humor that permeated the early parts of "A Guard and a Princess". But you know, if you end up preferring to write your own human characters more than those from an actual professionally written TV show, that might be a good sign. :raritywink: Still, I look forward to more of this story whenever more becomes available. Keep up the good work. :pinkiehappy:

5381980 Thank you, I will keep trying :twilightsmile:

And yes, Fluttershy likes the big boys :flutterrage:

Well, that was pretty funny. But how in the world did a rock and two little colts end up in the tryouts?

5345623 Well he is...

ROCK HARD!

:rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh: :rainbowlaugh:

5468320 YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

5157216 Funnily enough, I'm getting that feeling as well. :rainbowderp:

Please finish this story. I am a huge fan of your other story so i am waiting for you to continue this

Hi! I know that you have really mutch to do So you will probebly don't see this comment. but i have a question for you. Have you quit working on this FimFiction? It was a really long time i saw you update and im just wondering. It would be awesome If you awnswer the comment! TNX for your awesome work :D .

5840508 Quit working on this particular story? Not necessarily. I've kind of stopped watching the show altogether. Life hasn't really been good for me the last few months, so instead of being an attention-seeker on here, I've decided to step away for a while. It just sort of... happened. It's unlikely I'll continue any FIMFiction writing any time soon, because Im having trouble writing pony in general.

In my spare time, however (which I don't get a lot of anymore), I am actually writing a novel that I hope to self-publish. I'm actually really enjoying it. I'm hoping I'll get my pony-writing ability back. We'll see.

Hi again! Im so sorry that things hasen't gone so well for you D: . But one thing i know is that you will work things out i promise :) . Im so glad to hear that you are working on a novel because you are an awesome wrighter so If you self-publish It i know that many people will like it!
Just remember one thing and that is to not give up on the things you care about. Good luck with your novel and remember to always try to stay positive! :pinkiehappy:

5841393 Thank you for your positivity! I won't give up, I promise. I'm a fighter.

Nooo.... NO UPDATES!

YAY Rumble is in this fic!! :pinkiehappy: (he's one of my favorites y'know)

Are you going to continue

6511986
Sorry, but the story has officially been cancelled.

This is my reaction to the fact this story was cancelled:

And I am serious! I was looking foward to what would happen next.:applecry::fluttercry::raritydespair:

7483939 I'm sorry man :(
It's been too long and I haven't watched an episode since Rainbow Rocks and have nowhere to go from here.

7484104
It's okay, I understand.

7484104 You could always go back and watch the episodes from where you left off and then continue the story.

5844214
Why is the story cancelled?

8847359
Because I haven't written anything in like 4 years.

No matter when, you can always come back. Its never too late to start writing this wonderful story again.

"You're going to need wits," the stallion continued as he paced in front of the eager ponies applying for new positions. Flash stopped and looked at the ponies in line. From left to right were: Big Macintosh, Spike, Rumble, Featherweight, Bulk Biceps [1] , and Tom the Rock. "Which may not be your strong point," the prince continued. "But regardless, you recruits are going to have to be willing to lay your life on the line in order to protect Princess Twilight Sparkle. Is that something you're willing to do?"

I have one question. Why? Just why?:rainbowlaugh:

"Ah told ya, Granny Smith is the best tasting apple," Applejack yelled.

"And I told you that that is disgusting and illegal!" Rainbow retorted.

Stuff like this gives me the will to live-

10241008
I'm glad haha. I actually forgot I wrote that.

Login or register to comment