• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 3,372 Views, 123 Comments

Exam Jitters - GrassAndClouds2



A freak accident results in Ditzy Doo becoming very protective of her daughter, but when Dinky becomes eligible for an incredible opportunity, Ditzy must decide between keeping her safe and letting her grow. A Lunaverse story.

  • ...
10
 123
 3,372

In Which the Doo Family Bakes Muffins

"Now this," said Scootaloo, bending her muzzle down so she could flick her last marble, "Is going to be the greatest marble shot in Ponyville history! I'm gonna knock all ten of your marbles out of the circle!"

Dinky giggled. "But you haven't knocked even one of them out yet!"

"I was just lulling you into a false sense of security. And it worked!" Scootaloo grinned. "You feel secure! I can read it in your face!"

Dinky, for her part, considered her large pile of marbles, and Scootaloo's single remaining shooter. "Yes," she conceded. "I do."

A week had passed since the Sharpwhinny entrance exam. Dinky had been on pins and needles for a day or so, but her mother had persuaded her that being nervous wouldn't change the results, so she should do her best to relax. So she'd spent time with her friends, and gone to the park with her mother, and chased Angel Bunny around when Fluttershy had run into some difficulty getting him to take his medicine. It had been a good week.

"Dinky! My little muffin!"

Dinky turned to see her mother exiting the post office, with a mailmare's cap on her head, a fresh bag of mail at her side, and a big smile on her face. "Hi Momma! Did you have a good day so far?"

"Hey!" Scootaloo frowned. "I'm trying to concentrate!" She stuck out her tongue as she re-aimed her marble.

Ditzy nodded. "I'm having a wonderful day, dear." She smiled and looked down at the marbles. "That looks fun! Who's winning?"

"Me!" cheered Dinky, as Scootaloo fidgeted with her marble. "I've almost won!"

"Not yet, you haven't!" Scootaloo gave the marble a mighty flick of her muzzle. It bounced into the circle and hit one of the marbles there. Both rolled towards the edge of the circle... but stopped just short.

"My turn!" Dinky scampered over and prepared her own shooter. "Alright! I predict this marble knocks all the rest out!"

"I--" began Scootaloo.

"Miss Doo! Miss Doo!" Both foals and Ditzy turned to see Twist running up towards the group, dirt flying everywhere as she scurried towards the post office. Bonbon trotted after her at a more sedate pace, along with Sterling Silver and Silver Spoon. "Miss Doo!" cried Twist. "Did they really come today?"

"Did what?" asked Scootaloo.

"The Sharpwhinny admissions decisions," said Silver Spoon, a sour note in her voice. "The newspaper, like, said they were released yesterday and should have arrived today." She frowned. "They did arrive, right?"

Ditzy Doo smiled. "They might have--"

Dinky bounced up in the air like she'd been zapped by lightning, her marble falling from her mouth and bouncing away. (It did knock the other marbles out of the circle, to Scootaloo's consternation, but Dinky didn't even notice). "Ooh! Ooh! Momma, did the letter come? Can I see? Please please please?"

Ditzy giggled. "I'm not really supposed to go out of order on the rounds--"

All three foals crowded around her with pleading eyes, though Silver Spoon somehow managed to project a condescending air nonetheless. Ditzy grinned. "Well, if Postmaster Script is okay with it I might be able to make an exception..."

Silver Script stuck his head out of the post office. "Yeah, it's fine." He chuckled. "Foals these days. Always so impatient..."

Ditzy carefully opened her saddlebag and dug out the three letters. Dinky took hers as soon as her mother showed it to her and marveled at its thickness. Snails had told her before that thicker letters were better in these cases, because it took a lot more words to tell someone that they'd gotten in than it did to tell them to go away. She lifted it up with her telekinesis, carefully opened it, and read the first--

"WHAT?!" Silver Spoon's eyes blazed as she flung her letter down. "I didn't get in?! How could I not have gotten in?! This is unfair! This is rigged!"

Sterling blushed, looking embarrassed. "Ah... maybe we'd better head on home. Thank you for the letter, Miss Doo." And he began dragging his daughter home, even as she started ordering him to call the papers, the prosecutors, and the princess of Equestria. The foals could only watch as she was taken away.

"...um." Scootaloo blinked. "I guess it was harder than she thought."

"We should go too," said Bonbon. "Twist wanted to open this at home."

"Thank you, Miss Doo," said Twist, taking the letter and tucking it into her schoolbag. "Oh, I hope Dinky and I both get in. That would be so sweet!"

"Good luck!" said Dinky.

They left, and Dinky returned her focus to her own letter and began reading the first words: "Dear Miss Dinky Doo. We are sorry to inform you..." Her face fell, but she kept going. "...that you have not qualified for Sharpwhinny Academy..."

Ditzy was at her side in moments, gathering her daughter in a hug. "I'm sorry, dear."

Dinky sighed. "Aww, I really wanted to get in... but at least I tried." She recovered a bit of her cheer. "I'm really glad I tried. Even if I didn't get in."

"I'm glad you tried too."

The two embraced for a while before Scootaloo said, "Huh. That letter's really thick to tell you that you didn't get in. Were they just being wordy?"

Confused, Dinky picked the letter back up and kept reading. "Though your score did not qualify you to attend the Academy, please note that you still performed very well. We wish to foster the development of all foals with such potential, as do many affiliated universities, academies, zoos, and museums..." She trailed off. "This goes on for a while."

Ditzy smiled and took the letter. "Let's see... oh! Oh, this is interesting..."

"What is it?" asked Dinky, with Scootaloo echoing a moment later.

"Well, even though you didn't qualify, you still performed very well. Well enough that some of the museums and other places affiliated with Sharpwhinny still want to help you grow into the best, smartest little pony you can be." Ditzy began to quote from the letter. "Of those who took the test but did not qualify for Sharpwhinny, 1,000 foals will be designated as Official Runners-Up. Such foals are entitled to discounts at participating museums, zoos, and other academic institutions throughout Equestria, as well as special programs the museums only offer to a few visitors at a time." Ditzy turned the page. "Most of the rest of this is listing the special programs. For example, the Canterlot Gem Museum lets Official Runners-Up watch actual gem polishings, and also lets them see some of the gems that aren't currently on public display. The Equestrian History Museum does special lectures with its field archeologists for the Runners-Up..."

"That sounds boring," said Scootaloo. "Uh... I mean, sorry Miss Doo. But Dinky, that sounds--"

Ditzy chuckled. "Oh, and the Trottingham Museum of Vehicular Transport lets Official Runners-Up try out some of their vehicles -- under close supervision, of course. Including a replica of what is thought to be the very first scooter!"

Scootaloo's mouth dropped. "Lucky!"

Dinky was smiling from ear to ear. "That sounds really fun! So the next time we're in another city, I can see a really fun museum and some special exhibits?"

"Yes!" Ditzy grinned. "Congratulations, my little muffin. This is a big honor."

Dinky hugged her mother tightly. "Thank you for letting me take the test, Momma. I love you."

"I love you too, dear."

***

"So in the end, nopony around here's gong to Sharpwhinny this year." Cheerilee sighed as she drank her glass of wine. "Oh well."

"Well, it's not all bad." Trixie took a swig of her bourbon. "I mean, if they went there, they wouldn't be here, and they couldn't learn from the greatest teacher of all. The Great and Powerful--"

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, uh, the Brilliant and... Teacheriffic Cheerilee. That'd be a shame."

Ditzy chuckled as she drank her daffodil wine. "I'm proud of Dinky anyways. That Runners-Up thing looks like it will be a lot of fun."

"Tell me when you start going to the museums. I can help you pick out the best ones." Cheerilee smiled at a memory. "I mean, some of them sound good, but you sneak in a few minutes after closing and you find the curator licking salt in the break room and using a priceless Cavallian teaspoon to..." She trailed off as she noticed her friends looking at her. "What? I had an interesting life before I settled down."

Ditzy finished her drink. "Thank you again," she said. "For helping me. I was--"

"Don't worry about it," said Trixie, immediately. "We're friends. We help each other. You made the right call in the end, and that's all that matters."

Ditzy nodded slowly. "I'm still worried about Dinky," she said. "But I... if I forced her to live her life safely, just to please me, I'd be trading possible bad consequences for certain ones. Dinky's a great pony. She's going to grow up to do truly amazing things. And it's my job to support her and help her, not hold her back." She frowned. "I just hope I don't mess up again..."

"You're a good Mom," said Trixie. "You're the best one I've ever known. You'll do fine."

"And we'll be there to help you if you need it." Cheerilee draped a foreleg over Ditzy's shoulder. "What're friends for?"

Ditzy grinned. "Yeah... I guess you're right. I have the best friends in the world. And I can count on you." She smiled. "You're wonderful..."

"Aw, stop, you're making me all mushy." Trixie laughed and waved to Berry Punch. "Another round!"

"Actually, I need to go home. Sparkler's almost done with Dinky by now, and we've got some mother-daughter bonding to take care of." Ditzy rose. "See you tomorrow."

"Going to start looking at the museums?" asked Cheerilee, as Ditzy took out a few bits for her drinks.

"Not exactly..."

***

Ditzy walked in her front door to find Dinky standing there with a chef's hat that almost covered her entire head. "Hi Momma! Let's bake!"

The mailmare grinned and shut the door, then moved over to the counter and took down flour, salt, sugar, and a few other baking ingredients. "Of course," she said. "Now, I suppose we could just go to the Equestrian Baking Institute and try some of their food..."

"But ours will be better!" chirped Dinky, with the certainty of a foal who believed in her mother.

Ditzy smiled and helped Dinky onto the counter so she could reach the ingredients. "Of course they will. Now -- do you want to pour the flour?"

Dinky agreed, and in the end, she was right.

The muffins were absolutely delicious.

Author's Note:

That's all, folks!

So, no one's going to Sharpwhinny -- probably not much of a surprise. Silver Spoon was rejected outright, and Dinky only got the Runners-Up thing. Originally, I was going to have Twist actually qualify but then decide with her family that she was probably too young to go away (I don't see her as being as independent and mature as Dinky, so it might not be as advisable. Going away that young is not for everyone.) But I wasn't sure if other people would dislike that, so I left her letter ambiguous. Maybe she was rejected, maybe she was a runner-up, maybe she got in but decided not to go. We can work it out in brainstorming, if it ever comes up again.

That said, I like the idea of Dinky having passes to exhibits at museums all over the place. I can see some fun plot ideas working with that.

Poor Scootaloo. She is terrible at marbles. :-)

Comments ( 29 )

The runners up prize is an interesting idea. Might fit into the world tour later.

This should quell some of the "L!Dinky is a Mary Sue" chatter for a bit.

One minor nitpicky issue: Applejack barely appears in this story... probably even less than Lily in the first chapter. Is there a reason she's tagged over somepony else?

3130378: She was going to show up more in the outline, but she proved to be not as important to the story in the end. I should probably change that tag to Scootaloo or something, since Scoots has more scenes than her...

I really liked this resolution. Dinky was still successful and now has access to a lot of places she didn't before and she doesn't have to go away from home.
Silver Spoon was hilarious, as was Scootaloo's disdain for museums not specifically offering ancient scooter rides.

3130550: well, if they don't offer ancient scooter rides, what use are they? :-)

Silver Spoon whining is fun to write. "I was denied something I want? Luna must hear of this!" :-D

I hope we do see Dinky taking advantage of those museum special exhibitions/discounted admissions later. I can just see her getting into all sorts of ancient artifact-based hijinks.

Glad you enjoyed it!

3130241: I agree. I think some interesting stuff could be done with that.

3130378
Not necessarily. It could be strongly argued that Dinky only did poorly because of the circumstances leading up to her going to the test. Runner-up is also still a really good position, considering that Silver Spoon didn't even qualify for that...

3130378 i still find the idea that people can call dinky a sue to be wrong.

3131393: I didn't go into what the test actually entails in the story, largely because I couldn't find a way to make it interesting. But, at least in my head, it's more about testing intelligence than memorization; the problems aren't so much 'did you memorize this answer' or 'did you memorize this formula' as seeing if the foals can actually think and figure things out. Those tests you can't really cram for the week before, since it's more about conceptual understanding instead of just memorization. Also, they change up the format enough each year that studying old exams and 'prepping' in the American test prep industry sense doesn't help any. Obviously, there's a fundamental knowledge baseline -- they need to know how to add, for instance -- but all of the foals nominated for the test are generally above that baseline, so the test needs to separate them based on intelligence rather than number of textbooks memorized or number of practice exams taken. I think Cheerilee did say early on that you can't really study for this test, and while we know that Twist tried, we don't know that it helped her any.

I dunno. I think I'd rather it be the case that you can't really study for this test; they change it up enough each year that prior exams aren't helpful, and the questions are deep enough that rote memorization isn't helpful either; you have to think and reason things out and display intelligence rather than just knowing a bunch of dates and places. Ditzy was brought around by her friends; I think it's better for all involved if the extent of her overzealousness was just a few days of stress/unhappiness for the Doos and if Ditzy didn't really keep Dinky out of the Academy due to her smothering.

And, hey....it's not like she doesn't have access to the greatest unicorn mind since Star Swirl the Bearded at her local library. Part of Twilight's sentence IS, after all, to serve as a teacher's aide.

Poor Scootaloo. She is terrible at marbles. :-)

:rainbowlaugh:

I've got to say that this was probably the best resolution to go for. Frankly I think that had Dinky passed the test, there wouldn't really have been any way for her to decide to stay that wouldn't have felt like she was staying for Ditzy's sake. Though the runner up prize does seem cool. :pinkiehappy:

I enjoyed this story. it had a good heart and really kept the focus where it needed to be (ie between Ditzy and Dinky). It would be interesting to see future story explore Dinky going to these place. Also, while that would be someway off in the future, I now want to see a story dealing Dinky going off to college (or the pony equivalent.)

Not really much more to say except nicely done.

Hm. Interesting observation: Silver Spoon simply said she didn't get in, she didn't say anything about runner-up status. Interesting source of conflict if she did place as a runner-up, and they both just happen to go to the same event.

3153877: In my head, the rankings were: SS didn't get anything, Dinky got runner-up, Twist got in but chose not to go. But I'm leaving it vague as to what the non-Dinky ponies got exactly, and only confirming that they aren't going to Sharpwhinny. So another story could have SS having got runner-up, I don't mind.

(Also of note: while the Cadanceverse SS is academically motivated, largely to demonstrate her superiority to the other foals, I don't see the Lunaverse one as being quite as motivated. she's smart, I'd guess, and probably very well tutored, but I don't think she cares enough to be good enough to qualify for this).

Wow, what a great story! I feel like I've actually learned something important about real life here! I mean, I often find parallels to real life in fiction that makes me think, but this actually feels like good advice if I ever have children. And your characterization of Ditzy is superb. During the confrontation, she reacted just as I think a real person in a similar situation would - denial, anger, panic, despair, and then finally acceptance..

Thank you! :heart:

Rarity hates sticks.

Not too bad. Yeah, this was probably the best resolution. Can she take the test again?

3276495: Maybe next year, but I don't think another story on the same topic would add much. Unless you want her to get in next time?

¡Dinky Doo is so sweet that I almost went into a diabetic coma!

Comment posted by Walabio deleted Jan 13th, 2014
Comment posted by La Vallett1 deleted Jan 13th, 2014
Comment posted by Walabio deleted Jan 13th, 2014

This fic and Old Friends are out of order on the Season 2 Canon Page.

But this was a cute little fic. I'm glad that Ditzy made the right choice in the end.

3130378 I don't feel that Dinky is a Mary Sue, but if someone did I don't see how this fic would change their mind. I have to admit I really have trouble describing Dinky's character is any way that isn't just a compliment. It takes more than that for a character to be a Mary Sue, but she does tend to come off as 'perfect'.

Seeing her behave more selfishly on occasion would go far to make her feel more like a real child.

It is interesting that Ditzy for a while acts almost like Corona, trying to protect her little pony even if it would hurt them long term, I wonder if it would help her emphatize a little more with the Tyrant Sun.

Personally, I would've like to see her get in. Not because I want to see her go (I love Dinky), not because I think the story would've been better that way, but because I would like to see a change in status quo like that. Cartoons are so afraid of changing the status quo that they don't even have their characters age. Having a character go to a boarding school would be a good shake-up of the status quo.

Login or register to comment