The Writers' Group 9,303 members · 56,546 stories
Comments ( 50 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 50

Hey all,

I am seeking school appropriate stories to be read aloud to an after school program.

Thus far we have read...

Anthropology

On A cross and Arrow

Dragon King's Rebirth

Nightmare Jack

Scorched

And Turbulence

My class loved hearing these stories and especially liked ones with funny moment and action.

-I can glaze over mild swearing.

-no sexuality, but romance if it's tame.

So, ideas?

If you're looking for something short, I've got a bunch of SoL one-shots.

I've got some shorter works, but I'd recommend checking my Dusk Guard series (on mobile, so no links). The first has a slower buildup, but the most action is found in the sequel. It starts with a train hijacking and builds from there.

And, of course, I absolutely recommend Flight of the Alicorn. Action, adventure, danger ... It's also excellent.

aCB

Of Lilies and Chestnuts
An story about a bat-pony orphan being adopted by Fancy Pants and Fleur,

Mendacity
Bon Bon is actually a changeling and must journey to Canterlot to save Lyra from Chrysalis

4698945 Try the stories in this group link and this group link.

I know a good kid-friendly author who's written a bunch of stories. Check out some of the works by Brony Dad.

That is, I'm assuming you're talking about young kids for something like a story time, right?

Comment posted by NickyD deleted Sep 9th, 2015

>person is requesting a story
>is writing a story
>smells chance for self promotion
>walks away anyway

On a more serious note, if you want some general stupidity/comedy. I got How I Took Over Equestria in 7 Steps.

If you want something more serious, however, incomplete, there's Equestria's Time.

#shamelessselfpromotion

4698945 A freaking brony school club? Wish they had that at my school.

My Orgin Chronicles are good tame stories fillies with action and cool magic. I also have Fourth Wall Breakdown as a nice funny random story. Other than that I have a short romantic story about Vinyl and Octavia. Check them out and see if you like them

4698945 I'll not be linking you my crap but...

E {Short}: Hearth's Warming Her Cold Shoulder
E {Long}: Treasure in the West

T {Short}: Burning Bright
T {Long}: Vinyl and Octavia Machete Their Way Through The Jungle

M {Short}: Royal Punisher
M {Long}: A Western Tail
---
Tried to keep them within reasonable lengths. Shorts are under 7,500, longs are anywhere from 40,000 to 120,000.

And if you've looking for a longer fics I suggest:

E: Happy Adventuring, Twilight
T: Bros in Equestria
M: Fallout Equestria

And lastly, if you're looking for a series, I suggest: Savage Skies, starting with Foal of the Forest. I don't have any E or M series off the top of my head, sorry.

I know some of what I listed don't meet your criteria but I figure you would likely give them a glance-over before reading them to the kids. Of all of them, I most suggest the Savage Skies series. Fantastic story with romance being fairly minimal {in comparison to the other elements especially} as well as humorous at times and action-packed as hell for others.

Comment posted by Short Stories deleted Sep 9th, 2015
Comment posted by Jarvy Jared deleted Sep 9th, 2015

#everyoneselfpromotingwithlinks
#wonderswheresoarinis
Edit: #nevermind

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

4698983 4699002 4699032 4699070
Sorry about this, but I'm going to have to ask you guys to remove the links to your own stories. Self-promotion isn't even allowed in the comment replies of The Writer's Group. Refer to this comment from the recent PSA thread for more information...

Please remove the links to all of the Mature rated stories in your post. It's a site rule that you're not supposed to link directly to those in groups that are not marked as (nsfw).

4699076 ayy. Sorry, I didn't know. Haven't been paying attention to groups lately, kinda just glanced at my feed and yolo'd it.

I'll remove them nao tho.

Self-promotion isn't even allowed in the comment replies of The Writer's Group.

To be fair he did ask for stories. Guess that still doesn't warrant any self promotion though. I suppose I could just remove my comment altogether.

4698983 no shame in that at all. Thanks!

Ok maybe their is.

4699076 Oops, sorry! I'll get right on that... :twilightblush:

4698945 Just a reiteration of my deleted comment, but without the shameless self-promotion bastardization or links... :twilightblush:

Feel free to check out the Discord Teaches saga! They are called Oh The Choices and Unpredictable Beauty!

4698945 Living in Equestria by Blazewing is very kid friendly. VERY MILD references to alcohol though, but they do that in loony toons and some old Disney cartoons all the time. I think they'll find it hysterical

4698986 school age kids 5-11 during snack after school. They are asking me to find more stories

Then my suggestion would definitely be appropriate. The guy I linked writes for his two young daughters. I found them to be pretty good in of themselves and enjoyed them. Some kids could definitely find something interesting in them :twilightsmile: Though I'm sure there are plenty of other stories too.

4699040 the kids greatly enjoy the stories, and the fact that regular people make them is amazing to them. I tried reading James and the Giant peach and others but the kids really seem to connect with the characters in mlp.

I do have a concern that they will go on the site and find something less then savory, sadly their is a lot of that, but I sift through and pick out ones that are funny, thought provoking, adventurous, or just plain fun.

4699032 Apple Family story? SOLD!

The kids all have their favorites but they know who mine is :ajsmug:

I know she isn't the focus but still, this is gold!

Comment posted by TheTrueDragoon deleted Sep 9th, 2015

4699010 Well I try. I am a fan and my passion sorta bleeds through. Our class room Mascot/my assistant is A plushie of Applejack, with a customed made hat. Only kids who are well behaved can hold her through the halls, and I don't pick them, 'she' does. Sometimes, when doing role call, instead of 'here', it's "howdy Applejack!" And they say it to her.

My room is plastered with science stuff, superheroes, and artwork, but my one window is the 'pony window'. That's where we hang out pony pics!

The kids love it, and I let out my inner Brony. Hasn't bitten me yet, but it may.

4699168 thanks I'll check it!

4699123 following him now. That sound wrong somehow

Stalking isn't bad... right? :applejackconfused: I mean, isn't that what everyone on this site does for each other?

4699190 You might as well change "followers" to "stalkers". ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That was a bad joke...

Whaaaaaat? Noooooo...

And since people are already self-advertising all over the place: my story Paper Promises had a very good response with my readers and I pretty much wrote it as a "teach kids something important" kind of story.

It's a bit short, but if you're okay with that I'd be honored if you'd consider it.

the fact that regular people make them is amazing to them.

Have you contacted any of the authors you've read? Many would be delighted to know they were being read, and some might answer any questions the kids have.

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

Project: Sunflower if they want to hear an epic.

How Ponyville Was Made if they can hear a Dark one.

Eat at Pony Joe's for a Comedy

And Three Goddesses, the Apple, and the Stallion for a fairy tale.

Finally, check out the group Rated 'E' for Everyone for a further list.

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

Any of his stories are good to read to children, or at least all the ones I've read.

Mhm :twilightsmile: I'm glad someone else thinks so too. And as an added bonus, I'm don't have to feel like a tool for self-promoting XD (That is to say I don't have any stories that are in that E rating that I think kids would be able to connect with yet. Not sure that my OC story would quite capture their interest :derpyderp2:)

4698945 That's a pretty cool thing you've got going on.

I'm not really sure on the intended age group here so I'll just put down some of the softest stories I know of. They can be a little random as most of them will be comedies and it's been a while since I've read them so I'll try to do my best to keep to E rated stories unless I think the T rating is on the soft side. Hope my list helps. :pinkiehappy:
The Rainbow Incident
Arachnophobia
Evil Belle
Discorded Lessons Chaos Theory
Trixie Lulamoon: Prodigy
The Incredibly Troubled Mind Of Rainbow Dash (It's been a long time since I've read this story and it is a rather long one, but I remember it being adorable, then again my memory is horrible. Might want to skim through this one before reading it if you're up for reading a story this long.)
One Word
Reading Rainbow (I remember this one being adorable as well, it's also a slightly shorter one. I would still recommend skimming over the story as well just in case.)
Hope this short list helps :twilightsheepish:

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to remove the link to your own story... See: 4699076

4698945 You can check my "favourite" page. Of 10 stories there, 9 are suitable to your needs (and the last one only has some sexual reference and is clearly tagged).

Then, while you're there, if you want to also check out mines...

4699173 Do you think those kids have watched Equestria Girls? If so, I know a good fic or two.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 50