• Published 14th Apr 2013
  • 4,806 Views, 164 Comments

A Mare's Defense - Timber Wolf



King Sombra was defeated, but he escaped by kidnapping Twilight. A year goes by until they catch wind of where she is. She is found in her weakest moment, but her defence is high. Only Shining Armor and Cadence can calm her down enough to help.

  • ...
22
 164
 4,806
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 41 )

i wll admit i did find a lot to like in this chapter............. well except that nonsense with making a ponified house............. really?

Doctor House nice references short but sweet

I don't know what to think of ponyfing House. On one hoof that is so cool. The other...really? I wish the chapters were longer and to be honest hope that Forest Oak doesn't live. It wouldn't be realistic. Twilight was malnourished. She is lucky that Scarlet Lily is alive. Also, I went back and reread some chapters. Ponies don't have umbilical chords.

Another great chapter! Keep up the good work!

Allowing the filly to live on through her brother's survival is far preferable to putting her in a tiny pine box in a mighty dark plot.
After all, a chance, however slim, is still a chance.

After each one, Shining Armor could see that his nephew was loosing his fight for life.

losing

a group of doctors was having a quite conversation

quiet

>>Alert! Plot Hole Detected!<<

I don't understand why Twilight's mother would have a problem with trying to save the other one. I can accept that maybe organ transplants are still in an experimental stage in Equestria. Perhaps there might be a social stigma towards them, or maybe ponies are suspicious of it. You need to establish a reason for her to be freaking out because right now, it seems like she's just doing it as a cheap plot device to artificially inflate the level of drama. In addition, Celestia is out of character. She would never (and I mean NEVER) snap at one of her ponies like that, regardless of the circumstances. She might take a firmer tone of voice, but she wouldn't get visibly mad.

Better a short chapter than no chapter. I'm curious where you're going with this story though.

4050129

Celestia is out of character. She would never (and I mean NEVER) snap at one of her ponies like that, regardless of the circumstances.

I don't know. Her student, who she sees as a daughter, was kidnapped, raped, and almost murdered. Then, when they finally save Twilight, one of her foals dies and another may as well. I can see even Celestia's calm faltering.

4052408 She's had hundreds, perhaps even thousands, of years of practice. Ponies are nervous enough about her power when she's calm and happy. If she snapped at one, most ponies would soil themselves and have nightmares for years. She can't risk it. She probably blames herself somewhat for Twilight's trauma, so the last thing she'd want to do would be to traumatize another pony as well, adding another one to her conscience.

As a general guideline, two criteria must be fulfilled before she is portrayed as angry enough to break through her facade: a) the target is threatening a large group of innocents, if not all of Equestria, and b) the target is powerful (or thinks they're powerful) enough to threaten even her. Think of who was able to piss her off in the show: Discord, Chrysalis, and maybe Sombra. They all met those criteria.

4052950 You realize you're going off fanon, right? Ponies aren't that nervous around her normally. In fact, in the few scenes from the show where other ponies are interacting with her, they tend to be calm (excluding Twilight). Also, who says she never loses her temper a little? For all we know, she only puts on that mask for Twilight. It's obvious she was never as close to her other students as she is to Twilight as none of the others were made a princess (unless Cadence was a student), so it's doubtful she has experience having something so tragic happen to one so close to her. In fact, I can guarantee she has NO experience with this at all. That alone would be enough to shake her, dealing with something new to her.

4053462 On the contrary, fanon didn't even come to mind when I was stating that. On second thought, though, I suppose the nervousness I was thinking of could just as easily have been the kind of nervousness that comes from interacting with any famous figure, so I'll concede that point.

Who says she doesn't? The only times she ever got mad in the show were when her subjects were in danger, as with Discord and Chrysalis. I said "maybe Sombra" because while it didn't show her getting mad, the fact that she took action may somewhat imply that it might have, hence the "maybe".

Thinking about it further, I think we're both missing the point. The allegedly-OOC behavior shouldn't have come about in the first place because the situation that brought it out is contrived. Like I said in my first post, there's no reason given for Twilight Velvet to be so resistant to the idea of a transplant, so there shouldn't be a reason for Celestia to get angry at her. That's a rather significant plot hole.

I think I'll go back and edit my first post and add my signature plot hole detection warning. I like my plot hole detection warning.

4054500 As to the point with Velvet, I'd say she sees it as desecration of the body of her deceased grandson. It doesn't make sense to you (or admittedly myself), but we still have the capacity to think logically. Her grief is influencing her.

4054808 Perhaps. Doesn't mean it's not a plot hole. If what you suggest is indeed the case, sealing the plot hole would be a very simple fix-- just a throwaway line from Velvet about desecration and/or from someone else about how the grief is making her freak out should do the job.

4055299 An apology in the next chapter would also suffice.

4055348 I suppose so. Apologies all around-- Velvet for losing her head and Celestia for losing her cool. Considering the author's style, a patch like that is probably the most we can hope for.

Always nice to debate with someone intelligent and level-headed. It doesn't happen much on the internet, or even in public areas in general.

4055389 Slap fights are fun, too :trollestia:

As much as velvet is acting out of grief, that filly isn't a meat bag with spare organs for free use. The dead should be respected, bring it up again because if you didn't that would make the situation cheap and just unneeded drama to a situation that's already tense.

hows that update coming along :twilightblush:

I need more, seriously!:pinkiehappy:

When's the next chapter!?

ponified House? Had to happen some time:pinkiehappy:

When the next chapter ?

i like it hope to read more soon:twilightsmile:

Far from perfect but a really great idea that I hope to see more of soon.

Any word on how the next chapter is coming?

Scarlet Lily... Forest Oak... Is only one of them going to live?

So will there be another chapter?

i know i commented on this chapter before and i am sorry to bug you i was just wondering if by any chance you know when you might post next chapter :fluttershysad: i understand that life can get in the way and i don't want to rash you or anything i just asking if you don't know that is okay and take your time on making a grate chapter

Wow when will there be more this is great:twilightsmile:

sorry to bug you again but I was wondering when the next update is going to happen I really hope to read a new chapter soon

HOUSE!!! Awesome!:rainbowdetermined2: I found this character addition hilarious but I will say it took away from the dark mood. But that might be a good thing with how tragic the tale was so far so I am fine with it. I am really looking forward to seeing some of Twilight's recovery before she has to face the father of her foals. She has been hurt so I really want to see the results of Sombra's torture for a while before he eventually comes back. Sombra wouldn't stupidly attack Canterlot in broad daylight with Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining, and the Elements there after all. This is the type of villain that waits and hits you where it hurts most, or in this case comes back for round two after dominating round one. Great job so far and I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

while i'd have preferred the chapters be longer, this has worked well.

I can't help thinking now that Sombra got twi pregnant just to make her suffer more, knowing the grief a mother feels when she loses her children. I mean, one of her foals dies INSIDE of her, another is close to death and will probably BE dead when she wakes up, and the only one that survives is the one that looks like her father.

Man, the guy is twisted as shit!

6262096 Yea that's probably true...Good point!

So hows that next chapter coming along

4121652
Which is why the doctors needed permission from Twilight or her proxy to do it, just like in real life. It doesn't matter what the child would have wanted parents can still prevent their organs from being donated. It was followed by the book.

sorry to bug you again but do you know when you might be updating this story???

are you pland on finsh this story

sorry for bugging you again but it has been so long since you last updated it makes me wounder if you'll ever update

good story I like it but wish there was moar

I just got done reading this chapter and this story is so awesome please make more chapters soon.

An interesting story, wish there was more of it

Login or register to comment