• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 2,323 Views, 39 Comments

Equestria Noir Side Story "Who am I?" - Jacoboby1



side story set in the Noirverse starring Pinkie Pie and Swarm

  • ...
2
 39
 2,323

"Who am I?"

Equestria Noir

Side Story

“Who am I?”

Perspective: Drone #1,183

Such a bright light, a bright green warm light,

Where am I?

Who am I?

What am I?

Such questions ring as I take the first breath of life.

I hear a voice speaking. I cannot make out the words…

Ow! Stop hurting me! What did I do!

Why are you hurting me!? What did I do wrong!?

What did we do wrong?

The pain stops, we understand…

We are a drone, meant to serve…

We are 1,183…to serve the swarm…

We, are part of the swarm…

Swarm…

_________________________________________________________

Perspective: Swarm

“Swarmy, wake up!” I heard a cheerful voice call as I awoke from slumber. I stretched my legs and shook my head, realizing I had transformed into my true form while asleep. What a nightmare, a terrible nightmare about my first days of-

BOOM!!!!

I fell out of my bed at the sound of Pinkie Pie’s party cannon. I heard ponies usually used alarm clocks. When you live with a pony as lively as Pinkie Pie however, you tend to get used to wake up calls such as this. My wings buzzed a little as Pinkie looked at me her nose inches from mine. “You really got to get up quicker, so far we’ve already missed um, about seventeen and a half minutes of fun time,” she said, checking a watch that mysteriously appeared out of nowhere.

“Alright,” I said, climbing to my hooves. “Just let me change and I’ll be right down.”

"Okie Dokie Lokie," Pinkie chirped, bouncing out of the storage room. Mr and Mrs. Cake gave it to me a while back after I had refused their offer to take the twin’s room. I liked the smell of the stored baked goods, it helped me sleep better. I can’t explain it, but I felt more at home inside the dark storage room.

It wasn’t uncomfortable, and they were eager to provide me with a spare bed and all the comforts I required. I only took what I needed however, not wanting to impose on their kindness.

I walked to a nearby mirror and looked at my true insectile form. I remembered when I'd first come here and the Cake twins saw what I really looked like. They cried for hours and babbled about a scary monster in their room. Luckily, it wasn’t too long before they started warm up to me. I guessed being a friend of Pinkie Pie’s really helped.

I shook my head and got ready to don my pony guise. I focused my mind on the image of the pony I wanted to look like. Long ago I crafted this form using Shining Armor for inspiration. He seemed to gain quite a deal of love from Cadence, so that seemed logical to use as a base.

When I opened my now green eyes, I saw the stallion staring back at me in the mirror. My long red mane fell over my eyes and my white coat shone a little in the lantern light. I couldn’t replicate a cutie mark since the pony before me doesn’t really exist. I did get a few stares the first time somepony saw a grown stallion as a blank flank.

I shook the mane out of my eyes and smiled, muttering, “Alright Swarm, time to start the day.”

____________________________________________________________

Perspective: Pinkie Pie

I bounced up the stairs leaving Swarmy to change. He was settling in pretty well. At first a couple of ponies were really mean when they found out he’s a changeling, but that didn’t matter; Swarmy is my friend and my very very very special somepony. He wouldn’t hurt a fly, maybe that’s because he’s kinda like a bug too? Only there are bugs that eat bugs, so maybe Swarmy does eat flies? I should ask him that one day…

I heard crying from the kitchen and sprang into action! Hold on, Pound Cake! Pinkie Pie is..

EW… I ran in the kitchen to find Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake playing with some blocks on the floor. I don’t know how Mr and Mrs. Cake do it, but I’ll never get used to poopy pants smell. I tentatively picked up Pound Cake, he smelled like something out of a garbage dump wrapped in old oatmeal.

I quickly set to work changing his diaper. As I was doing so I saw Mrs. Cake entering with a new patch of, well, cakes of course. “Oh, Pinkie dear, I’m glad you caught him,” she said happily.

“Yeah, well,” I said, removing the gas mask I was wearing, after banishing the poopy diaper to the land of garbage, “there's nothing to this baby sitting business, Mrs. Cake.”

I put a fresh diaper on the colt and left him with his sister. I followed behind Mrs. Cake and asked, “So, are those for the party tonight?”

She laughed and replied, “Yes, Pinkie, they are for Swarm’s surprise, ‘We’ve been together for five months party.’ Carrot and I have been working on these all night.” She yawned a really big yawn and continued, “Somepony not wanting to go to sleep also contributed to it.”

Pumpkin Cake gave an innocent smile, right before trying to bite down on a frosting bottle. I quickly swiped it from her before she could turn it into a meal. No matter how good frosting is, we don’t eat the bottle.

I set the bottle on a counter where I knew Pumpkin couldn’t reach. I then asked Mrs. Cake, “So, where’s Mr. Cake, anyway?”

“He went over to pick up some grape juice from Grapevine Hills,“ she said, putting the cakes down on the table. “Also, you’ll never guess who I ran into while I was running to get some flour this morning.”

“Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!” I said, bouncing over to her. I loved guessing games so much! Although, it’s not as much fun as when Twilight does guessing games. She always picks like a telescope or something. However, that’s not important right now, “So who didja see? Was it Daring Do? Darkskyz? Sherrie Illusions? Jacoboby1?”

She blinked and shook her head, replying, “No dearie, why it was Lickety Split. You remember the colt that used to help in the kitchen around here?”

Lickety Split was another friend of mine. His family owned an Ice Cream business that made the most delicious banana splits ever! He'd moved away a while back but it’s so great to hear he's back He used to have a part time job at Sugar Cube Corner before he moved so we'd become friends while working.

“I should invite him to the party too!” I exclaimed, happily. “I’ll round up the last of the invitations right away!”

This was going to be so much fun!!

___________________________________________________________

Perspective: Swarm

I didn’t understand why Pinkie wanted me to go get a bunch of pickles. On top of that she had me go on errands for most of the day. I found it quite strange. Then again, this is the same mare who wanted me to transform into an ursa minor just to scare Trixie. I only ended up transforming into half an ursa but the effect still worked. I'd kept Trixie from stealing the “great and delicious snacks” from Twilight’s fridge that night.

My stomach growled a little. Mr. Cake hadn't been around when I woke up so I couldn’t feed on the love that he felt when he saw Mrs. Cake. I always like to fill myself with pure love whenever possible. Their's was a love that transcended all things. Having twins, growing older, the stress of running the biggest bakery in town, nothing seemed to get in the way.

I heard some arguing as I entered the park area. There was Lyra and Bon Bon, arguing with one another. I hadn’t eaten breakfast today…

“Lyra, this is getting out of hoof!” Bon Bon shouted at her marefriend “For the last time, there isn’t a human living in the Everfree forest!”

“I saw it!” Lyra retorted, defending herself. “I saw something run into the bushes as I was picking some flowers for the shop!”

“You know I don’t need flowers for the shop,” Bon Bon fired back. “You just wanted an excuse to go human hunting again! I’ve put up with this for a while, but now it has to stop! There are no such things as humans! Most of us figured that out when we were six! I’m not going on another run through the woods just because you think you saw a human!”

Lyra then started crying, I felt her sorrow oozing out of her. It tasted sour in my mouth, I hated this taste. I don’t know how Changelings like Zazz could prefer it. Lyra sobbed as she went on, “You never wanna go with me…”

“Lyra,” Bon Bon said gently, “I’m sorry, really. I’m just worried about you is all.”

“I just wanted do something with you,” Lyra said, turning away from her marefriend to hide her tears. “Is that so much to ask for?”

Bon Bon’s expression softened, and she walked to her, pulling her into a tender hug. Lyra buried her muzzle into her marefriend’s chest and held onto her tightly. Bon Bon began stroking Lyra’s back soothingly. “I’m sorry, alright," she said gently. "I didn’t mean to cause a fuss. I just don’t want you getting yourself hurt over something like this.”

With that Lyra kissed her marefriend and I felt love’s sweet taste enter me. Such pure unadulterated love was always a joy to have. I only took enough to nourish me so that they wouldn’t notice I did it. I wasn’t going to suck them dry just because I’m a little peckish.

I walked on a little further and saw a sorry sight. There sitting on the park bench, was Lily and she was crying. The pink coated, blond maned, earth pony had her face in her hooves. I walked to her and said with concern, “Lily?”

She looked at me with tear filled yellow eyes and sniffed, “Oh, hi Swarm, sorry you have to see me like this.”

“What happened?” I asked, feeling the sour taste of sorrow and the bitter taste of anger on her.

“It’s Noteworthy!” she exclaimed, tears running down her face. “He’s been avoiding me all week! On top of that, he has the gall to forget my birthday today! You’d think after dating him for over a year he’d understand how I feel.”

Noteworthy was a jazz musician who'd lived in Ponyville for almost his whole life. He originally came from Canterlot but had moved here to get away from the city. Lily had started dating him a while back and as far as I knew their relationship was sound. This changed that view quite a bit however.

“Maybe I could find him and ask what’s going,” I suggested, trying to offer some comfort.

“You’d do that, Swarm?” Lily asked, wiping her eyes.

“I’ll see what I can do” I said, a small smile on my lips.

As I left Lily I felt reassurance exuding from her. It was rather sweet but nothing like love. I wanted Lily and Noteworthy to have that love.

_____________________________________________________________

After asking Noteworthy’s band where he went I found him over at Potso’s place. He was sitting at one of the tables nursing a breadstick. I looked over at the rather large owner of the restaurant questioningly and asked, “He’s been here all day?”

Potso nodded and replied, “When I ask him if he’d like anything he just kind of sighs. Poor fella,” he said, concern evident in his voice, “I can tell something is on his heart but he isn’t willing to confide in anypony.”

I nodded and walked up to Noteworthy. Before I could even speak he gave me a glare and snarled, “What do you want, Changeling?”

I blinked and replied firmly, “Lily is looking for you.”

“I know that,” he replied, before going back to his breadstick.

I raised an eyebrow and asked, “So, why aren’t you going to comfort her?”

“That’s none of your business,” he snapped.

“Look I’m just trying to-“

“Take our love?” he interrupted, nastily.

I stared at Noteworthy as the blue earth pony rose from his seat. The glare on his face was evident as he said accusatorially, “I know you come by the square every day to feed on ponies that are in love. What does a leech like you care for Lily or me?”

“I’m just trying to help,” I said, weakly, unable to meet his gaze.

“So you can get your lunch?” Noteworthy growled. “Well don’t stick your nose or whatever you call your face in other ponies business and leave us alone.”

“She’s crying back there!” I shouted, causing the ponies in the restaurant to stare

“That’s my problem!” Noteworthy shouted. “Now get out of my face!”

With that he stormed out before I could stop him. I sighed, that didn't help at all…

_____________________________________________________________

I stared at Lily as she cried on the park bench. I saw her friends, Rose and Daisy trying to comfort her over Noteworthy. If only that idiot would get here and explain why he’d been avoiding her!

Maybe, I could…

I was halfway to transforming into Noteworthy before I stopped myself. Even if I did pretend to be Noteworthy what would I say? Even if I could find the right words, was it really right to lie to her like that? The instinct inside me only wanted the love that Lily gave Noteworthy. I knew that if I changed into him, Lily would cling to me and ask for me back. That alone would fill me for a month…

I shook my head, it’s wrong! If the real Noteworthy found out I couldn’t ever forgive myself. Lily didn’t deserve to be put through that either. Noteworthy would have to stallion up and face her himself.

I’m still sad I could not help her though. Poor Lily…

_____________________________________________________________

Perspective: Pinkie Pie

“Okay Dashie, a little to the left. No your other left, now you’ve gone too far. Now send it back just a tiny bit to the right. Now turn it thirty seven degrees, no that’s thirty six point nine nine nine nine nine nine ni-”

“PINKIE!” Dash shouted as she glared down at me.

I grinned and giggled. “Sorry, got a little carried away.”

The sky blue pegasus just stuck the banner on, perhaps a few centimeters off, but she wasn’t about to let me do it again. I looked around as everypony helped me get the party ready. Rainbow and Raiden were working together to stick up the streamers. Rarity finished up with the tables as Mr. and Mrs. Cake finished decorating the big cake. I ran over as Mr. Cake set it on the table.

This would be the first party dedicated to Swarm. He’d been a big help at all my other parties, mostly for providing a lot of great impressions. The one where he transformed into Octavia and played in a mariachi band still makes me giggle.

“Pinkie Pie?” I heard a voice speak up behind me. I turned and saw Lickety Split, he was taller than when I saw him last. His long light blond mane came down over one of his eyes. He had a nice brown coat that went with it. He smiled wide upon seeing me and exclaimed, “I haven’t seen you in a year!”

“Hey Lickety,” I cried, running to him. “How have you been?”

“Things have been better, to be honest,” he replied with a sigh. “My parents lost our shop in the changeling attack, but we managed to start rebuilding.”

“Well,” I said, smiling at him, “you know we are going to have a party in a little bit. Why don’t you turn that frowny upside downy and come join”

He smiled wide and said, “Sounds great, also Pinkie, can I talk to you for a second before the party starts?”

“Sure thing” I said, before turning, “just let me finish up with the balloons and I’ll be right there.”

_______________________________________________________

I tilted my head in confusion as Lickety presented the rose to me. “What’s this for?”

“I thought you’d like it,” Lickety said, his face blushing a little.

“Lickety,” I blinked and stared at him. “I don’t understand, how long have you…”

“A long time,” he said, meeting my eyes. “Ever since I started working in this kitchen I’ve grown to care about you. I love your laugh, your smile, your happy attitude. What stallion wouldn’t want that in a marefriend?”

“Lickety,” I looked down, not feeling right by saying this, “there’s somepony else.”

“Who?” he asked in shock, “Who are you with now?”

“Swarm,” I answered. “Swarmy and I have been together for over five months. This party is a dedication to that”

“Swarmy?” he asked, looking at me in confusion. “What kind of name is that?”

I was about to answer when Private called from the door, “Swarm’s coming, everypony!”

With that everypony zoomed into their hiding places including me. From my hiding place inside the lampshade I peered out as Private dimmed the lights. Slowly but surely Swarm opened the door and walked in, his green eyes scanned the dark room.

Then Private turned on the lights and we all shouted, “SURPRISE!!!”

Swarm almost fell back in shock as the party started in full swing. I zoomed over to Swarm and smiled wide, saying, “Hiya Swarmy, welcome to your ‘you’ve been with us five months party!’”

“Pinkie this is,” he looked down and finally said, “amazing!” He laughed and looked around at the party. “I’ve never had a party thrown in my honor before.”

“Well, now ya have!” I smiled and hugged him close. “Come on, Applejack wants you to try a new recipe for Apple dumplings!”

I hopped over to the food table, Vinyl was putting on a record and the party really began. Everypony was happily dancing, eating or just enjoying each other's company. This was so great! Everypony was making Swarmy feel welcome all over again! This is the best pa-

The record scratched as Lickety stopped it. Everypony looked at him; I noticed he was glaring at Swarm. “You!” he cried pointing, “You’re a changeling!”

“Um,” Raiden answered, “most of us already knew that.”

“You know that and you still let him in?” Lickety shouted. “Have you all lost your minds?”

“What’s going on here?” Private asked, walking to Lickety.

“You’re that detective, right?” Lickety shouted.

“I am,” Private answered, his grey eyes gazing at my friend. “What’s your beef with Swarm?”

“That thing tried to destroy Canterlot,” Lickety answered, glaring at Swarmy, “or did you all forget the attack?”

“I didn’t harm anypony,” Swarm said, trying to defend himself. “I only came to look for Pinkie Pie!”

“So you could cast your spell on her,” Lickety accused, stomping over to Swarm.

“What are you talking about?” I asked. “What spell?”

“I saw it in Canterlot myself,” Lickety shouted. “One of the changelings cast a spell on my mother! She fell in love with him and opened our shop door! Just enough so that a small hive could fly in and destroy everything!”

“Swarmy would never do that,” I cried, standing between them.

“Pinkie!” Lickety cried. “You don’t know that you could be under the spell too!”

“Swarmy wouldn’t put a spell on me!” I shouted back. Nopony was going to be a big meanie pants to my Swarmy on…

I looked at Swarmy for a minute. His green eyes looked confused and he stuttered, “I didn’t, no I didn’t…”

“Chrysalis used the same spell on Shining Armor!” Lickety shouted, Twilight started fuming at the memory but Private held her back. “Now you see he’s just trying to get you all to trust him! Why should any of us trust what he sa-“

Suddenly Swarmy outright tackled him. He transformed into his true form and hissed at Lickety, “Stop lying right now! I’d never hurt Pinkie or force her under a spell!”

Lickety smirked and said, “Take a look around insect.”

Swarmy did, some of the ponies who were not so friendly with him glared back. Some of us avoided looking at Swarm as he stood over Lickety. Swarm’s eyes, big and blue, looked down at his holey legs. Then his wings buzzed and he flew out as fast as he could before I could stop him.

Swarmy…

____________________________________________________________

Perspective: Swarm

No! No I didn’t! I didn’t cast a spell on her! I didn’t! I didn’t!!

I flew away, it was dark enough that nopony would see me. I blended into the night and it suited me, I guess. I had no idea where I was going, what I was doing, but somehow I ended up close to the Everfree forest.

I walked a little ways, just thinking of everything that Lickety said. While it was true that many changelings had the power to control the minds of others, did I do it? I don’t remember much during the invasion of Canterlot. Could I, or another hive member, have cast a spell on Pinkie to make her love me?

I heard a cry of pain and looked over into some bushes. I saw a green light coming from them. A Changeling transforming? I brushed aside the bushes and looked on in shock. There was Noteworthy; he was on the ground, writhing in pain just as the last of his body transformed from his normal blue coat to the black carapace of a Changeling.

“Swarm,” he cried, spotting me, “don’t, don’t look at me!”

“You’re a changeling!” I shouted, looking down at him with wide eyes “What, since when?”

“I didn’t know I was,” Noteworthy cried, he grunted in pain as he tried again to transform himself back to normal.

I walked to him, gently helping him onto his haunches. Transformation can be painful for a beginner because of the mental and physical concentration it requires. I touched horns with his and he slowly but surely transformed back to his normal blue self.

I gazed at him and asked, “Is this why you’ve been avoiding Lily?”

He slowly nodded, “I, I just didn’t want her to see me like that.”

“You didn’t know you were a changeling?” I asked.

“I think I’m a sleeper agent or something,” Noteworthy said, looking down at his hooves. “When I look back at my life it all starts to make sense. My music made me feel stronger, I never cared for regular food, and my parents talked about a teddy bear I used to love as a kid but suddenly didn’t think of anymore the next day.”

“You were switched at birth,” I stated. “Not uncommon, many changeling hives plant their own children as a means of infiltration, should an invasion occur.”

“I went my entire life not knowing I was a monster,” Noteworthy said, looking down at the ground. “I remember mom giving me these pills. She said it was for a sleeping disorder and that I should always take them alone. That whole time, I was a changeling recharging the spell in my sleep.”

I reached out and put a hoof on his shoulder, asking, “When did you find out?”

“About a week ago,” Noteworthy explained. “I forgot to take my medicine one night and I woke up at midnight as a cherry red pegasus. I then found out I’m like you.”

I looked away from him, ashamed.

“Swarm, I,” he started to say.

“Go to her,” I interrupted, “just go to Lily and tell her what you are.”

“If I do she won't-“

“Then she won’t love you anymore?” I asked, glaring at him. “You and Lily have been together for a long time! Your love has always been pure! I know because I’ve tasted it myself! Quit filling her with sorrow and explain everything to her! I’m sick of lies!”

With that I flew away, leaving a bewildered Noteworthy behind.

___________________________________________________

The stars came out as I stared at myself in a nearby pond. I was in my true form, an ugly hideous form, which many feared. I was the enemy of so many ponies. I was a freak in every sense of the word.

Did I truly love Pinkie Pie, or is she just food to me and I only called it love as a means to justify it?

Am I really an individual, when I am just one part of a hive? My own name Swarm is a stamp on that fact…

Just, who am I? Can I condemn these ponies for fearing me?

Pretend to ignore the glares they give me?

Must my name be a mark on what I am?

Not who I am…

Do… we… even have a place in this world?

“My dear Swarm,” I heard a voice behind me. I turned around and saw in wide eyed horror; Queen Chrysalis was walking towards me. “I would say it’s wonderful to see you again, but I think you’ve had enough of lies today.”

“Chrysalis!” My wings buzzed as I crouched and hissed at her, “I don’t know what you want, but I’m willing to fight you again, should you try anything!”

“Must this be a violent meeting, Swarm?” Chrysalis asked. “Can I not see my children just because they rebel against me?”

“You are far from the definition of mother, I can think of several other words far more fitting,” I hissed.

“Swarm, I’m not here to harm you, but to help you see” she said, her green eyes gazing at me, her blue mane cascading down.

“See what exactly?” I asked, maintaining my glare.

“That what you are trying to do is folly,” she said, in a sickeningly soothing tone. “You know in your heart that you will never be accepted among them.”

“I,” I looked down for a minute, maybe she was, NO! I can’t give into her! “Speak your piece or I will bite your tongue!”

“Very well,” Chrysalis said. “You know a long time ago, there was a princess who was in love with a powerful sorcerer. However, he did not return her feelings, and instead merely used her affections to keep bringing in wealth for his experiments. When she discovered the truth she desperately tried to make him fall in love. In an attempt to do so she caused a lab accident that magically tore her apart. The result was my ancestor…”

“What does this have to do with me?” I asked.

“Simple,” she answered, “You are trying to convince yourself that falling in love will grant you happiness. In the end, though, all flowers wilt, all feelings fade, and all love dies. That is why we feed upon love, for we do not suffer under it, we are its master.”

“Pinkie…”

“Did she ever really love you?” she asked. “I can assure you, you have cast no spell on her. Maybe she pities you? Knowing that creatures like us cannot feel true love? So many questions must ring in your head.”

“I still don’t understand.”

“What I’m trying to do Swarm,” she said putting a hoof under my chin and lifting it to meet her eyes “is give you back the life you had, before you even met Pinkie Pie.”

“Why would I want to be a slave again?” I asked.

“As a slave you may have had no choice, but had no questions either. The truth of the matter is, Pinkie will eventually leave you for a true pony. She will fall in love with another, and leave you behind. It’s because you are a changeling, as a result she will only ever see you as that. When she does, you will be so heartbroken, that you'll beg me to return you to normal.”

….

“Never to feel pain again, to be free of the emotions that cloud your mind.”

….

“Never caring when others scorn you.”

….

“Never, to ever feel the pain that love can bring…”

We…

We don’t…

Want to feel…

Pain anymore….

We are Drone number 1,183…

We are part of a whole…

“SWARMY!” Pinkie yelled.

We blinked and looked to see Pinkie Pie firing a cannon ball at us. Chrysalis cursed herself under her breath and flew out of the way. The ball exploded in the pond nearby.

Pinkie glared at Chrysalis and I saw the rest of the town behind her. Pinkie cried out to me, “Swarmy, it was all a trick! Lickety Split was a changeling the whole time!”

What?

Private came out and aimed his weapon at Chrysalis. “I became suspicious after Lickety made the statement about his mother," he said. "I did a little digging and found out that the real Lickety Split is in Canterlot right now. So, we all came to find you, Swarm. Noteworthy pointed us in the right direction.”

“Why are you trying to save him?” Chrysalis asked, glaring at the gathered crowd “He is a changeling, not like you!”

“You've lived your entire life putting up smoke and mirrors,” Twilight called, aiming her horn at the queen. “You cannot see past what you are! The only pony who can decide who Swarm is, is Swarm!”

Rainbow Dash flew above the crowd and smacked her hooves together. “Swarm is our friend. We’re like a hive too, you mess with one of us and you’ll get us all!”

“Foul ponies!” Chrysalis said, as she took off, leaving us behind.

The crowd ran after her, all except Pinkie who ran to us. She shook us for a minute ordering, “Swarmy, snap out of it!”

“We are 1,183,” we said slowly.

“No you’re not,” Pinkie cried. “You’re Swarmy! You’re my friend!”

“Quit lying, Pinkie!” we said. “We’re sick of all the lies! We are not your friend! Why did you even come for us?”

“We came because we didn’t want you gone,” a voice behind us said. We turned around to see Private coming up with some of the townsfolk. “You may be a changeling, Swarm, but you’re still part of us. Part of our hive, and we didn’t want Chrysalis to take you.”

“Such a foul b-,“ Rarity cut herself off before she could say it with virgin ears in earshot, “um, brute. Darling, Pinkie Pie trusts you, that’s good enough for most of us.”

We just stared at them as the group left to search the forest for Chrysalis. We, still do not understand… why?

_______________________________________________________

Perspective: Chrysalis

Foul ponies! Ruining my scheme to get Swarm back to the hive where that insolent drone belongs!

What could they possibly see in him to inspire such loyalty? Oh, they’ll come around eventually, and when they do, they won’t be so eager to keep him.

I used the cover of the night to sneak my way into town. I disguised myself as a simple pegasus to hide myself from them. I walked by a nearby house when I heard talking. I peeked in the window to see a blue earth pony and a pink one talking to one another.

“Lily,” the blue one said, looking down at his hooves.

“Where were you, Noteworthy?” Lily asked, walking to the stallion. “I’ve been worried sick all week! Why did you keep avoiding me like that?”

Noteworthy met the eyes of the mare and stepped back. Suddenly a green flame surrounded him and before my very eyes drone # 124 appeared. I had forgotten about him, he was among the first hatched. I had placed him here as a sleeper agent years ago.

Lily fell back in shock, gasping, “You’re a changeling!”

“Lily, please…” 124 begged, “please just let me explain.”

“Where’s the real Noteworthy, you monster!” she cried. “What did you do to him?”

124 bowed his head and said, “I don’t know.”

Lily blinked her golden eyes and asked, “What do you mean?”

“I only found out I was a changeling a week ago,” he explained. “The reason I avoided you all week was because I was afraid of how you would react.”

Lily just kept staring, not saying anything. Oh she’ll destroy him good; I can already smell the anger in her heart… bah! Who mixed in worry?

“I’m still the same Noteworthy,” 124 said, closing his eyes and slowly changing into his blue earth pony form. “I didn’t know I was a changeling! You gotta believe me, Lily!”

Lily looked down, I smelled the strong scent of anger and sorrow, and oh it was so…

“Just answer me this,” Lily said, meeting the stallion’s eyes, “What am I to you?”

“What are you saying?” 124 asked.

“I need to know, am I just food?” Lily asked, her eyes welling up in tears. “When you left for that concert I missed you every day! I wanted you here with me! Then you come back and you avoid me because you were scared I would leave you. So what am I, Noteworthy? Am I just your love provider or do you really care?”

Noteworthy closed his eyes, and then said solemnly, “There was another reason I stayed away for a while, before I found out I was a changeling.”

“What reason was that?” Lily asked, longing mingling with her scent of sorrow.

“I was,” he said, reaching into his pocket and pulled out a small box, “getting this…”

Lily covered her mouth in shock, joy and hope flooding from her like a great river. It was truly sickening!

“You’re not just some meal,” Noteworthy said with all his heart. “I’ve loved you every day since our time together first began. I spent nearly two weeks running around so I could get the money for this. I did it because I love you.” He then kneeled down, and slowly opened the box to reveal an engagement ring. “Lily, will you marry me?”

Lily choked up, love poured out of her before she embraced the stallion tightly “Yes, Noteworthy! I will marry you! I don’t care that you’re a changeling! I don’t want you to leave me again! I can’t stand it!”

Noteworthy held her tenderly and I felt love come out of him as well. 124…you too have fallen prey…

It is truly sickening…

___________________________________________________________

Perspective: Drone # 1,183

We sat down by the pond; Pinkie Pie was beside us, running her hoof along our carapace. It felt… pleasant.

“Swarmy, why don’t you talk to me?” Pinkie begged, turning our head to face her. “Just tell me what’s wrong.”

“Pinkie,” we said, looking at her. “If you want to meet a true pony, go ahead.”

“What kind of crazy talk is that,” Pinkie Pie shouted. “Swarmy quit talking like that! Chrysalis was tricking you into believing this!”

“She’s right!” we shouted back. “We aren’t a true pony, the ponies of Ponyville maybe fine but what about the rest of Equestria? They will never accept us! We will always be an outcast among your kind!”

“Swarmy, quit it!” Pinkie said, tears in her eyes. I felt… hurt.

“Pinkie,” we said slowly, “we want you to be happy. Not with a changeling who steals your love, but a true pony.”

“Swarmy,” she suddenly hugged us tight, pulling me closer…no, us closer…

“You never stole my love!” she said, looking at me with tear stained eyes. “I gave it to you! Swarmy, I love you! I always have!”

“Even if it’s a spell?” I, we asked, slowly.

“If it’s a spell,” she said, hugging us tighter, “then I don’t want it taken off. I want you, Swarmy; you’re my very very very special somepony. Even if you aren’t a pony. I love how you make others laugh, I love your kind heart, and I don’t care if you’re a changeling. I know the Swarmy I like is on the inside. No matter what form you take on, I know in your heart, you’re my Swarmy…”

Pinkie Pie…

We…

I…

I love…

I….

Perspective: Swarm

“I love you,”

“Swarmy, you said I!!” She exclaimed in sheer joy. “You’re back to no-“

I cut her off when I planted my lips onto hers. I felt tears streaming down from my eyes. I felt all her love poured into that kiss. She loved me! She really loved me!

I am not Drone 1,183!!

I am a citizen of Ponyville!

I am a friend to its ponies!

I am Pinkie’s very special somepony!

I am Swarm!!!

“Pinkie Pie,” I said, looking at her with tear filled eyes, “thanks for not giving up on me.”

“I’d never give up on anybody, Swarmy,” she said, running her hoof along my face. “It’s just part of being me”

“You do love me,” I said, wiping my eyes. “I feel so…”

She held me tightly and said, “Swarmy, if you ever feel sad like that again. You come to me. I’m always there to turn that frowny upside downy.”

“It’s true some days are dark and lonely,” I sang, smiling wide at Pinkie’s laugh, “and maybe you feel sad.”

“But Pinkie is here to show you it isn’t that bad,” she sang along, leaning into my chest. “There’s one thing that makes me happy, and makes my whole life worthwhile.”

We both sang softly to the next part, “That’s when we talk to our friends and get them to smile!”

As we sang together under the light of Luna’s moon, I’d never felt such joy and glee in my heart. I wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of my days with her!

Flowers do wilt, but when they’re in bloom, they’re meant to be enjoyed by those around them. Pinkie, is my flower…

My love.

I, love Pinkie Pie

Comments ( 39 )

And then they did it. :pinkiehappy:

First of all this is a really nice story about Swarm, did not expect that they would be more changelings hidden in pony society so nice job on that.
Secondly there is what I think is an error in this paragraph,

EW… I ran in the kitchen to find Pound Cake and Carrot Cake playing with some blocks on the floor. I don’t know how Mr and Mrs. Cake do it, but I’ll never get used to poopy pants smell. I tentatively picked up Pound Cake, he smelled like something out of a garbage dump wrapped in old oatmeal.

I think you meant to write Pumpkin not Carrot.

2226637Yeah, some things you do miss with the editing process. For some inexplicable reason I could not remember Pumpkin's name after I wrote it. Very odd :rainbowhuh:

2226651
It's easy to forgot with the Cakes, everypony is a cake pun.

2226666Oh well, but you enjoyed the story overall right? I was a little worried since a lot of people have done stories like this before.

2226674
I did, the ever expanding world of stories is what I enjoy seeing and as much I enjoy the cases I also enjoy slice of life stories especially when it focuses on other characters and gives them an expanded story.

True love is to be savored by all. It doesn't matter who, or what, you are. If you feel the need to be with someone, to make them smile and laugh, to make their dreams come true, then savor that feeling for it is real, true love. I'm so happy for them!

2226746For both couples in the story, I hope one day somebody will showcase such love for me. But until then, we can always watch as others experience the joys of it. May their love never die as they walk their lives together.

this was interesting...though i thought that Chrysalis had learned something from that pizza pony...

2226822Not all lessons sink in as much as we want to. She's still trying to fight the idea of love being anything but food. Potso created a chink in the armor. But didn't crack her shell the whole way.

2226832then one must attack the weak spot...widen the crack...and let time and Wisdoms rain do the rest...

2226853It will definatly get it's largest crack in the finale...

Excellente and bravo!

Darkskyz? Sherrie Illusions? Jacoboby1?”

couldn't help yourself, could you:trixieshiftright:


nice story anyways....
media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9r5gaDmnx1qhq4jp.gif

Aw, what a nice ending. I'm a bit disappointed that Mrs. Cake didn't see me in the marketplace, I was trying to get her attention.

nice job bro!!!! love how you put in your biggest supporters in the story........also it's adorable to find love like theirs.....:pinkiesad2:

2228027*Whisltles Hearaches by the Number innocently* :twilightsheepish:

2228460
btw

we need moar trixie:flutterrage:

2228508Trixie might get some time in sides stories coming up. We'll just see.

Who am I...? I'm Jean val Jean.
Sorry, couldn't resist.

2230873I wanted to have Swarm sing that! But I couldn't think of lyrics for it. Drat!

2230946 I've been on a les mis kick recently, so when I read the title I broke out into song. My friends looked at me funny....:twilightsheepish:

2231485If only I could figure out lyrics...:facehoof:

2231531No I mean, write the lyrics so that it would make sense with swarm singing it.

2231641 Well, I suck at lyrics, but if that's what you needed I'm sure a couple of your loyal fans might have helped out. Maybe next time you need some help you can hold a contest for it or something, y'know. It would ease your workload, and might even inspire you.

2231664Heh, maybe. I'd like to see some of my fans do stuff. Like fan art, music and otherwise. But this series hasn't reached that point of popularity yet, so I don't expect anything like that yet.

2231672 Sure you have, all you gotta do is ask.

We are taking a break from our regularly scheduled lurking for this special comment:

Wow... just wow. That story...

What I've said about Noir has pretty much only been good, with some criticisms here and there, but still generally praise for you and the series. However, that story up there was absolutely amazing. It really hammered on the feels, and that ending was one of the most eloquent and clever that I've seen from you.

On another note: A human in the Everfree? Assuming Lyra was actually correct, this can mean a lt of the things. Currently, my mind is going over all of the things. Not many of them are good.

Looking forward to any one of them.

2236309I'm glad you think highly of this story. I knew how much you wanted Swarm to make a comeback with a focus on his relationship with Pinkie Pie. I faced a steep challenge trying to handle not only a changeling story (there are a billion of them on this site) but working with Pinkie Pie, arguably my second most challenging of the mane six to write (first being Fluttershy). Shattered was eager to help out in any story with Pinkie however, I just love the concept of the changelings and was happy to write them. I do wish I could've done more in this story, but then again I always wish I could've done more. That's what keeps me humble I guess, knowing that every story should be better then the last. I hope I can continue to grow as a writer, and as a storyteller.

is there going to be more to read like this? I've always been thinking about how the changlings would... well be accepted and this touched me

This was amazing and lovely. Um...more Rarity and Spike please...that is if you don't mind...*squeak* :fluttershysad:

But when figures from both of their pasts coem forth, will Swarm stay in Ponyville?

I believe you meant 'come forth' not 'coem forth'

You are officially the first FiMfic writer to use the "Baby swapped at birth" Changeling plot device! It's cool to see someone thought to use the original concept like that. Wish I thought of it. :rainbowlaugh:

Login or register to comment