• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 9,687 Views, 150 Comments

Fiery Incantation - SapphireStarlightPony



A strange artifact arrives at Twilight's library and turns her into a dragon. From there, everypony she touches suffers a similar fate and the race is on to find a cure before all of Equestria falls prey!

  • ...
11
 150
 9,687

Epilogue

Dear Princess Celestia,

I am writing to inform you about a recent outbreak of a magical disease in Ponyville. Rest assured that it has been dealt with and everypony is safe and sound! A patron of the library accidentally ordered a powerful magical artifact from the Canterlot Archives. When it was delivered it started a contagion that turned almost the entire town into dragons. Fortunately the Apples were able to help us establish a quarantine and I was able to cure everypony using the same relic that began the epidemic. It was very exciting, just like an adventure out of a Daring Do book. All in all it was a very eventful weekend!

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

No sooner had Spike sent the letter than an involuntary belch of fire brought another into existence. The lavender unicorn snatched it up with her magic and unrolled the parchment.

Dear Twilight,

I am glad to hear you had an exciting weekend. We have had an exciting weekend as well! Please bring the relic to Canterlot. Tell Spike I said hello.

Yours,

Princess Celestia

Twilight stared at the princess’s odd and prompt reply, her brow furrowed in puzzlement “That’s kind of stra-- Oh...” She held up her newly formed claw, then groaned at the ceiling as she crumpled the letter in her hand.

“Oh yeah,” Spike said, laughing sheepishly. “I sent a letter to the princess letting her know how things were going...”

Author's Note:

I have to say, I really enjoyed writing this! Thanks again to Fernin for putting up with all of my ideas, good and bad, and providing invaluable support via editing and feedback. Check out his stuff! (Hilariously, Fernin pointed out to me that I had misspelled "editing." It is now fixed.)

I got this done up cause I was enjoying the concept so much. That's Sapphire Starlight on the left (Sanctuary of Lights) and Featherfall on the right (from my upcoming story, Featherfall)

Comments ( 37 )

So... sequel?

A fun little read, and fun ending. Thank you for writing it.

This was fun to read, got some good laughs. Nice ending too, though now I wanna see what went down in canterlot.:pinkiehappy:

2110106

I do have a short sequel planned, basically the CMC's take on the event. :twilightblush:

2110440

It's possible, but I have a couple other stories already waiting. :twilightsmile:

Wow !
Story is hilarious and the ending is simply amazing :rainbowlaugh:
Also +1 to DuskSilver - it is really interesting what happened in Canterlot :pinkiehappy:
Looking forward to your next stories :twilightsmile:

Canterlot and the princess contaminated... I knew this was going to happen. I look forward for the sequel.

Oh I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::rainbowlaugh::ajsmug::raritystarry::yay:

this was a really fun ride, though i must admit, the twist at the end was not quite as funny as it could have been...

2112507

Which twist? :twilightsmile:

To be honest, the epilogue scene was meant to be a bit of a groaner. Tying back to earlier plans to carry the story into Canterlot rather quickly. As I got into it though I decided to try a more comedic route and downplay the seriousness of the condition. I thought it was a bit of an amusing twist to find it was in fact Rainbow Dash, not Twilight whom effectively messed up a spell and sent everypony into a tizzy :facehoof:

Well that was anti climatic

2113030
:twilightoops:

:twilightblush:Well its really more of a comedy than a drama or adventure. Consider that there's really no villain, which makes it hard to have a glorious battle with a hero on a hillside, lightning flashing all around him and an evil monster laughing maniacally from the shadows. :twilightsmile:

2114078 eh still could have described what they did to the relic

2114094

Ah, I suppose I could have gone into more detail. The implication was supposed to be that blowing the fires out ended the spell and reverted all of the characters back to ponies.

2112823

well, i was referring to the twist that suggests that theres now a 'dragon-demic' in Canterlot, and that the letter sort of reignites it in Ponyville...but, thats neither here nor there. it was a good story going through, and though i might have worded some senes differently...thats just me

I was turned away by the bizarre characterizations and character interactions. The scenes were good, it's just that none of them behaved as we're used to seeing in the show. (Especially Rarity. She's far from my favorite, but this story makes her out to be completely infantile and ineffectual)

2139470

:twilightoops:

Well, can't please everypony I suppose :twilightsmile:

How does one portray Rarity? What a question!

Rarity is a very fussy mare, who on many occasions has shown herself to have a one track mind. She finds inspiration everywhere, and has a strong tendency to overreact. On many occasions we've seen her swoon, shriek, or otherwise panic due to issues of personal appearance. In particular in both of her interactions with Trixie she quickly succumbed to "horror" after her hair or clothes being changed against her will. Bearing all of these traits in mind, I decided that Rarity would most likely have a very negative reaction to be dragonized, particularly after Spike refers to her as "chubby".

I am a little surprised you saw her behavior as infantile. While, yes, she did have a few breakdowns, this is certainly true to her canon characterization. However, I felt like I curbed her whining with a few moments of maturity. For example, when Twilight is about to explain to Derpy that she might be separated from her daughter for a time, Rarity leaps in and cuts Twilight off, assuring Derpy that Twilight will have a cure together in time. Again in other scenes we see her caring for Sweetie Belle, having realized her initial behavior of "We're monsters now, I don't want to be seen" is inappropriate.

Sweetie Belle
Admittedly here I was simply going for cute, perhaps a bit clumsy, and eager for the approval of her older sister.

Applejack
To me, Applejack is a born leader. Her ability to generally keep a very clear head, strong work ethic, and down-to-earth personality made her very easy to slip into the lead character role, which I felt she maintained well for a large majority of the story.

Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Dash, I've always felt, lacks some of the broad spectrum that the other characters exhibit. She values speed and flying skill above most all things, desperately wants to get into the Wonderbolts, and has developed a bit of a passion for Daring Do. By the time Dash arrived in the story I had done so many dragonifications that I didn't want to go the previous route of "accidentally touched" that most of the other characters fell prey to one way or the other. I thought it would be a nice explanation for her absence, apparently off at a Daring Do Adventure Weekend of some sort, and allow me to take a much more humorous approach at the change.

Pinkie Pie
Pinkie is usually random and enthusiastic, with an almost indomitable cheer about her despite all circumstances that might bring her down. On a few rare occasions she's shown some level of insight into an issue that might at first seem juvenile or absurd, but later shows to be a little more than that. This being the case, Pinkie Pie's is the only willful transformation, and, in my opinion, rather poignant. Pinkie Pie becomes a dragon because all of her friends have, and she will not be parted from them. She'll give up her "humanity" as it were, in order to be there to support them. I felt it fit her unpredictable nature, and was also a nice moment of "odd sanity" for her.

Fluttershy
You cannot begin to understand how much it amused me, portraying Fluttershy hiding from the monster under the bed. Admittedly, Fluttershy wasn't around very long. Part of her purpose was to have an amusing scenario with Sweetie Belle (I love Sweetie Belle), as well as to demonstrate what had happened to Sweetie Belle and to confirm that it was not just Spike that could transmit the infection. I do plan to use Fluttershy more in the CMC-based sequel.

Twilight Sparkle :twilightsheepish:
I'll probably face some contention here because of the diversity this character has to offer. Twilight is probably my favorite of the primary characters. Largely due to my fascination with magic. She was what drew me to the show in the first place. Now, Twilight is sometimes shown to be panicky, but this is always in one particular field: Celestia :trollestia: For example, Lesson Zero she was late with her friendship report. In Crystal Kingdom she was facing a test for Celestia. Also in the Parasprites episode she was preparing for a visit from Celestia.

In most other situations Twilight keeps herself reasonably well-collected. Dealing with the Poison Joke "curse", Dealing with the Cutie Pox, facing down Trixie (twice) and the World Famous Flim Flam Brothers she really kept her wits about her. It is easy for a person, myself included, to find a blind spot where our confidence is shaken, and while in many situations we do well, there's always that one person we feel like we can't quite live up to, and are deathly afraid of failing in their eyes.

Seeing as this situation Celestia was not involved, and the siren call of a brand new type of magic to use, I felt that Twilight was more likely to dive right in with experimental gusto, too excited about the concept of these new ideas to really be fully taken away by the panic that has set in for some of the other characters.

Conclusion

Wow, I wrote a bit more there than I anticipated! I hope this provides a bit of insight into what I was going for with these characters. Comedy is a pretty big departure from the normal for me, so it was largely experimental. I usually eat, drink, and sleep Grimdark/Adventure. (or rather, in cases like tonight, eat, drink, and not sleep) :facehoof:

I appreciate your feedback on this and am sorry you didn't much care for it.

2187305

:twilightoops: Whoops! You caught me there. I totally missed that one. :facehoof:

Glad you liked it!

Great story you should do a follow up with what happened in Canterlot after spike sent the letter to Celestia

2279108

It's a possibility! At current I have one more chapter of Featherfall and then I am planning on doing Fiery Incantation for the CMC. I might do Canterlot after that if I can find new ground to cover.

Thanks for reading!

2283249 well you have Princess celestia transforming after she gets spikes letter possibly in the throne room, all the guards that would transform after they attack her thinking shes a changeling, all the nobel's who have a possibility of being changed in the resulting chaos if their in the court of the sun, Luna's reaction and possible transformation, visiting dignitaries that could take it back to their country, not to mention twilight and the girls bringing the cure and having to round everypony up to cure them all, does that help for new ground ideas any? I mean you have a potential perfect domino effect on your hands here and thats not even counting what could happen if it got out into canterlot itself.

2483200
A great number of things would be different if poor Featherfall could see into the future.

This story and your writing was pretty much episode quality, loved it! :rainbowlaugh:

I too would love to see a sequel of a sort:rainbowkiss::heart:
I think what would be even better would be an alternate take on this where they did not get cured and instead had to start learning how to try to live as dragons.:rainbowdetermined2:

I mean the food issues like new farming techniques to make better crystal crops, and the various breath powers hinted at would make for some very interesting story telling.:ajsmug:

Add to that the drama that would invariably ensue in any kind of quarantine situation leaves you many different ways you can take the story.:raritywink:

Either way good job!:pinkiehappy:

Sequel!!!!!!! This is AWESOME!!!!!!:pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

SEQUEL. NOW.:ajbemused:

Well I read the first chapter and I like this so far :twilightsmile: I don't like some of those EQD proofreaders myself. I've never tried submitting a story there myself, but I know there are some GREAT stories that get turned down :ajbemused: ah well, still a great story, will finish it eventually :pinkiehappy: (I tend to swap which story I read a lot)

This was a fun story, but the ending felt abrupt. It could be a sequel hook, though. Are you planning on continuing this story?

I also would've liked to see more of Fluttershy as a dragon, if only because she'd be scared of the other new dragons, and that would amuse me (I'm probably evil for saying that).

This is a good story I'm a little sad Fluttershy wasn't present with her friends in the end during the resolution but this is a good story :pinkiehappy:

Now this was a fun read.

Login or register to comment