• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 1,718 Views, 52 Comments

Vamponies Will Never Hurt You - Regidar

  • ...
18
 52
 1,718

I Brought You My Bullets

“Goodbye, Sweetie Belle!” Apple Bloom waved her hoof at her unicorn filly friend. Sweetie Belle returned the farewell gesture with a wave of her own hoof, then set off down the road to the Carousel Boutique, her current residence. The white foal lived there with with her elder sister Rarity, a fashionista and clothes designer of some renown. Sweetie Belle admired her sister more than anything in all of Equestria, relishing in every moment at home with her.

“I’m ho-ome!” Sweetie announced as she entered the shop. Rarity looked up from a large selection of various colored scarfs she was pouring over, she herself sporting a green and blue striped one around her neck. The white mare smiled at the site of her younger sister.

“Oh, hello, Sweetie!” Rarity trotted to the younger one and gave her sister a quick hug. “I’m a bit busy right now with these scarves, there’s some food in the kitchen. Try not to destroy the place while you’re in there.”

Sweetie Belle smiled an innocent smile and skipped into the kitchen, humming to herself. A bowl with several fruits sat on the table. Using her magic, Sweetie levitated an apple from the rest of the fruits. She sunk her teeth into the skin of the apple, taking a bite of the sweet fruit.

“So, how was your day at school?” Rarity spread a red scarf out next to a yellow and orange flame patterned one. She made a mental note to add another color to the solid red, maybe in little dots of purple...

Sweetie swallowed a chunk of fruit and walked back into the main room where Rarity was. “They got Ms. Cheerilee today.”

Rarity looked up from her scarves with a troubled look on her face. “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that, darling. I know you liked Ms. Cheerilee. Did they-” Rarity slowly trailed off.

The filly shook her head. “No, they took her to the town center to do it. They made us stay behind.”

“Was she a...”

Sweetie shook her head again. “I don’t know! She didn’t really go out in the sun, but she never did anything else that would have made her one, and she didn’t want to hurt us.” Sweetie’s face fell into a forlorn state. “I know that much.”

Rarity gave her sister a sympathetic look. “Well, if there was anything I could do to help, I’d do so.” Rarity heaved a heavy sigh. “All of this has been very harsh on our business. Less ponies to buy wares, and everyone being scared to leave their homes...”

“I want Ms. Cheerilee back.”

“I know you do, Sweetie, but...” Rarity chose her next words very carefully. “We have to be very careful now. Even if they aren’t... particularly discriminatory with who they choose, they do it for the safety of us.”

Sweetie Belle sat down on Rarity’s couch with an angry huff. “This isn’t fair at all! They had no proof it was Ms. Cheerilee, none! Why do they think they can do this to her?”

Rarity glanced at her sister, before levitating a green and blue scarf to her. “Scarves are all the rage this season, Sweetie, wear this one. Besides, I don’t want you to catch a cold, winter is coming.”

Sweetie Belle looked at the scarf with some disdain, then reluctantly put it on. She wrapped it twice around her neck, rubbing slightly at the wool. Looking wistfully at the window as the dusk began to fall.

“They scare me.”

Rarity looked back up at Sweetie Belle. “Hm?”

“The vamponies. They scare me.”

Rarity opened her mouth slightly, before closing again. “Well, Sweetie Belle, darling, I realize they are a very scary thing, but don’t worry. They won’t hurt you.”

Sweetie Belle’s large green eyes looked over at her sister, hope sparkling in them. “They won’t?”

Rarity smiled a nervous smile at the filly. “Not if you take the proper precautions against them, you won’t! If you’re really that worried about them, then you can go and see Twilight tomorrow for some books on other ways beside the more obvious ones to repel the vamponies.”

Sweetie Belle reflected upon this. She did have some time after school tomorrow to spare for Twilight... but it was the end of the autumn. Celestia’s sun set very soon after school let out...

“But the sun goes down almost right after school!” Sweetie said, agitated at this new development.

“Well, if you want, I can arrange Twilight to accommodate you and your friends for the night.” Rarity paused for a moment. “I am, of course, assuming you will be doing this with your friends, correct?”

Sweetie Belle nodded vigorously. Rarity’s face lit up with sudden clarity, and annouced to her sister. “Oh, Sweetie, I have just the thing for you!”

Rarity trotted to a chest on the far end of the room, and after a few moments returned to Sweetie Belle, something clutched in her magical grasp.

It was a brooch, a golden Celestial sun symbol. It looked old, but kept in good condition. In the dying evening light, a small ray seemed to shine off it. An aura of warmth seemed to radiate from within it, making Sweetie Belle feel safe.

“It was our grandfather’s,” Rarity explained, clipping the brooch to Sweetie’s scarf. “He always used it to keep him and our grandmother safe from them.”

Sweetie Belle felt a small swell of energy flood her as the brooch was attached. The safe feeling from the artifact being in front of her was nothing compared to the feeling of it being adorned on her. She knew that vamponies could never hurt her, at least, not with the symbol on her. Still... the fear was there. in the back of her mind, there was the paralyzing fear of their pale coats, their evil cackles, and their fangs...

Sweetie Belle shook her head as if to shake the thoughts from her mind. Rarity smiled down at her sister.

“Now head on upstairs. I’ve got to get this scarf order done by the day after tomorrow, and I still have-” Rarity check a form next to her. “SEVENTEEN LEFT?” The white unicorn’s eyes rolled up in her head, and she began to swoon. Sweetie Belle quickly jumped up, and shoved the couch under her dramatic sister. Rarity crashed down on it couch, her hoof pressed dramatically over her forehead. Sweetie Belle giggling uncontrollably, before falling back into the floor, rolling around in laughter.

Rarity hopped back up, and started rushing through her papers to find out which pony wanted what color scarf. Sweetie pulled herself up off the floor, and trotted peppily to the kitchen.

“I’ll make us dinner!” This time, Rarity did faint.

After dinner was made, and the kitchen mess was cleaned up, Sweetie Belle headed on upstairs. She was practically buzzing with excitement for tomorrow, and the energetic properties of the brooch wasn’t really helping. The terrible fear of the undead still lurked in the back of her mind like a poisonous slug, but her excelsior for the next day drowned it out.

Jumping into her bed, the mattress creaked and launched her up a few feet. She came crashing back down, and after a few more twists, was under the sheets. She wasn’t very sleepy, but Rarity reasoned that the sooner she got to sleep, the quicker tomorrow would come.

After a few minutes, it got too hot under her sheets to keep wearing the scarf. The filly removed the garment, and immediately felt all of her energy drain from her. The cold of the night sunk in, permeating the room. Everything became darker, and Sweetie Belle could swear she heard the cackle of a deadened voice from outside.

The unicorn foal quickly grabbed the scarf, and wrapped herself in it. The warm glow returned, but with less energy. Slowly, she drifted off to sleep, but not without a refreshed fear of vamponies in her mind.

Comments ( 52 )

That was actually much sweeter than I expected. However, I doubt it will stay that way. Have my thumb.

Hm...

Yes.

Yes, it was good.

Moustashe. :moustache:

that was... AWSOME! :pinkiehappy:

Poor Cherilee.:applecry:

"F:yay:k you rarity, I do wut I want! #YOLF"
Robert Paterson.

Wat.

Also,

Scarves are all the rage this season, Sweetie, were this one.

Werewolves? Or Wearwolves? Or was it Warewolves?

1813409 Oh lol let me fix that.

Regidar makes a serious story... Hell hath indeed frozen over

Not bad. The emotions felt genuine and the scenario is believable. I also love the bond that the sisters share. :twilightsmile:

1813178
And if they get me and the sun goes down into the ground...
Love that song. Therefore, I love this.
farm2.staticflickr.com/1060/5124699989_a414738d44.jpg

DAMN IT REGIDAR! I decide to stay awake to 4 in the morning to see you posted another story involving My Chemical Romance...with their first album...and their song Vampires will never hurt you...god...stop tempting me to watch you (the hipster in me will kill me for following any more mainstream people)
I like the idea and the fact that ponies are being killed because they are suspected of being a vampire (don't correct me...I know...) which gives off the same vibe as the Salem witch trials where females were being persecuted for being suspected of being a witch. I love the idea of having it revolve around Sweetie Belle instead of an adult pony. More raw emotion as someone so young would be susceptible to live in a dangerous environment such as this. As much as I hate supernatural mixing in with ponies...I will have to favorite this story because...I just want to see what happens as ideas are forming in my head at who can and can't be trusted and who is and isn't a vampire.

Sorry if I sounded rude...during the spiel...I is just how I write when ranting..I mean commenting:twilightblush:

Looks like our glorious god leader has been busy.
I love it.

Yes.. My Chemical Romance! :D
I'm going to give this a read. It seems interesting. :3

1814078 I'm not exactly "mainstream"... I'm the epitome of the underground. I've gather so many followers without being featured.

1815740 Doesn't mean you aren't mainstream, Some people are still popular even though they don't have featured materials. Look at me, I got a featured story but still only amass 50-60 followers. It really doesn't matter if it gets popular or not. It really depends on the content and how many "fans" a person earns. same goes for bands. You also have...a lot of Popular people following you that I am sure people would want to be followed by. So with 400 followers, and over 20K first story views, a fan club...I am pretty sure you became a household name for the site.:twilightsmile:

Ponyville has vampire hunts? Interesting.

1815708 It's an amazing song.

1816466 They're pretty brutal about it.

Ponyville has vampony hunts. Cheerilee is (supposedly) dead on suspicion of being a vampony. Everypony in town is terrified of them.

This seems appropriate:

farm2.staticflickr.com/1060/5124699989_a414738d44.jpg

Calling it now: Rarity is a vampony but doesn't want her sister to be ... I dunno, what's the proper lingo? Infested? Converted? Turned?

-Tricondon

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Most questions are rhetorical.
I'm no English Major.


Using her magic, Sweetie levitated an apple from the rest of the fruits. She sunk her teeth into the skin of the apple, taking a bite of the sweet fruit.
-Nice foreshadowing.

The filly shook her head. “No, they took her to the town center to do it. They made us stay behind.”
“Was she a...”
Sweetie shook her head again. “I don’t know!
-So a full-on witch-hunt without proper testing? Justifying that "Dark" tag... which probably means I am not going to stick with this story, but whatever. I would think that Twilight could run such tests at the least. Or Celestia could make the rounds and use her sun-magic to test imprisoned suspects since they are vulnerable to the sun, even if it doesn't do enough that you can just drag a suspect into sunlight and see if their fur starts to char. Maybe if vamponies get much stronger/can turn into mist but only at night then trying to hold suspects for several days would be a problem? I can't imagine that a version of Equestria dark enough to generate lynch-mobs wouldn't also have jail cells in every town.

“Scarves are all the rage this season, Sweetie, wear this one. Besides, I don’t want you to catch a cold, winter is coming.”
-Knowing Rarity she did something equivalent to the following: wrapped flexible mithril wire in yarn, and used the right sort of weave (to keep the wires from spreading apart) that two layers of scarf would keep the average vampony fang from penetrating to the artery.

“Not if you take the proper precautions against them, you won’t!
-Should be "they won't!" I think.

In the dying evening light, a small ray seemed to shine off it. An aura of warmth seemed to radiate from within it, making Sweetie Belle feel safe.
-Let me guess... it contains a single concentrated sunbeam or burst of light that releases on command, or when the wearer is sufficiently terrified and/or experiences X amount of blood loss, or maybe just when a vampony gets within a few hooves of it?

being adorned on her.
-Awkward phrasing.

I’ve got to get this scarf order done by the day after tomorrow, and I still have-” Rarity check a form next to her. “SEVENTEEN LEFT?”
-Ah, so she is selling armor-scarves... they better have some magic in them to hold them closed, since if the customers she is selling them to know, and the vamponies are hiding among the populous then the vamponies probably know too. She could be handing them out without telling people what they are out of Generosity, but the word "order" would tend to contradict that.

“I’ll make us dinner!” This time, Rarity did faint.
-*Small snort of amusement*

but her excelsior for the next day drowned it out.
-I wondered if this was proper English, but I decided not to look up the definitions of that word since rules are made to be broken occasionally, and this would be sufficient cause.

1821557 Thank you for the full review!

So a full-on witch-hunt without proper testing? Justifying that "Dark" tag... which probably means I am not going to stick with this story, but whatever. I would think that Twilight could run such tests at the least. Or Celestia could make the rounds and use her sun-magic to test imprisoned suspects since they are vulnerable to the sun, even if it doesn't do enough that you can just drag a suspect into sunlight and see if their fur starts to char. Maybe if vamponies get much stronger/can turn into mist but only at night then trying to hold suspects for several days would be a problem? I can't imagine that a version of Equestria dark enough to generate lynch-mobs wouldn't also have jail cells in every town.

Twilight's got a lot on her plate, as will be proven in the next chapter. Celestia too, but more so: Because vamponies are burned by the sun, she is busy cleansing Equestria, starting with Canterlot onward.

Let me guess... it contains a single concentrated sunbeam or burst of light that releases on command, or when the wearer is sufficiently terrified and/or experiences X amount of blood loss, or maybe just when a vampony gets within a few hooves of it?

Think of it to be the equivalent of a cross, with an added sun enchantment. :raritywink:

Ah, so she is selling armor-scarves... they better have some magic in them to hold them closed, since if the customers she is selling them to know, and the vamponies are hiding among the populous then the vamponies probably know too. She could be handing them out without telling people what they are out of Generosity, but the word "order" would tend to contradict that.

Well, she's got to pull in bits somehow. She is selling them at a reduced price, I'll mention that in the next chapter.

I wondered if this was proper English, but I decided not to look up the definitions of that word since rules are made to be broken occasionally, and this would be sufficient cause.

Excelsior actually menas "Upward and onward", but I twisted it to be a synonym with "euphoria".

Thank you again for the review!

1821609

Twilight's got a lot on her plate, as will be proven in the next chapter. Celestia too, but more so: Because vamponies are burned by the sun, she is busy cleansing Equestria, starting with Canterlot onward.

Twilight would have to be VERY busy to put up with innocent ponies being killed with stakes because of a witch-hunt. Even if she is doing Pro-grade vampire hunting or scouring the Everfree for hiding vamponies I can't see her canonical personality not dropping that to do testing, even if it would result in more deaths overall. She may be an egghead but she isn't that cold and calculating. I guess a general order to that effect (let alone something addressed specifically to her) from Celestia(or maybe Luna) could override that, but anything less than that I would see her appealing to Celestia via Spike either immediately or after the first incident.

The Princesses might be that pragmatic when they have no other choice, but in a world where Friendship is Magic it is slightly harder to believe.

Well, she's got to pull in bits somehow. She is selling them at a reduced price, I'll mention that in the next chapter.

Both good points, but I wasn't considering the situation vis-a-vis Generousity/Economics/Profiteering. I was considering TACTICS.
Scenario One: Most ponies don't know what the scarves do. All scarf-wearers might, but, if so, none of them are vamponies themselves, or go blabbing about the fact.
-Vampony pins pony
-Vampony bites pony.
-Vampony realizes that scarf is stopping fang penetration.
-Vampony PROBABLY releases, and MAYBE goes "What the Buck!?" distracting it.
-Vampony tries to move scarf or pull it off, unless bloodlust at the immediate prospect of feeding turns them too animalistic to think of that.
Analysis: With an extra second to act, little to no loss of blood from first bite attempt, and perhaps ability to escape scarf (or at least to rotate neck within scarf at the cost of some nasty long scratches at most), pony has a somewhat increased chance of survival/avoiding transformation.

Scenario Two: Sign in front of Carousel Boutique "Get your armored scarf! Only 50 bits! Subsidies available for the poor! First Come, First Serve!" It can be assumed that any vampony hiding in plain sight knows what the scarves do and will take them into account.
-Vampony pins pony.
-Vampony rips off scarf or moves it out of the way before even trying to bite.(Perhaps in reverse order from the previous step). OR Vampony has elected to strike indoors where the scarf would be removed... unless they aren't very insulating or the pony is willing to put up with a little over-warmth (or turning down their heating*).
-Vampony attempts to bite.
Analysis: Extra step adds some incremental degree of chance to escape/rescue, but not much. Pony has a mildly increased chance of survival/avoiding transformation.
*Which could be an open hearth in many houses in Equestria due to schitzotech.

I would also suggest as a story facet idea that if vamponies can live on stored blood, then Celestia might have instituted an amnesty program for those that surrender. This depends on how much blood they need, how easy they are to keep imprisoned(again super strength and/or mist form limited to night-time hours could explain how the mob could get a potentially vampiric Cheerilee, but she couldn't be kept in prison if she was a vampony), and if killing a vampony is considered a mercy to it. The last point is important because even if one assumes that the original soul is gone on to the afterlife, and that what you are left with is a complete monster in its morals and ethics, then offering amnesty is tactically and legally sound. "You can't legislate morality."** so if you have someone who WOULD be a complete monster given the chance, but is too afraid of the legal repercussions***, then the law has done its job. Of course if it is causing suffering that the average vampony desires, rather than merely feeding, then there might not be many taking them up on that offer... or if Princess Celestia doesn't have good enough grip on her citizens' panic to keep them from breaking the bargain she offers vamponies.

**Or do you think that it is possible to legislate morality, at least as far as Equestria goes?
***Including the special case of being physically constrained because they were afraid at an earlier time of the repercussions of not surrendering.


I understand if you don't want to take things to that level of complexity, but I am a BIG fan of world-building and paying attention to such details.

Expect a supplementary PM from me explaining some details you might or might not care about.

1814078
Just being Brony-fic isn't enough to make it non-mainstream? I guess not...

I assume you mean "Supernatural", as in the TV show, since this is a world in which most of the (non-animal) characters have supernatural abilities. True, we only know about the earth ponies supernatural abilities via stuff that the creators have said but even if you ignore that you are still left with about 2/3s of the ponies, plus dragons (fire breath and flight despite large size), alicorns, and Pinkie Pie.

1822835 well...for the site. I do it for joking reasons.

Well true. A lot of things are crazy but I mean the supernatural for the show itself. They never mention anything about ponies who suck blood and become werewolf in the show (Halloween Special...hopefully next year the CMC befriend on of them) . Only one story I read has that (Song of the moon by Blackwing) that has those ghosts, vampires...etc.

1822799 I too am a fan of world building, and I'll probably introduce scenario two on in. The thing with Twilight is that she's trying to lobby against the vampony hunters, but everyone else in the town is so gos damned terrified of them that they ignore her. She has rescued a few for research purposes- again,t his will be explained in the next chapter.

Celestia is both dealing with cleansing and curing recently bit ones, and Luna is using her powers of the night to try and cull them.

Feel free to drop me that PM! :pinkiehappy:

1822928 Wait, wait wait.... Something you said doesn't make sense....

Celestia is both dealing with cleansing and curing recently bit ones

So let me get this straight... The almighty god ruler is turning your loved ones back into normal ponies, but because you are so afraid of them you say 'Fuck you!' To the one thing that can save them and instead KILL them permanitly?! I do not believe that at all. :ajbemused:

1823589 Hm, let me clarify: It takes some time for them to be fully infected. Celestia is dealing with those ones. Those who have been affected= No help. The HAVE to be cleansed. And She's so busy with Canterlot and all the other refugees that Ponyville had to take matters into their own hooves.

1823667 Ok, so kinda like how Werewolves work, got 3 nights, or till next full moon, to be cured or be turned and incurable?

1823743 Yeah! I'll be explaining this all when Sweetie Belle gets to Twilight's library. Oh, the books she'll find!

1823761 And probably set on fire. :twilightoops:

all these MCR referances

The song is just so damn good. I've been on an MCR binge for about a month and this is my favorite song.

1928278 I know, I love MCR

Just got around to reading this, why isn't this being updated?
also, inb4 Rarity is a vampony.

2049718 I'm fucking lazy.

This is pretty cool so far!
aaaaand now I got the song stuck in my head again:pinkiecrazy:

2249165 And if they get me and the sun goes down into the ground...

Is that scarf magic?

Please write more. This is an awesome fic, and i can't see it fall into the hellish pits of Hiatuis.

2839756 I've been meaning too, it's just that I'm so lazy :raritydespair:

2839765 You did it, you fucking did it. You let the story fall into hiatus.

5999606 It is an expectation by now to many people that I fail them in every possible way

Login or register to comment