• Published 3rd Jan 2012
  • 10,206 Views, 223 Comments

Twilight's Best Friend - Blueshift



Dewdrop Dazzle arrives to live with Twilight. Forever. And ever. And ever.

  • ...
12
 223
 10,206

Author's Notes

I thought I might as well order my author's notes and place them in the stories they refer to, this seems the best way of doing it until Knighty instigates a proper "author's notes" function, hop to it Knighty!

Rather terrifyingly it's almost a year since I first wrote this story though it still feels like yesterday, I'm not sure where all the time has gone! The main inspiration of course is the Hasbro Dewdrop Dazzle toy which had just been announced when I wrote it. For some reason, despite literally having all the colour schemes of all the background characters on the show, Hasbro decided that they wanted to realise original toys (thus with zero advertising behind them) and crudely recoloured some of the show artwork for the packaging. Dewdrop was a horrendous teal, yellow and pink Twilight recolour, and was just so bafflingly awful that I felt I had to do something. Anyone who's read any of my Transformer comics know I like to concentrate on the 'underdog' characters because sometimes they can be the most interesting.

The story is also very loosely inspired by the Father Ted episode 'Entertaining Father Stone'. Father Ted is an excellent surreal 90's Irish comedy about three priests living on a remote island, and well worth checking out if you've not seen it. In this episode, Father Ted's 'friend' Father Stone turns up to stay. Father Stone is the most boring priest in the world and sucks all the fun out of every room. He sits on the sofa not saying a word for months and months, until Ted prays to God and Father Stone is hit by lightning, causing lots of guilt. In the Father Ted episode though, Father Stone ends up staying with Ted forever (and ever and ever and ever). As you can tell by the description, the link is only very tenuous, but it's there, and there's a little Father Ted reference as a wink at the start, see if you can spot it!

Dewdrop Dazzle turns up and immediately Twilight's life starts to fall apart as slowly but surely Dewdrop turns up the crazy meter until she is cutting her hair to match Twilight's, using her toothbrush and taking over the library from under her hooves. All for the best of intentions of course! One thing that annoys me in fiction is when the antagonist doesn't really have any motivations apart from being a jerk. No-one really wakes up and decides to be evil (which is a theme mentioned in this story), people do bad things for good reasons. Dewdrop honestly thinks Twilight is amazing (don't we all) and wants to do everything in her power to emulate her hero. Twilight meanwhile feels threatened by Dewdrop literally taking over her life but rather than being able to come out and say it in a confrontational manner, acts ever more passive-aggressively until tragedy strikes. We all shake our heads, but we've all been there.

Dewdrop starts out as very much the antagonist, the 'villain' of the piece. I enjoyed writing her a lot, and found that while I had intended on making fun of her for her 'Hasbro recolour status' I actually ended up liking her. Poor, silly little Dewdrop. At some point in our lives, we've all been Dewdrop - we've got too into something or someone and been completely carried away; we've built someone up to be wonderful and amazing and perfect and then got our hearts crushed when it turns out they're just as fallible as us.

Is Dewdrop the villain or the victim of the story? The part which I feel works really well is that the reader is complicit in Twilight's actions. We see the entire story from her point of view: Dewdrop comes into her life, and it is a constant escalation of crazy with only one possible solution! What really interested me was that as I was uploading chapters, on 1 and 2, the comments from people were all full of vitrol for Dewdrop and begging Twilight to 'sort her out' or kill her! When chapter 3 rolled around, the very same people who were really pushing for a sticky end to Dewdrop suddenly found themselves wanting her to be okay. It was like the readers had egged Twilight on until she had gone too far and what happened to Dewdrop was thusly their fault.

Originally there was a few days before chapter 3 and 4. While I like the cliff-hanger on 3 (even though it's a bit cheating!) it did lose me a few readers - one person commented on Equestria Daily that they were so mortified at what had happened to Dewdrop that they'd never read another chapter! I wonder if it was all in one chunk they'd have been happier, or does the pause offered by the end of the chapter help what happened to sink in? All I ask of my readers is to trust me as a writer that things will wrap themselves up satisfyingly in the end!

What was the lesson in the end? On the surface the lesson is Dewdrop's to learn, even if she doesn't really. She seems to learn the lesson 'don't try to copy Twilight Sparkle' instead of 'don't try to copy everyone else'. Is the lesson Twilight's, as she finds that being non-confrontational actually made things a heck of a lot worse (though by the way she lectures Dewdrop, has she really learnt anything?) Or is the lesson ours, as we (myself included in the experience) learn to not judge a character by their providence, but by what lies deeper.

Someone mentioned to me that I 'have created a new subgenre of stories where Twilight gets her life nearly ruined by a possibly evil Mary-Sue'. That's only half true, but if you enjoyed this story, you'll definitely enjoy The Star In Yellow ( http://www.fimfiction.net/story/5713/The-Star-In-Yellow )

So what did you think? Did you enjoy the story, did you think it worked? If you've not commented yet I'd love to hear what you thought, even if it's just a resounding 'meh'. After all, every scrap of feedback helps me improve!


In the meantime, here's some art of this story by some fantastic artists!


"Twilight's Victory" by Don_Komandorr

http://don-komandorr.deviantart.com/art/Twilight-s-victory-207023696

"Twilight's Doppelganger" by Slagmalsklubben

http://slagmalsklubben.deviantart.com/art/Twilight-s-Doppelganger-209458227

Comments ( 40 )

... Evil.... EEEEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIL

862308

That was very deliberate yeah. I like to subvert the reader's expectations (and of course if the reader feels they are being subverted, then I would revert!). To me, if a story plays out exactly as you imagined from the synopsis, then it's not a great story, there needs to be some surprise, though not laboured, false surprise.

gonna go out on a limb and say you probably tagged this wrong... just based on comments and chapter titles among other things. :facehoof:

Will read later to confirm.:twilightsmile:

862377
Tags are my weakness I admit, but it's probably one of the stories of mine which is closest to an actual episode, if a bit more 'mature', (don't be fooled by the stuff that looks 'dark')

862617

No no, you're completely right! :coolphoto:

I came to this story fairly late, only having read it in the last month or so, but it instantly became one of my favorites. The amount of emotional whiplash is really impressive for such a short story.

I'm going to have to disagree with you very strongly; some people do decide to be evil. I've worked with kids, most from financially secure, non-abusive backgrounds, steal from and hurt others because they can. I saw a group of girls gang up and beat a younger girl because a teacher didn't stop them from teasing her at school and they wanted to see how far they could go. I once read about two teenage boys who decided to kidnap and murder a freshman from their old high school to see if they could get away with it. I loved your story, and I realize these are extreme and rare cases, but there it is. I know the world isn't black and white, everyone does, but what most people don't seem to get is that gray can get extremely close to either edge. Some people really are just jerks and criminals for the sake of breaking rules. Not all, not even most, but a few are just out to cause trouble, from petty theft to rape, with no real excuse or reason, and they know that what they're doing is wrong, but do it anyway.

I never thought Dewdrop was evil. I just thought Twilight was being pareinoied.(sorry for bad spelling):twilightsheepish:

I really like what you did with this whole story; while I never really thought Dewdrop was evil perse as much as a crazed fan girl (I would probably be the same if I lived in world with Twilight Sparkle :rainbowlaugh:), I did think that she needed to be confronted. I really liked how Twilights passive aggressiveness led to an almost unimaginable tragedy that would have scarred her for life. When I read the part where Dewdrop still believed in Twilight even fate what she'd done, I gained a lot of respect for Dewdrop and lost a lot for Twilight a her over reaction. I really like how in chapter 3 you left me hoping that Dewdrop would end up all right, and I really enjoyed how all parties learned a lesson; Twilight, Dewdrop, the readers, and the author. There is my rant, good job and great story good sir! :)

I really like the way you presented the story, and that was a clever way of having dewdrop take over twilight's home.

While i realy loved this story and it holds its own in my heart id love to see a silly followup where Trixie 1.goes though somthing with Dewdrop. or 2. Comes to ponyville and tries to get twilight to take Dewdrop away from here. but like i said Follov up or no follov up this story i will forever remember!

Wooh! oh this was a pretty good story. I think that Dewdrop is nothing but a Doppelganger. it was just ballast when she showed up at Trixie's!

I think that this was an enjoyable slice of life. Everyone acted as though they should, nothing stuck out that looked wrong. Oddly the story leaves me wanting more. Strange considering that the story has a sense of finality to it's ending. Though perhaps that's due to Dewdrop not changing her mimicking ways.

Nevertheless, it was a good story and I enjoyed it. Thank you.

"if you enjoyed this story, you'll definitely enjoy The Star In Yellow"

I'm not sure this statement holds water. I liked both stories, but for very different reasons. I can easily see someone liking one and not the other.

I am incredibly worried about Dewdrop stealing Trixie's life. She's not as kind as Twilight. :trixieshiftright:

866787

Midwich Cuckoos (or Village of the Damned to give it its alternate title)

I was kinda surprised in the end to learn that Dewdrop wasn't actually a Changeling, or trying to take over Equestria. I was expecting something like The 6th Day, or even The Reichenbach Fall, from Sherlock (except Moriarty obviously wasn't trying to become Sherlock, and I won't post spoilers here, in case you haven't seen the 2nd most fantastic TV show behind My Little Pony.)

I'm one of those who wished for nothing but terrible things against Dewdrop, but later regretted it and wished for her safety. I really had myself in Twilight's hooves while reading the story.

I liked this story. From the beginning, I was with Twilight the whole time. I felt that if I were in such a situation. I would pretty end up resorting to murder as well. But, yet again, I felt I could have still tried some other means to reek punishment and find out about the truth.

I don't think I ever commented on this story but I am now and I gotta say this is an amazing story. :rainbowhuh:

1087410

Thanks Vimbert. In my defense it is one of my older stories, though after all this time I did think enough people had gone over it in an attempt to catch all the errors :facehoof:

I didn't kill off Dewdrop half because that's what people would expect, and half because that's really not a direction I wanted the story to go in. At the end of the day, I'm a big softy and really into the whole 'redemptive' thing. One day I might get around to writing a sequel that's been bubbling away in my head, but I've got loads of things bubbling away.

I'm not saying that killing Dewdrop would in any way be the right thing to do--especially in Equestria!

But in such a light and sugary world, where concepts such as 'murder' are mythical... what Dewdrop did seems to me to be very nearly amongst the most monstrous things possible. She was replacing Twilight, in every aspect of her life--even in her friendships, that which is the most defining aspects of Equestian life.

Twilight didn't handle it well, but... this happening to someone is the sort of thing people write creepypastas about (I don't think ponies would do creepypastas, hence the word choice). I really can't blame her for going a bit crazy and trying to scare Dewdrop away with that sort of drastic measure.

This is a really outstanding story.

Wow. Nicely done. Although I tend to identify strongly with Twilight, I couldn't help but like Dewdrop. She had an earnestness about her that was cute and endearing. That being said, she needs some help! However, I offer up this alternate theory concerning her existence: DEWDROP DAZZLE IS TROLLESTIA- I MEAN CELESTIA! dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/emoticons/lolface_Celestia.png How else could she have survived being buried alive overnight?

Welp. I was kind of annoyed at the similarity to "Surprise, Surprise", but then it took a very different direction. I liked it.
Then the epilogue was… what. What, what.

1888329

This was originally written back in 2010 so I think it was first! It's hardly an original idea though!

I loved this fic, the concept of Dewdrop unknowingly taking Twilight's position in life was really cool. And I always saw Dewdrop as the good guy, shame on Twilight for not loving her.

Also, "Slice of life"? I thought it was more of a comedy.

2072546

Well, it's a sort of gentle dark comedy. I think there's always a danger that if you slap too many tags on a story they become meaningless, so I tend to be sparse with them. The show is 'slice of life' which defaults to comedy so I thought it was more appropriate.

2072766
Fair enough, I thought "slice of life" just meant boring.

2320221

I have never seen that :fluttercry:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Spoilers: Knighty's implemented a "proper author's notes system" now. :V

3100523

tfw PP comments on something a year old. I will just get my time machine out, pp

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

3100543
Watch my journal: you're gettin' a review tonight! >:V

3123234

The lesson was more for the reader than for Dewdrop :twilightblush:

Is the lesson Twilight's, as she finds that being non-confrontational actually made things a heck of a lot worse (though by the way she lectures Dewdrop, has she really learnt anything?)

... Upon rereading, there wasn't much of a lecture, unless you count "you're too awesome to be copying me". And when Twilight's own lesson was to not bottle up complaints until they explode, how much should she be chastised for telling Dazzle it might not be a good idea to take hero worship as far as she did?

Surprisingly deep

Good story, but I feel it really suffers from a rushed ending, starting from the night twilight doesn't return, to the deus ex machina, to the scant apology, to the final lines.
It's like you couldn't decide between dark, comedy, or feels.
Certainly not a bad story, but just far less than it could potentially be I feel.
But I'm just a reader, so what do I know?

I thought I might as well order my author's notes and place them in the stories they refer to, this seems the best way of doing it until Knighty instigates a proper "author's notes" function, hop to it Knighty!

There was a time when this didn't exist? oOo

Login or register to comment