• Published 7th Aug 2022
  • 4,500 Views, 62 Comments

Happy Twilight Day! - tailsopony



It's Twilight Day! Only, Twilight doesn't remember why. Or what... But everybody is being so nice anyways!

  • ...
23
 62
 4,500
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 11 )

Oh... oh I love this!

11600751
As you shouldn't... but, uh... maybe she went too far this time. lol.

11767042
Me too! I don't know if it's any good though. lol. I ended up skipping a sex scene because I figured I'd never write it and it was just "more porn" and not story stuff.

11767048
Thanks! I'm worried it's a little too out of left field here. The intent was run away AI, but magic. The AI (Spark) is actually from a different project that I'm never going to finish. In the other project, Spark was an active and amoral advisor to the reader/player in an interactive fiction where you had to break Twilight out of a very messed up time loop, and she could take stuff through the loop with the reader/player. Anyways, here she's just a runaway magic AI that is very, very tired after doing this a few billion times. This timeline was a joke timeline that was never meant to be the solution, but a means to amuse her by reaching the goal in an absurd way because infinity is boring as hell. Unfortunately, she made a mistake, and was too tired to care at this point. I'm not sure it comes across cleanly in the story? It's supposed to be funny in a "Oh well!" sort of way. But I'm afraid it's off-putting? Anyways, that was the intended end. I just figured I should post it.

Exhausted and frustrated, Spark deleted Iteration One.

Wow, terrifying! Love it! I didn't know what the outcome of the story was but a magical experiment gaining sentience and rewriting reality was not it. A very Twilight move to find the perfect pony. I love that Spark just said this is canon now.

Now there's a real life concern for you; A.I. becomes intelligent enough to commit a genuine, non-malicious human error.

OK, who had "magic AI experiments but the AI knows this is getting out of hand too" on their bingo card.

It's certainly creative, though. The original project the idea came from sounded pretty cool.

11768357
I was actually commissioning art for the original project in 2012. lol. I had a game design document and planned to make it a full fledged flash game with a story progression, multiple endings, and as a proto roguelike where you needed to die in order to unlock more content. I was even a decent flash animator/designer/programmer, so I wasn't planning anything impossible with the engine and had a logic framework set out for all the programming tiddly bits.

But then Hard Reset came out and did the concept really well, and Season three made Twilight an alicorn (Which was the second stage of the game, think the "after you beat the game" section of Hades, and I really super lost interest in the project.

Also, reviewing it, it was waaaaaaay too dark for 98% of people. Lots and lots of very non-con content, a ton of manipulation, and too much violence. Loops usually end when Twilight dies, the player dies, or the route becomes "impossible" (which leads to death as there is a hard time limit). And they player needed to initiate specific loop ends to progress the game. IE, you had to break a magic suppression ring once to get the "broken ring". You did this by causing Twilight to burn out while wearing the ring, effectively turning her into a vegetable and ending the run. There were other items that required you to die from specific things (piss Twilight off/scare her 'enough' that she stabs you with her horn when you give her the chance, for instance). Most people wont want to be 'mean' enough to make her do that to them.

Anyways, modern me recognizes that this would not have been a popular game by any means, and if I had done it well it would be at best infamous. But I still think about it, and have many of the documents. Maybe one day I'll try it again in another format. I really like the three tiered game play (click adventure/ 'dating sim'/ interact-able porn as the mini-game/'combat') but I'm not sure about the story anymore. I mean, I like the story. A lot. But 98% of other people won't. lol.

Although, deep dive dating sims where you spend all your time interacting with one character are becoming popular on steam. This would be the super fucked up version of that.

Spark was the meta character that helped you manage your interface, gave you loop advice on what you need to do next, saved/loaded your game, etc. all from in world mechanics which I thought was very fun. She controls the time loops, and is performing basically the same job as Spark in this story, plus some inventory management. Except her goal is to free 'you' from the loop before you become crazy from living the same thirty days over and over again. And she'll do anything to make that happen.

Now I want to work on that again... Ugh... lol.

For this last cgapter, there's only one question...

Huh???

11801945
I would go so far as to say this might be better received than you expect. Case in point- Limbo, Slay The Princess, Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Edit: While I'm thinking about it, I believe this old gem remains the gold standard of the genre, such as it is; https://www.fimfiction.net/story/114360/the-time-of-her-life

Hmm… Well, the rest of the chapters didn’t really live up to the promise of the Cakes chapter. The Rich chapter was alright, though definitely not my choice of fetish … but it was really downhill from there. After that, the chapters got a lot shorter and less cloppy. I know you didn’t want to get repetitive, but I would have liked to see a least a few of the later scenes fleshed out as well as the first couple.

11851147
Thanks! I appreciate the honest feedback! I usually have this problem where my stories start out strong and then get weaker. Although, I have at least one or two with the opposite problem. oof. I really could have done more scenes on this one, but it was getting very repetive in my head as basically the same three or four things happen. I also wanted to have her kind of "blurring" through things as though this wasn't something she "believed" was happening, but I really failed at that bit. Additionally I wanted to include a watersports scene because that's what's in the reference material here. Somehow, even though I had lots of fun ideas for this, when I was looking at actually writing it the story each one felt too samey, so I skipped a bunch. It really was a poor choice. Maybe I'll revisit this at some point. There are a hundred reasons to flesh it out, and an infinite number of them could be canon. lol.

Can someone explain the plot im confused?

Login or register to comment