• Published 7th Jan 2022
  • 1,197 Views, 13 Comments

Crash Encounter - Quoterific



Two young ponies have a strange encounter that neither of them expected one day.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,197

An Unexpected Meeting

High above the sky, whilst unicorns and earth ponies could only dream of reaching, was the magnificent city in the sky. Cloudsdale was floating southwards, heading towards the quaint town of Ponyville. Just like any other city or town on land, it had a thriving population of ponies, just only pegasi. They would go about their daily lives, just like any other unicorn and pegasi. They would wake and, eat, work and go back to sleep like any other pony on land.

The only difference was the function of Cloudsdale, which was being in charge of Equestria’s weather. Ponyville was due for an Autumn harvest shower to aid in the earth ponies, which was the reason why the floating city was heading that way, thanks to the strong Autumn gale telling every pony that winter was due.

Flying was something special. To have the ability to soar higher than no pony has ever gone before. What was even rarer for a pegasus was to touch the ground. Flying was so natural and second nature to every pegasi in Cloudsdale. A certain yellow pegasus told a rainbow maned one how wonderful it was. What every pegasus didn’t know was how far their limit and capability of flying was. That was the ambition of one particular pegasus on a cloud.

A young Rainbow Dash stood proudly on a cloud in some far corner of Cloudsdale. She had that smile of determination, a hint of cockiness and a hint of excitement. That smile that said that this pegasus meant business. She stared down at the edge of the cloud and then back at her cutie mark. She only got it recently, all thanks to a race she won to prove some bothersome bullies wrong. This cutie mark appeared when she did something no pony in Cloudsdale or Equestria thought was possible.

She managed to pull off a Sonic Rainboom.

She internally squeed at the thought of that. Something that was considered to be some silly filly’s story. Something every pegasus would shrug off and call some pony a mad-mare. She managed to accomplish the impossible. And right now, she was determined to succeed in pulling off the impossible again.

She put on her goggles and flexed her wings. She licked her hoof and put it up in the air, making sure all the elements were right to pull it off. The wind was blowing at the right angle, she positioned the cloud at a safe height. She made sure she was physically, and mentally, ready for this momentous task. It was a shame the bullies were too knocked out and dizzy to see her pull it off the first time. However, she would prove them wrong, right here and now.

She breathed in and out, closing her eyes to stay focused. Then she took a step back, spread her wings, and dived off the cloud. She closed her ears against her head as the wind became deafening. When she knew it was time, she had a foreleg outstretched, a shock cone forming around her as she was about to break the sound and magical barrier. Sparks of magic were forming, electricity was dancing around her. She could feel the tension around her as pressure and magic coalesced together to form.

And then it went horribly wrong.

The barrier pushed back at her, sending her flying backwards. Rainbow screamed as she tried to get into a recovery flight, but her mind was in a panicked blur. She could see that the sky blue was turning to lush green as she was hurtling towards the ground. Then she remembered something at flight camp. She tucked her body into a ball and all she could hope for now was a soft landing.


“Alright, Applejack,” A voice called from the farmhouse, “Could you take care of the last bunch of trees. They ain’t gonna harvest themselves, ya know?”

“On it!” The orange filly called as she put a bucket on her back and strode towards the orchard, heading to where she needed to be.

Harvest time was one of the busiest times for Applejack and her family, down on the farm of Sweet Apple Acres, besides cider season. All the trees that were lovingly grown were ripe with red apples as far as the eye could see. The family went on double shifts to make sure every apple was as fresh as they’d been on the tree.

Unfortunately, the Autumn has been particularly dry, so Ponyville had sent a weather request to Cloudsdale for an autumn downpour, and that floating city was on its way soon. Applejack looked up and she could just make out the shape of Cloudsdale over the horizon. She always dreamed about what it was like to fly but was proud of her family’s roots and earth pony ways. Little Applebloom would just stare in wonder when she sees a pegasus fly by the orchard. Too young to talk properly, she would just point and gurgle in glee.

Giving a nod to her big brother, Big Macintosh, who was still out in the orchard, she strode over to the trees Granny Smith instructed her to buck and got down to business. There were mouths to feed and bills to pay, and she was proud that she was old enough to help around the farm. She was hoping little Applebloom will have the same enthusiasm to help out.

The orchard she was working on gave the young mare a great view of the barn and surrounding orchard. She was glad to be home. After exploring what the big city was like, she realised that her real roots were down on the farm. She smiled as she looked behind her at her cutie mark. One lonely morning, homesick and down, she saw the most amazing rainbow shoot out of nowhere from the sky. It stretched out and pointed to where she was meant to be. She chuckled to herself and continued with her work.

She was on her final tree when she laid eyes on the biggest, reddest apple she had ever laid eyes on.

She put the now full basket of apples on her back and was about to head back to the farmhouse when there was an almighty snap of branches and a blue face appeared in front of her green eyes. She froze mid-step as she stared at the stranger that crashed into the tree. She stared back, a blush slowly creeping up on her face. The blue pegasus’ mouth slowly began to open and close like a fish out of water, split between apologising and wanting to say something welcoming.

Applejack decided to beat her to the punch. A wicked smile spread on her lips.

“I thought I bucked every apple, but it seems I missed one. A particularly bright red in indeed,” Applejack smirked.

That managed to make the pegasus’ face redder and she stuttered in her upside-down and awkward position.

“I’m only teasing,” Applejack waved her hoof, “And by the way, the name’s Applejack.”

The rainbow-maned pegasus managed to find the right words to come out of her mouth.

“R-Rainbow Dash,” She stuttered. Applejack giggled as she gave a hoof for her to shake.

“You don’t sound too sure on that,” Applejack continued to give light-hearted teasing, “From the looks of things, I might start calling you Rainbow Crash.”

Rainbow blushed for the third time and pouted.

“Don’t call me that!” She piped up.

“I’m just saying,” Applejack put a hoof up in defence, “Now how about I help you get down from there. I don’t know whether you’re blushing from my teasing or the position you’re in.”

That made Rainbow genuinely chuckle at that.

“Stay right there,” Applejack smiled.

“Very funny,” Rainbow rolled her eyes. It was then Applejack realised the double meaning of what she said.

“Sorry there, Partner,” Applejack chuckled, “Now might I ask how you managed to get stuck up one of our trees?”

“Just a stunt that gone wrong,” Rainbow shrugged, “I’ve been in worse situations.”

“For some reason, I don’t want to know,” Applejack said as she raised her hind legs as she was ready to strike the trunk.

“Wait, what are you do-Ow!” Rainbow didn’t finish her question as Applejack gave a strong buck on the trunk. The tree shook violently and Rainbow fell to the ground with a thud.

“What the hay was that for?” Rainbow winced as she rubbed her head.

“You were so stuck that the only way to get you down was a buck,” Applejack explained.

“A what?” Rainbow asked.

“A buck,” Applejack answered simply.

“That was so awesome,” Rainbow complimented.

“Well, thank you kindly,” Applejack nodded, “But I reckon your cloud skills, being a pegasus is pretty impressive.”

“I’m learning all I can at flight school,” Rainbow puffed her head proudly, “But flying is everything to me.”

“I wouldn’t replace my earth pony strength with anything else,” Applejack said proudly.

“Yeah well, I bet your strength is no match for my awesome flying,” Rainbow smirked and flag her wings, “Just check these out.”

“Well aren’t they are pretty pair of wings,” Applejack smiled.

Rainbow smiled proudly.

“If there were on some other pegasus who didn’t crash into a tree,” Applejack smirked again.

Rainbow felt her pride crack slightly.

“Yeah well, when we’re old enough, I challenge you to a competition between the two of us,” Rainbow pointed her hoof at her.

“Well, I look forward to that day we well,” Applejack smiled.

“Applejack?! Where are you? It’s getting late and dinner won’t eat itself!”

Rainbow Dash looked at the sky and found that the sun was setting over the horizon.

“Shoot,” Rainbow kicked the ground, “I better be off as well. My mum and dad will be worried sick if they can’t find me.”

She took to the air and was about to take off when a voice called from behind her.

“Hey, Rainbow!” Applejack called. Rainbow turned around to face the pony on the ground.

“I hope we’ll meet again,” Applejack smiled warmly at her. Rainbow gave a mock salute.

“Same here, AJ,” Rainbow smiled.

“AJ?” Applejack cocked an eyebrow.

“Your name is long,” Rainbow shrugged.

Applejack thought about it for a while.

“Only if I can call you RD,” Applejack smiled.

“Deal,” Rainbow smiled and zoomed off towards Cloudsdale in a rainbow trail. Applejack then hurried back towards the barn.

“Took you long enough,” Granny Smith smiled, “What kept you long?”

“Just trying to get a very big apple off one of the trees,” Applejack smiled. She half-lied but kept a childish innocent face on.

“Well, you better get inside,” Granny Smith urged her in, “Dinner was about to go cold without you.” Granny turned and headed for the kitchen.

Applejack was about to head in, but stopped and turned around to face Cloudsdale in the far-off distance. She smiled and nodded her head.

“It was a pleasure to have met you… RD,” Applejack whispered before closing the door behind her.

Comments ( 13 )

Aww! That was sweet! I'd love to think that's where their friendship would have started, that's adorable! I've always had a headcanon these two met way back when they were fillies, and I love how you've done that here! I'd also love to see where this goes... I'll leave that to my imagination, I suppose:pinkiehappy:
You've got an upvote and a favorite from me, bud!

This is great! And sweet. And funny!

11110968

Thank you for the compliment ^^
And glad you like the story :twilightsmile:

11110969
Thank you once again ^^

11110970
Thank you for putting a slight headcanon of mine into a beautiful, little story:twilightsmile:

Now that will be an interesting encounter how they first became friends and I actually would like that to see how they became friends and basically how competitor of these two are this was a pretty cute encounter when they were kids and a very cute story keep up the good work

absolutely awesome!!

That was cute! Love how you had them ribbing each other from the get-go (at least AJ was).

11120581
Glad you like it and thank you ^^

This was so amazing and sweet!

11165883
Thank you and happy you like it ^^ :heart:

Login or register to comment