• Published 31st Dec 2021
  • 922 Views, 6 Comments

Distractions - Short-tale



The Hearth’s Warming Skate-a-thon is almost here and Applejack has to get the preparations done. It wouldn’t be too hard if a beautiful new mare from another world didn’t cause her thoughts to run away from her.

  • ...
2
 6
 922

A Unicorn from another world

Sweet Apple Acres never looked so good. It was Hearth's Warming Eve and the farm practically sparkled with a light covering of snow. The icicles shone in the sun, causing a dazzling effect on the skating rink built especially for the occasion. It was the Sweet Apple Acres Hearth’s Warming Skate-a-thon.

Applejack pulled out her long, time-worn, list of tasks she went through every year. She glanced at it and let loose a satisfied sigh. The fresh checks covered most of the list and they were ahead of schedule.

“Big Mac,” she called out as the large stallion ambled over. “You put the bumpers around the rink yet?”

“Eeeyup.”

“Put the extra protection around the chicken coop?”

“Eeeyup.”

“How about get the ice sphere so it shines over the rink durin’ the lovers dance?”

“Eeeyu…er nope!” The large pony’s ears flopped down in unexpected shame. He kicked an errant snow covered rock.

“Landsakes Mac, Ah can’t do it all maself,” the farm pony bitterly spat. Then the look from her brother froze the molten heat of anger. “Sorry, guess Ah’m on edge. We’ll get it done in time.”

She hoped. They only had a few more hours until the big shindig started. All of Ponyville would show up, ice skates in hoof, and enjoy themselves.
“Eeyup,” agreed Big Mac, patting his young sister on the shoulder.

Apple Bloom appeared in a cloud of snow. Her face was red and she was huffing something fierce. This was not the expression Applejack wanted to see this close to the event.

“We have a problem!” the little filly cried.

“What’s going on Sugar Cube? Ya just needed t' find Pinkie and bring her here.”

“She can’t come! She’s sick!”

Her youngest sister’s words nearly stopped Applejack’s heart. Pinkie was a whiz at getting a party all gussied up in mere minutes. This was the most devastating news she had ever heard. She had never known Pinkie to be sick. Ever.

“Landsakes, what are we gonna do now?! How can we get everything ready?!“ Her hat buried itself in the snow as she tossed it.

“It’ll be alright Applejack.” The small filly patted her elder sister reassuringly. “We talked to Twilight on the way here. She said she would get help.”

“Twilight’s coming? Who’s she bringing?” Applejack wiped the snow from Talula, a little disappointed she hurled it into the snow. She ought to know better than that by now.

“Somepony from a different world. Sunstripe Glamor or something. She said she couldn’t make it herself.” Apple Bloom shrugged. She couldn’t keep track of all these friends. Having an older sister that saved the world on a regular basis made it hard to follow sometimes.

“That’s Sunset Shimmer,” Applejack corrected. “Ah haven’t met her yet. Twilight said she used t' be a pony but ran over ta that human world. Ah don’t know how fast she is with decorations but any hoof helpin’ is better than none.”

She hoped this Sunset Shimmer was a hard worker. Without Pinkie’s unnatural speed and Twilight’s magic they were cutting it real close. She mentally kicked herself for relying too much on other ponies’ talents.

“You can help out til she gets here,” Applejack commanded. “Now Ah think you could help Big Mac with the bows on the trees. Make sure they face the middle o’ the pond so they reflect the moonlight.”

The little filly cried a battle cry and rushed to fulfill her tasks. Applejack looked at the list and moved to her station. As much as she loved menial tasks and getting things done, the refreshments weren’t going to make themselves.


Granny Smith was trying to balance three multiple apple based confections at once when Applejack found her. Quick as lightning she swooped in and grabbed the most precarious of the pastries off the hooves of the old mare. Within seconds the baked goods were deposited in more stable places around the kitchen. Not that there were many spaces left.

“What do ya think yer doing Applejack?!” the matriarch berated. “Ah had it under control! Ah ain’t never lost a pie even once!”

“Ah know Granny,” sighed the pastry savior, “Ah jest was helping t' cool them off is all.”

“Oh, Ah suppose that makes as much sense as anything.” The well-respected Granny Smith turned back to the activity that made her famous. Cooking. Though lately napping was catching up to her cooking fame.

“That was a good catch Applejack,” giggled a voice through the open window. The steam and excess heat that streamed out obscured the newcomer's face.

“Ah‘m sorry, but who’s out there?” Applejack squinted through the heated vapor.

Finally the curtain of moisture spread and revealed the most beautiful unicorn Applejack ever saw. She had deep yellow fur with bright rust colored streaks in her equally yellow mane. The snow sparkled behind her giving the illusion that the world glistened in her presence. The blood rushed to Applejack’s face causing her vision to blur slightly, which added to the effect. That or the heat of the pies was getting to her.

“Wow,” gasped the flushed mare. “Ah mean, who are ya? And how do ya know ma name?”

“Oh right, different world, I’m Sunset Shimmer. Twilight sent me to help. Nice to meet you.” The unicorn offered a hoof in a strange fashion then returned it to the ground with a nod of greeting instead.

“Well we’re much obliged,” Applejack cried, regaining her calm, friendly, no-nonsense demeanor. It wasn’t time to get distracted by things like attraction and beauty. There was too much work to be done.

“How are ya at hanging decorations?”

“Well I normally help out with all the dances and festivals back home but I had… you know…hands.”

“Right, like Spike does, well do ya think ya could take a crack at it?”

Sunset nodded. It shook that beautiful mane and made the farm pony lose everything the list had on it. It froze the poor mare to the floor and took all she had to keep her heart from leaping from her chest.

“Applejack?”

“Mmm?”

“Do you want to show me where the decorations are?”

“The what now? Oh right, Umm follow me.” Applejack strode off to the barn, hoping the cold air would set her mind straight. She needed her wits about her if she was going to get this done on time.


Applejack and Sunset arrived at the Sweet Apple Acres sign as the sun reached its highest point. Its rays shone off that yellow and rust mane making it radiate light in a halo. Applejack was captivated.

“So uh the sign?” Sunset prodded the star-eyed mare.

A head shake and a few mumbles brought the farm pony back to reality. “Oh yeah, it's right over here.”

She found the banner in the bushes where she left it. It spelled out “Welcome to the Sweet Apple Acres Skate-a-thon” in large sparkling letters, a CMC addition. Applejack grabbed the banner with her mouth and dragged it onto the snow covered entrance.

“We jest got ta tie this banner on a rope and hoist it over the Sweet Apple Acres sign with that pulley.'' It seemed easy. Nothing to it.

“Sure no problem.”

Applejack found the rope and carefully placed it through the brass eyelet. Sunset tried to do the same on the other end. The poor mare was all left hooves and couldn’t hold onto it no matter how much she tried.

“Sorry,” she sighed. “I don’t remember how this used to be so easy. Guess I’ve been away from Equestria too long.”

“Well, Ah’m glad ya came back,” Applejack said calmly until she realized how that could be taken. “Ah mean ta help that is.”

“Could you … help?” The unicorn said with a disappointed look.

“Sure, ya just lift it with yer hooves like so.” The banner was easily held firmly in the farm pony's grasp. “Or ya could use yer magic.”

After a hoof to the forehead, an aqua colored glow grabbed the rope and it slithered through the eyelet. It easily tied itself and flew over the pulley.

“Yes! I did it!” the triumphant mare cried.

“Well done, Sugarcube!”

“Thanks AJ,” the unicorn cried as she hugged the startled farm mare. All Applejack could smell was Sunset. It was a strange smell of berries but not berries. She couldn’t place it. She placed her head on Sunset’s shoulder trying to get closer to that smell and the warmth she felt.

“AJ? Oh I’m sorry. I keep forgetting that we don’t really know each other.” The unicorn backed off and the warmth was replaced by winter’s chill.

“Right, Ah guess Ah forgot too.”

The cold shook the mare from her dream-like state. How could she get so out of sorts from a mare she just met? It wasn’t something she did. She was the slow and steady one. And it wasn’t like she’d never seen a beautiful mare before. But something about Sunset or maybe the magic of the season made Applejack long for something more than she normally felt content with.

“Ok let’s get this banner hung!” Sunset prodded the mare from her thoughts again.

“Yeah. Ah’ll pull the sign up on this side, you pull the sign up on that one.” The rope was in the farm pony’s mouth before she even realized it. She watched as Sunset fumbled with her hooves first then finally bit it.

“Alright, just a few tugs and we should be sittin’ pretty.” Both ponies in position slowly rose the banner over top of the normal Sweet Apple Acres sign.

Applejack’s eyes flicked to Sunset again. The mare glowed in light perspiration as she slowly pulled the rope. It was like one of Rarity’s glamor posters. The sweat instantly evaporated in the cold air, rising as steam off that sinewy body. Her eyes glowed with determination and spunk. Or so Applejack thought. That golden face began to contort in confusion and her bright blue eyes glanced over to her admirer. Was she thinking the same thing? Did she sense the connection?

A clunking sound cut through the earth pony’s fantasies. She quickly looked up as the banner’s eyelet caught in the pulley. Luckily the sign didn’t rip but it was horribly crooked. Applejack cursed.

“Uhh was that supposed to happen?” the golden unicorn asked as she tied her rope to the tree with her magic.

“No! Consarn it! It looks lopsided now!”

“I think I can fix it,” Sunset said with excited pride. The eyelet turned blue, undid itself and floated into its proper position.

Applejack was quick to tie it off, mostly to hide her red face. It was embarrassing. Sunset was just another pretty unicorn was all. Nothing to lose her head over. She had to get back to work or they wouldn’t be ready for tonight.


“Ok this should be nice and easy,” Applejack said to Sunset though it felt like she was assuring herself. “All we have t' do is tie these bows around these apple trees.”

She pointed to a line of trees that surrounded the rink. It was supposed to add to the romance of the evening. A lot of folks came to the Skate-a-thon for dates. The Apples liked to make some ponies’ special night that much more special.

“No problem AJ,” Sunset said with a wink. She picked up the untied bows and trotted off to the nearest trees.

The farm pony was frozen again. That little wink had set her heart aflutter and she couldn’t help but watch the unicorn saunter off. Was it on purpose? Did she suspect what Applejack felt? Maybe the other world Applejack had a thing for her too.

She snorted and turned back to her work. The bows were a simple task. Anypony with a lick of sense could do it. Even beautiful unicorns from a different world. She wondered what sort of things Sunset liked. Did she have a boyfriend or girlfriend? Would it be too forward to ask her to skate together? Maybe this year she didn’t have to sit on the sidelines while the couples skated. Maybe she could have fun like them too.

Maybe she shouldn’t have tied her own hooves to the tree. It definitely didn’t seem like a good idea but she did it anyway.

“Landsakes!” Applejack pulled at her forehooves and desperately fought with her bindings. “Let go!”

The tree shook and bent under the assault but didn’t allow the captive to escape. She bit at the ropes but couldn’t get the right angle.

“AJ, calm down, I’ll give you a hand… er hoof.” The unicorn of her dreams returned and covered Applejack’s prison with a faint blue light. It was warm. Not as warm as Sunset herself but still brought warmth to the prisoner’s body. There was the feeling that all the hair on her hooves stood up.

The bow unwound itself and released her. Applejack rubbed the discomfort from her forehooves as she eyed the offending tree. She knew it wasn’t the tree’s or the bow’s fault but it felt better than being angry at herself.

“Are you ok? You seem a bit distracted,” Sunset observed. Those big blue eyes stared into their emerald counterparts. For a while all Applejack could see were those sapphire spheres of beauty. Then those soft golden lips took over her focus. She shook her head so violently her hat flew off her head.

“Ah’m fine. Ah just have t' get all this done.” The next task. She had to get to the next task. “Why don’t you work on the bows and Ah’ll put up the ice sphere.”

“Sure, whatever you need.”

The farm pony quickly trotted to the ice rink. She didn’t want to think about what she needed. It was wrong. They just met. No sense in getting her hopes up. Sunset wasn’t even from this world. It couldn’t work.

The orb sat stubbornly in the middle of the ice rink waiting for some pony to pull it in place. The rope was attached and it was already in position. Applejack didn’t need to do anything more complicated than hoisting it into the air. Easy as pie. She hoped.

A few deep breaths of heated breath rose into the air. The taste of twine filled her mouth as the coils of cord rolled against her tongue. The wind brushed against her ears, chilling them slightly. The air dried out her snout blocking her sense of smell. All she needed to do was pull.

The rope went taut and her neck muscles tightened. Her teeth clamped down, bending the small bit of rope. The oils of the bundle seeped into her mouth as she pulled on the line. The coils of cordage squeaked as the tension pulled them close together. But the sphere remained where it was.

The tar flavor filled her mouth as she increased her power. Her hooves cut through the soft powdery snow and bit into the earth. She pulled and tugged but the orb didn’t come off the ground more than an inch. How did Big Mac do this all by himself?

“AJ! I’ll help! I’m coming!” Sunset cried as she ran to the rescue. The ball began to lift a little higher. Sweat began to leak from Applejack’s forehead as her legs shook.

Sunset reached over and clamped her hooves onto the rope, fumbling to get a grip. It was like watching a filly play with a bar of soap. The hooves couldn’t gain any traction and the rope slid uselessly off them.

“Not your hoofs,” growled Applejack in a strained small voice. “Use your ma—”

“‘My mouth, right!”

Before the straining mare could correct her Sunset bit the rope inches from Applejack’s muzzle. The strain released from her teeth but was replaced with warm gusts of breath. The unicorn was so close. If they were any closer their lips would be touching. It was too much.

One of the strongest mares in all Equestria opened her mouth in shock. She felt the tension pull the bit of rope out of her mouth like a bow string firing. Her hooves slipped and she fell as Sunset tried to hold the rope in place. A few seconds longer the unicorn let go before her teeth were pulled out. The freed line whipped through the air as the tension unwound from it. Then the earth seemed to shake as a dull thud was followed by a deep crack.

Applejack lept from the snow back on to her hooves. The orb rolled drunkenly to the side tauntingly exposing the large fissure that ran through it. It wasn’t deep but it was noticeable.

“Landsakes! Ah can’t handle this right now! Sunset please just go and help Apple Bloom with the bows. Yer too distracting! Ah need to focus!”

“S-sorry,” the outworlder whispered as she bolted from the erupting host.

“Applejack!” boomed a deep irate voice she hadn’t heard since she was younger. She spun as the large form of her elder brother trotted towards her. “Ah think you and Ah need ta talk in the west field.”

“We ain’t got time ta talk-“

“Now!”

“Fine! Ah’ll be right back. You two keep doing what yer doing,” the fuming mare ordered the tree decoration team.

The west field glistened in the lowering sun. The fresh snow crunched under Applejack’s hooves. The clear blue sky was darkening. The day was leaving and they needed to finish. Why in the hay did they need to go out here now?

“Alright Big Mac, what in the Sam Hill is the problem?!”

The large stallion sighed and turned on his sister. He smiled in contrast to his stern sound earlier. In fact he almost looked like he was about to laugh.

“Big Mac! This better not be some sort of joke!”

“Sorry Applejack,” he snickered. “Ah just never seen ya like this. Ya don’t even know what’s goin’ on do ya?”

“Not if ya don’t tell me!” The farm mare was about to buck a tree over the chortling oaf.

“Yer smitten,” he declared, holding his hoof to his mouth and failing to contain matters.

“Say what now?”

“Ya got that face that says ya just saw the prettiest mare ever and now ya can’t stop thinking about her” The grin on the stallion’s face was annoying. It was like he knew better than her. She hated that feeling.

“Even if Ah am what does that have anything to do with gettin’ ready fer the Skate-a-thon?”

Applejack paced around. She didn’t like admitting she had these thoughts especially to her brother. But as an honest Apple she couldn’t deny them.

“Well dropping the ice sphere, and tying yerself t' trees is kinda slowin’ us down. But Ah ain’t too worried about that. What Ah’m worried about is you messin’ this up fer yerself. Ya just yelled at her fer tryin’ ta help. ‘Taint her fault ya thinkin’ like ya are.”

There was soft scolding in Big Mac’s tone. It was normal when he had his big brother talks. It had been a while. It was harder to see him as a big brother like she used to. But he still was and had more knowledge on this subject than she did, though she hated it.

“She’s from a different world, Big Mac; it ain’t like it could work between us.” Why were they even discussing it? She had known Sunset for a few hours.

“It don’t matter how long it lasts or how quick it happens. The important thing is ya try. If it’s meant to be it’s meant t' be.” Those were Pa’s words. But hearing Big Mac say them made her feel like a small part of her father was still here.

“Fine! Ah’ll talk t' her. But when she comes back with reason and sense then ya owe me a heaping’ o’ cider ta make up fer it.” It didn’t seem worth all the cider but Mac was right. She at least had to try.

“Sooner would be better. Ya don’t want ta sit by yer lonesome again this Skate-a-thon if ya don’t have to.” Mac patted her shoulder in an encouraging manner. All the Skate-a-thons in the past coursed through her mind. The small sad feeling she kept inside crept out again.

“Ah’ll take care of the ball and Applebloom will finish the trees. You jest focus on talkin’ and makin’ a good impression.” Big Mac turned and trotted off in a self-satisfied way. Applejack wondered if that’s how she looked when she felt she helped.

The walk back was filled with a trepidation that the farm mare had never known. This was not her wheelhouse. It wasn’t even the same farm. Dating and things like that were always secondary to chores. Maybe that's why it came on so strong this time. Her mind knew time was slipping away and it needed to act faster or it would be forever silenced.

Sunset was sitting by the barn looking confused and embarrassed. Applejack wondered what Big Mac had said to put her there. This was going to be harder than she thought. She didn’t even know what to say.

“Oh Applejack, there you are,” Sunset said with a smile like she’d known her for years. Well she did but not the same one. “Apple bloom told me to meet you here. Sorry I messed up earlier. I keep forgetting about my magic. It didn’t hurt you did it?”

“No, Ah’m fine. Just needed a breather, is all.” Applejack rubbed the back of her neck. How should she approach this? “Uhhh Sunset what’s the Applejack like in yer world?”

“Well she’s not too different from you, besides the, you know, hands and feet. But she’s strong and reliable. She will always go the extra mile for a friend and gives chances to anyone that needs it. Even if they don’t really deserve it.” The golden mare looked down at the ground and her eyes focused on something Applejack couldn’t see.

“How about her uh… love life? Does she have somepony special?” The words were sticking in her mouth and making it hard to transition to the burning question inside her.

“Not that I know of. I’m not sure she would be the type to share that with anyone if she did. The only ones that have crushes are Twilight and of course Rarity finds the occasional boy to lust after.” Sunset wasn’t acting nervous. It was just run of the mill talking.

Applejack closed her eyes and bit her lip. Finally she forced out,” What about you?”

“Do I have any crushes? No! No! No! I haven’t thought about that in a while. Why do you ask? Do you know someone?”

“Eerrr well ya see.. there is a pony that fancies ya and has always wanted to participate in the couples Skate-a-thon.” Applejack kept her eyes closed the entire time. She didn’t want those blue eyes staring back and seeing the truth in them yet.

“Huh. I haven’t met many ponies here. I wonder who it could be?” The last word was drawn out like she was waiting for somepony to get a clue.

Applejack kept her eyes closed. She didn’t know how to do this part. What should she say? Her mind raced until a puff of air next to her snout threw her eyes open wide. Those sapphire eyes were inches from hers.

“What the…what?” Applejack nearly jumped out of her skin.

“It wasn’t a crush but I did have a… thing for the AJ in my world. She was always too busy to approach. You’re not exactly like that. She wouldn’t have seen me like you did today. And she certainly wouldn’t have pulled me aside to ask me out.” Her face moved closer to the startled farm pony.

“You want me t' ask ya out?!” Applejack couldn’t believe her ears. She had been thinking about it all day but never took it seriously.

“I thought that’s why you wanted to meet me like this.”

“Ah was just gonna tell ya that Ah found ya attractive. But we’re from two different worlds.”

“Well I’m only a portal away. And that’s not that far. It’s in the castle.” Sunset casually explained. “And it’s just a date, AJ. We’ll try things out and go from there.”

“So-so yer saying ya want t' go to the Skate-a-thon with me?”

“Of course I will. To be honest I kept forgetting my magic because you were so pretty it was distracting. I don’t know how to ice skate with hooves though.” Sunset looked at the ground. Her face blushed furiously causing Applejack’s to do the same.

“Jest stick with me then. Ah’ll steer ya right, Sugarcube.” Applejack found the courage to wink and shakily led the unicorn to the rink.

The small pony-made pond shimmered in the fading sunlight. The sphere was hung and all the trees had their ties on. Applebloom and Big Mac stood grinning like idiots as the young couple approached.

“Ah reckon ya need these,” Applebloom said, producing Applejack’s ice skates and a spare set for Sunset. “We figured you two deserve some time t' skate before the Skate-a-thon started.” She ushered them onto the frozen dance floor.

Applejack looked at her younger sister and nodded approvingly. Family was always there to support and encourage.

Sunset glided easily across the ice like she had wings. Her date couldn’t help but stare and try to keep pace. She giggled until her forehoof hit a small crack and nearly tumbled forward. Applejack was true to her word and was by her side in seconds.

“Ah got ya. Don’t you worry now, Ah ain’t gonna let ya fall.”

“I know.” The mare said, taking the opportunity to wrap her hooves around her savior. “No matter which world I can always count on you AJ. You know, just for different things.”

Her face nearly the color of her brother’s Applejack finally pushed herself to do something rash and kissed the pony in her hooves. It was returned and both worlds paused for a second to acknowledge it.

Comments ( 6 )

Happy Jinglemas!
:yay: :raritystarry: 🎄 🍷 :eeyup:

Good work Short! This was adorable.

Two things:

1) How did Pinkie Pie get sick?
2) Why did no one point out that technically, Sunset was originally from Equestria?

This was so cute! I love it! Appleshimmer is such a rare pair and I always enjoy reading it. I loved Big Mac taking Applejack aside to talk to her about that. It was just the sweetest. Happy Hearth's warming!

11103272
1) What Pinkie was sick with really didn’t factor into the story but if you must know she and Berry Punch went round for round on cider the night before. So sick was kind of a stretch. She won of course but at a great cost.

2) This being purely from the Apple family perspective, none of them really met or knew Sunset when she was originally a pony. AJ heard the story of course but Sunset’s ways were strange to her and it emphasized Sunset’s other worldliness. But to the Apples a lot of ponies seem rather other worldly so it wasn’t too strange. The distance of a dimension made it seem really far away to AJ so she was concerned about that mostly.

ST

What a sweet little story

Login or register to comment