• Published 20th Jul 2020
  • 1,685 Views, 145 Comments

After Sunset - I-A-M



After Exodus Night and the revelation that Sunset was never going to escape, none of her original friends took it harder than Rainbow Dash.

Comments ( 26 )

You know what makes this sad? Rainbow had to succumb just to grow the backbone she needed to give her mom exactly what she deserved.

So if I remember Sunset is a killer but eventually escapes Rainbow is as well but both are still their mentaly abd somehow the entiry dies at somepoint

10502569
The entity doesn't die. Something wounds it shortly before Sunset escapes. It's how she escapes. She says she thinks it's dying.

10502578
Ah
So is there going to be like a fight between Sunset and what friends get turned like rainbow? Though At the same time I’m not 100%sure if thus is bad news for rainbow she did get out of the whole thing in much better shape

"“Tell me about,” I reply"
"“Tell me about it,” I reply"?

Well, curious how things feel like they're simultaneously going quite well, even heartwarmingly so, and terribly. :D
Thanks for writing!

10502594
yes she did, and for now things are going her way. but if she starts to have a change of heart the entity doesn't care about the killers and many killers actually resent the entity and killing, but they do it anyway because it gives them no choice after they make the deal. there is no term limit so the deal is: short term revenge for an eternity of suffering (be it yours, or theirs)

So good!
So hyped!
This is going to be interesting!!

Get ready Dead by Sunset 2.... The Blight is coming....

Damn that was sooooo good, I spent almost all of my day reading this rather then doing my homework but it was worth it.

10502578

10502594
I just realised twilight said the stronger and more powerful the entity is the more rules it’s bound by whoever hurt it and helped sunset escape with timber also freed it from it’s rules enough it no longer needs the trials to feed

So if I'm reading this right, Sunset and whatever wounded the Entity changed the rules for how it's game is supposed to work. They broke the game, basically. So now the Entity is adapting and changing the rules of the game. That's why the new killers can operate in the waking world instead of the Entity's realm. And as I mentioned in one comment in Dead By Midnight, the fact that the killers are Self-sustaining Fog producers, means they carry the Entity's realm with them wherever they go.

Winnow Wind is a grade-A bitch and it'd server her right to be thrown into the Entity's realm... though honestly, I don't think she'd actually survive long. She's too damn full of herself and if she's not in control, she couldn't function.

So yeah, fuck Winnow Wind. So glad that Windy Whistles is her canon mother. Overbearing but lovable, instead of overbearing control freak.

I wonder, was Sunset aware of anything that happened to Rainbow Dash? Or did Aria maintain patient confidentiality and not tell her? Even if Sunset hates Rainbow and everyone, I think she'd still be pretty shocked at what RD was doing to herself.

Edit:

"In spite of my new power. In spite of the knowledge that the thing in the dark, the Entity, ‘father’, made me better than human; faster, stronger, and tougher, the sound of Winnow Wind’s voice still sends a shiver down my spine."

The Entity is actually usually referred to as female. To quote the wiki on the matter:

The Entity is often designated as of female gender.

  • This is due to the French language, mother tongue of most of the Developers, neither possessing a gender-neutral pronoun nor a grammatical neuter.
  • The Entity's original French name, "L(a)' Entité" is a feminine noun and the Developers have been known to refer to The Entity with feminine pronouns in English as well.

I only bring this up because while Rainbow Blaze was not the perfect father, he certainly tried his best and genuinely cared for and worried about her. Calling the Entity father over him seems to dismiss his efforts. Granted Rainbow's not really right in the head, but still, she does care about things.

Winnow Winds on the other hand was clearly never a true mother to Rainbow. Quite frankly despite being an eldritch abomination it's done more for Rainbow than Winnow ever did. The Entity actually gave her a choice.

So I'm just thinking instead of disowning her dad by calling the Entity father, she could fully disown Winnow Wind by referring to the Entity as Mother. This actually fits since the developers chose female pronouns for the Entity instead of male.

10571036
I meant to respond to this yonks ago and never got around to it (sorry about that) so the reason that Rainbow Dash calls Entity 'Father' is for a couple of reasons. The first being that 'mother' holds absolutely zero positive connotations for Rainbow and unlike Wallflower, her mother was so absent for so long Rainbow feels no need to replace that. On the other hand, her real dad, Blaze, was there, but here's the thing...

He wasn't a very good father. He wasn't terrible, but the fact is that Blaze is a textbook enabler for an abusive spouse. He is arguably absolutely no different from Wallflower's mother, the only difference is that Rainbow's mom left her husband and daughter behind, allowing Blaze to actually raise his daughter with something approaching decency, while Wallflower's dad stuck around and kept the cycle going. Rainbow Blaze did nothing to protect his daughter, and in fact could be said to have made things worse because he was too spineless to put his foot down with Rainbow and so, routinely turned the role of disciplinarian over to his abusive wife. Blaze did his best once Winnow was gone, but you'l notice in this story that the moment things go wrong with raising Rainbow and dealing with her issues, Blaze instantly goes back to turning things over to his overbearing and abusive ex-wife.

10593366

Fair Enough. I suppose my mind takes it to if someone is missing something in their life (ie a good mother), they may try to replace it, rather than hating the idea entirely.

finished story and HOLY FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

10596324
I am particularly proud of this work. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Strong story about weak people.

10624582
That sums this up really well actually, thank you.

Man, this story was excellent! It just drew me in, and next thing I know, 50,000 words are behind me. This is coming of a DbS binge as well.

The ending I felt was perfect. I knew she wasn't going to come out unscathed, but I didn't expect her to go full serial killer. It makes sense though, all things considered.

One suggestion for some cover art would be an antique syringe. It represents Rainbow both at her lowest point, and turning that weakness into power. You could use the one used in the game,
static.wikia.nocookie.net/deadbydaylight_gamepedia_en/images/c/ca/FulliconPowers_blightedCorruption.png/revision/latest?cb=20200821195955&format=original

or something similar from HERE. That's just what came to mind though.

Cannot describe just how much I loved this story! I'd start on the next one if it wasn't 1am over here...

Well, what better way to compare this to my experience with Dead By Sunset than to say that my only issue with After Sunset was that my non-english brain had trouble with the heavily accented Apples. Everything else was wonderful dark delight.

This is ceirtanly you at your best I-A-M.

Now, I have some personal highlights.

“I’m just thinking maybe I don’t want to be a vet, actually,” Fluttershy admits quietly.

I really like this, even if it's a small moment and it doesn't really come up again. Is a small bit of characterization removed from the 'main plot' that makes the world feel more alive. That there's stuff happening outside of Rainbow's perspective.

Another thing I'm really liking is your handling of the Anon-A-Miss bussiness outside of the Dead By Daylight centered stuff. Usually people default to making the charatcers either angry or pity-bait, but here you show something refreshing; actual guilt and real consequences. Nothing is truly trying to suck sympathy out of the reader, which makes the wanting a positive outcome much more engaging.

I really like how you handled every charater. They're allowed to fuck up and be judged by others due to their fuck up. Then only that could be argued didn't do anything bad is Fluttershy, but she clearly has her moments, and her relationship with Rainbow is far from healty.

Must say, I'm double excited to starting with Dead By Midnight after reading this (and what you mention of Wally in the comments). Any other side story you recomend viewing before a full dive?

PS: Expect another fan art in the near future.

10796048
Honestly, the only I’d recommend outside of this one (and this entirely personal bias) is ‘The Crazy Girl’ as it gives some much needed screen time to Starlight and Sour. Other than that, Please Don’t See Me is a good primer on Wally’s presence, but it’s not strictly necessary per se.

10796135

Well I really liked those two so I'll go see it right away.

Please Don't See Me was my first story of this franchise :rainbowlaugh:

Does this mean that Rainbow Dash is in anti-hero territory now?

Login or register to comment