• Published 27th May 2020
  • 429 Views, 7 Comments

Soldiering On - Nailah



A short snippet about love, war, and how we endure through it all for the sakes of the ones we love.

  • ...
1
 7
 429

chapter 2: Applejack

Applejack stood there on the familiar earth beneath her hooves, and yet her heart ached. She bit her bottom lip as she looked out over the horizon.

"Mum, I am glad you aren't here to see me like this. I didn't know being a soldier would be so...unnerving." said Applejack. She felt a strong hoof upon her shoulder.

“Hey now, don’t be all down in the dumps. Mum wouldn't want to see us like this.” said Big Mac as he sat down beside his younger sister.

“Yeah, I reckon you’re right. She was always so strong, so full of heart, stubborn pride, and had this feistiness about her. I miss her Big Mac.” said Applejack, as she tilted her head to the side, burying her eyes under both her blonde locks and her hat.

“Yep, we all do. She’s still here though.” said Big Mac, as he cupped his sister’s muzzle, and had her look into his soft eyes.

“What do you mean?” she asked, as she fidgeted a bit. The war was unnerving, she didn’t know if things would ever be normal again. Sombra ruled Equestria with an iron fist and things had changed far more than she had ever imagined, and yet somehow through it all, she still had her family.

Big Mac hesitated as he searched for how to tell her, how to show her. He lifted his forehoof and pointed it right at her heart.

“Here.” he said flatly, with a soft and reassuring smile.

Applejack smiled back, as she felt the waterworks streaming down her face. Pear Butter might not be with them physically anymore, but she’d always be a part of who they were. A grin spread on her face, as she tackled her big brother into a firm hug, and held him tightly, as his big form, wrapped his hooves around his younger sister.

“You think Apple Bloom will be alright?” asked Big Mac, slightly concerned for his sisters.

“As long as we are together, I think we’ll get through this, we just gotta remember our roots. Remember how strong mum was when we were all younglings ourselves.”

“Yep.” said Big Mac, as the two sibling just held each other. Apple Bloom was still in school, but Applejack planned to make her mom’s favorite recipe, as a way of letting them enjoy some quiet time with each other, and some time away from the factory that used to be the farm lands. Some things had changed, but one thing that would stand the test of time, was the bond of their roots. With that she let go of Big Mac and headed inside to get started on supper.

Comments ( 7 )

Short, but good. Got the emotions and what was going on across well.

A little on the short side but it gets the job done.
Good work.

Right in my short story feels. Nice

Wow, I really enjoyed that. Great job Nailah! Not too many stories focus on how Mom’s are soldiers all on their own, and it’s a tough job. This is such a sweet story.:heart:

Short, but a sweet story. Apple family stuff always gets me a little teary-eyed.

That was so sad and cute and the same time! I like this story :heart:

Login or register to comment