• Published 27th May 2020
  • 429 Views, 7 Comments

Soldiering On - Nailah



A short snippet about love, war, and how we endure through it all for the sakes of the ones we love.

  • ...
1
 7
 429

Soldiering On (Speedwrite verison)

The sun rose into the morning sky, just like it did every day. She groaned slightly, rubbing the sleep dust from her eyelids. She forced herself up out of bed. She could not simply laze about. There was so much to do, and so little time.

"It feels like you're still here my darling. If only you could see your three beautiful children. Big Mac reminds me so much of you. And Applejack has your stubborn pride. Little Apple Bloom is quite the feisty filly. I miss you…" she whispered as she glanced out the window, leaning against the wood. She felt her ears tickle, and heard crying.

She dashed upstairs to Apple Bloom's nursery. She saw her crying and making a fuss.

"Ssshhhh. Little one don't you fret. Momma is here." She said as she reached her hooves down and lifted her into her forearms, patting her gently on the back. Apple Bloom continued crying.

"Oh honey, I know it's hard, but ya have to be strong." Said Pear Butter as she laid Apple Bloom down on the wooden stand padded with hay and an old blanket they used to change their young's diapers. She unclasped the two pieces of tape holding the diaper together, cradling her face, as she saw the brown stains under her filly's bottom.

"Oh my. You've made quite the mess my little Apple Bloom. Don't worry. We'll get you all cleaned up." She smiled, as she shifted the dirty diaper away from her filly's bottom and tossedit into the trash. Then grabbing the wipes she began to clean her bottom, while doing her best to not crinkle up her nose. Once Apple Bloom was all clean. She reached for a new diaper, moving her hindlegs up to shift the diaper under her. She then taped the two sides around her waist. She leaned down to kiss her baby on the forehead, nuzzling her.

"That's my big girl. Oh you'll probably be out of diapers before daddy gets back." She said as she picked her up and went to sit in the rocker Granny Smith used. Sitting there as she glanced out the window, rocking her baby back to sleep mumbling a gentle melody to soothe her filly back to sleep. Once Apple Bloom was sound asleep she placed her back into her crib. She then heard shouting from outside.

"You think you're going to be as strong as dad? No one will ever be as strong as him!" Shouted Applejack.

"I wasn't saying I'd be as strong as dad!" Shouted Big Mac stomping his strong forehooves against the ground

"Seems your children are defending your honor again. I'd better go settle this before it gets out of hoof" said Pear Butter, as she trotted out of the barn to find her two older children nose to nose. She approached them with a kind and loving smile.


"Your father is out there fighting to keep us safe. Do you think he'd approve of you two bickering like foals?" Asked pear butter.

"Nope." Big Mac sulked slightly, ears drooping down to his sides.

"I reckon we ought to stop now and act like adults." Said Applejack

Pear butter shook her head, and came up between them, embracing them both with a foreleg, as the tears streamed down her face.

"No he wouldn't want you kids to be adults. He'd want you to be happy. To remember the good times, fighting with each other is normal for siblings, but the most important thing to remember is he loves you. Just as I do."

"Mum…" groaned Big Mac flushening, trying to hide his embarrassment from them both.

"Sugar. Mom I'm sorry. This just got all out of hoof. Can ya forgive me?"

"Of course, Applejack. You're my daughter. I'll always forgive you. Even when you make me hotter than a zap apple pie. You'll always be my little girl. And my precious child. Just try to remember the hero your father is."

"Mum…" began Big Mac.

"Yes Sugarcube?" She glanced towards him.

"Do ya miss dad too?" He asked as he felt the tears starting and he buried his head into her shoulder and sobbed.

"Of course I do. There's never a day I don't. But, he's out there fighting for our freedom and giving you all a happy life to enjoy. Even if he's not here, I know he'd want you to know he loves you."

"Mum...I love you. I wanna be a soldier too, I want to be like dad too." Said Applejack holding her chin high, and puffing out her chest.

Pear butter felt the tears running down her face as she held her two older children tightly into her embrace.

"Oh, Applejack. I'm sure your dad would be so proud." She Said softly. She held them and looked up into the sky, seeing the clouds rolling by.

"Looks like there might be a storm on the horizon, but it ain't nothing we apples can't handle. Let's go home you two " said Pear butter, guiding her children into the barn, shutting the door behind them just as the lightning struck down, and the rain began.