• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 4,748 Views, 88 Comments

A Startling Discovery - Silver Hoof



Twilight discovers that she is a direct descendant of Discord

  • ...
6
 88
 4,748

Chaotic Blood

When the Princesses- as well as all of the guards following them- heard the scream, they kicked it into overdrive. It was too late to stop Twilight from finding out, but maybe they could still console her and help her come to grips with the truth. Celestia cursed herself for leaving such a damning piece of paper in a library- no, in a book that Twilight was sure to read eventually. She may be a 'rule-follower', but her curiosity concerning facts would always win out in a battle with morals.

When they came into view of Twilight's home, Celestia silently commanded her guards to wait around the perimeter. She turned to Luna and Shining Armor and sighed. "Has Luna filled you in, Shining?" The stallion nodded, looking a little startled at the news, but taking it very well otherwise. "Good." Celestia said. "Then you understand the gravity of the situation on our hooves?" He gave a wry grin.

"Twili has always been a little melodramatic. I know what to expect." Luna raised an eyebrow at the Captain of the Royal Guard. "My sister accidentally burned one of our mother's favorite books when she was a filly." Shining explained. "She acted as though she had killed one of her classmates."

Celestia tried to stifle a chuckle. She turned to the door of the giant tree and tentatively placed a hoof in the center. As she pushed the door open, she peered inside. Finding no trace of the distraught unicorn in the room before her, she slowly trotted inside, followed by Luna and Shining. When the three ponies discovered that the ground floor held no ponies whatsoever- save themselves- they brought their search upstairs. They found Twilight in her room, her mane unkempt and her eyes bloodshot. She was curled in the fetal position, stroking her tail for comfort. They heard her mumbling inaudibly over and over. Shining pushed past the princesses and trotted over to his semi-catatonic sister.

"It's not true... Not true... No... No..." She violently shook her head. "Not true... Can't be true... Not possible..." Armor winced at the sight of Twilight. He reached out to put a comforting hoof on her back, but she scrambled away, shrieking at him.

"Twili!" He cried. He looked to the princesses for support, but they just stood there, dumbfounded. Luna's mouth stood agape as she tried to comprehend the situation before them. Twilight had begun to mumble again.

"It isn't true... You can't prove it... It's not true... No... Can't make me believe it..." Suddenly, she started screaming at them. "I don't care what the book says! It isn't true! It- It can't be true!" Celestia moved to Twilight's side. The crazed mare looked up at her teacher. Her voice became barely more that a whisper, and tears filled her eyes. "Is it true?"

Celestia nodded. "You are a direct descendant of the Draconequus Discord."

Twilight sniffled. "Am I- Am I evil?" She whimpered. Luna chuckled and came closer to Twilight.

"Dearest Twilight, you are incapable of choosing your own family." The Night Princess said. "Just because there is evil in your family's blood doesn't mean that you have to be evil." Shining looked down at his sister and smiled. She wiped the tears out of her eyes and stood on shaky legs.

"But how-" She paused, trying to form the question in her mind before continuing, which was proving to be an extremely difficult task. "How was a Draconequus able to-" Celestia sighed.

"The Draconeuuines, when they were plentiful, usually only had children within the species. But toward the end of their days, it was discovered that they were compatible with virtually every species in Equestria. In one year, Draconequus hybrids as common as the normal offspring."

"But then how are there so few unicorns in my family?" She asked.

"That's just the workings of Discord for you." She said. Twilight nodded. She reached out with her magic and levitated the page in front of them.

"It doesn't say who his mate was." She told them. "All that it says is 'Nondescript Alicorn'." Twilight paused. She looked from the page to Celestia and back to the page. Something clicked in her brain. "Celestia?" She whispered. "Did you and Discord ever-"

"What?" Celestia cut her off. "No! Never! Not even once! And even if I wanted to, which I don't, he is way too old for me." Luna giggled.

"Yes. You just keep telling yourself that, Sister." Celestia shot a nasty glare at Luna. If looks could kill. Twilight thought.

Shining spoke up. "Well then, who could it be?" He said. This was becoming very puzzling. The princesses shrugged.

"We have no clue as to who Discord's first wife may have been. It's actually pretty surprising that anypony was able to tie him down in the first place." Celestia said. Twilight reached up and tapped Celestia's shoulder. "What is it, my Faithful Student?"

Twilight gulped down the fear that was building inside of her. "Can I- Can I see him?" She asked. Celestia looked as though she was going to say no, but thought better of it.

"Of course you can Twilight. I suspect that you have a lot of questions, and even though he can't answer them, I'm sure that at least getting them off of your chest will help you come to terms with your lineage." The three of them helped Twilight down the stairs and out the front door. Once there, Celestia stopped, puzzled by another thing. "Twilight? Where is Spike?"

"Oh!" The unicorn giggled. "He's spending the night with the Cutie Mark Crusaders at Rarity's house." She said. Celestia nodded. As they trotted out, Twilight noticed all of the Royal Guards surrounding her building. "Um... Princess? Why are they all here?" Celestia blushed slightly.

"N- necessary precautions." The Sun Princess stammered. She couldn't help it. Twilight fell to the ground, laughing her flank off. The laughter was infectious. Within seconds, all four of them were rolling on the ground, giggling, laughing, chuckling, or chortling. Soon, the Royal Guards began to feel the effects of the laughter as well. An entire group of about seventy-eight ponies were all laughing, waking a nearby neighbor.

"Quiet!" The disgruntled mare screamed, which only elicited more laughter from the ponies.

As she regained her composure, Luna turned to Twilight. "Would you like to fly to Canterlot, or shall we take the magical route?" She asked. Twilight smiled.

"Let's fly." She said.

Comments ( 48 )

This fic just gets better and better!
As a writer myself I have to say you've put everyone in a correct character light.
Also no complaints about the chapter length. (I couldn't do better that's for sure!)
Anyway keep it up! :twilightsmile:

1747548 Just Celestia, Luna, Celestia's guards, and Luna's guards.

Ugh. Hinted Dislestia. Hate that ship. Still an interesting read, though I'm curious just what the guards could do that Celestia herself couldn't.

I keep clicking Upvote

but it;s only upvoting once D:

1747573 Does that include Shining Armor? You think that would be something he would mention in one of his oh-so-frequent visits with her.

"Hey sis, good job defeating the personification of chaos and disharmony. So how was Great-great-great-great-great-great-howevermanytimes-grampa doing?"

Yeah, communication's not really his strong point.

Celestia tell me the truth, were you Discord's wife? :ajbemused:

1747580 Not Dislestia, although I agree with it. It's somepony else. Not 'Tia.

1747644 No! Never! Not Even Once! It wasn't Tia.

1747608 Shining was just told when they went to her house.

1747653 Well then, was it Celestia and Luna's MOTHER? :trixieshiftright:

LOL. Discord+Celestia=Twi. I TOTALLY saw that in Celestia's reaction! :rainbowlaugh:

1747662 So the random guard knows the state secret but the captain - who it directly applies to - is kept out of the loop.

distilleryimage1.s3.amazonaws.com/e36a0c78f78411e1b44322000a1e8c9f_6.jpg

Yeah, yeah.

Did Discord know that Twilight was his descendent when he escaped that one time? He was kinda... touchy-feely with her back then.:pinkiesick:

1747679 Nope. And he wasn't 'Touchy-feely'. He was taunting and teasing her, trying to piss her off. He is a troll, you know.

1747666 :trixieshiftleft::trixieshiftright: That's fer me ta know, an' fer you ta find out.:ajsmug:

1747745 O.K. :eeyup:

On an unrelated note I love your avatar, it's so adorable. I just wish I could figure out to how upload one myself.

1747648 Luna then? Or.....dear God....Fausticorn and Discord?!

1747736 That's understandable. I won't argue, but I will say that the small amount of physical interaction shown between Discord and Twilight Sparkle during the Season 2 Premier has played a significant role in the prevalence of Twicord / Discolight shipfics.

Plus, really think about the number of sex jokes you can make with Discord's imprisonment in the statue.

"I've literally had a hard-on for over 4,000 years.":twilightoops:

1747819 heh..... :pinkiehappy: But really? Just because he traced twi's face, they get shipped? makes no sense to me. When you ship, there needs to be more to it than that.

1747852

One day, Lyra and Bon-Bon were shown sitting together on a bench.:pinkiesmile:

Epic tales of their love have been reverberating throughout the land ever since.:pinkiesad2:

I rest my case.:coolphoto:

1747898 Yes, but the good ones build on that. Its not just 'They sat together, so they must do it', it's usually 'they've been together for years, bon bon knows of lyra's obsession with humans, and they were on a date that day'.

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: YAY!:yay: *hugs* i love your stories

Sooo... Twilight and Shining Armor are related to Discord. But the question stands, where the hell are you going with this? I certainly hope you planned in advance, because this seems like a difficult concept to roll with.

1747917 My point was that the brony community tends to draw a lot of conclusions based on little evidence. Fans only saw Lyra and Bon Bon sitting together in one scene, and decided that they were a couple. They might have been/ not have been a couple, or were childhood friends, but no one actually knows that.

The same way that "Scootaloo is a chicken" started from one scene in the Everfree forest with Apple Bloom. And the same way that "Fluttertree" started with that one scene in the train. Or the way that the brown Earth pony with an hourglass cutie mark became the Doctor. Or Ditzy Doo having to change her name to Derpy Hooves to satisfy bronies. Or Trixie wandering the Everfree Forest eating pine-cones. Or "Twenty percent cooler" and "ten seconds flat" becoming Rainbow Dash's catchphrase. Or Scootaloo being an orphan.

Really, conjecture is the foundation upon which the brony community sits. I'm being super profound right now.:coolphoto:

1748016 vague planning. still, it's doin' well, so..... I have next chapter loosely planned.

I love how Shining isn't crazy finding out hes related to evil

How will they fly?

1747852 Ya know, that's like the oddest thing for me when I run into shipping....ShiningxTwilight because they are siblings...(wha?) Spilight because they are friends (wha?) and yet I have found one fic with CadancexTwilight despite the obvious shipping fuel Shining provided at the end of the royal wedding, the shipping fandom is trying to teach me that it's ok to ship a married stallion with his sister but god forbid that we ship his wife with the reason she married the colt in the first place...(WOW I went off on a weird ass loop, didn't I, dood?)

Back to the story...This is pretty good, rather unique in comparison to everything else that has been put on the sight, and I like how I can read it without stopping to ask myself "dafuq" like some stories are trying to do these days, dood.

I shall fav and like as I want to see where this continues too, dood.:twilightsmile:

I cannot say I was ever a fan of the notion that Discord was "evil." Being a deity encompassing chaos would only include evil if evil were to be considered an integral part of disorder, a didactic notion that belittles the complexity and vagaries of both morality and disorder. Painting Discord as an "evil" entity (as opposed to simply mischievous and misaligned to the socio-political causes of the antagonists) works best when said evil originates from the character's backstory as an element outside and alongside his dominion over disorder.

its a good consept, but the pacing feels a bit fast, slow it down a bit, stretch some stuff out.
other than that its good :twilightsmile:

I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner, but is Twilight going to meet her 'cousin'?

media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5wg92Fo0Y1r264th.png

1747679 It would be awkward if he didn't know and then found out

1749722 in this discord isn't evil. He's just dangerous to equestria. So he had to be locked away.

Yesss. Thisss pleasesss usss.
You will continue to make more

1747608 :rainbowlaugh: The "Shining Armor isn't good with communication" thing would make a great meme! I can just imagine Twilight levitating the sandwich (or Mr. Talkin' Sammich) from A Canterlot Wedding and puppeting it to say that.

So i gusse her brother is like well that elps way am so random at times and love to durnk cholck milk

Okay, this is cool. I had to figt back my laughter so I didn't wake up my room mate. :rainbowlaugh: I can't wait to read more of this!

I NEED TO MOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:flutterrage:

I MUST HAVE MOAR.

Are we ever going to have moar i love the concept for this story and am having a hard time having patience waiting for a new chapter of this great fic?

3079237>>2966907>>2882791 It's been a while... I'm finally working on the third, and possibly final, chapter of 'A Startling Discovery'. Canon has kinda raped my fics... All of them... So I almost gave up. I'm still not sure if I should continue.

wait her brother knew all alone why was it that twilight was not aloud to know :rainbowhuh:

"You are a direct descendant of the Draconequus Discord."

Speaking of the lunatic, where is he?

"Yes. You just keep telling yourself that, Sister."

Trolluna strikes again!

"Can I- Can I see him?"

She makes it sound as if he's in prison, well, he technically is, but, no matter.

1747666

That would be a great plot (no pun intended) for My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Soap Opera.

1747736

The biggest darn troll in all of Equestria.

3600923 Just a little tip. If you are writing a story and using a show as a bases for said story (AKA: A Fanfiction) write it the way you want it to be wrote! Now what the way the show wants it to be wrote! Its your writings after all. Just be like... Up to a point it mite or mite not be cannon and then after a point it will trail off into its own story.

Dont stop writing just because the show does something; make the story your own. Own it!

Thats the best advice I can give... I would read this story but its not been updated since 2012, And I hate getting into a story and then finding out that the story has not been updated in three years and most likely never will be... I'll keep it tracked just in case if it does update... But please keep what I've said in mind; and happy writing!

3600923
I cannot emphasize enough what others have said. These stories are yours. Canon cannot torpedo them, just slap an AU tag on them and keep on trucking.

Yes some readers will get their knickers in a twist if your stories don't follow canon, oh well, they have forgotten the main thing, these are works of fiction. the only rule I try to follow is that the personalities stay pretty much the same, Rainbow Dash does not become shy and retiring and Fluttershy is not a bombastic braggart, to use some over the top examples.

Write your stories the way you want them. A good story will find its audience.


ps. see comment by PinkiePieFox

I have just read 4 of your stories. 3 of which are on hiatus. Please find a way to finish them I would love to read more.

Login or register to comment