• Published 18th Aug 2012
  • 6,206 Views, 103 Comments

Anywhere But Here: Odds and Ends - Pacce



The episodic adventures of a kooky griffon and a surly pony in the Equestrian Wasteland.

  • ...
16
 103
 6,206
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 31 )

Sorry that took so long. :raritydespair:
Next one will be much faster coming and have more of that sex and violence that the kids seem to like.
:raritywink:

Good chapter, Rita's reaction to Ditzy was priceless.

Or not, considering what they got.

Hmmm, a main charater named "Little birdy" In my native tongue....

Yes, you will have my attention at a later date (will be my first fallout EQ fic)

2561512
It may take you a while, but at least the chapters are relatively long.

2561739
Rita just... doesn't like people that are made out of rotting meat.
:pinkiesick:

Glad you enjoyed it!

2562151
Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years!
:raritywink:

2562435
Chamoru for the win!
:pinkiehappy:
I'm honored to be your first. I hope you enjoy it and even if you don't I look forward to hearing thoughts and/or opinions be they positive or negative.

2562960
I actually thought about splitting this chapter in two, but then there'd be TWO slow paced chapters about selling stuff in the wastes and I'm kinda striving to have each chapter be different from one another.
:pinkiecrazy:

A nice slow paced chapter without any big events but a lot of little bits that I enjoyed. Tap's "make it stop" moment with PTMs wins the chapter and made me laugh.:pinkiehappy:

Chatterbox is kinda boring at first glace, but thinking just a little bit about it he's such an interesting character with the total dichotomy to Derpy. It's clever how they are opposites in so many ways. Chatterbox is new and out of nowhere while Derpy is a figure from Tap's foalhood. CB is locked inside an immaculate plastic case while Derpy shakes your hoof and has bits falling off. CB won't even bother with Tap's junk while Derpy is excited to turn it into something useful.

I just really like how you managed to cram so much into Rita needing someone to sell her fancy shit to.

2570786
Hah! I'm so glad you liked that, I was wondering if I could portray that bit of him having his mind clear and open and him hating it intensely.

I also worried about the dichotomy you mentioned. It was intentional that the chapter mirrors itself and going to polar opposite kinds of stores with very different shopkeepers, but I was afraid it'd be boring. Guess it worked out though!

But yeah, I really want to have a chapter that says, "It takes work to make money in the wasteland". People can't instantly combine items to make better items, there's not really an easy way to carry hundreds of kilos of stuff of all shapes and sizes, and not every merchant will want to buy what you're selling. So I told a story about the adventures of shopping in post-apocalyptic Equestria. And I guess it didn't suck!

Thanks for the read and the comment, I look forward to what you'll have to say as I put more out.

NTL

It's been a while, but I'm glad to see this story has not abandoned. With that said I'm a bit split about this chapter. It wasn't boring, it actually flew by in a breeze, and - for me - it had the best Rita-ismns of all her appearances so far. But then again this chapter feels like 15k words of "nothing much happens". Still, overall I was entertained and the characterizations were pretty neat, so I don't mind this chapter not being on the plot heavy side.

2575774
Something happened:
They made their money and met some colourful characters.
:rainbowkiss:
Odds and Ends is about the lives of a couple of ne'er do wells and how they got to be the lovely little jackasses that you see in the main story. Ideally, each chapter or story arc (when the chapter name changes on the main page) is its own different adventure and some will be slower than others. I hope you'll enjoy the next ones' more, but don't look around for the BIG story to unfold, that's in the other Anywhere.

2576481
Good luck on that, it's hard to fully roleplay a coward who's afraid to fire a gun in a game that asks you to fight in a war.

Anyway, I'm glad you're having fun and hopefully I'll be delivering more consistently in the future.

Not a lot of action or anything in this chapter, but y'know what? I'm okay with this. This chapter seemed to be more about establishing Tap and Rita's initial chemistry. Y'know.. beyond "you wanna bump uglies?"
And it's gold. This chapter is 15k words, but it was a breeze to read. And I won't count that as a strike against it. It's really a simple pleasure to just watch Rita be... well... insane, and to watch Tap put up with her.

I rather liked the part with Chatterbox, and it really is a very clever tidbit of worldbuilding here: Sure, we could just have some stable ponies running a shopping center. But what about that would make it Fallout Equestria? Too often do I see fics (not limited to FOE fics, mind you) that, by changing a couple words, would be completely indistinguishable from normal fiction about humans; a sign of a severe lack of creativity. We're in a world where MAGIC IS REAL. Let's fucking use it! And not just in a cop-out way to hand-wave away stuff, I mean really use it to make the world interesting and unique.
So here we have a shopping center with no doors. Where the customers and all the inventory are teleported in and out because unicorns can actually do that.

The train ride was also rather well-done, I think. Rather than simply have the location be close to New Appaloosa, or to simply jump-cut over an uneventful journey, we use an established part of the world and even tie it in with Tap's backstory in a way that actually fits.
The thing with Patch and Tap was also quite nice too: we don't need the narration to spell it out that Patch's scarred face is Tap's fault; we're given enough information from their dialogue to be able to figure it out ourselves.

Also Rita's whole thing about implying she'd fuck the train runners, but then only meaning she'd play music for them was golden. It sets it up in just the right way that I, as a reader, actually thought she meant that too, and I believed it wouldn't be at all out of character for her either.
But then, her bait-and-switch wasn't exactly out of character either.
Reasons I <3 Rita.

There were also some vague hints at Miss Fortune. Apparently well before she and Tap were on normal speaking terms as we see them in ABH proper. Speaking of which, I hope this update means we'll get an update on the other fic soon. I'm dying to find out what happens now that Tap is... well.. now that he has that "condition". :twilightoops:

And of course, let's not forget Ditzy. It was hilarious to see the role reversal Tap and Rita had around her: suddenly Tap's the one to handle all the bargaining (not that Ditzy's a hard sell), and Rita's the one nearly ruining it all (not that Ditzy would hold it against her anyway, I'm sure).

And Ditzy's reaction to the RD standee was a nice touch too.

In all, it was a good chapter. Well-paced, and definitely worth the wait.

2592726
TL;DR
:derpytongue2:
I'm KIDDING!
Seriously comments like yours are what makes it all worth it. Not that you liked it, thought that is great, but because your comment makes me feel like you actually read it and noticed what I tried to do.
So thank you for you reading comprehension and lovely comment and I hope I can keep paying you back with enjoyable reading material!
:pinkiehappy:
I was actually worried I was going too weird with Chatterbox and his shop, on account of not really showing off a normal shop first. But I guess it worked out!

The train ride is something of a happy accident, as I was writing, I realized that I put them REALLY FAR AWAY from New Appleloosa when I had every intention of them having to be back there by the end. The thought of having a battery and then just "Here we are in New Appleloosa" just wouldn't work because there's soooo much cool and interesting stuff that can happen in the Wastes and we'd miss out on Tap and Rita interacting. So the train evolved from me being short-sighted, but I'm glad because it gave me a chance to do more subtle world-building and show a lot more of Tap and a little more of Rita.

I worry that I went too far with Lady Luck as an "introduction", but a friend who has read neither FoE or the main Anywhere But Here assured me that it came across to him as Tap just having severe emotional and psychological issues.
And do not fear, Stonershy is hard at work on chapter 7 and I'm hard at work telling him, "No, like that, but better!" So I'm sure you'll see what condition Tap's condition is in soon enough. But for now, let him rest. In peace.

I forget how much fun it is to write Derpy until I'm doing it. And honestly, ripping off her skin, feathers, and tongue just makes her more fun to write. Now, not only is she clumsy and awkward, she's disgusting and has to communicate non-verbally; it's a hoot to my diseased mind.

Really, thank you again for the comment, it made me feel like I'm not wasting my time over-thinking these things as I write them.

2604478
Oh, I know quite well, from personal experience, just how nice it is to receive thoughtful comments like that, and I do what I can to provide such meaningful feedback on the stories that I follow (though I've been falling behind on that lately x_x).

Chatterbox was weird, but I liked it; like I said, it showed some real cleverness, and even if it hadn't worked out, I still would have lauded you for the attempt to do actually use and explore the setting.

It's actually somewhat surprising (though, perhaps not entirely, in retrospect) to hear that the train was a more organic evolution of the story than something that had been planned ahead of time. It really did work well, though, and didn't come off as contrived in any way. And, in a way, Tap and Rita's problem about how to get to New Appleloosa, and their solution to it, mirrored your own problem and solution. Art imitating life indeed.
And certainly you had the right attitude about making every part of the story meaningful. A simple jump-cut would have been the easy way out, and probably wouldn't have drawn any attention, but you're right: we would have missed out on some wonderful interactions along the way.
And watching Tap and Rita interact is really the main appeal to these stories. :heart:

Keep up the good work!

Still my two most favorite fics, looking forward to more!

2683831
Because my story has something they don't:
A sexy grif.
:raritywink:
Also quality writing or whatever.

2683402
Heee, I'm glad. Sorry about the wait in between, but know that work is being done!

This is my favorite FoE story is it dead? I'm really curious i mean i haven't seen any info on it or the main story in forever and i really love them both. ps Rita is my favorite FoE character of all time

4070965
Main story is working on its next chapter now, I'm 16 pages in on the next chapter of this, but I've put it on pause to finish Duel.

Sorry about the, uh, year off. Kiiiiiiiinda had a super lot going on. :pinkiecrazy:

4071605 Don't worry about the year off i'm just glad you guys haven't given up on it.
Take as much time as you need and don't get burned out. Unless your a workaholic and its your thing. i believe good things need time which is why i'm not seriously crying right now.
Because Witcher 3 got pushed into next year :raritydespair: . *coughs and rights self* aaaaaannnyyway thank you for responding cant wait for the next chapter. Hope its just as awesome as all the rest.

This is on my 'Compulsively check to see if it's updated yet' list. Good story. *slowclap*

Can't really believe It's been a year since this story updated (I hoped it was next week so I could produce some Tap/Rita art, but I have also been busy). Still, no rush getting it going again, if at all. I know all too well what it's like to stop writing for a while and the time creeps up.
Even if it is the end, it was a good ride.

Sooo... is the project dead? I really like Rita and would like to see more of her.

5203941
Not dead.
Stonershy is still very active with the other Anywhere But Here story.
Let's just say I've been having BAD TIMES and getting out of bed is hard for me most days.

Is this story going to get an update...?

Your book has been advertised on the new facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/foebooks/ :)

This story is a fucking work of art. Never has plentiful, gory and senseless violence and needy, rough inter-species sex been so entertaining. A sublime parody.
It happens very rarely that I add something permanently unfinished to my favourites, but this here deserves it. Then again, the point it ends at isn't the most inadequate moment to stop. It fits.

7020310
Fun fact, I have the next chapter entirely done barring a bit of editing and the one following it more than halfway, both will come out this month. I fell off the writing wagon because dealing with LIFE, but now I'm writing a lot every day.

Keep your eyes open friendo and thanks for the comment.

7021338 Then I seem to have found your story at just the right time. :pinkiehappy:
Hope all stays well for you.

When do you plan on continuing this awesome story, Pacce?

why does the link to the main story not work?

what happened to the original? link isn't working? (i got a epub of it if fimfiction accidently lost it

Here's an archive of the original if anyone is interested.
https://u.smutty.horse/miedwfuqppf.zip
Edit: Updated the link since old one died.

man, i wish this hadnt have died, even if the main it was based off did, it was pretty good back in the day. i feel old now.

Login or register to comment