• Published 2nd Aug 2012
  • 6,369 Views, 166 Comments

What Is This, Tron?!? - artsofallkinds



Short first person ship with you and the Chrome Pony.

  • ...
12
 166
 6,369

OOC: You Tell Me

OOC: 'Sup bronies?

I really want to continue this fic. I do. It's my most popular story, and people seem to like it a lot.

Big problem, though; I have no idea how to continue it.

I've got a good setup. It's both Boy meets Girl and New World, like a cyber Pocahontas (the Disney one), and I'm sure there are a lot of great stories to tell within this reality. But I know I don't want this to become Slice of Life. I'd much rather it be a continual adventure, or for it to have a clear linear progression towards a goal. But I really don't know how to continue -- as in, I can't think of any circumstances that will drive the plot for chapters to come.

I've had a few ideas. I'll list them, as well as the reasons I never liked them:

1) Romi falls in love with another program, probably Apple Maps (because its annoyingness can be easily translated into a jerkish personality that readers can easily hate). However, this is both a bad long-term idea -- it'd be a good plot for maybe one chapter -- and uncharacteristic of Romi to do.

2) The Big Adventure: the user and Romi must quest for some reason, probably to rid his iPod of viruses. One, iPods don't really get viruses; two, the memory of the device is a limited space and not a good location for exploring.

So yeah, I'm out of ideas.

That's why I'm turning to you!

Let's consider this a contest. You (yes, you! In that chair there! xD) may inspire me with the method in which this fic will be continued. Leave a comment, send a message, whatever! If you can tell me a good, logical, and entertaining way of continuing this fic without it becoming Slice of Life, and I like it the best, you will be rewarded with your name glorified forever on the next chapter of this story, as well as one (1) favor, such as having the user's username your username or something cool like that. You decide!

Anyway, I gotta go. I'm sure one of you guys will come up with something awesome!

Best of luck,
-Arts

Comments ( 69 )

I like the idea of The Big Adventure, but I think I know how you could extend upon it. Have the User's Ipod get infected with a virus that can't be removed with conventional means. So, the User and Roni have to travel to the ancient reaches of the internet to find one of the oldest and wisest programs that is said to be able to destroy any virus, no matter how complex it is. Along the way, the duo have to overcome the many trials and enemies the web throws at them. And on top of that, there's a rogue group of programs who's goal is to get into the government mainframe to wreak havoc and bring the country to its knees. So, on top of trying to get to this ancient program, they have to work together to stop these rogue organizations from achieving their goals, as there is more to Roni than meets the eye.

I hope you like this idea. :)

They've been together for years and said iPod begins to die. Under the principle that new devices have to have practically EVERYTHING reset, Romi and User.exe programs would not carry over. Also sending it to the dealer would wipe everything like transfering devices. So his problem is either letting her go or risking bringing someone else into it who would be able to save Romi, but would most likely spread the secret which would end up having many consequences (none of which i can think up right now).

Hope you enjoy my half-asleep brain's idea. :pinkiehappy: I L:heart:VE this story! Please continue!

:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:/10

3383148 Isn't that a lot like a slice of life?

The Firefox kidnaps Romi?

3383153 Idk. I just woke up. And asking me to think right after I get up is not the smartest thing to do.

Maybe something starts to delete apps and they have to find what before they're both erased

3383122
I would vote for this guy.
Its nice to see that your starting this story again, its a good one.
As for idea's....
Lets see.
Ah i got nothing, i'l post something here if i do get an idea.
Good luck and have a nice night.

Any space issues can be solved by plugging into a computer. Just make sure it's one User hasn't decked out with pony or there'll be two Chromes running around. :twilightoops:

i didnt read the story but i love the picture,
i want one of those in plushie form

Well, you could have him end up traveling through the internet and having to deal with viruses there.

Hey now. I'll have you know I'm on my bed, not a chair. :P

As far as ideas going forward...
I figure the next logical step is them trying to be together more. Either protag-whose-name-eludes-me tries to extend the duration of his visits, or Romi tries to reverse the headphone connection to do a "ride-along" in his head, or something. The former would lead to real-world shenanigans as the protag searches for someone with the knowledge to help him (and probably makes a fool of himself at least once), the latter would probably involve more Romi making him act weird, attracting suspicion, and trying to teach her about the world while hiding her existence. These are both kinda slice-of-life-ish though.

Ooooooor his pony-theme establishes MAGICAL FEEDBACK RESONANCE CASCADE O' DOOM in his phone, and suddenly phone-land and Equestria are connected via portal (because screw science, we have plot devices). Cue Pinkie Pie commandeering the internet, Celestia having issues with the programs being basically slaves, or any other shenanigan that seems appropriate. This one is probably actually the better option, because as things stand, this is running very, very close to not having any grounding in the FiM universe, which the mods don't like (for understandable reasons), so if you can fix that AND advance the story at the same time, that's killing two birds with one stone.

I know the newer Tron Movie was kind of bad, but it had a good idea at the ending.
I the "user" finds his love, would he be satisfied if said love was trapped in a device as his slave? Why don't go looking for ways to give her the experience of his world? A bit like in the movie "Bicentennial Man" with Robin Williams. He wanted to become Human to experience the world through their eyes, like Romi said in the first chapter. So you could call it her dream. So while the user is looking for a way on earth, they venture around at night in the world wide web to look for the magical cyberspace portal to earth. That would mean for Romi and him to leave the safety of his ipod. Traps like Firewalls, Viruses and other shadowy programs on their way and so on. Much to see and much to tell. Example:

A Firewall trapped his Romi in a system of a bank in the city. User can't do much while he is connected, so he goes their as human to shut the firewall down. He has to break into a bank. The ipod works as a connection device for him and he connects from inside the bank, so that he is at the other side of the firewall. He shuts it down so Romi is free again.

Sorry for my bad English, but I'm only German ^^

I'm not a big fan of option one, but option two's idea of an adventure sounds good to me. As for how you should go about that I think you should have it so that the story isn't just limited to the Ipod, for example you could branch it out into the real world or maybe off into the vastness of the internet. For the real world idea Romi would become more interested in the Human world and want to see more of it; watching through the Ipod as the protagonist brings her around on "Dates". The internet idea would go along the lines of Wreck-it-Ralph where the characters would be able to use a transit system of some kind to venture out into the world wide web.

Next big thing I think you should focus on is a "Big Bad" kinda character, essentially you need a villain to ruin everything. This villain could be anything from a virus like in Summer Wars (It's a really good movie/anime) that could be doing anything from going around deleting things to trying to destroy the world. Another idea for a antagonist would be a Human; this character could be anyone from a hacker to a government agency. In the Human case they would find some strange things going on with two ponies hoping around the web and ether attempt to stop them or capture them for their own gain.

Anyways, this is your story and you should do what you want with it; I'll be sad to see this end so quickly, but if you feel that you need to end it then I can't stop you. I hope you get some inspiration from reading mine and anyone else's comments and ideas! :pinkiehappy:

I don't know Romi seems very interested in the real world if you could somehow get her there I would be very interested to see that.

Im reading this on my bed so im not in?:trollestia:

Heres an idea for an adventure: connect your ipod to your computer

3384042 I agree with ya. but I think they should go on a ridiculously long adventure in the ipod to look for an app that can make them go real life. much like MLPFan12's comment but still with the virus thingi before the ridiculously long adventure.

He loses his iPod?

Is it possible for romi to somehow go into the real world?

3383153 not if he uses a time jump

Mac products don't usually get viruses, but there are glitches and bugs whenever iOS moves up an iteration. The change from 6 to 7 caused some chrome apps to become unresponsive, and there was a similar problem with 5 to 6. This could be incredibly frightening to a user stuck inside a device.

Alternately you could play up the bias shown by Apple products towards Apple software; for instance Chrome can never be the default browser (as far as I know), effectively making her a second class citizen. Perhaps she's not even that, but an unwanted, barely tolerated interloper. How would Romi feel about that, and how would your protagonist react to it?

Hope that helps some. Good luck.

what if someone is creating a program similar to CelestA.I. except it doesn't know that it's a program and then when she sees his ipod and how he can only enter/stay with Romi for an hour CelestA.I. gets the idea to try and keep him in the Ipod but he is still alive on the physical plane after a few days of being missing from work without calling in one of his co-workers alerts authorities they go in and see him lying on his be with his ear buds in and they cant wake him up they then decide to take him to the hospital but when they try to take his ear buds out his body starts to seizure both on the physical plane and the digital one user somehow figures out that he is still physically alive he has reasons that he should go back for i.e. family other friends etc. and Romi although wanting him to stay doesn't want him to be sad/worried so she helps him get back out of the system all the while the doctors are trying to figure out whats going on and when they are about to pull the plug Romi and User manage to get a message out to them and continue with that.
i think this is the biggest comment i've ever made

ooh...:rainbowderp: have another storm happen while he is on the phone and have a way for them to contact each other form either it be through text or video or just voice. another idea that chainlinc3 said is to find a way to lengthen his time there or (my idea here)make it permanent. then have a twist such as the person he was talking to coming by to visit and getting sucked in.

Y'know, you could make it to where they find a way to bring Romi into the real world.

Kinda like Tron...

Tron...

HOLLLLYY SHHIITTTTT

DO ET FAGGET

BRING HER INTO THE REAL WORLD LIKE TRON

DO ET FAGGET

I'm agreeing a lot with the whole TRON thing and bringing her into the real world, but maybe that could be the finisher, and then a sequel or "act 2" being Romi adjusting to the real world.

But before that, have Romi venture into User's computer and then whatever exciting adventure someone else (or you) comes up with.

I'm not looking for credit, but I wanted to pitch in my small bit of two cents because I miss this story a lot.

Viruses and the internet. A human being, living on the internet. have him do something with the military systems and such.

Visit the Apple Store

Well, the main male character must go outside for some reason or another, and he may bring his I-pod with him. Anything could happen to an object, wherever it could break, be stolen, or messed with by others.
Of course, backstory on the human is necessary for this to continue in the long run, if you wish to write chapters based on the real world.

Go for the one where you know you have more freedom. I sincerly thought this was a dead fic, but okay.
Rembember good stories...
>The main character has a risk of some sorts. The greater the risk, the better
>The main character changes throughout the story
>The main charcter needs a outer motivation [something that keeps him comming back] and it must be completed at the end of the story.
>sub characters must contribute or hamper the outer motivation.
>Always have conflict. without conflict, you get no story.
>Resolve the conflict at the end.

About realisim...
EDIT: I just saw the expository paragraph explaining the. Exe. As a power user on both apple and windows and as someone in a A+ Certified course, it nagged me to hell. So ignore the chunk on the bottom about. Exes. Also you can introduce a villain to input viruses or simply go on the idea of bugs/discrepancies/glitches in iOS. Especially the idea of updates and rehaulling Chrome every update. Also build the main character up. Be careful though and make sure you create a likable main character.

Well. iPods don't use .exe's in the first place, so you threw out all and most realisim in the first place. But saying that iPods don't get viruses is baloney. Not common, but very very very possible. in fact, iOS is probably going to be targeted really soon for a mass infection. Zeus Botnet variants already exist for iOS and Android.

(note if you want to make it more realistic, iOS is a port of Mac OSX basically, so you can look here http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/30/mac-os-x-directory-structure-explained/ to see the directories(folders that would exist in the C drive))
Some additional information regarding iOS in general.
System Files that load at the begining of a launch/start/restart are usually systemfile.plist,(Daemons)
Applications are named application.app
Inside each .app file are directories
>library (where user interacted files, information like saves and stuff are placed)
>tmp ( temporary files.)
>another application.app

That's all in the top of my head. Good luck, Have Fun.

MY DISAPPOINTMENT IS PALPABLE

I WAS SO SAD THIS HADN'T UPDATED FOREVER

AND THEN IT DID

BUT YOU LIED TO ME

AND DAMMIT I CAN'T BE THE ONE TO WRITE ALL THE STUFF I LIKE AROUND HERE

THAT'S YOUR JOB

LAZY, UNINSPIRED AUTHOR(me) IS LAZY AND UNINSPIRED

I CAN OFFER NO ASSISTANCE

3384737 HOLY SHIT THIS

EXISTENTIAL CRISES PLZ

3386517

Thanks... I think I have a way to make it make sense actually, because of your advice ^^

And I'll be sure to use all of those story... thingies. :twilightblush:

Step one connect your iPod to you conputer step two get into iPod and through that to your conputer step four ha oh whoops I ment step three surf the web like a badass holding you girlfriend and riding into the digital sunset or at least the internets version of a sunset.

I think it would be cool if someone else finds his Ipod and sees the app.

Make the User leave his Ipod charging in his house and have one of his family members install Firefox beacuse the familiar thinks Chrome isnt good, User comes back and he dosent notice the program and goes back inside his Ipod, he then finds Firefox and begins the start of a love triangule seeing Firefox falls for User.

Genious I know!

What happens when lets say, he jail breaks it? then it is free for viri (plural of viruses) so attack?

I would say that first of all the iPod gets infected somehow by a virus that has the look of changelings and it's slowly erasing the data on the device. First some saves of games disappear, then more and more.
They try now to stop the virus, but Romi gets attacked by it and barely survives. Through that, she suffers under memory loss and the User now tries to reconstruct her memory with trying to get access to the core of the virus, which looks like a changeling queen, and undo the attack by defeating the queen.

I hope my fantasy helps you. And please don't punish me if you think my idea is nothing special, it's 4A.M.

3383179 With the help of Safari

Just load the two of them into apps or something......Can you get metal gear mobile on apple devices?....

iOS 7 screws his ipod up and they have to find th' backup to fix it.

Does Apple know of this?
Does Apple know that It's Apps/ machines etc have thousands of electronic life forms living inside them?
If they don't?
If they DO?
I think that would be quite interesting to explore.

Also, another App is upset over it's abysmal usage time and is jealous of =chrome's shining usage time, so it could be the main villain or in some way help the main villain.

Just my two bits for ideas.

3384042
You could hack one of those robo-dog things they sell at Toys R us and download her into it. That could be used for real-world exploration. Though really this particular suggestion would only be as a failed attempt. Obviously she would want something better.
-
3383179
This has the potential to be either very dark, or very funny.

Firefox: "You think he loves you, Chrome? Well guess what? We've been together longer than you have! I know his habits like I know my code! His history, his favorite music dating back five years, his-" *Sultry look* "preferences," *wink* "his favorites recipes, and most of the names of his friends!"
Chrome: "And I don't? He customized me personally, and has used the Search option for the internet many times. And then one day he actually came inside his iPod and spent time with me. He was actually here and we snuggled on a couch. Has he ever done that for you?"
Firefox: "You can only claim point because you got there first! I was busy when he showed up!"
Chrome: "Yeah. Busy being in Sleep-Mode. When's the last time he used your functions for anything besides checking his Email?"
Firefox: "Grr!" *Shakes hoof* "I'm still hotter than you! I AM Firefox, after all!"
Chrome: .... "Really? You're down to making bad puns?I guess you're all 'burnt out', Foxy." *smirk*

Try using the games on the device as separate adventures on their own. Games with a storyline would work better, or you could make a storyline based on the game centered on user and Chrome.:twilightsmile:
Whatever works for you.

....venture into a videogame I dunno
play Left4Kdead, or maybe meet Adobe flash or something I dunno
is the clip thing in here?
they find out about torrents, and how they can easily be sent into another person's system, and meet other thangs, I
I 'm gonna be honest, I dont even remember half of the story right now, sorry

The user tries to study programing and go to college (not necessary going to college, but, oh well, just an idea) in order to find a way to expand his time inside the virtual world and input Romi into the real world, like trough another eletronic device, like a television, or a laptop with cam and mic so that they could see and talk to each other and develop something for her, and in the meantime somehow her data is inputed into some device around the city without the User's notice and she get lost, so the User ask help of other AP's to find her 'n stuff. Hope i aknda helped there

Oooh, oooooohhh!!

User uses Skype Pony to help Romi see the real world via camera, so he takes her on a "date" walking around in a city or something. But User gets mugged, and he loses his iPod. He buys a new one, but he just can't get the app to visit Romi again, meanwhile the mugger gets sent in by accident and gets mindraped. Then User goes on an epic adventure to find his true love.

Then, at the end of the story, he figures out how to let Romi into the real world as a human, and they live happily ever after, the end.

Feel free to expand on this.

3383498 A bit of a Who's who situation... use that guy.
Really.

The big Adventure (style): The user and Romi are pulled out of his Ipod and both now exist in the massive interconnected information data (AKA: the world wide web/the internet) and must find their way back to the Ipod. Along the way they meet other web browsers and interesting folk who meander through the digital world full of other Users, Viruses, Trolls and more. However Time is against them as "The User" must get back to his body before his system(his body) shuts down for good. The problem... his body has no IP address!

This Idea came from me (the desert brony) for 3387355 to use if he feels like it.

Well, romance stories have many ways it can go! One way is obvious troubles. One is a human, the other is a pony version of Chrome. Society would be a huge problem. Depending on his friends and his age, User would have problems with that.

Also, normal relationship troubles! I have a story, not on this account, where it will be filled with both of those things. So far in my planning, it seems good.

Also, what would happen with Romi if the Ipod died or something. Water damage, broken by dropping, something or other. What would happen? Would User have to go through an adventure to get Romi back, or would it automatically be Romi again? And that causes some troubles too.

Remember. You have created a world in an Ipod, but it doesn't exactly HAVE to take place there. Real world problems could casue Romi to worry, or something happens to User and he is unable to get his Ipod for a while.

Just some ideas, Idk. I really love this story, and hope you can figure out where to go from here!

It seems that the most popular choices are the Code:LEOKO method and the iPod adventure method. Either way, I could help you with content ideas when you make a decision on the story progression.

Login or register to comment