• Published 13th Mar 2017
  • 2,450 Views, 48 Comments

Unto Greener Pastures - Sylvian



Long ago, Rarity promised Twilight something; To wait for her in the life beyond. Today, Twilight will see if that promise will come true.

  • ...
7
 48
 2,450

Unto Greener Pastures

Unto Greener Pastures

By Sylvian

Because all injuries heal, and all eternities end.

At first, there was darkness.

To say that the lack of light does not scare, and yet in it’s own way intrigue, Princess Twilight Sparkle would be an understatement. For one thing, the darkness went against everything that she had ever heard from spiritual people, that there would be light and all the ones she loved waiting for her before shining gates, or some such thing. That scared her, that now at the end of all things, at least for her, she was faced with naught but an all consuming, all enshrouding darkness, instead of the face of the one she truly wished to see.

Honestly, so far, being dead sucked.

Well, okay, so it didn’t completely suck. Darkness notwithstanding, she could not breath easier? Well, if she breathed, Twilight isn’t all that sure she really is even breathing anymore, or if just a tiny sliver of her conscious mind was pretending to. She also didn’t ache. But then, she’d need a body for that, and so far as Twilight can see, she is comprised of nothing more than a floating voice in whatever passed as her head right now.

Sighing, the sound of which would have made Twilight jump if not for the fact she doesn’t currently have a body, Twilight resigns herself to simply studying the void and floating around in it for the rest of eternity.

Which, truthfully, doesn’t seem too bad.

Disappointing, perhaps, since it looks like her and Rarity will end up breaking their promises to each other, but after ten-thousand-plus years of being an important pony, Twilight could use a few centuries of peace and quiet.

“Honestly, darling, you’ve hardly changed a bit,” A voice, which causes Twilight’s non-existent heart to skip a beat, echoes from the darkness. “Still as analytical and prone to anxiety.”

“Rarity?” Twilight’s own voice answers, echoing into the darkness surrounding them. “Is that you?”

“Of course it is, my dear,” Rarity chuckles. “Who else would it be?”

“I.. I don’t know,” Twilight sighs as she ‘looks’ around. “But, I mean it’s so dark and…”

“Nothing like you expected?” Rarity says softly. “Yes. I thought that at first, too. And honestly, it really isn’t anything like you’d expect.” Suddenly, Twilight feels warmth surrounding her, and can almost swear she can feel Rarity’s breath on her face. “But, I assure you, love of mine, it is not dark.”

“But it’s dark now,” Twilight insists.

“Well, yes,” Rarity concedes, her tone playful, teasing even. “But we can fix that. But, I’ll need you to do something for me, darling.”

“What?” Twilight asks, almost breathlessly, at Rarity actually asking her to do something.

“Close your eyes,” Rarity starts, but pauses before chuckling. “And yes, I know it won’t make much difference, what with all this tacky blackness around us.” Twilight suddenly feels arms around her, and once more the feeling of Rarity’s breath on her face, as her lips are right beside her face. “Close your eyes, and think of home.”

Twilight does as asked, or really attempts to do what she is asked. She has no idea if her eyes are closed or not, as the darkness is just as all consuming both ways. However, she starts thinking about home, or well really what really felt like home to her. She started thinking about all the little things, the things she missed….

“Okay,” Twilight says slowly, “now what?”

“Tell me about it,” Rarity instructs, her breath still hot on Twilight’s face and ear. “Describe it to me.”

“Well,” Twilight starts, her tone almost hesitant. “Home… home is the Carousel Boutique… the soft sound of your humming, the whir of your sewing machine…” Twilight takes a deep, slow breath, Rarity’s scent filling her nose. “The… the scent of your perfume in the air, along with the scent of an old book, the soft rays of the noon-day sun warming my back as I sit in the window near your sewing equipment.”

As she talks, the air around her changes.

At first, it’s nothing more than a soft breeze, the air gently stirring the feathers of her wings and brushing against her mane and coat with the softness of an old and dear lover. But then the air grows warmer, not uncomfortably so, in fact quite pleasantly, and Twilight can feel the sunlight laying across her body and warming her coat exactly as she described it.

Then. Then she feels hooves on her shoulders, warm breath of her face. The soft sound of a sigh along with the feeling of hot breath on her face, and the gentle feeling of a hoof slowly making it’s way down her neck as Rarity pets her mane, sending tingles down her spine.

“So, after all these years,” Rarity whispers, her voice hitching slightly. “Home is where I am?”

“Yes,” Twilight whispers back, her eyes slowly opening.

“I’m flattered,” Rarity chuckles as her face comes into focus before Twilight, as beautiful and as flawless as it had been every day they had been married. And nothing, not even the sight of the very building she had just described being around them, nor the noon-day sun filtering in through the window beside her with her favorite book perched between her hooves, makes her smile more than the smiling, youthful, Rarity before her.

“I-” Twilight starts, tears welling up in her eyes as she just stares at Rarity. “I- it could be nowhere else, Rarity. No castle, manor, or villa, was ever as much home to me as the home I shared with you.”

Reaching up slowly, her hoof shaking slightly, Rarity gently cups Twilight’s cheek as her own tears well up in her eyes. Leaning in slowly, Rarity whispers one final thing to Twilight before capturing her in a kiss that would have killed Twilight, if she’d not already been dead.

“Welcome home, Twilight.”

And for the first time in an eternity, something deep inside her seems to heal. An injury she’d never known had been there on her heart, a scar so faded and so deeply worn into the very fabric of her being, vanishes.

And just like that, in the warm and caring arms of her long lost first, and honestly only, true love Twilight cries.

Not out of fear, nor sadness. But joy.

She cries.

Because, for the first time in forever.

Twilight, is whole again.

Author's Note:

So, after much sobbing and telling Mono that Injuring Eternity was one of the greatest stories I had read this website, I decided to write this little epilogue to go beyond the final chapter of her story, that chapter being "My last chapter" and write Rarity and Twilight fulfilling the promise they made each other.

Also, Mono, I am glad you enjoyed this when I showed it to you earlier. It means a lot to hear you liked what I wrote.

To everyone else, I know this isn't my usual kind of story, but I needed a break from writing my adventure, and Mono's story honestly struck a chord in my heart when I read it. So I hope you all like this little deviation from the norm, I'll return us to our regularly scheduled Daring Do and others being awesome shortly.

-Sylvain

Comments ( 48 )

You turned me into a dirty RariTwi Shipper!

Great, now I can scratch you off my RariTwi hit shipping list.

Loved this, Now I need to go and read this Injuring Eternity story I have been hearing so much about.

8018722 Yes. You should. Right now, in fact.

Not enough cheesy puns on the title of the original. > : (

That one majorly important detail that I've hinged my entire opinion of this story on aside... it was good.

8018719
Yes, you can scratch my name off your hit shipping list. I swear, all it took was you to make me cry and then I wrote a story about how true love transcends even death!

Plus... they make a cute couple... so I couldn't resist...


8018722
I highly recommend it, it's a brilliantly written story that grabs you by the heart strings and never lets you go.


8018726
I wanted to put more cheesy puns in! I really did! But, it felt wrong to do so for a story with the topic of life after death, especially with the nature of Injuring Eternity. That isn't to say I didn't want to add some, like I kicked around the idea of Rarity joking with Twilight about how "She likely expected to wake up in a field of stars with the most beautiful mare in the universe singing to you, meaning moi, and scenes from her life flashing before your eyes!" and of course, Twilight was going to say yes to that...

However, it just didn't fit, so I didn't put it in.

8018790 It was a joke. :P

8018796

Eh, fair enough. Just, due to my usual style of writing I took it dead serious xD because honestly if you look at any of my other works, there is jokes and puns galore.

:duck: how's My Spikey Wikey
:twilightsmile: He's doing fine...why?
:moustache: I'm here too
:twilightoops:???
:raritywink: His pilot light got snuffed out
:moustache: forgot to pay the gas company
:facehoof:

8018916

He forgot to pay M.A. Larson's usual fare of a mountain of diamonds and the souls of the brony community to continue to exist.

8018935 :pinkiehappy: Those balloon payments at the end are a killer!:pinkiegasp:

:derpytongue2: Larson gives you wings! :rainbowlaugh: That's Red Bill :trollestia: A boy cow?

8018946
Tell me about it! I'm convinced Pinkie Pie is able to afford them (And thus her reality defying powers) because she bottles the laughter of small children, which I am told is the sweetest of wines for Larson.

8019136
media.giphy.com/media/8fen5LSZcHQ5O/giphy.gif

In all seriousness, I am glad you liked the story!

Mono won't stop until we're all in the RariLight

8019345
Yes, yes she won't... not that I care... I've already been converted to the RariTwi Borg.

You monster.... you made me sad... I read Mono's story then went straight to this. I'm so lucky I have self control on raritwi or I would have downright sobbed and my parents would have been all over me. Then only thing sadder was Ravenpaw's Farewell and that's only because I knew him from book on and got attached to him from the whole Warrior Cats series. I wish you luck on all your stories and hope they all move people as much as this one did.

8019676

Thank you for the warm words of encouragement, and I am glad you didn't sob and make your parents curious. I mean what would they say if they knew you were crying over a pair of imaginary colorful talking equines!

And, thank you again for wishing me luck. Honestly, though, my other stories are (In my opinion) just as good, though my original "Memories of Midnight" surpasses this one in the sad tear jerking category. But, that's also spread over five chapters.

Good stuff.:twilightsmile:

Nice. Sweet way to wrap this up indeed. All the best on your future writing!

Raridash for life! Your kind shall never convert me!

well, kinda?

8020791

Thank you! I am glad you liked it, and thank you for the kind words for my future endeavors.

Also, I typically read SoarDash, so, yeah.

Writing RariTwi is new...

I see I am not the only one victim to Mono's Feels.

8030379
Nope, you are not alone in the "Mono, what have you done to me!?" department.

Monochromatic has no doubt turned many of us to the Raritwi side. The only thing is: I like it! :pinkiehappy:

This, right here, is now officially my favorite ending to any story on this site, fan made or otherwise. It makes me wish l could write something that good.

8039812

Thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed it as much as you did, and I am glad you think I did a good job! :twilightblush:

And, honestly, it's all practice in the end. I've written this sort of scene before, though i never published the other scene, so I already had the basic idea well set in stone. :pinkiehappy:

Still, I am glad you liked it. And, yes, Mono has turned many to the RariTwi side of the pony, not that I care I rather like it here... there are plenty of books.

Thank you for this. The epilogue healed my "broken" heart as well.
It really provided closure to the feels that were lingering after mono's epic tale.
:')

8043244
You are most welcome and I am glad you enjoyed it that much! Also glad I could help heal your broken heart. Though, I shall never hold a candle to Mono's story, Injured Eternity shall forever be one of my favorites.,

I sobbed so much during the first story thanks for this

8107142
I sobbed a lot during the original story myself, especially during the final chapter. Rarity's death struck home with me really hard, and in a way that I never expected. And so I wrote this story, mostly because I felt I needed to write it.

But... also because Rarity's death, and the way Twilight reacted, reminded me of my grandfather and my mother.

See, my grandpa died of heart failure at the end of last August. Like Rarity, it was a long... long battle. It was a battle we all knew he wouldn't win, that each stay in the hospital, each visit to the doctors, each time his chest hurt or he couldn't catch his breath, might be the last time. Honestly, we had hoped he would be around longer, but we also knew that his time was close... more so when the doctor looked him and my mother in the face and told them right out that the medication wasn't working anymore, that it was just too advanced.

And much like Rarity and Twilight, we put on a brave face and smiled for him every day. Right up until the end.

To this day, there are three things I know I will remember unto my dying day: My brother telling me EMS had pronounced him dead, the sound of my mom crying, and the look on my grandmother's face as the EMS Chaplain spoke with her.

So, when I read that final chapter, when I read the part where Twilight came home to an empty house, I remembered. I remembered the crying, the pain, the empty feeling of loss.

So I wrote this short story, because I felt it was needed. Because I needed it.

Again, thanks for enjoying it, and sorry for the small info dump :twilightblush:

So how does twilight die? Does Celestia kill her?
Does she get a flesh eating disease?

8221361
Mono left it unclear in Injuring Eternity, but after the long battle my grandfather had with his health, I'd hazard a guess that Twilight is dying of something akin to what got Rarity (Congestive Heart Failure), or simply the fact that she is just so old her body is just shutting down. It happens, you know, when you hit old age, you body just sometimes decides it has gone on long enough, and fails.

However, at nearly 10-thousand years old, I think she lived a good, long, life.

This is so lovely! :heart: I love the original ending to IE, of course, but as an unofficial, Mono-approved sequel/ending? This was as perfect as you can get! Nicely done!

8310980
Thank you!

I couldn't help but write it, honestly ;3 and I am glad you liked it!:twilightblush:

It's just allergies. I'm not crying.:raritydespair:

8221361
Of all the ideas, Celestia murdering her is one of them? I don't remember any signs of that in the original story. :rainbowhuh:

8548206
Well i wouldnt put it past her to do that.

8548206

8548663
Just to put this to rest, although Mono left it vague as to what exactly killed Twilight, she did tell us what it was in general.

Twilight looked at Rarity’s hoof and uncrossed one of her forelegs so she could place her own hoof on top of the unicorn’s. “I guess I wanted to wait until…” She drifted off and sighed. “I’m sick, Rarity.” Another pause, and then a correction. “I’m dying. Soon.”

Celestia did not kill Twilight. Twilight got sick, and passed away surrounded by her friends and family.

8548744
Admittedly, I forgot that part. Thanks for clarifying. :twilightsheepish:

8549104
You're welcome ;3

It was literally a passing comment in a single paragraph in the final chapter of Injuring Eternity, which admittedly most people find had to read as people tend to be sobbing uncontrollably when reading that chapter (I know I was).

8548744
Ok I maaaaaay wanted another reason to hate Celestia even more.

That is kind of what I hope the next world will be like :)
Thank you for writing this.

8585257
Thank you! It was a lot of fun to write, I am glad you enjoyed it.

Bah! Twilight will not be living for thousands of years!

Other than that nice story. Though the very definition of eternity contradicts your statement :D

8833832
True, but this story is set in the timeline a friend made, in which Twilight dies somewhere in her seven-thousandth year from heart failure.

And while the definition of eternity does contradict what I and my friend wrote in the end so long as their good and entertaining stories I hope its a forgivable contradiction.

8834063
Entertainment over cold hard fact, in a comment that has nothing to do with the story!? NEVER! *Table flip*

Hehe, so long as it's an alternate universe I suppose it's ok, it doesn't contradict my fic when I set out the reasons why Twilight (or any of the princesses really) aren't immortal. :D

Login or register to comment