• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,687 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,687

PreviousChapters Next
Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooedown

"Applejack!" Golden Harvest beamed, her eyes glittering from the blaze of a brilliant bonfire. Behind her, ponies trotted in happy droves towards the open doors of a brightly-lit barn. Country music wafted out on jubilant strings, matching cadence with cricketsong as the whole of Ponyville gathered in one rural spot under the blanket of night. "Big Macintosh!" She reached forward and hugged the first pony within reach. "Ohhhhhhhhhh it's so great to see youuuuu!"

"Heh heh heh..." Applejack leaned back from the hug and smiled. The bonfire caught her freckles under blossoming starlight. "Wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"Aaaaand..." Golden Harvest sniffed the air, her muzzle wriggling with excitement. "What's that I smell?! That delicious fragrance?"

"Reckon it's Big Mac's cologne," Applejack said with a wink.

"Not unless Ponyville's most eligible bachelor has a habit for smelling like fritters and apple pie!" Golden Harvest winked. "Come on! Fess up! What did you bring to the party?"

Applejack leaned forward with a wink, giving her bulging saddlebags a shake. "That's a secret for yer taste buds to unlock."

"Eeeeeeyup!" Big Mac nodded with a grin.

"Still..." Applejack tilted her hat back. "Reckon yer attendees are gonna lurve it!"

"Only if you love it with them!" Golden Harvest said.

"Big Mac, maybe. Me? Eheheh..." Applejack shifted nervously where she stood. "I'm not that big on square dancin'."

"You don't have to be!" Golden Harvest beamed, tugging the brother and sister past the wooden gate of the Harvest Farmstead. "You just gotta show up and be happier than a peach in spring! This hoedown is for everyone! And the Apples are more than welcome!"

"Well, shucks, we sure can't turn down good ol' country hospitality!"

"Then perish the thought!" Golden Harvest exclaimed, pouting momentarily. "Hang out as long as you like! Ohhhh do I have some stories to tell about the latest turnip harvest from rural Torontrot!"

"Wow. The turnip harvest." Applejack gave Big Macintosh a smug grin. "Won't that be to die for."

Big Macintosh suppressed a snicker.

"No more milling about! Now git!" Golden Harvest waved them towards the barn. "It ain't a real Ponyville hootenanny until we've got some Apples in the core of thangs, heatin' it up! Whew! I feel so alive I could leap over an ocean!" She turned to greet the next pony shuffling up. "Caramel! Why, aren't you looking absolutely splending this evening, Missy?"

"Er... it's 'Mister,' but... I-I'm flattered. Really."

"Yes yes. Enough with the pleasantries. How do you get your mane so silky?"

"Well, I'm glad you asked. You see..."

Big Mac and Applejack trotted out of earshot. They whistled to themselves, chuckling breathily as they adjusted the weight of the treats they were hauling towards the noisy barn.

"Celestia help me..." Applejack rolled her eyes. "I do not have the gift of the gab."

"Eeeenope."

Applejack glared aside. "Yer not one to talk. You had it. You just gave it up."

"Mmmmmmmm..."

"Don't you 'Mmmmmmmm' me, mister! I've been having to pick up the chatterbox slack all these years! You owe me!"

"Eeenope!"

"Fine!" Applejack tilted her head up and marched ahead. "Next time a gaggle of mares hit on you, you can just fend them off on yer own."

"Guh—!" The stallion suddenly gasped, waving a hoof after her. "AJ—!"

"Hahah! Granny ain't here! You can only save yerself, ya big varmint." Applejack approached the barn entrance, squinting. "Whew-wee! It's bright in there! Oh!... uh... howdy, Mayor. That's a... mighty frilly saddle yer wearin' right there."

PreviousChapters Next