• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,665 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,665

PreviousChapters Next
Warm Enough

“We all love ya!" Rainbow Dash blurted, smiling a crescent moon towards Applejack. She hovered crookedly in place before a Canterlot storefront, overshadowing the edge of the Diamond District. "The gals all love ya regardless, y’know!” She brushed her mane back, with a slick grin. “Eheheheheh…”

Applejack stared... squinted... and—

"Mmmm." She shrugged and continued strolling down the street. “Standin’ for honesty and bein’ a perfect example for it aren’t exactly the same darn thang, Rainbow.”

Clearing her throat, Rainbow Dash floated gently after her. “You don’t say?”

“It’s all about strivin’ to be an example to others.” Applejack said gently. “Take you for example." The farm mare figured it was her time to lecture, and she did so unapologetically. The little scamp deserved it. "Yer loyal as all get-out, but there’s still times when you sneak out of a get-together to see a Wonderbolts Show! And don’tcha deny it!”

“Pfft! As if I would!” Rainbow Dash smirked in spite of Applejack's attack. “Thing is, I know that I’ll always be there for my friends when push comes to shove, so why sweat it?”

Applejack smiled. She couldn't agree more. “Exactly…”

“But I like to think I’ve got the lying thing all beat.”

Applejack chuckled. “Oh r-really?”

“Yup! In fact, I bet I lie less than even you do!”

Now Applejack felt like guffawing. “Ohhhhhh is that a challenge?"

“Hah! Sure. Whatever.” Rainbow Dash spun about in the air. “Just try me, girl!”

“Well, okay then.” Applejack tapped her chin in thought. She figured that Rainbow's mind functioned very close to the surface, and that she was expected to challenge the mare on her commitment to her friends, or her tendency to brag to other ponies or make exagerrated tales. For a brief moment, Applejack couldn't come up with a challenging inquistion. So—naturally—her green eyes wandered up and settled on Rainbow's flapping wings. "Just..." She murmured, more thinking aloud then talking. "Just why is it yer always floatin’ around yer friends when you could just as well be walkin’ on yer own four hooves?”

Rainbow Dash’s smile instantly fanished. A paleness came over her complexion.

Applejack raised an eyebrow. She cocked her head to the side. "Rainbow Dash?"

There was no response. It was as though the winged mare had completely blacked out.

The silence went on long enough to worry Applejack—but for completely random reasons.

"Are... are you okay, sugarcube?" Applejack tried following the line of Rainbow's sight, but she saw nothing but empty streets growing dimmer under the cascade of evening. "Is..." She looked up again. "Is it yer stomach? Did that cider get to you or somethin'?"

"The reason... why I always fly around... instead of trot on my hooves..." Rainbow Dash was still processing an answer to Applejack's question.

Applejack decided it was best to just let the weirdness play out.

Soon, it did.

"Ahem..." Rainbow smirked down at Applejack. "Cuz I'm still getting used to the ground."

"... ... ...beg yer pardon?"

"Uh... helllllo..." Rainbow Dash dove down until she was a few inches above the cobblestone. "You're an earth pony. You were born on the earth!"

"Well... yeah." Applejack slowly, awkwardly nodded. "Ain't we all?"

Rainbow Dash "knocked" on Applejack's forehead. "You think there's much earth up in Cloudsdale? Sniff the apples, girl! It's all puffy and wispy up there! Totally a different feel!"

Applejack straightened her hat and bangs from Rainbow's gesture. "Are you for real?"

"Pffft. Didn't Fluttershy tell you how she first discovered the ground? She fell from a great height! It almost killed her!" Rainbow shrugged. "Some Cloudsdalians don't even see the ground up close until they're an adult! And—poor Fluttershy—but she's never been the same ever since! I mean... whew... explains a lot, don't it?"

"Uh huh..." Applejack leaned her head to the side, squinting. "But you?"

"Well, duh! I only transferred from Cloudsdale to Ponyville just recently! So—technically—Fluttershy's had waaaaaaaaay more time to adjust than me!"

"Huh..." Applejack rubbed her fuzzy chin. "I never thought about it... but that's true." She smirked slightly. "Cloudsdalians sure are a flighty bunch, aren't they?"

"But Fluttershy can't afford to be—since so many of her critter friends that she has to take care of live on the ground. She's gotta bring herself down to their level, so to speak."

"Huh... how nice of her." Applejack cleared her throat. "So, does that mean yer still afraid of the ground?"

"No!" Rainbow Dash barked, her voice echoing across the storefronts. A few strolling ponies glanced her way, and she kept her cool. "Ahem... no, AJ... I'm not afraid of the ground."

"Hehheh..." Applejack smirked. "Are ya sure?"

"I just... don't like it so much." Rainbow Dash folded her forelimbs, giving the ground a nervous glance. "It's... so freaky." A gulp. "And dirty."

"Now yer startin' to sound like Rarity."

"Am not!" Rainbow Dash blinked. "Okay... now that I think about it, that does sound like Rarity."

Applejack merely chuckled.

"But—!" Rainbow Dash pointed. "If you tell a single pony soul about it—I swear to Celestia—you'll be wearing that big yoke of your brother's for a month... and backwards... if you catch my drift!"

"O-okay, sugarcube!" Applejack waved a hoof, still laughing. "It's okay! Ya dun have to convince me twice!" She took a deep breath, feeling warm inside. Privliged. "Yer secret's safe with me."

"Well, alright then." Rainbow Dash nodded, breathing easily.

"Sorry I ever doubted you."

"Don't be sorry. Now..." Rainbow Dash motioned forward. "Let's find more cider to fill our muzzles with."

Applejack troted after her. Smiling warmly.

PreviousChapters Next