• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,661

PreviousChapters Next
Wagons, Hay!

Applejack squatted in her barn...

Right before her wagon... ...

She was washing the stickiness and grass off the wheel with a sponge and a big bucket of soap... ... ...

... ... ... ...when Big Macintosh strolled in.

Bright amber afternoon light wafted through the doors behind him. He carried a wooden cart full of tools to the far corner... then unhitched himself from the reins.

Applejack exhaled through flaring nostrils. She stole a glance at her older brother through the corner of her eyes. "Mrmmmff..." She exhaled. "Howdy."

He exhaled back. "Eeeeyup."

"Home late." She dunked the sponge into the sudsy bucket once again and went after the wheel from another angle. "Lemme guess... afternoon 'tea' with Fluttershy?"

"Heheheh..." Big Macintosh grinned. "Eeeyup."

Applejack couldn't remain stoic for long. A helpless smirk crossed her lips. "Well, that's just good and fine. I'm glad yer reachin' out to somepony these days. No longer remainin' an apple hermit."

"Eeenope."

"Just be glad that you've chosen Fluttershy to get all cozy with," Applejack muttered... and the permanently resting freckle-face returned. "She's a good pony. A kind pony." She blew out the side of her muzzle. "... ... ...which is the least I can say about her closest companions..."

Silence.

Then...

"You should get out more."

Applejack froze in place. She sat up straight and turned to gawk at her brother.

The stallion remained staring at her. He smiled with confidence... and spoke with it too. "I mean it, AJ. It would do ya some good."

Applejack's green eyes narrowed. "Since when were you lecturin' me on gettin' all sociable with the ponyfolk?"

He merely smiled.

"Eugh..." A rolling of her eyes, and she returned to scrubbing the wagon wheel. "Great. Thanks to Fluttershy... my big brother's gonna be back to the unstoppable chatterbox he once was."

"Heheheh... eenope."

"Well, you've gabbed plenty for one afternoon," Applejack muttered. "And—between you and me—I dun need to bump fetlocks with other ponies unless I absolutely have to." She wrung the sponge out in the hay. "Business'n'such. Otherwise, I'm just fine and dandy with the Apple family. That's the way it's always worked out for me."

"Well maybe things can work out differently. You remember Ma and Pa's motto: 'We here at Sweet Apple Acres sure do lurve makin' new friends.' "

"Big Macintosh, I tried followin' Ma and Pa's motto. One afternoon... I went out on a limb and had a nice long talk with a fallen stranger on the front porch. And—guess what? She turned out to be a true blue varmint!"

"Hah hah hah hah!"

"Dun laugh! I mean it! She raises more stink than a hot pig on Sunday! I've got no time for such nonsense! I mean... shoot!" She growled as she re-soaked the sponge and worked on the next wagon wheel. "I've lost an entire afternoon to her daggone filly-prankin' foolishness!"

"Well... maybe if you met more ponies... you'd weed out the varmints from the ample harvest."

"Hrmmmf... like I've got time for that." Applejack smirked over her shoulder. "Are ya gonna follow yer own advice? Or do ya reckon Fluttershy might take offense to you courtin' other wilting violets."

"T'ain't the same, AJ! I'm talkin' about makin' friends..."

"You first."

Big Macintosh rolled his eyes. "Granny's right. You was always the stubborn one."

"When it helps... like gettin' a row of orchards bucked or paintin' the barn roof before it rains..."

"...or stewin' in an old barn all on yer lonesome." Big Mac pointed with an unshorn fetlock. "That's an old wagon anyways. Why all the fuss? Figured we was gonna scrap it for firewood."

"Dang it, Big Mac! Who's side are ya on?!"

"Heh heh heh heh..."

Applejack breathed... breathed... breathed... then sighed. She managed a small smile. "Alright, fine. I'll see about... sparin' some time to get to know a few more ponies... seein' as it's so dag gum important to my health!"

"Eeeeeyup."

"But t'ain't happenin' anytime soon!" Applejack stood up and brushed her hooves clean. "The Summer Sun Celebration is comin' up soon. I'm haulin' in all the distant Apples to help bake a massive feast for the Princess and all the arrivin' dignitaries. We're gonna need yer help too, Big Mac. Hours and horus spent bakin' in the kitchen. Whew-wee! To be perfectly honest... I'm not certain I'm even goin' to find hours in the day for makin' friends!"

PreviousChapters Next