• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,661

PreviousChapters Next
Just Fine

"Fwoooghlle... a-ghuu-ghuu pfffttt-Uhhhhhplejackkk!" Apple Bloom slobbered, batting at Applejack's ponytail like a cat with a string. Her eyes were bright and her tiny toddler hooves were everywhere.

"Guhhh... Apple Bloom!" Applejack hissed, cradling Apple bloom with one forelimb as she used her other three hooves to trot up the southwest hill. The stetson rested crookedly on her head, but she was able to keep it relatively straight with two perked ears. "Quit fussin', will ya?"

Apple Bloom giggled mischievously.

"Just a few seconds of peace! Land's sakes!" Heaving a sigh... Applejack managed a smile just in time to squat down before the two graves. Fresh flowers grew between the stones and the trees overshadowing them were full of bright red fruit. "Howdy Ma... Pa. Whew! It's been one heck of a week!"

The cool shadows of clouds rippled over the hilltop. Birds sang in the distance as an emerald sheen illuminated the lengths of Sweet Apple Acres beneath them.

"Big Mac's almost done hammerin' together the new produce stand for our sellin' spot in the heart of Ponyville. He's worked out a deal with the Cake family to cross-promote Sugarcube Corner. Heh... y'know, for a stallion who doesn't talk as much as he used to, he sure can convince ponies to pitch in and lend a hoof. Must be 'cuz of years of establishin' an honest reputation for himself."

"Frmmghhlushhh-Mackkyyyyy..." Apple Bloom managed. "Heee-heee-heee!"

Applejack rolled her eyes and rocked Apple Bloom slightly in her grasp. "Apple Bloom's doin' fine and dandy. She's a real talker—I swear she's three fourths Orange. T'ain't no big deal. Granny and I are switchin' turns foalsittin'. Oh! That reminds me! Granny says this year's Apple Family Reunion's gonna be held in Fillydelphia. Hope y'all dun mind a slight fudgin' with tradition. It's cuz Uncle Strudle wants to show off his new groves outside of city limits. Heh... he's at it again! Wonder if he'll ever learn to use the right kind of fertilizer."

The branches of the old apple trees above the graves flounced in the breeze. A gentle hush filled the space above the hilltop.

"As for me...?" Applejack sighed through a tired smile. "I'm doin' okay. Havin' some aches and pains in Kicks McGee... but Granny says that's just part of growin' up. She swears left and right that I'll be as large'n'bulky as Big Macintosh someday. Whew! Won't that be a sight!" A slight chuckle. The hat slumped crookedly, so she shook her ears to straighten it once again. "Farmwork ain't bad. Wish I could say the same about my schoolin'." Her muzzle scrunched slightly. "Not to say that I'm doin' bad or nothin'... but... I swear these writing assignments are gettin' out of hoof. Reckon I ain't one to judge how the education system works or whatnot... but do I really need to know about the history of the Lunar Rebellion of Whinnypeg in order to get by in life? Hah! Plus... doesn't help that this Miss Cheery-whoever has been a total tangle-hoof while subbin' for our regular teacher. Guess that's what you get for hirin' young. But she's sweet. You'd like her. I wish her the best."

Apple Bloom gnawed on Applejack's ponytail. The teenager didn't try to stop her this time.

"All in all..."

Applejack tilted the hat back.

"...things are goin' just fine."

A warm smile in a warm breeze.

"The farm is gettin' along just fine. You ask me...? It can only get better from here."

PreviousChapters Next