• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,661

PreviousChapters Next
Trippin' Apples

Light, breathy sobs kissed the air.

"... ... ...?" Applejack turned from the gravestones. She looked across the dusty lengths of Apple Bloom's room.

A little yellow figure lay curled up in bed, huddled under a lunar spotlight. She shook and quivered with every whimpering noise she made.

"Oh, darlin'..." Ears folded, Applejack trotted across the spacious floorboards. She reached in and cradled Apple Bloom. "Shhhhhhh... it's alright..." She nuzzled her little sister dearly. "I'm here. I'll protect you, sugarcube'..."

"Mmmmm..." Apple Bloom squeaked. "But... but..."

"Shhhh..." Applejack tilted the filly's chin up. "It's okay.

Flutterhy blinked up at her, eyes teary. "...but who will protect you?"

Applejack blinked. She stood with Flutterhy along the fringes of the Harvest Family barn. Faceless ponies shifted around in an endless hoedown. "I... I dun understand. I dun need protectin'..."

"Granny's so old," Fluttershy cooed. "And Big Mac is in love."

"Listen, I'm just fine!" Applejack insisted. She turned and looked across Sugarcube Corner. "If anypony needs some rescuin' and huggin', it's—" Her eyes widened.

Silver Shadow stood dead-still. Grinning. An invisible conveyor belt glided her beautiful body icily towards Applejack.

"Oh shoot. Shoot!" Applejack reached out for Fluttershy but grasped nothing but naked air. The eatery turned dark around her, filling with rain. "Pinkie Pie! A plate of wings! Make it quick!"

"Heheheheh..." A voice chuckled raspily above her. "What's the friggin' dealio?"

"I can't fly..." Applejack grimaced, dangling from a hoof as Silver Shadow drifted further and further past her hooves. "I-I can't even get off the rich fertile soil—"

"Are you blind, weirdo?" The voice cracked. "Look around you?"

Applejack looked up, eyes twitching.

Rainbow Dash winked back, dragging her through the clouds with one strong forelimb. "First you say you can't fly, but then you beg to be dropped!"

"Let me go," Applejack sneered. She looked down in the direction the rain was falling. The Apple Family and half the town gathered around the gravestones in dark clothes and darker umbrellas. They drifted into dull gray shadows. "The farm! It's... it's gettin' away!"

"You have to let go."

"Lemme go!" Applejack yanked and yanked from Rainbow's grip. "The farm! I-I'm leavin' the farm!"

"You let go!"

"Huh?" Applejack looked back to where their fetlocks connected. A hat dangled from her foalish fetlock. She placed it over her head, but the large article blinded her. All she could hear were heavy hoofsteps trotting away. "Ma! Pa! Don't go!"

The hoofsteps crunched over leaves and apple cores. The air crackled with laughter.

"Mrmmmfff..." Whimpering, the freckled filly fought to yank the hat off. "Please! Stay! You gotta see what I'm doin' here! It's all good! I haven't left the farm! Honest!" Huffing, puffing, Applejack fought with every ounce of her strength and finally yanked the bedsheet over her head. "Honest! I'm still here—!" Shrunken pupils peered out through a curtain of sweat.

Applejack's bedroom lay dormant and dull around her.

Morning light wafted through the windows, accompanied with a rooster's crow.

"... ... ..." Applejack slumped across the edge of her bed, catching her breath. "... ... ...consarn doughnuts."

One stiff leg after another, she crawled out of bed...

...and off to the bathroom for a cold morning shower.

PreviousChapters Next