• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,665 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,665

PreviousChapters Next
A Tad Bit Loopty

Strong orange hooves crunched through the grass as they trotted up the hill.

Autumn leaves were scattered over the two graves as Applejack came to a stop.

She sat down, straightened her coat, and took a deep breath—

"Hi Ma!" Apple Bloom hop-hop-hopped around her older sister. "Hi Pa!"

"Guh!" Applejack frowned. Her face was twice as beautiful despite having only half as many freckles. "Apple Bloom!"

"What?" The tiny foal spun around like a puppy, grinning from ear to ear. Twin red ponytails swayed in the breeze. "I'm only sayin' howdy!"

"T'ain't the point!" Applejack growled. The stetson rested evenly atop her head, although the brim hung low and gave her emerald eyes a persistent glare. "You got to do it all proper-like!"

Apple Bloom sat down, big eyes blinking above a tiny mouth. "Why?"

"Because this here's supposed to be a peaceful place."

"Why?"

"Because this is where Ma and Pa are buried."

"Why?"

"Because..." Applejack blinked, her tail flicking. "...they're dead?"

Apple Bloom tapped her fuzzy little chin. "What's it matter how well you rest when yer dead?"

"Rnnnngh..." Applejack face-hoofed. "Apple Bloom, we've been over this..."

"Why can't we talk to Ma and Pa back home in the kitchen?" Apple Bloom plopped back on her haunches and made leaf-angels on the hilltop. "I'm hungry! Can we ask Granny to make some flapjacks? Huh?"

"Apple Bloom—"

"Oooh! Fritters! Heeehee—Big Mac drools every time! Have you seen that?" Suddenly, Apple Bloom gasped and hopped up to her feet. "Squirrel!" She galloped off to the side of the hill, imitating Winona. "C'mere, varmint! I'm a guard pony! Heeheehee!"

Applejack rolled her eyes. As Apple Bloom continued flailing around in the background, the older sister smiled at the pair of stones and spoke into the crisp autumn air.

"Well, as y'all can see, Apple Bloom's been a bit of a hooffull. Not a big deal, really—except when it comes to bedtime. Granny says that Big Mac used to be like that at her age. Heh... havin' a hard time believin' it... but I suppose y'all would know."

Leaves drifted overhead in the gray air.

"Bet y'all are wonderin' if I've had any luck fetchin' myself a job since I graduated. Truth is, Ma... Pa... I just dun think I'm cut out for city life. Heck... village life. Every time I try helpin out around Sugarcube Corner for some bits, I end up messin' thangs up. I just... can't stop myself from wantin' to take over and tell other ponies how to do thangs. Guess I'm so plum used to takin' control that I can't settle for bein' some business' lil' lackey. Which is all good and fine. We've been earnin' a bunch of profit with the last few harvests and cider seasons. The way the family fortune's goin'... we can easily last through another year or two on what we've built up."

Applejack tilted her hat back slightly. There was a twinkle to her emerald eyes that punctuated the serious expression on her fuzzy face.

"Guess what I'm tryin' to say is... this here farm is enough to sustain me. I... I don't know if that's precisely what y'all wanted... but it suits me just fine. Ain't no place on Celestia's green earth where I feel more at home than... home."

Apple Bloom galloped gay circles around the clearing, "barking" and giggling up a storm.

Applejack couldn't help but smirk.

"It might seem a tad bit loopty... but the family's doin' more than just floatin'. We're glidin'. A promise is a promise... and I'm gonna make this place the best dang apple farm in all of Equestria... even if it takes all my life."

A wink.

"Y'all can bet on that..."

PreviousChapters Next