• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,661 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,661

PreviousChapters Next
Stew, Evening

As the following evening came to a head...

"Hahahaha!" Stu Leaves slapped his knee from where he lingered near the Apple Family's front porch. "You seriously said that?!"

"Pffft..." Applejack waved a hoof. "Big whoop. Dang near surprised me anyways that nopony in Manehattan had even heard of a 'rooster.' But it's not like I was bein' improper or nothin' in dinner conversation. I was speakin' in that hoity-toity accent that Aunt and Uncle Orange had taught me, after all. I was doin' my darnedest to fit in"

"Nopony berated you for the peculiar topic, I hope."

"Not at all! But—boy howdy did I feel like a dag-gum fool!" Applejack sighed, staring across the darkening fields with a lethargic smile. "Just what is or isn't 'proper' for cityfolk talk?! It's all so dang confusin', and stumblin' over myself just made me feel... feel..."

"Alienated?"

"I was gonna say unsophisticated."

"Pffft!" Stu Leaves shook his head. "Get out of town. You're the most sophisticated pony I know."

"Uhm... no offense..." Applejack arched an eyebrow his way. "But from the sound of thangs... I'm the only blasted pony you know in this town."

"You're mature. You're strong. You're responsible." Stu smiled her way with a wink. "And you know how to look after yourself and maintain a healthy household. If that isn't 'sophistication,' then I don't know what is. Manehatteners can go get bucked sideways."

"... ... ..." Applejack blinked. "Wow..."

"What?" Stu shrugged. "I mean no offense to your Aunt and Uncle Orange, of course."

"Reckon not. It's just..." Applejack tilted her hat back, fidgeting slightly. "Can't say I'm rightly used to... used to..."

"Being complimented?"

"Not... n-not quite that, just..." Applejack chewed on her bottom lip, suddenly avoiding his gaze.

Stu shrugged. "So? You've got good friends. I bet they compliment you all the time."

"Yeah, but t'ain't the same."

"How so?"

Applejack coughed. She stood up from the edge of the porch with sudden purpose. "It's gettin' mighty late. We've gabbed enough."

"We have?"

"Eeyup!" She curtsied. "I've gotta go wash up."

"Ah. Cook dinner for the fam." Stu smiled. "I get it."

"It was awfully nice hangin' out... again." Applejack chuckled slightly. "Reckon we got a lot done."

"No we didn't."

"We—" Applejack fumbled over her own words. She stared blankly across the fields, reconnecting her mind with the lucid moment. In truth, she couldn't remember the last time she had done a chore that day.

Stu filled in the blanks. "I showed up to help with painting the west end of the barn. We started talking about your trip to Manehattan and... well... here we are... I guess...?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"Not th-that I mind! I mean, I can totally learn about barn-painting another time and—"

"Gotta go, Stu!" Applejack spun around and marched firmly into the house. "See ya!"

"Oh! Yeah!" Stu smiled, waving awkwardly. "Uhm... catch you next time, Miss Applejack!"

"For the last time—"

"AJ! Sorry... sorry, AJ..." He backed away sheepishly, ears folded.

"Goddess alive..." Applejack rolled her eyes. "Can't learn ya anythang permanent in that thick skull."

"Eheheheh..." And he vanished along with the lingering daylight.


Inside, Applejack trotted past Granny Smith in the kitchen.

"Heya, Granny..." Applejack muttered, breezing by the pantry. "I'll be servin' up vittles in a second."

"Dun ya worry, darlin'," Granny said, hovering over a steaming stove. "I'm already fixin' a pot of stew."

"... ... ...?!?" Applejack leaned back, pupils shrunken. "What in tarnation...?!" She grimaced. "But... b-but I've got a handle on supper, Granny! You can leave it to me!"

"AJ, if I left it to you, we'd end up starvin' tonight!" Granny said with a slight chuckle. "But t'ain't no matter. I knew you was busy socializin'..."

Applejack looked nervously out the window. "How... when..." She fidgeted. "How late is it?"

"Dun worry. Apple Bloom's finishin' up homework and I'm about done." Granny Smith tapped the ladel against the edge of a pot and hummed to herself. "Only fittin'. You've been workin' so hard the past few months, accomplishin' loads for sure. Let me lend a hoof every now and then."

"Well... th-thanks, Granny..." Applejack sighed, adjusting the brim of her hat. "I dun know what came over me."

"Yer given the gab. It's quite alright." Granny Smith winked out the side of her peripheral, bearing a wrinkled smirk. "Not that bad of a catch, either."

"Granny..."

"Hyeh hyeh hyeh hyeh...!"

Applejack's freckles burned. "Granny..." Applejack leaned against the kitchen counter with deliberate purpose. "He's just a feathered oaf lookin' to learn about earth pony livin'. I'm teachin' him a few thangs and he's helpin' out with the farm in turn."

"Reckon he is, darlin'."

"Besides... with Big Mac spendin' so much time with Fluttershy as of late, it's only natural that I get some extra assistance on the side to help fill in the gap."

"Big Mac ain't the only apple doin' some 'time-spendin' these days..."

"Eugh..." Applejack tossed her fetlocks, turned around, and trotted briskly upstairs. "I'm gonna go get washed up."

"Be sure to knock on Apple Bloom's door along the way, darlin'," Granny Smith said.

"Sure thang!"

The elder remained in the kitchen, stirring the broth. She glanced up the stairs, blinking. A slow smile crept across her face yet again as she put on the finishing touches to the family meal.

PreviousChapters Next