• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,626 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Breakfast With Wrinkles

Morning at Sweet Apple Acres...

Granny Smith stood—bright and awake—in the kitchen. A pleasant aroma wafted through the household as she loomed over a skillet of flapjacks that she was preparing.

With the creak of hoofsteps, Applejack trotted down the stairs and into the room. The mare stifled a yawn and blinked in the elder's direction. "Mmmmm... mornin', Granny."

"Good mornin' yerself, AJ," Granny Smith returned without a touch of exhaustion.

"Shucks..." Applejack blinked at the gray light rolling in through the window. "I didn't sleep in or nothin', did I?"

"Eeenope." Granny Smith shook her wrinkly face. "It's plum early as ever."

Applejack stood on wobbly legs, fidgeting. "... ... ...then just what are you—?"

"Fancied makin' breakfast for everypony for once," Granny Smith said.

"Oh." Applejack blinked again. "Ya didn't have to do that."

"Of course not. I wanted to." Granny Smith snorted while making more pancakes. "Besides... you spent the entire week and all of yesterday workin' hard on the Sisterhooves Social. Seems only proper that I pay ya back for givin' me a breather."

"Awwwwwwww... Granny..." Applejack smiled. She trotted behind the elder and nuzzled her gently from behind. "It was my pleasure to do that! And it turned out to be a mighty fine event. Dun ya think so?"

"Ain't sayin' it wasn't, darlin'," Granny said. "Just that you've been workin' mighty hard and you could do to have a breakfast made by somepony else for once."

"Well..." Applejack strolled limply around the kitchen, hung on a tired smile. "It's mighty nice of you. I'd hate to turn down yer kind offer. Whew..." She stifled another yawn. "...Reckon I have been missin' sleep somethin' awful as of late."

"Mmmmhmmm..." Granny grasped a spatula and turned over a splotch of pancake batter. She freed her muzzle to murmur over her shoulder: "Especially after last night."

Applejack shuffled to a stop. Her brow furrowed, and she aimed her confused freckles in Granny's direction. "I'm afraid I dun read you."

"You was up real late last night," Granny Smith said. "Must have been a really swell conversation."

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"Not that I mean to pry, but I hafta ask..." Granny's ears twitched. "What's the feller's name?"

Silence—save for the sizzle of broiling pancakes.

"He's just some ditzy pegasus who knew nothin' about apples."

"Uh huh." Granny Smith nodded. "So Miss Hooves' has a brother in town?"

"What?! No! He's not that mare's brother!"

"Then who is he?"

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..." Applejack's cheeks went red as she frowned. "He ain't nopony!"

"Uh huh..."

"I mean it!" Applejack tilted her chin up. "We was just havin' a friendly conversation."

"Eeeyup. Reckon it was."

"Was what?"

"Mighty friendly."

"Grnnngh... y'know what, Granny?" Applejack stumbled out of the kitchen. "I'm gonna go check on the livestock. Give a holler once the pancakes are ready, will ya?"

Granny Smith hummed quietly to herself. After a while, she slid open the kitchen window to the sound of chickens clucking outside. She hollered to the orange shape milling about the coop: "Is he seein' anypony else in Ponyville?!"

"I'm feedin' the chickens, Granny!" a voice cracked outside.

Granny Smith chuckled to herself and returned to her pancakes with a mischievous smirk.

PreviousChapters Next