• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,653 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,653

PreviousChapters Next
Fixer-Upper

"Mrmmfff... grnngh!" Applejack heaved barrels of apples off her cart and onto the supply area of the train station. Panting for breath, she paused to swipe her brow before moving onto the next bushel.

"Hey! Applejack!" Amethyst Star trotted by, carrying a saddlebag of things. She smiled at the farm mare. "Excellent Social yesterday! Dinky couldn't stop talking about it! Fell asleep with a smile on her face!"

"Good to know, sugarcube!" Applejack waved back with a smile and continued lugging the barrel. "Rnnngh... come back next year, y'all!"

"You bet on it!"

Not long after, Blossomforth flew low overhead. "Applejack! Thanks for the great time yesterday! Seems like it gets better every year!"

"It was only good cuz ponies like you showed up!" Applejack managed between heaving grunts. "Best wishes to you and yer family!"

"Thanks a million! You're the greatest!" And Blossomforth flew off beyond view.

Applejack pushed the last barrel into place and caught her breath. As a stallion worker approached her, she grasped a pen and signed off on a clipboard.

"Sounds like everypony had a real hoot at the farm yesterday, Miss Applejack," the pony said with a smile.

"Mmmmmhmmmm..." Applejack signed off and spat the pen out. "Everythang went like a freshly-sharpened plow. Couldn't have asked for better weather, either."

"I heard Rainbow Dash kicked the clouds clear."

"Heh... yeah..." Applejack bore a sweaty smile. "She dun good by the farm. In some way or another, everypony pitched in mighty fine. Makes me dang proud of this town."

"Well, lemme know when there's a Brotherhood Bangarang and I'll be the first to volunteer some baked good or something!"

"Pfffft..." Applejack snicked. "What kind of a name is that?"

"Hehehe... I said I'd do the baking." The stallion winked. "Better hire somepony else for the namin'."

"True that. I'll talk Big Macintosh up about it sometime. I bet that'd be a mighty fine event."

"Granted, there'd be a lot less qualifying participants, but still..."

"Eh, who's keepin' count? We all exist to have fun at some point or another."

"Amen to that. I'll make sure these apples get on the next train to Trottingham."

"Thanks a million." Applejack tilted her hat and made to leave with the cart. "You take care of yerself now."

"Will do, Miss Applejack. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Applejack hitched herself to the wagon and left the train depot. She had crossed no more than two blocks when she heard a familiar voice. Neck craning, she turned the corner and looked down the street to where a winged stallion was kneeling beside a parked carriage.

"You really don't need to trouble yourself, sir," an old pony said, shifting nervously. "I'm just a five minute trot away from the repair shop. I'm sure I could get one of them to fix the wheel for me..."

"Nonsense!" Stu Leaves said. He licked his muzzle as he slid the wheel into place, affixing it to the axel of the vehicle. "It's a quick fix! Let's save you some bits, why don't ya?"

"Well, I'm all for saving money. But... I-I also wanna make sure that my wagon's repaired properly..."

Applejack sighed hard, rolling her eyes. With tired motions, she unhitched herself from her cart and prepared to trot over and save the day—

"There we go!" Stu Leaves exclaimed. Leaning back, he pushed the wagon off its temporary supports and rolled it harmlessly a few feet down the street. "Good as new!"

Applejack stopped in place, blinking.

The old stallion was no less surprised. "Wow..." He pushed the carriage back and first, grinning with joy. "Even the old squeak is gone!"

"Eeyup!" Stu Leaves smiled with pride. "Had to grease that baby up! Felt like it had been a long time. That's probably why the old supports got corroded."

"And you just happened to have spares?"

"Heheh... let's just say it doesn't hurt to be prepared."

"What do I owe you, good sir?"

"Nothing! Just a smile and a wave will do!"

"Well, if this town doesn't fail to surprise me... even at my age..."

"Heheheh..." Stu Leaves bowed ever so slightly. "...wouldn't be in the spirit of Ponyville to ask for anything."

"No. I reckon not. You're a real life saver."

"Only because I learned from the best."

Applejack gazed at the scene for a few moments. With a sigh of relief, she turned to go back to her cart. That's when she heard:

"Say!" Stu Leaves' voice chirped brightly in the air. "Didja know that apples are twenty-five percent air?!"

Applejack immediately spun around. She blinked towards the conversation in disbelief.

The old stallion lingered by the wagon, rubbing his chin. "Why... uh... no. I didn't. How's that a thing?"

Stu Leaves shrugged. "Just one of nature's curious secrets. It's why apples float on the top of a barrel of water."

"Like durin' apple-bobbin' games."

"Right!" Stu grinned, his wingtips fluttering. "And did you know that apples have a special acid that can help brighten teeth? What's more, you put 'em in a bag with other fruit and it'll help ripen them faster!"

"That's... uh... mighty interestin'... uh..."

"There's over eight thousand types of apples grown all across Equestria!" Stu Leaves said with a proud smirk. "And—you know what? Five of the most delicious types of 'em are grown here in Ponyville!"

"Ya dun say..."

"Over yonder in Sweet Apple Acres!" Stu Leaves winked at the stranger. "For a real treat, go and have yerself a sample! You won't regret it! Honest!"

"Lemme guess. Should I tell 'em you sent me?"

"Pffft. Nah. Just figured a fellow neighbor deserves to have their day sweetened, and that's the best way around these parts to do so." Stu Leaves saluted and flapped his wings. "Well, enjoy your new ride! I gotta go kick some clouds!"

"Best of luck to ya, sonny."

"Thanks! You're too kind!" Swooooooosh! Stu Leaves flew off.

"... ... ..." Applejack watched from a distance. She narrowed her eyes... then looked at the freshly-fixed wagon... then back at the patch of sky where Stu vanished. A crooked smile crossed her muzzle... and she slowly shook the humor off her tired lips. Gaze lingering, she nevertheless turned and went back to her wagon.

PreviousChapters Next