• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,624 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,624

PreviousChapters Next
Wane

An hour later...

Dinner still wasn't made.

The gift basket lay on the counter in the same spot where it had been last touched.

Applejack sat on a stool, staring out the screened window of the kitchen door. Glossy eyes trailed the shadowed outline of orchards and orchards stretching towards the lush horizon.

Her shoulders rose and fell with contemplative breaths.

At some point, there was the pitter patter of tiny hooves. The front door opened, then slapped shutā€”followed by a dragging book bag and a filly's voice.

"Hey, y'all! I'm home!" Apple Bloom shuffled through the house. "Sorry for not givin' word sooner! Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are havin' a sleepover at Sweetie's place and I got caught up in helpin' them knit this really sweet hammock. Not sure I can get my special talent in hammock makin' butā€”boy oh boyā€”a filly can dream, can't she?!"

Silence.

"Granny? Big Mac?"

Slowly, Apple Bloom shuffled into the kitchen.

She came to a stop, blinking. "AJ?"

More silence.

"AJ... is... is everythang okay?"

Slowly, Applejack turned her deadpan face to look at her younger sister. She produced a soft smile. "Dun mind me, Apple Bloom." She glanced once more out the screened door. "Been workin' a long day at the field. Reckon..." She gulped. "...reckon I could use a sabbatical." Her ears drooped. "We all could."

Apple Bloom shifted where she stood. "O... K..." The little pony cleared her throat. "I get it! You had a long day! Y'know... the sun's still out!" She grinned wide. "Want me to gallop into town real quick and order us some Chineigh's?"

"No, Apple Bloom, ain't yer place to..." Applejack stopped in mid-sentence. Her muzzle scrunched. "...didn't ya just say that Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were havin' themselves a sleepover?"

"Yeah..." Apple Bloom sighed. "But... y'know... I figured that I'd already be in enough hot water not tellin' y'all that I was comin' home late from school. So... didn't want to miss dinner on top of that. But, if yer too tired to cook somethin'... uhhhh..."

Before she could finish, Applejack spoke: "Yer a real considerate lil' filly, Apple Bloom." A warm breath. "I know you never got to know Ma and Pa that much, but they'd be mighty proud of ya. You've got an honest soul."

Apple Bloom blinked. "Wow. Uhm..." A nervous smile. "Jee, thanks. That's really... uhm..."

"I've got an idea, sugarcube." Applejack stood up slowly and trotted in the filly's direction. "Sounds like you and the other two gals have got somethin' goin' with this sleeping bag business of yersā€”"

"Hammock," Apple Bloom corrected. "And it's only cuz Scootaloo thought it up... just like she thinks everythang up." Her cheeks pouted slightly. "I swear, that filly will make any excuse she can to get off the ground..."

"Still... would be a real shame to miss out on gettin' a cutie mark on the same night as yer friends." Applejack caressed the mare's bow, smiling. "Ya think Sweetie Belle's family can spare another muzzle to feed?"

"Well, sure! I mean, they asked me, butā€”"

"How 'bout takin' them up on their offer tonight?"

Apple Bloom gasped. "You mean I get to sleep over with Scoots and Sweetie?"

"Sure! I mean, why the hay not?" Applejack tapped the mare's nose. "Heheh... let's just say you've earned it tonight."

"Yeeeehaaa!" Apple Bloom hopped up and down in place. "Oh, AJ! AJ! Thank you! I promise I'll have all my homework done by Sunday! Just you wait!"

"Reckon I won't have to. Now git!"

"Woohoo!" Apple Bloom waddled away at a breakneck speed. "Cutie Mark Crusader Sleepover, here we come!"

"Dun forget to pack yer toothbrush!" Applejack called out through the house. As she heard Apple Bloom's hoofsteps bounding up the stairs, she exhaled with a shudder and murmured to the stale air of the kitchen. "I love ya..."

Silence.

Applejack returned to her stool. With a sniffle, she resumed staring out at the orchards. She continued doing so, even as she heard the front door slamming behind Apple Bloom... and the gentle cascade of night drawing over the farm like a shroud.

PreviousChapters Next