• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,626 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,626

PreviousChapters Next
Gift Horses and Such

"Ten seasons?!?" Applejack leaned back, blinking.

Fancy Pants casually looked up from his open briefcase full of notes. "Why... yes." He smirked slightly, raising a hoof. "Is that a problem, Miss Applejack?"

"Well, no, just..." Applejack stood up. With her grandmother and brother watching, she paced around the wood-furnished meeting room. "Heavens to betsy... we've only met today, and yet... yet..." She swiveled to face the gentlecolt head-on. "Yer willin' to put that much faith in our crops for ten seasons worth of harvestin'?"

"Dun rock the boat on smoothe waters, apple seed..." Granny Smith uttered the the side of her muzzle.

"Ha ha! I see your humility becomes you!" Fancy Pants said.

"No it doesn't!" Applejack stomped her hoof. She blinked. "Er..." She looked nervously at Big Macintosh. "Does it?"

"Miss Applejack..." Fancy Pants stood up, brushing off his jacket vest. "Simply put, you and your family are the finest harvesters of apple produce in the Heartland. It's something built out of sincerity, tradition, and multiple generations of loyalty."

"Heheh..." Big Mac smiled wide. "Eeeyup."

"And it so happens that the biggest business deal of my career hinges on the trade of said apple produce with the residents of Granite Mountain. From what I understand, you currently do not have a steady buyer of your fruit."

"Well, no. Reckon we don't."

"Well, bully!" Fancy Pants smiled wide. "After having sampled some of your freshly-plucked delicacies, I must say that the buffalo of Granite Mountain are entitled to exceptional quality food! And—from what I now fully understand—they can be supplemented in quantity as well! The way I see it, it's a win-win-win scenario! And the records that your fine Mayor has kept maintains that you and your family are certifiably consistent with your harvests. So—I see no reason why not to commit for such an extended period! To tell the truth, these sorts of long-term deals aren't exactly uncommon where I come from. I actually considered discussing a twenty season agreement, but I did not want to make you overcommit so soon."

"Twenty... s-seasons...?" Big Mac managed to stammer.

"We can definitely partner up with you for ten seasons, Mr. Pants," Applejack said.

"Please, just 'Fancy' will do."

Applejack smiled delicately. "Twenty seasons would be no problem, neither. I'm just..." She bit the edge of her lip. "...I can't help but wonder just where you got this sample from. I mean—who referred you to us? How did you know that we was starvin' for a new business partner?"

"Who cares?!?" Granny Smith rocked forward jubilantly in her seat. "Ten seasons?! Twenty?! Sign us up! Where's the pen?"

"Granny—" Applejack reached out.

Fancy Pants chuckled. "Please..." He held his fetlock up. "I do not mean to rush you." He nodded at Applejack. "In this day and age, I don't blame you for having reservations. If this agreement seems overtly fortuitous to you, then I am happy to have opened the door. But you have my word that there is no catch and we have no desire—nor means—of taking advantage of your good faith." He smiled, adjusting his monocle. "Ask any pony in the financial circles. Not that I mean to brag, but my reputation for honesty precedes itself. You can start with inquiring of your fine Mayor."

"Well..." Applejack chuckled slightly. "If there's anythang I respect, it's honesty."

"Yes. Quite."

"So... that's where I'm gettin' hung up on the fact that you're here in the first place." Applejack blinked. "Who exactly pointed you in our direction? I mean... I-I'm grateful... but it's all so sudden!" Her pupils shrank. Ears flattening, she looked nervously across the room. "It... it wasn't Filthy Rich himself, was it?"

"No, madame, it was not."

"You know Filthy?" Granny Smith asked.

"Indeed I do. Enough to know that he makes brash decisions that end up hurting himself and those who are connected to him—financially and domestically."

"Hmmmmmmmm..." Applejack hummed.

Fancy Pants momentarily removed his monocle. "Miss Applejack... you have my word... this agreement has nothing to do with Filthy Rich... nor was it remotely his idea in any form."

"Then... why can't you tell us what brought you here?" Applejack asked.

"Because, my little pony..." Fancy Pants smiled gently, placing the monocle back in place. "Honesty is divine... but integrity more so. I made a promise to someone... and now I am here to help you help me... with the end goal being our integral assistance of one another. Must we soil the matter with arbitrary illumination?"

Applejack fidgeted. She felt a tickle against her scalp, and she pulled her hat tight. "No sir. I reckon that..." She smiled back, exhaling warmly. "...reckon we should just pull the cart along."

PreviousChapters Next