• Published 21st Oct 2016
  • 4,651 Views, 2,081 Comments

Appledashery Vol. Two - Just Essay



Rainbow Dash and Applejack have a long, joyous, arduous relationship.

  • ...
26
 2,081
 4,651

PreviousChapters Next
Raze this Barn, Raze this Barn

Silver Shadow was giggling. The lanternlight glinted off her mane and eyelashes, forming a pretty sheen.

Applejack swallowed. She trotted towards her. "Baby steps. Right..." Her ears perked up, orange and fuzzy. "I can do this... I can do this..."

Ponies trotted by. Silver Shadow glanced casually through the crowd. Her neck craned, dangling with pearls. There was a flounce to her dress' sleeves as she raised the half-empty cup to her fair muzzle one last time.

"She's a pony... and she fancies you... and you like ponies, so..." Applejack took a deep breath, marching. "I can do this... I can do this..."

Silver's gaze wavered... lifted... and reflected an orange shape. And orange shape growing closer... firmer... warmer. Her face lit up. Ears twitching as a smile slowly blossomed into being.

Applejack's hoof scuffled. She nearly slipped on sawdust. Catching herself took half-a-breath from her lungs and she wheezed forth: "I can do this. She's purdy as the dickens. She's a mare..." Her muzzle hung open. Her steps faltered ever so slightly. "...she's a mare... I'm a mare... a country mare who smells like sweat and l-livestock."

Silver quickly got rid of the drink, ruffled her beautiful mane, and straightened her sparkly blouse. Then, with elegant poise, she took the first of many steps towards Applejack.

Applejack's ears drooped. Her pupils shrank. "... I can't do this... I can't do this..."

Ponies laughed.

Dancing hooves thundered closer and closer. A turnip tempest imploding all around. Silver came closer; Applejack could see an orange reflection in her pearly-white perfect teeth.

"Guhhhh... uhhhh..." Applejack sweated. She looked left. She looked right. "Filthy!" She cast a muscular forelock outward and hooked in a gasping older stallion wearing a necktie. "You frugal old sonuvagun! What brings you to a rambunctious hootenanny like this?"

"Ohhh! Uhm... uhhh..." Filthy Rich took a moment or two to straighten the cracks in his deep voice. He adjusted his collar and smiled awkwardly at the mare who was cradling him. "Ponyfolk! I suppose! What are you—"

"A dance between ol' family friends?!?" Applejack drawled loudly, her voice echoing against the barn's support beams. "Why, I thought you'd never ask!"

"But I didn't—Whoah!" Filthy Rich went cross-eyed as he was flung into a dosey-do.

"Whewwww-wee!" Applejack smiled through her sweat as she and Filthy twirled swiftly towards the exit. "Sure is nice to be livin' it up with longtime trusted friends ain't it?" She sensed several ponies staring at her—including a pair of blank, blinking eyes belonging to a limp silver shape. "Heheh... ya gotta lurve tradition! And I'm a traditional k-kind of mare!"

"Y-yes! Most c-certainly!" Filthy wheezed, dangling in her grasp. "And you're also very st-strong!"

"It's what I get for bein' an Apple! Of course..." Applejack winked. "Pa never taught me how to square dance good and proper. Too busy buckin' apples and harvestin'... which is the one thang I lurve more than anythang else in the world!"

"Well, th-that would certainly explain why we're waltzing!" Filthy Rich chuckled... then muttered out the side of his disheveled muzzle. "And you're leading..."

"What's that???" Applejack tilted her orange snout towards the heavens. "You say you need forty whole bushels of apples by midday tomorrow?"

"What? Applejack, I didn't say—"

"Shoot! Shoot on a shoot stick!" Applejack dropped Filthy Rich ("Whoah!" Thud!). "Reckon I'd gotta make like a fritter and vanish from the plate! It's been fun, y'all! My thanks to the Harvest family for bein' so... ... ...harvesty!" And she turned tail and galloped out in a flash.

Big Mac stood beside the plow, feeling its handles with a caressing fetlock.

"HiyaBigMac!" An orange blur sailed past him. "Good-byeBigMac!"

"Hmmm?" Big Mac looked all around... even as his windblown mane and tail settled in place.

"Uhm..." A dainty yellow hoof tapped his leg. "Erm... excuse me...?"

The stallion turned around. He blinked. At last, he looked down.

A demure, wilted pegasus stood with his shadow. She looked up with the softest of smiles. "I... I heard that your name is Big Macintosh." Turquoise eyes sparkled with starlight. "Is that correct?"

Big Mac stared and stared. His coat turned twice as crimson as he slurred, "Eeeeyupppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp..."

PreviousChapters Next